• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking wild posts from Crackhead Bob. I really hope he was posting in good faith but the ban looks pretty fair.

I asked a pretty silly question myself yesterday (in good faith, to be fair). About how to handle groceries when you come back home. Sometimes people are just not very educated on certain subjects, please don't judge :x

IDK maybe they had a history of trolling?

HazySaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
West Yorkshire, UK
How old are you if you don't mind me asking? I'm 45. I have kind of a potbelly, but I'm a regular bicyclist. I also eat a very routine, repetitive diet that includes 2 bagel sandwiches with turkey breast and spinach. Pretzels or chips depending on the day of the week. 2 Fruits banana and apple over the day. 2 to 3 carrots for fibre. A cup of low fat yogurt. Wash, rinse, repeat. Day in day out. Except for on Sundays, where I order chinese. i'M Autistic. so routine is no issue for me, same with leaving my room. I could live here for a full year without leaving it no problem, as long as I have internet connection and electricity. I don't have diabetes or have smoked in my life. Ever. Never drank beer, but I do have an affinity for Tropicana Fruit Punch. That's always been my weakness, and I hope that it isn't to my detriment in the coming days and weeks.
27, but I am a little concerned cause I have asthma. Like I say though, other than the occasional cough I feel fine

Mar 29, 2018
I think that's just a general dickhead thing, and not specific to any country.
A lot of European countries (especially central southern ones) are terrible for queueing. I mean, I'm from the UK where we're obsessed with queueing for everything. But it's literally shocking how many people cut straight past queues in central southern European countries, often with pushing or brushing by (seen it heinously in Spain, Italy and France).

I asked a pretty silly question myself yesterday (in good faith, to be fair).
Sometimes people are just not very educated on certain subjects, please don't judge :x

IDK maybe they had a history of trolling?
Yeah their ban note says they had a history of similar behaviour in similar threads. I worry if they were being sincere this might have made them feel much worse. They apparently have a gun in their house...

But if trolling, it was all BS anyway. Asking one basic question like you did isn't the same as borderline spamming the thread with bonkers shit like "can the virus pass through door cracks".

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017
They expect the pandemic to last for probably two years, depending on when the vaccination is available. "It will take years to reach the expected infection rate of 60-70%".
Not probably. The source on welt.de says that in the extreme case the current restrictions could last up to two years and the situation has to be reevaluated constantly.
They won't close all non-essential shops for two years straight, because that would probably kill more people than the Virus, even if 100% of the population gets it.
We will see a downward spiral like in China around May and then open up everything again in June at the absolute latest. Then coming Fall/Winter we will enter another lockdown because of growing numbers. Rinse and repeat for probably two years.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018

Some Iranians have tried to force their way into the Shrine of Fatima in Qom after it was temporarily closed due to the coronavirus outbreak.

Outspoken MP Ali Motahhori called for their prosecution, stressing that apart from the health threat, they had defamed Islam.

Experts expressed concern at the start of the outbreak about the decision not to close the Shia Muslim shrine, which is visited by millions of pilgrims every year.The shrine's custodian, Ayatollah Mohammed Saeedi, said at the time that it should be kept open as a "house for cure" and that "people should be encouraged to come".

Oct 28, 2017
What about ordering online? I never tried that before

In the last few days I've used Targets Shipt service and their curbside pickup. I tipped the shopper from Shipt an intense amount given the circumstances.
Both service were awesome.

I'm also using misfitsMarket.com to get some veggies and fruit into my home. That has also been an amazing service.

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
Robert-Koch-Institut set the german warning system from moderate to high (highest on the scale).

According to them number of ICU patients is exploding and hospitals are getting close to being overwhelmed in some areas.

Are you serious? I'm starting to get worried about my father who is working in Germany as an engineer and the company he works at is still conducting business as usual.
So far I was quite calm because Germany has a really low death rate and health care is one of the best in the world.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Not probably. The source on welt.de says that in the extreme case the current restrictions could last up to two years and the situation has to be reevaluated constantly.
They won't close all non-essential shops for two years straight, because that would probably kill more people than the Virus, even if 100% of the population gets it.
We will see a downward spiral like in China around May and then open up everything again in June at the absolute latest. Then coming Fall/Winter we will enter another lockdown because of growing numbers. Rinse and repeat for probably two years.

yeah, it will go in waves...and sometime next year there should be a vaccine so it will be better than this year hopefully.

nevertheless, i think it will be getting serious in the coming weeks. people are still lying in the sun together, delivery services are driving from house to house giving packets personally to people and restaurants still open from 6am to 6pm, planes are still flying and coming in...i foresee that there will be complete lockdown coming next week and cases will have exploded by then.

Naru

May 11, 2019
Sorry I misread your post, you said the pandemic will probably last up to two years, not the measures.
Yes but checking exactly what he said even involves the measures put in place. He said: "Im extremen Fall bestünde diese Möglichkeit", sagte Wieler auf die Frage, ob die Beschränkungen länger in Kraft bleiben müssten." which basically says there is a small chance. Won't happen though.

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017
yeah, it will go in waves...and sometime next year there should be a vaccine so it will be better than this year hopefully.

nevertheless, i think it will be getting serious in the coming weeks. people are still lying in the sun together, delivery services are driving from house to house giving packets personally to people and restaurants still open from 6am to 6pm, planes are still flying and coming in...i foresee that there will be complete lockdown coming next week and cases will have exploded by then.
I hope by end of week, when we will hit 20.000 cases, there will be a complete lockdown. I think the measures, apart from the restaurants, are currently ok, but the lockdown has to come sooner or later.
Also the weather is not playing nice, because people - like you said - want to enjoy the sun. I only go for walks alone with my family, we can't keep our 5 year old isolated inside the whole time, so we go for biking on paths where you maybe meet 1 or 2 other people. Thankfully, everyone we met so far is very strict in keeping distance of at least 2m.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
Huh? So what is this?

thehill.com

Tests indicate coronavirus can survive in the air

Federally funded tests conducted by scientists from several major institutions indicated that the novel form of coronavirus behind a worldwide outbreak can survive in the air for several hours.A st…

A WHO expert talked about this yesterday. Aerosolisation refers to procedures in hospitals that generate aerosols. Regular people won't be exposed to coronavirus aerosols.
Various medical treatments can generate aerosols from saliva/mucus that would not normally be aerosolised. It's probably not a high amount, but if you're a doctor/nurse in a ward performing aerosolising proceedures, you could be at a high risk of infection unless you wear a full aerosol-filtering mask.
Here's an article.

Coughing is not enough to generate an aerosol.
I'm not sure exactly what hospital processes generate aerosols, but if you're trying to get medicine into someone's lungs to relieve pneumonia symptoms, you might use a nebuliser - which is specifically designed to take a liquid and turn it into an aerosol. If coronavirus-laden spit or mucus gets into the nebluliser, you could generate aerosols.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Why wouldn't the numbers grow immediatly after you lift the restrictions? It might happen a bit slower because some people have developed immunity but that'll only be a few hundred thousands or so?
At some point early you will lose the track of infection chains again because of undetected cases and the spread will just repeat.

There have to be measures to prevent that when you loosen restrictions but I can't come up with anything 100% effective. Way more and way faster testing accessible to everyone is definitely important. Also requiring entry in attendance lists to basically everywhere you go to better track infection chains.
Risk groups also still have to be isolated in some way. Events with more than a thousand people will probably be a no-no for a long time and you still have the headache of all the people travelling in and out of the country.

We will see what happens when China lifts their restrictions I guess.

Last edited:

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017
Why wouldn't the numbers grow immediatly after you lift the restrictions? It might happen a bit slower because some people have developed immunity but that'll only be a few hundred thousands or so?
At some point early you will lose the track of infection chains again because of undetected cases and the spread will just repeat.

There have to be measures to prevent that when you loosen restrictions but I can't come up with anything 100% effective. Way more and way faster testing accessible to everyone are definitely important. Also requiring entry in attendance list to basically everywhere you go to better track infection chains.
Risk groups also still have to be isolated in some way.

We will see what happens when China lifts their restrictions I guess.
I really don't know why the numbers wouldn't explode immediately, more of a hope I guess? Like i linked on last page, we seem to be doing pretty OK with upping our testing capacity (two weeks ago 35.000 tests, last week 100.000 tests - without hospital tests). So we just have to hope that we can confirm like 95% of the acutal cases and people keep self-isolating when having symptoms for the whole year(s) to come.....

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
My partner's co-worker has been ill, and her family has tested positive. My partner is now showing mild symptoms also. My work has told me to keep away for now, so we'll be self-isolating.

I also know my workplace will be instigating a restricted rota with half staff one week and the rest the other, with everyone spaced out to minimise contact. Staff that can work from home will be doing so. We're a massive hardware company so a lot of people will still be depending on us for tools and supplies during this crisis.

My anxiety is through the roof, to say the least.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
My partner's co-worker has been ill, and her family has tested positive. My partner is now showing mild symptoms also. My work has told me to keep away for now, so we'll be self-isolating.

I also know my workplace will be instigating a restricted rota with half staff one week and the rest the other, with everyone spaced out to minimise contact. Staff that can work from home will be doing so. We're a massive hardware company so a lot of people will still be depending on us for tools and supplies during this crisis.

My anxiety is through the roof, to say the least.

I hope it goes okay for everyone who is affected, do what you can to keep healthy with fluids, exercise, rest and track progress over the next month.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
I live downtown and usually I begin to hear hustle and bustle outside around 5am. It's eerily quiet.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
Spain just get updated.

+~2000 cases (11,178 total)
+~150 deaths (491 total)

elpais.com

Últimas noticias del coronavirus, en directo | La Organización Mundial de la Salud advierte: “Cuando los Gobiernos difieren, la gente muere”

La OMS respalda la decisión del Gobierno de declarar el estado de alarma en Madrid | Fuertes atascos en las salidas de la capital | Interior despliega 7.000 agentes de Policía y Guardia Civil | Italia supera los 5.000 casos diarios por primera vez desde marzo | Francia suma 20.339 casos en las...

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Spain just get updated.

+~150 deaths (491 total)

elpais.com

Últimas noticias del coronavirus, en directo | La Organización Mundial de la Salud advierte: “Cuando los Gobiernos difieren, la gente muere”

La OMS respalda la decisión del Gobierno de declarar el estado de alarma en Madrid | Fuertes atascos en las salidas de la capital | Interior despliega 7.000 agentes de Policía y Guardia Civil | Italia supera los 5.000 casos diarios por primera vez desde marzo | Francia suma 20.339 casos en las...
And 1028 people cured, almost double from the total yesterday (530)

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Why only rely on products? Is it the outcome and mindset of capitalism?

Effectiveness-of-DIY-homemade-masks-vs-surgical-masks-at-filtering-coronavirus.jpg

This is great. Thanks for this.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Spain just get updated.

+~150 deaths (491 total)

elpais.com

Jesus Christ.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I only heard/read about possible vaccines in the future... how long it takes etc.

But do we know if there are any efforts to find a cure/medicine once you have it? Or is it like a flu/noro virus that simply doesn't give a shit about medicine once you have it, and all you can do is to ease the symptoms?

Sorry if I missed it in the thread.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
How consistent have the recoveries been? I know there have been some relapses/ lung damage but I hope for the vast majority it ends up being full recovery. We need some lovely hope in regards to this! :)

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
Well... I just got a called to come to work today on my day off (work at a residential building in NYC)...according to the superintendent, I have to cover for my co worker who apparently has a fever. Not sure what to expect....

52club

Oct 27, 2017
I only heard/read about possible vaccines in the future... how long it takes etc.

But do we know if there are any efforts to find a cure/medicine once you have it? Or is it like a flu/noro virus that simply doesn't give a shit about medicine once you have it, and all you can do is to ease the symptoms?

Sorry if I missed it in the thread.

Based on posts earlier in the thread, testing has begun, but being widely available is speculated to be at least a year (and likely more).

DeepChord

Jan 21, 2018
So, germany will probably hit 10k this evening. I think harder restrictions are overdue. Where I live (Bavaria, Hof) it's like nothing has changed.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Spain just get updated.

+~150 deaths (491 total)

elpais.com

When I saw that footage of clearwater Florida at the beach yesterday I immediately thought of the pictures of Spanish people at the beach and on the coast partying (that footage taken from a car was mostly brits at bars on the coast).

It was posted on this thread last week some time but I can't find it. It's already here in the US and has been for awhile. The same with the footage of Disney world from Saturday night from the magic Kingdom fireworks. So many parents with kids.

Idiots all of them. Just want to thank era for having so much info aggregated on this thread. It's been really helpful to stay informed.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
27, but I am a little concerned cause I have asthma. Like I say though, other than the occasional cough I feel fine
I'm 33 with the same. Had fairly bad, but manageable, shortness of breath last week but that has mostly been alleviated, just can't shake the cough.

Really hoping it isn't this but we just have to push through. Should things get worse then try to call through but otherwise just keep yourself hydrated, fed and rested

iyox

Oct 25, 2017

Resetti

Oct 25, 2017
CUHK finds virus in stool samples when others clear
Researchers at Chinese University's Faculty of Medicine said on Tuesday that they have found the new coronavirus in the stool of some confirmed patients whose respiratory system samples had tested negative.
The researchers said they had tested some 300 sputum, nasal, saliva, blood, urine and stool samples collected from 14 people known to have been infected with Covid-19.
The results showed that sputum had the highest level of the virus among all the samples. But in three of the patients, only their stool samples contained the virus.
https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/component/k2/1514993-20200317.htm?spTabChangeable=0

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Huh? So what is this?

thehill.com

Tests indicate coronavirus can survive in the air

Federally funded tests conducted by scientists from several major institutions indicated that the novel form of coronavirus behind a worldwide outbreak can survive in the air for several hours.A st…

The headline seems to be contradicting the scientific quotations in the article itself. The headline is talking about air, while the scientists are talking about aerosols.

"Our results indicate that aerosol and fomite transmission of HCoV-19 is plausible, as the virus can remain viable in aerosols for multiple hours and on surfaces up to days,"

An aerosol is a mixture of either solid or liquid particles in a gas, in this case air. Those are the droplets that are floating around I was talking about to make things easier to understand.
It's true the virus is only surviving because people spit or sneeze into the air, but the infected droplets will sink down and may survive for quiet some time on the surface of things. Something that was already assumed, but it is always good to have certainty. By the way, that's why washing hands is important. Because you touch surfaces.
But that's the only thing those scientists are saying and that's not equal to "coronavirus can survive in the air". That's false and even the article itself says so.

Phoony17

Oct 27, 2017
Narangba, AUS
A lot of chatter indicating Australia will go into full lockdown from Thursday. Seems to be based on DFAT issuing this statement.

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade has recommended Australians abroad return home as soon as possible via commercial flights.

Not sure if I'm in the 'believe it' camp yet.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
What does this even mean? Maybe it's my fever but some posts are getting more confusing.

Yep, sorry, english isn't my Mother language

Now we need a derogatory certificate to go outside.
You can only go outside for work (if working from home isn't possible), for health purpose, for groceries or for sport (but alone).
You must have this certificate on you, otherwise you can be fined by police.