• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tlaloc

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So blue state will be relatively safe. While red states will be utter chaos.
Red states with massive rural areas will suffer but them being rural might make it easier for those places to deal with it too. On the flipside if it spreads in those areas their medical facilities will be immediately overrun. The military needs to be putting up make shift medical facilities in antipication of shit getting worse.

Strangiato

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere which probably means its stupid, and it's not really possible without testing, but could you chicken pox party this?

Take healthy young people, who have the time, to a field hospital or hotel or something, intentionally infect them, have them monitored until they recover and then quarantine them for 2 weeks. Would increase herd immunity and those people could then volunteer at hospitals, nursing homes, grocery stores, etc.

I'd say North Korea is about the only country in the world that could pull that off.

Deleted member 48991

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
A single review of arguably low quality doesn't necessarily invalidate the original report though. I'm not a medical expert, but it seems like the review is not actually written by a medical expert either. The primary author is just a junior researcher working for an engineering department. They use only a few sources and one of the sources is an article by the Chinese state run press agency, i.e. not really scientific. Personally I would take this review with a grain of salt.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
My sister in law in her daughter are in Nepal, and I'm the one who has to get them back to Canada.

This is gonna be fun. Restrictions everywhere.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
So what are billionaires doing? Wasn't there this thing called philanthropy that was supposedly much better than taxes?

This has had me curious, too. A couple are, but you barely hear anything. If their companies are closed and their worker bees are at home/sick, no one will make them money either. Are the majority of them REALLY heading to bunkers? Don't they know the sooner they help provide the sooner they will make more $$$ soon?

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know the story with india in terms of the virus? I feel like it is going to be horrible with the amount of people squeezed into a country that size, yet they only have 150 cases officially?

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
This has had me curious, too. A couple are, but you barely hear anything. If their companies are closed and their worker bees are at home/sick, no one will make them money either. Are the majority of them REALLY heading to bunkers? Don't they know the sooner they help provide the sooner they will make more $$$ soon?
thats the thing that makes this a mess. thats the issue, outside giving people cash, you cant do much atm.

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
One of my coworkers took her family of 5 on a spring break trip to Florida on Sunday and now posting pictures of their day on the busy beaches and sharing fries at five guys...smh...the fuck is wrong with people?

This is why USA will never be able to contain it, peeps are just too selfish thinking "I'm just living my life".

One of my buds who is a medical professional is visiting town this weekend for some other matter and insisted on making plans this weekend. "We'll just go to the part of town that doesn't have restaurant/bar restriction!"

SMH

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
One person gets it. That person goes to church. Game over.

You assume churches will be opened.

Maybe Baptist, Protestant or something.

But my church (Syrian Orthodox Jacobite) didnt have service last week and wont be having any going forward until further notice.

Last Sunday we had a "Teleconference" prayer and next Sunday we are expecting a live stream of our priest praying alongside the altar assistants (deacons, etc) only while the regular church goers are not permitted.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
One of my coworkers took her family of 5 on a spring break trip to Florida on Sunday and now posting pictures of their day on the busy beaches and sharing fries at five guys...smh...the fuck is wrong with people?

My boss did this. Traveled to Miami for spring break with his family. He left on Saturday and will be back on Friday.

He also walked back telling us we could work from home and now we're supposed to come in on alternating days.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Red states with massive rural areas will suffer but them being rural might make it easier for those places to deal with it too. On the flipside if it spreads in those areas their medical facilities will be immediately overrun. The military needs to be putting up make shift medical facilities in antipication of shit getting worse.
Nah. They'll get it and they'll have no infrastructure or funding to alleviate it.

Unless you think they'll actually isolate for 18 months.

Tlaloc

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My mom sent me this. It reads like four of the new cases were contracted from contact with someone that had traveled and three cases have unknown origins.

m.mysanantonio.com

More coronavirus cases reported in San Antonio

The city’s count climbed from four cases after testing expanded.
Thanks. It's been here we just don't know how many people yet. Had to go to walmart earlier and it was slow and calm. Cleaning supplies were cleared out as well as tp, paper towels, hand santitzers.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You assume churches will be opened.

Maybe Baptist, Protestant or something.

But my church (Syrian Orthodox Jacobite) didnt have service last week and wont be having any going forward until further notice.

Last Sunday we had a "Teleconference" prayer and next Sunday we are expecting a live stream of our priest praying alongside the altar assistants (deacons, etc) only while the regular church goers are not permitted.

Unfortunately Protestant and Baptist make up the majority of churches in Red states.

Username1198

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Space, Man
Should I not visit my parents and grandpa who live together? I don't have any symptoms and feel perfectly fine. Im thinking of just staying inside, not visiting and only going to grocery store for supplies.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Can my dad go for bike rides around? We live in the suburbs and he usually bike rides. He's 66 but in pretty damn good shape, but without bike riding he can get fat quick.

Any risk?

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Should I not visit my parents and grandpa who live together? I don't have any symptoms and feel perfectly fine. Im thinking of just staying inside, not visiting and only going to grocery store for supplies.

You should not be going out, period. You can be infected without showing symptoms for up to 14 days. And there might be some people who never show symptoms at all.

MechDX

Oct 25, 2017

I read today, somewhere, that the federal government is mobilizing the Army Corp of Engineers to set up field hospitals across the country and using old military building as temp hospitals as well

I read so much daily now that I cannot remember where I read this

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni

It is possible to be infected and not experience any symptoms....I mean....its your choice since no on here knows where you been or who you had in contact with lol.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
A glimpse of the pandemic:

1920px-Total-cases-covid-19-who.png

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I read today, somewhere, that the federal government is mobilizing the Army Corp of Engineers to set up field hospitals across the country and using old military building as temp hospitals as well

I read so much daily now that I cannot remember where I read this

Texas initated the National Guard so there might be more to it than that....

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
It sure as shit is looking that way.

I keep wondering how Republicans will act if it statistically becomes clear that it's a "Republican Virus," with both a higher infection and mortality rate due to the reckless behavior Republicans have of valuing "freedom" over health? I mean, if the numbers make it clear that more Democrats are surviving, and Republicans and red states are getting significantly more ravaged, they're NOT going to blame their behavior on this, are they?

Instead, they'll come up with some kind of Chinese Bioweapons Conspiracy about how nanites go lethal for anyone that checked "R" on their voting information.

On the other hand, if this does end up being the case, it'll be the first time in medical history that political affiliation affected your medical chances of survival.

Username1198

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Space, Man
You should not be going out, period. You can be infected without showing symptoms for up to 14 days. And there might be some people who never show symptoms at all.
It is possible to be infected and not experience any symptoms....I mean....its your choice since no on here knows where you been or who you had in contact with lol.
for their sake, yes that is the recommendation. You can be asymptomatic and still spread it.

ok I am gonna stay in. I'm officially off work as we also closed today.
Thank you for the replies.

TrAcEr_x90

Oct 27, 2017
Question. What's going on in mortuarys out in italy or places most affected? Even though there is alot of deaths wouldn't they close those down as well?

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Looking more and more like setting up a massive drive-thru testing infrastructure is going to be crucial in handling this pandemic.

Deleted member 48991

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Japan has 45 new cases today, more than yesterday (+17) but not a record either. (Source)

Total:
20200318-total.png

Daily increases:
20200318-daily.png

They tested over 3000 people on Monday (Source).
000609155.png

(a bit hard to read with the dark theme)

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Its crazy that Texas has only screened less than 1,300 people for the virus....

MARCH 17 12:40 p.m. — Gov. Greg Abbott said as of today, Texas is up to 64 confirmed cases of coronavirus across 19 counties. He also mentioned the state's first coronavirus-related death, involving a man in his 90s in Matagorda County. "As of this moment," Abbott said, 1,264 Texans have been tested. "That number will continue to increase dramatically," he added.

www.khou.com

Coronavirus updates: Matagorda Co. woman who traveled to Washington tests positive for COVID-19

Here are the latest headlines and updates regarding the global coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.

Fucking hell - and yet these corporations still want us to come to work.

Magneton

Banned
Jul 31, 2018
Well, Orange County where I live just went into Shelter-in-Place, just like San Francisco. I'm so grateful my county is on top of this shit even though we "only" have 22 cases reported thus far (certainly an order of magnitude more in actuality). The problem is how many areas are still half-assing this or even doing fuck-all about it? I feel like this entire thing will vary WILDLY state by state between how bad it gets.

If you're talking about the Orange County in California, we're not quite at Shelter-in-Place level just yet.

Tom Penny

Oct 26, 2017
User banned (1 week): Ignoring staff post with regard to dismissiveness
Still don't get There is 10x the panic then the flu in 2009 that killed younger people. The risk is obviously in spreading it to elderly but people that are younger tripping out and switching their whole life doesn't add up to the actual risk.

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
Ughh I've had a lingering cough from having the flu a few weeks ago. My cough is finally starting to recede but my throat is still a bit ticklish making me cough, and my cough is no longer productive. Can't tell if I'm just at the very tail end of my flu cough or if it's a dry cough from corona. No fever yet thankfully.

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
Still don't get There is 10x the panic then the flu in 2009 that killed younger people. The risk is obviously in spreading it to elderly but people that are younger tripping out and switching their whole life doesn't add up to the actual risk.
There's still a sizeable chance that younger folks would need to be hospitalized, and as we're seeing in Italy younger folks start dying too when the hospitals become overloaded.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I was driving past a value village earlier today (thrift store chain) and they were open and actually pretty busy. I was curious and looked up what was going on, apparently they were doing their weekly seniors day sale which is always a busy day for them.

Something about that. Like yeah, corporations are shit and they're going to endanger their employees for a few dollars, of course they will. But Seniors day. Crowd the store in with all the people most vulnerable to die form the pandemic. We've declared a public health state of emergency where I live, and they were open and encouraging as many seniors to crowd into the store as they could.
Like holy crap government needs to step in sooner than later on corporations because they will not do the right thing on their own.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I really hope that if I get it I don't experience any symptoms. When I get a regular flu always end up needing an inhaler and don't really want to end up in the ICU.

Oct 25, 2017

Much more easily spreadable.

Also H1N1 ended up being a less serious threat than originally thought.