• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
Ok someone posted this on my face book and i believe it's completely horse shit bc i thought i read that a top guy said he never ever saw evidence of this

Can anyone else confirm or deny the following rhetoric someone posted on FB so we can get some clearing on this whole ibuprofen deal which is what kept coming up earlier

FACEBOOK MEME BS?———
A Dr. on CTV has just said that, if you are experiencing symptoms and suspect COVID19, do NOT take Motrin, Advil or other ibuprofens. TAKE Tylenol - acetaminophen only. It seems the Advil types may be causing a reaction with the virus that worsens it. Good advice. Pass it on. FACEBOOK MEME BS?—-

futurism.com

Report: Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) could worsen coronavirus symptoms

The French Health Minister, a fairly credible doctor, issued the crucial warning.

I confirmed this personally with my doctor. Anti-inflammatory meds like Advil and ibu have an adverse effect.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
The panic buying and hoarding is utterly aggravating. You either have to get lucky, or do the absolute worst thing and go stand in line with a ton of people when we should be social distancing.

I tried 5 different stores for toilet paper yesterday with no luck. I didn't try today but my wife and I will try tomorrow, and at least one of the stores on the list is an Asian supermarket that's not far away, assuming the racism is still affecting people shopping there. I've tried online with no luck.

I ordered a bidet from Amazon last week, it claims it will get here tomorrow (3/18) but it still hasn't shipped. Given the shift to "prioritizing essential items", I bet they don't consider a bidet "essential". Fucking irony.

It can't be stated enough how fucked it is that the only way to get this shit is to do the exact opposite of social distancing.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah well, the future isn't here yet, and a lot of that was a simulated worst case scenario. Let's focus on the now and what we can do this minute.

For real, gotta try to get into a day by day mentality and try not to drive ourselves mad imaging a worst case future. My anxiety has been sky high lately, but I've really been trying to keep this attitude. Just, how can I get through this day healthy and do my part to keep my friends, family and neighbours safe, each day.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
For real, gotta try to get into a day by day mentality and try not to drive ourselves mad imaging a worst case future. My anxiety has been sky high lately, but I've really been trying to keep this attitude. Just, how can I get through this day healthy and do my part to keep my friends, family and neighbours safe, each day.

Exactly. What does does a spiral of anxiety among each other do? Like others on here, it's better to stay inside and step away from the news/social media if you have to. Just need to take things day by day.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Even if just talking in the now, it sucks because a few of the only people I see irl are my grandparents...and my other grandpa and I can't risk it right now.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
The grocery store I work at changed the store hours so we have more time to clean the store and restock in peace. Pretty surprised since usually they don't give a damn about us.
All the panic buying is still weird though. We got toilet paper, cases of water, and hand sanitizer all today. It was all gone in a few hours but still, we're still getting the stuff.. it's not going to permanently run out or anything.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
U.S. Virus Plan Anticipates 18-Month Pandemic and Widespread Shortages

www.nytimes.com

U.S. Virus Plan Anticipates 18-Month Pandemic and Widespread Shortages (Published 2020)

The 100-page federal plan laid out a grim prognosis and outlined a response that would activate agencies across the government.
WASHINGTON — A federal government plan to combat the coronavirus warned policymakers last week that a pandemic "will last 18 months or longer" and could include "multiple waves," resulting in widespread shortages that would strain consumers and the nation's health care system.

The 100-page plan, dated Friday, the same day President Trump declared a national emergency, laid out a grim prognosis for the spread of the virus and outlined a response that would activate agencies across the government and potentially employ special presidential powers to mobilize the private sector.

Among the "additional key federal decisions" listed among the options for Mr. Trump was invoking the Defense Production Act of 1950, a Korean War-era law that authorizes a president to take extraordinary action to force American industry to ramp up production of critical equipment and supplies such as ventilators, respirators and protective gear for health care workers.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm gonna fucking break down.

We need special and specific action... and a hope that people are good enough to be smart and our governments willing to work for more than a bottom line.

....hopefully we can.

I can't help wonder how this may change the world; for worse ....or maybe hopefully somehow, someday, for better.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I just read that Twitter thread and my heart sank into the ground. I think I've consumed enough news on this today.

yeah and all the talk of a civil war and society breakdown here has me in a depression.

I have to believe we can find a way through this without letting things get really bad. Because there's no other option.

might have to check out of here for my own mental health. See yall later

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
The grocery store I work at changed the store hours so we have more time to clean the store and restock in peace. Pretty surprised since usually they don't give a damn about us.
All the panic buying is still weird though. We got toilet paper, cases of water, and hand sanitizer all today. It was all gone in a few hours but still, we're still getting the stuff.. it's not going to permanently run out or anything.
It might as well be a shortage if you can't get a work schedule to go buy it immediately when shipments arrive, or don't want to stand in line with a ton of people.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017

I've been guilty of inundating myself with info but I know it leads to increased stress even if it's more under the surface, some of us really need to mandate several hours away from the news cycle for general mental health. I recommend a daily dose of comedy podcasts, humor is a great stress reliever and distraction.

But yeah it's hard to stay away from the news cycle for long, particularly local news. You kinda want to know what's going down in your backyard when isolating.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta

www.nytimes.com

U.S. Virus Plan Anticipates 18-Month Pandemic and Widespread Shortages (Published 2020)

The 100-page federal plan laid out a grim prognosis and outlined a response that would activate agencies across the government.

I was actually just talking to my wife about how the government should force production of necessary medical equipment. Good to hear it actually may be being done.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Man....after reading that Imperial College Report....fuck the waiting/testing period on a vaccine. Those protocols are for a different world than what we exist in now.
If I was immuno suppressed or older and had the virus, I'd roll the dice with whatever crazy concoction they could give me in the name of science.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
yeah and all the talk of a civil war and society breakdown here has me in a depression.

I have to believe we can find a way through this without letting things get really bad. Because there's no other option.

might have to check out of here for my own mental health. See yall later

Society's not gonna break down, jeeze. This thread is turning into a negative reinforcement feedback loop for some of y'all and it isn't healthy.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
I'm gonna fucking break down.

Remember there's multiple discoveries taking place by the week. We might come up with novel ways to make this virus less harmful, which would lead to less strict containment measures. 18 months is a lot of time where tons of good things can happen too. Switching to a positive, hopeful mindset is the best we can do at this point.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Man....after reading that Imperial College Report....fuck the waiting/testing period on a vaccine. Those protocols are for a different world than what we exist in now.
If I was immuno suppressed or older and had the virus, I'd roll the dice with whatever crazy concoction they could give me in the name of science.

And this is why you aren't a doctor! These protocol are in effect for a reason. We don't want to kill half the planet accidentally because we gave everyone an untested drug that gives everyone cancer.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What if the vaccine actually kills everyone that receives it? Testing periods exist for a reason.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
18 months is something no STONKS market can survive (the worst-case prognosis with the current info). Just read the NYT link.
The worst-case economic scenario is this but it will never come this far. Society would need to crash and do a 180 to come to this:
en.wikipedia.org

Rentenmark - Wikipedia

Good old German history. That said, economies recovered from worse things. Japan and Germany went from zero to hero for example. WW2 this ain´t of course. Thank god I don´t directly own STONKS and I never will. Never.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Society's not gonna break down, jeeze. This thread is turning into a negative reinforcement feedback loop for some of y'all and it isn't healthy.
Did you not read that twitter thread? He essentially laid down a pseudo ultimatum of either 3/4 million deaths or the second depression....which this country almost definitely couldn't make it through when about 40% are stocking up on guns. We have seen single people murder over 50 with one ar15.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Ironically while Obama obviously would have been the better president for this, if Trump orders lockdowns it will go over far better with the people more likely to have a problem with lockdowns.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
18 months is something no STONKS market can survive (the worst-case prognosis with the current info). Just read the NYT link. The worst-case economic scenario is this but it will never come this far:
en.wikipedia.org

Rentenmark - Wikipedia

That said, economies recovered from worse things. Japan and Germany went from zero to hero for example. WW2 this ain´t of course.

This is really going to change the way we see the economy as a whole. Things HAVE to adapt to what's about to become the new normal. I see no other way around it.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
While 18 months minimum for a Vaccine is grim that doesn't mean overtime we can't make certain precautions, discoveries, and movements that can at least allow us to go back to some semblance of life in due time. Certainly not gonna be for these next months but I'd imagine things could be more "normal" in Summer. At least to where it's safer to have somewhat of a Society and that's not accounting to how we could see what South Korea, and kinda sorta China and Japan are doing

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Apparently there's a treatment in China showing some success: Chloroquine in combination with anti-virals.

Hoping this works out.

Countries need to get behind this along with a few others. They should be tested ASAP and broadly. Sitting around waiting for a vaccine is not good enough. Government's should be fast tracking this research, most of these drugs are already approved there is not a safety issue.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Did you not read that twitter thread? He essentially laid down a pseudo ultimatum of either 3/4 million deaths or the second depression....which this country almost definitely couldn't make it through when about 40% are stocking up on guns. We have seen single people murder over 50 with one ar15.

You're extrapolating nonsense from good science. Just take every day one at a time and try not to whip yourself into a frenzy. All you're gonna accomplish is hurting yourself. We all have to be here for each other in the coming months. Let's prop each other up instead of becoming doomsayers.

edit - also a lot can change in a few weeks, let alone a few months. If the projections are still grim two months from now, you can make fun of this post. But we'll see.

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, and the promising treatments and breakthroughs on curing the virus will happen as the weeks and months progress. We just gotta take it one day at a time. Things will get better. We will get through all this.

Oct 25, 2017

this is where i'm curious too. When this is all done, we should get some empirically based answers for why the breakouts across Asia had far less deaths with denser cities with larger populations. Was it just more testing + gps tracking? Or was it masks? Or more following of instructions?

RedBaron17

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I've been lurking this thread constantly to kinda stay informed but I also think I need a break. I have a 5yr old and 5-month old baby at home and the thought of armed looters due to the a great depression is not something I need right now.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

this is where i'm curious too. When this is all done, we should get some empirically based answers for why the breakouts across Asia had far less deaths with denser cities with larger populations. Was it just more testing + gps tracking? Or was it masks? Or more following of instructions?

all the above. the gps tracking is a good idea, that would never servive constational challange in the us.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
yeah let's settle down bro

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
If I survived the military for 2 years, and I am the least physically exceptional man of all time, then anyone can survive this. Who won´t get infected of course. That´s the wild card but chances are easily in your favor. Just do your thing and Netflix and chill, or whatever. I just shrug and go about the day for the most part.

Brushing up on history also helps. MUCH worse things happened:

Last edited:

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
Yg3rovU.png

18 months is an assumption because of lack of facts
it's just clickbait

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yg3rovU.png

18 months is an assumption because of lack of facts
it's just clickbait

It's really not. If this thing is as contagious as they say, if we start "lightening up" it could possibly just trigger another wave of the virus. And even if we found a vaccine in the near future, testing it, manufacturing it, and distributing (WORLDWIDE)(!) will take a long ass time.

It's a worst case number, but highly worth considering.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
I tricked the paywall, here is the NYT article, so we can stop speculating:

WASHINGTON — A federal government plan to combat the coronavirus warned policymakers last week that a pandemic "will last 18 months or longer" and could include "multiple waves," resulting in widespread shortages that would strain consumers and the nation's health care system.
The 100-page plan, dated Friday, the same day President Trump declared a national emergency, laid out a grim prognosis for the spread of the virus and outlined a response that would activate agencies across the government and potentially employ special presidential powers to mobilize the private sector.
Among the "additional key federal decisions" listed among the options for Mr. Trump was invoking the Defense Production Act of 1950, a Korean War-era law that authorizes a president to take extraordinary action to force American industry to ramp up production of critical equipment and supplies such as ventilators, respirators and protective gear for health care workers.
"Shortages of products may occur, impacting health care, emergency services, and other elements of critical infrastructure," the plan warned. "This includes potentially critical shortages of diagnostics, medical supplies (including PPE and pharmaceuticals), and staffing in some locations." P.P.E. refers to personal protective equipment.

The plan continued: "State and local governments, as well as critical infrastructure and communications channels, will be stressed and potentially less reliable. These stresses may also increase the challenges of getting updated messages and coordinating guidance to these jurisdictions directly."

The plan, which was unclassified but marked "For Official Use Only // Not For Public Distribution or Release," was shared with The New York Times as Mr. Trump escalated his efforts to curb the spread of the virus. After weeks of playing down the seriousness of the pandemic, saying it would miraculously disappear, Mr. Trump began shifting to a more sober tone during a news conference on Friday announcing the national emergency.

Much of the plan is bureaucratic in nature, describing coordination among agencies and actions that in some cases have already been taken, like urging schools to close and large events to be canceled. But its discussion of the Defense Production Act came as lawmakers and others urged Mr. Trump to invoke its powers.
"While the administration's response has so far lacked the urgency this crisis has called for, there are still steps you can take to mitigate the damage," Senator Bob Menendez, Democrat of New Jersey, wrote in a letter to Mr. Trump on Tuesday. "Invoking the powers vested in the DPA will enable the federal government to step up and take the type of aggressive steps needed in this time of uncertainty."
Another letter sent last week by 57 House Democrats led by Representative Andy Levin of Michigan made similar points: "During World War II, our country adapted to the demands of the time to produce mass quantities of bombers, tanks, and many smaller items needed to save democracy and freedom in the world. We know what the demands of this time are, and we must act now to meet these demands."

Senator Jack Reed, Democrat of Rhode Island, said that Defense Secretary Mark T. Esper told him on Tuesday that the Pentagon would provide federal health workers with five million respirator masks and 2,000 specialized ventilators. "The American public is on wartime footing in terms of battling the spread of this disease, and the Pentagon has to be part of the effort to help protect the health and safety of the American people," Mr. Reed said.
But Mr. Trump said on Tuesday that he was not ready to invoke the Defense Production Act. "We're able to do that if we have to," he told reporters. "Right now, we haven't had to, but it's certainly ready. If I want it, we can do it very quickly. We've studied it very closely over two weeks ago, actually. We'll make that decision pretty quickly if we need it. We hope we don't need it. It's a big step."
Passed in 1950 shortly after American troops went to war defending South Korea against an invasion from North Korea, the Defense Production Act was based on powers used during World War II and authorized the president to require businesses to prioritize and accept contracts necessary for national defense.
Over the years, its scope has been expanded to include domestic preparedness and national emergencies. A president can make direct loans or loan guarantees and purchase commitments, subsidies or other incentives to influence industry to help in times of crisis.
Other key decisions outlined as options for the president include distributing medical supplies and equipment from the Strategic National Stockpile, providing money to states to help them meet demands caused by the coronavirus outbreak and prioritizing the distribution of essential resources to focus on areas most in need.
"The spread and severity of Covid-19 will be difficult to forecast and characterize," the government plan said. It warned of "significant shortages for government, private sector, and individual U.S. consumers."

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018

Thing is, I don't really trust the numbers coming from both the Chinese and Japanese Govts. China should be obvious and Japan has been extremely lacking in their response + probably desperately try to save Olympia.

Also: "for now".

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
It's really not. If this thing is as contagious as they say, if we start "lightening up" it could possibly just trigger another wave of the virus. And even if we found a vaccine in the near future, testing it, manufacturing it, and distributing (WORLDWIDE)(!) will take a long ass time.

It's a worst case number, but highly worth considering.

edit - nvm