• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Any chance Canadian government would step in and force non essential(as in not groceries) retail outlets to close? I have a good friend who has a parttime job at a store that has sells absolutely nothing of value during a pandemic, forces their employees to work in very close proximity of eachother, and still has some days where many customers shop at once. She's scared to quit and lose her job but I'm scared her job is going to infect her and then kill her parents or something you know.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
First death and now 19 26 tested infected in my countryside district. Lock that goddamn shop up Merkel! Feels like people are getting more insane with conspiracy theories (compulsory vaccination! abolishment of cash! an attack on our SMBs! reeeeeee) instead of staying the fuck home and heeding the advice.
I still can't believe germany is not on lockdown... I think it will happen Monday but that is kind of late.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I live in Northern New Jersey (right next to the NYC), and things are getting really bad here man. I am now starting to feel anxiety and stress, and I'm really becoming worried for my family and friends :(

Just read about a family that lives very close to where I am and it fucking destroyed me. Apparently 4 family members have already died due to the virus.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/19/new-j...us-without-knowing-it-claimed-her-kids-lives/

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Deblasio looks like he's about to cry :/
abc7ny.com

Eyewitness News Live Streaming Video

Watch live streaming video on abc7ny.com and stay up-to-date with the latest Eyewitness News broadcasts as well as live breaking news whenever it happens.

wow, Deblasio just called Trump Hoover

Calling for the military to step in and join the fight.

If ever there was a time to take advantage of our MASSIVE military and its budget, it's right fucking now.

World War 3 is against the coronavirus.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
My university just announced that next week would be a 'Teaching-Free' week as they get ready to move to online teaching if necessary. I am a teaching assistant so I wonder what that is going to mean for me as well. I hope they move my duties online instead of cutting my hours.

BIG-JG

Oct 27, 2017
Calling for the military to step in and join the fight.

If ever there was a time to take advantage of our MASSIVE military and its budget, it's right fucking now.

World War 3 is against the coronavirus.
I bet the military has tons of medical equipment just sitting in warehouses all across the nation.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I live in Northern New Jersey (right next to the NYC), and things are getting really bad here man. I am now starting to feel anxiety and stress, and I'm really becoming worried for my family and friends :(

Jersey City, reporting in. Not seeing much beyond the norm... a little less people out today, but that was because of the rain. Light rail is still running frequently, people getting to stores.

What are you seeing that feels really bad? Hear you on the anxiety and stress - might make sense for you to log off for a bit and find an activity that's going to take your mind off things.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
trump has been horrible but this wreaks of deflection, considering he hasn't exactly covered himself in glory to this point with his own response.
Eh he's been taking a tougher stand on this than even Cuomo, he wanted to initiate a shelter in place for the city.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
The mortality rate is going to spike like crazy isn't it.

If you are talking worldwide, definitely... Africa is now seeing increased spread speed (345 cases) , and India also has cases (166 for now).

Africa:
from https://www.afro.who.int/health-topics/coronavirus-covid-19
India:
economictimes.indiatimes.com

Coronavirus in India: People suspected with the virus, people under observation. Read all you should know

The coronavirus is a large family of viruses that causes illnesses ranging from the common cold to acute respiratory syndromes, but the current virus is a novel strain not seen before. Common symptoms of the novel coronavirus strain include respiratory symptoms such as fever, cough, and...

The exponential growth in this pool of way over 2 billion people can be disastrous....
I hope for the best, but i fear.

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
Just walked home from work through Central Park (nyc) It's crazy how much people are jogging, biking, playing Music... no one seems to care.. I tried to keep my distance

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Jersey City, reporting in. Not seeing much beyond the norm... a little less people out today, but that was because of the rain. Light rail is still running frequently, people getting to stores.

What are you seeing that feels really bad? Hear you on the anxiety and stress - might make sense for you to log off for a bit and find an activity that's going to take your mind off things.

Carlstadt here, heya.

It's everything man, the news and the stories. Trying to go grocery shopping and not being able to get what I need. Seeing people walking with masks and gloves, everyone looks miserable and stressed. I think you're right, I'm going to try and avoid media for a bit... I'm normally very pessimistic person as it is and this is making it so much worse for me

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
3.6k case in NYC

In large part to more testing being available.

Nobility

Oct 25, 2017
This NYC update is brutal to watch.

They need to get the military in there now, the weekend will be unfathomable and the feds need to respond.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My university just announced that next week would be a 'Teaching-Free' week as they get ready to move to online teaching if necessary. I am a teaching assistant so I wonder what that is going to mean for me as well. I hope they move my duties online instead of cutting my hours.
Are you a graduate student? Because my contract specifically said I would be paid X amount over a specified amount of years regardless of hours.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to recent massive testings, as we confirm more cases, now the fatality rate in NY has dropped to similar level of SK/Germany(0.5%). I am afraid unconfirmed number in CA(2.4%),WA (5.7%)and Florida(2.5%)are seriously underestimated.

Right now wealthy states like New York and California got most of the spotlight and media coverage due to its location and economic importance . I am afraid that the situation would get worse in the mid-eastern and Bible Belt due to previous massive church gathering and limited resource (Like what happened in South Korea, like 70% of confirmed cases came from religion cluster)

There is a delay between the time of detecting the virus and death. The number of infected grew a lot in the last days, the number of death will catch up in around 2 weeks. This is the trend in a lot of countries.

pollo

Oct 25, 2017
As a Filipino dude from NY, lots of my family/friends are nurses in the city and they truly have seen some shit this week.

I'm really worried about them..

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
www.opensecrets.org

Senate Intel chair unloaded stocks in mid-February before coronavirus rocked markets

Senate Intelligence Committee Chairman Richard Burr unloaded stocks in major companies, including hotel chains, in February before the coronavirus pandemic.
As the coronavirus outbreak began to spread across the U.S. in mid-February, Senate Intelligence Committee Chairman Richard Burr (R-N.C.) unloaded his holdings in dozens of stocks that would lose much of their market value over the coming weeks.

Burr and his wife Brooke sold between $581,000 and $1.5 million in publicly traded stocks on Feb. 13 and didn't buy any new positions, according to a recent financial disclosure filed with the Senate.

Around the time that Burr sold his shares of major corporations, including several hard hit hotel companies, he publicly expressed confidence about the U.S. government's ability to fight the virus. However in late February, Burr privately warned that the virus is "much more aggressive in its transmission than anything that we have seen in recent history," according to a recording obtained by NPR.
About one week after the Burrs unloaded their shares, the stock market began to plunge on the news of coronavirus-related demand shortages. The Dow Jones Industrial Average has lost nearly one-third of its value since mid-February, wiping out the gains made during Trump's presidency.
www.propublica.org

Senator Dumped Up to $1.7 Million of Stock After Reassuring Public About Coronavirus Preparedness — ProPublica

Intelligence Chair Richard Burr’s selloff came around the time he was receiving daily briefings on the health threat.

Last edited:

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in NC and I've been at home since Saturday, but today I went and drove around to get some fresh air. Didn't actually go in anywhere though, but I wanted to drive around and see what everything in my area was looking like. It's pretty much exactly the same as it was a week ago other than restaurant parking lots being empty due to no dining inside.

I don't think most people near me are heeding the advice to stay indoors. There were tons of people walking around in parks near each other, lots of cars in shopping centers that don't even have grocery stores, etc. If you didn't know the pandemic was happening right now, it would just look like a normal day. It's worrying.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
What's the end game for social distancing? Society can't exist like this indefinitely, or even long enough to reach a vaccine. The virus is causing deaths, but the economic impact of shutting everything down is going to cause deaths (and likely far more suffering) as well.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I've come to the opinion that Millennials are far better able to deal with the hardship of this than your average Boomer. I've spoke to three or four Boomers that you'd think had been tortured to near death because they'd been asked to stay at home / out of the pubs etc. Most of the Millennials I know are just getting on with it with far more "blitz spirit" than you'd expect... especially given it's the Boomers who always argue that Millenials could never deal with hardship.

What's the end game for social distancing? Society can't exist like this indefinitely, or even long enough to reach a vaccine. The virus is causing deaths, but the economic impact of shutting everything down is going to cause deaths (and likely far more suffering) as well.

Lock it down until the health systems are at a point they can deal with the surge, then relax restrictions. Repeat until you have a vaccine.