• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017
That was days ago, won't find it now. Believe what you want to believe.
The infected numbers are not accurate at all because most countries aren't testing people that don't show symptoms. That means two things: the number of infected people is several times bigger than the reported (some say that between 10 to 20 times bigger), and that the mortality rate is much smaller than reported.
Yeah, so even less reason to believe we all die.
I couldn't help but say 'fuck!!' out loud when I saw Italy's numbers. Fuck.
What is this, three weeks ago? This sounds like dismissive commentary surrounding the seriousness of the disease. Think about how many lives will be affected even if we have 1% fatality. Or 0.5%.
And at this point it is just stupid to look at the number of tested cases and assume that represents anything at all.
See above, you can't say high death rate and at the same time claim the numbers of tested case represent anyting at all. I try to bring some perspective to some very down people in here, but I can stop that and you can continue your doom&gloom 24/7.

So, no official numbers by the government?
I think they are official? tagesschau.de won't post without verified sources.

Deleted member 8683

User requested account closure
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
There was just a calm and collected press briefing in Sweden regarding why elementary schools aren't shut down, which I actually agree with: The consequences would be too severe if every child were to stay home with parents with essential jobs, and if children of parents with essential jobs or jobs supporting essential services would be offered to stay in school there wouldn't be too many children in isolation either way.

A given example was that for effective medical services to be offered you for example need cleaning staff and transports to hospitals, and you need drivers for some of those transports, and you might need mechanics, and you need gas stations to fill up at. So taking kids out of schools may severely limit essential services as there as tons of dependencies with other sectors "just to provide healthcare".

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
All this makes me want to completely pivot, go back to school, and become a nurse/researcher. I hate sitting on my hands.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Mind providing a source for that 160k tests? The latest I got was 100k last week, not counting tests in hospitals.
That's the problem where there is a lack of official numbers. An article says one thing, another one a different thing. I think each country should release official numbers daily, as Italy transparently does with a daily press conference. It would be helpful for everyone, since each country has a lot to learn from others, potentially.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
According to the spanish Internal Affairs minister, there has been 30.000 complaints regarding people breaking the lockdown in Spain. We might as well be doing herd immunity at this point. All unnecessary jobs must be forbidden.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Mind providing a source for that 160k tests? The latest I got was 100k last week, not counting tests in hospitals.

Germany’s coronavirus anomaly: high infection rates but few deaths

Widespread testing may explain low fatality figures in country that is bucking trend in Europe

Another factor that may help explain the variance is the unusually high number of tests being carried out in Germany. According to Lothar Wieler, the president of the Robert Koch Institute, German laboratories are now conducting about 160,000 coronavirus tests every week — more than some European countries have carried out in total since the crisis started. Even South Korea, which is conducting 15,000 tests a day and has been held up by virologists as an example to follow, appears to be testing less than Germany.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
The economy fallout will be huge all around the world, it won't be just an "Italian thing". All eyes are on the EU, this crisis is going to break it for real if they don't do anything. I'm optimistic, the moment our healthcare will not be overwhelmed as of now and scientists will to discover better treatments, the course will change. I look at South Korea (yeah, we are not organized as them), but they are doing it, so it's possible. We just gonna hang in there for the time being.
If the EU answer is the ESM we'll be in deep shit.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
We're absolutely fucked aren't we? Like, how do we recover? We're all going to either die from this or die from starvation.

Spanish Flu was substantially worse.

Imagine if this thing affected children and young adults the way this does the elderly and then imagine far less modern medicine.

Pretty sure civilization survived and even boomed after that.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That was days ago, won't find it now. Believe what you want to believe.

Yeah, so even less reason to believe we all die.

See above, you can't say high death rate and at the same time claim the numbers of tested case represent anyting at all. I try to bring some perspective to some very down people in here, but I can stop that and you can continue your doom&gloom 24/7.

I think they are official? tagesschau.de won't post without verified sources.

There's a difference between being realistic, and being doom & gloom.

I believe this naivety is costing lives. It causes people to not take it seriously - and causes governments to take weeks before they decide to close beaches, nail salons and barbers.

We should be scared, and we should think realistically and not optimistically. We should realize that we're still not doing enough in many places.

Spanish Flu was substantially worse.

Imagine if this thing affected children and young adults the way this does the elderly and then imagine far less modern medicine.

Pretty sure civilization survived and even boomed after that.

Corona is affecting young people. Stop spreading misinformation. We can quote Fauci on this:

"Even though when you look at the total numbers, it's overwhelmingly weighted toward the elderly and those with underlying conditions," he explained, "the virus isn't a mathematical formula. There are going to be people who are young who are going to wind up getting seriously ill."

Source: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/15/fauci-coronavirus-young-people-130229

Sendero

Oct 25, 2017
We're absolutely fucked aren't we? Like, how do we recover? We're all going to either die from this or die from starvation.
I'm not sure about your particular situation, but resort to proven procedures to protect you and your family.

*Remember: You won't get sick just by touching an surface with infected material - just if your mouth/nose get close to it.
*For this reason, you can actually go and still purchase food/essentials, in a responsible matter.
* Keep distance from people, specially if they are talking in your direction. Obviously, avoid clusters and enclosed spaces when possible.
*Have your house members clean themselves (and stuff brought, if needed) when entering.
*Exercise physically/mentally and don't fully stay at home. IF possible, go around (maybe in car) to avoid anxiety to build up for being at the same place.
*Distract yourself with other stuff.

There is an allure to keep up with the latest news, but it can become a compulsion if left unchecked.
Take solace in that we all are in this now. So, help others when you can.

These are the times where people can shine the most, if they just decide to do so.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
While Broadway show up to 4/12 are still canceled, shows from 4/14 and on are still a go, with tickets available.
I, LONG AGO, got tix for the 14th, and I need that shit canceled and refunded, STAT!

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
$49 flight to Los Angeles, wish I could lock in this price for another date lol. Airlines must be hurting so bad right now.

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017

I believe this naivety is costing lives. It causes people to not take it seriously - and causes governments to take weeks before they decide to close beaches, nail salons and barbers.

We should be scared, and we should think realistically and not optimistically. We should realize that we're still not doing enough in many places.
Maybe stop making assumptions how serious I take this. It just isn't helping anyone at all if we circle jerk with negative news in this thread the whole day. The situation is very serious and catastrophic, but we still need to be realistic, and the guy on the last page saying we will all die or starve was definetly not realistic. Also the quotes to Italys numbers like "the world is fucked" also isn't helping anyone. Being realistic, providing numbers and relations is the best way to handle this in a calm manner.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Please read my posts more carefully. This is factually more deadly to the elderly.

It does affect them the same way. It's just that the elderly are in a lot more vulnerable a position.

You are spreading misinformation. Young people need to be careful and cautious, and not just to prevent spreading it to more vulnerable people.

Maybe stop making assumptions how serious I take this. It just isn't helping anyone at all if we circle jerk with negative news in this thread the whole day. The situation is very serious and catastrophic, but we still need to be realistic, and the guy on the last page saying we will all die or starve was definetly not realistic. Also the quotes to Italys numbers like "the world is fucked" also isn't helping anyone. Being realistic, providing numbers and relations is the best way to handle this in a calm manner.

Are you saying we should stop talking about the news because it isn't positive?
There's a lot of positive things to draw from what is happening. About how we are slowly coming together, about the people that are out there saving lives. About how we can all help each other get through this and adapt in positive ways.

What we need to do is stop acting like this isn't a catastrophe - because it is. Let's just get over that phase. It's OK to be scared and it's OK that we realize what we are facing.

Oct 25, 2017

Corona is affecting young people. Stop spreading misinformation. We can quote Fauci on this:

Source: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/15/fauci-coronavirus-young-people-130229
My guy. The Spanish Flu was far worse for young people, which is what he is saying

COVID doesn't cause a cytokine storm, which means it is far less dangerous for young people

Everyone is well aware at this point that young people can get the virus. Like, come on, man

It does affect them the same way. It's just that the elderly are in a lot more vulnerable a position.

You are spreading misinformation. Young people need to be careful and cautious, and not just to prevent spreading it to more vulnerable people.

Again, it quite literally does not have the same extent of illness with respect to mortality rate that the Spanish flu did, which affected significantly more young adults than typical viruses do due to the strength of the immune system. Which is what the poster was getting across

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
I'm surprised Airlines are still forcing people to call in and wait on hold for hours in order to cancel a flight.

They should set up a website/process, similar to checking in, to look up your flight and cancel it on your own.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know what to say at the numbers here in Italy. Stay safe everyone. Wash your hands, sanitize everything, stay the fuck home, and look out.

DNgamers

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I totally believe the German numbers. My best friend is an ICU nurse in a big hospital here in Hannover and they have just one Corona patient right now. Her ICU is not fuller than usual atm. They are preparing for bigger numbers though.
I think it's important to note, that we (Germany) are at the beginnig right now. The health system is prepairing as we speak but it will be hard. The virus doesn't act differently in a german body. RKI's spokesman always talks about how the numbers will rise. Nobody in the official positions is relaxed in any way. There's a storm coming and it's so important people get a grip. It's been better I think.

General question: how are people behaving in YOUR city? Still groups of youth walking/skating/hanging around in groups here.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not spreading misinformation when it's a fact that it's more deadly to the elderly. The Spanish Flu was equally as deadly to children as it was to the elderly. That's the comparison. The context of my post matters.

Yes it impacts young adults and they should be careful. At no point did I say that in any post that they should do anything otherwise.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh just read an article on Vice that scares me. Doctors are talking about how young patients are getting better but then they get heart inflammation and eventually heart failure.

My mom and dad are in Florida on vacation and were going to drive back up but then this whole thing started and they got a train to take them back on Monday. Should be home Tuesday. They are staying with someone who has family in North Florida and they have it and are dying from the disease. Hope my parents make it back up here safe. (NJ).

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Goddamn my grocery store was CRAZY.

That's it. I'm not going to survive this...the stress is going to kill me.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
There was just a calm and collected press briefing in Sweden regarding why elementary schools aren't shut down, which I actually agree with: The consequences would be too severe if every child were to stay home with parents with essential jobs, and if children of parents with essential jobs or jobs supporting essential services would be offered to stay in school there wouldn't be too many children in isolation either way.

A given example was that for effective medical services to be offered you for example need cleaning staff and transports to hospitals, and you need drivers for some of those transports, and you might need mechanics, and you need gas stations to fill up at. So taking kids out of schools may severely limit essential services as there as tons of dependencies with other sectors "just to provide healthcare".

Other countries are providing special care for essential jobs, they make sure that the kids are cared for.

What happens in sweden when the kid gets sick and the parent with an essential job has to stay home regardless and has no special plan in place because the government didn't take precautions.
What happens when half of the teachers are sick at home and the school has to close?
What happens when the essential worker gets sick because he got infected by his kid who was infected at school?
What happens when more and more people take their kids out of school? Does Sweden have a mandatory school attendance law like Germany, where it is a "crime" (don't know the correct term) to take you kid out of school a long time without a reason (basically only sickness). Will the Swedish government prosecute parents who take their kids out of school because it is more dangerous inside the school?

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017

Are you saying we should stop talking about the news because it isn't positive?

There's a lot of positive things to draw from what is happening. About how we are slowly coming together, about the people that are out there saving lives. About how we can all help each other get through this and adapt in positive ways.

What we need to do is stop acting like this isn't a catastrophe - because it is. Let's just get over that phase. It's OK to be scared and it's OK that we realize what we are facing.
You are definetly just reading what you want to read from posts. I clearly said the reactions to negative posts need to be measured and not like "we are all fucked and gonna die".

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I'm shocked at how low CA's numbers are in relation to its population.

Oct 25, 2017
So apparently my father could have had Cornovirus since February as he had all of the respiratory symptoms except Fever oddly enough and he had to go to the hospital at the middle of the night for breathing trouble. They could never really pin out what was wrong with him at the time.

The fact I had been around him a lot around that time makes me nervous and want to test myself ASAP even if I haven't shown any symptoms.

Kleefeld

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
General question: how are people behaving in YOUR city? Still groups of youth walking/skating/hanging around in groups here.

It's very quiet it my neighbourhood, don't know about other parts. I think Lower Saxony will decide the day after tomorrow about a curfew, depending on how people will behave tonight and tomorrow.

Oct 27, 2017
An avalanche of assholes tried to move from Valencia to their vacation homes today as well. No way to stop this if people keep on being jackasses

https://www.eldiario.es/cv/Cientos-vehiculos-Valencia-prohibirlo-coronavirus_0_1007900159.html

This is happening in some US states as well, people who are staying home are deciding to do it in their vacation homes in another town or state, potentially bringing the virus with them to the locals there.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
I just read about a supermarket cashier who died and it was absurd because:
- She worked with a high fever since the start of the week
- She's in Brescia, which is a hot zone
How does that even happen? Why was she working with a fever? If this kind of things continue it will take longer to stop the spread.
Fuck, this is terrible.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So apparently my father could have had Cornovirus since February as he had all of the respiratory symptoms except Fever oddly enough and he had to go to the hospital for having trouble breathing. They could never really find out what was wrong with him at the time.

The fact I had been around him a lot around that time makes me nervous and want to test myself ASAP even if I haven't shown any symptoms.

If you've been around him since February, you probably already had it and never realized it.

Shudouken

Jun 19, 2019
I'm surprised Airlines are still forcing people to call in and wait on hold for hours in order to cancel a flight.

They should set up a website/process, similar to checking in, to look up your flight and cancel it on your own.
I had a vacation planned in April and they still haven't allowed us a refund because "the situation might be different then".
There's no way this tourist flight is leaving ground with all airports in Austria on lockdown.

vastag

Oct 26, 2017

Even if we did absolute nothing we would have far less deaths than those in WWII, shared among every country in the world, to put things in perspective. Is bad, but not apocalyptic. Just calm down, breathe and try to look at the numbers.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Does it have any merit to stop most early-stage (no serious symptoms) testing, and divert all manpower, infrastructure and equipment to those that need care? Or - only do early-stage testing to those that have an essential position and cannot self-quarantine?

Oct 25, 2017
You are definetly just reading what you want to read from posts. I clearly said the reactions to negative posts need to be measured and not like "we are all fucked and gonna die".
This panic is not helping, I agree. If you want to be scared about the virus, yes, you should at least a bit. And the ensuing economic state of the globe is also concerning, but we are not all going to die. We have experienced absolutely horrendous pandemics and the past, and made it through those. As we progess over the next few months, the herd immunity to this virus is going to develop, and unfortunately people are going to die, but there is absolutely no reason to believe we, as a society, won't make it through this.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
This is happening in some US states as well, people who are staying home are deciding to do it in their vacation homes in another town or state, potentially bringing the virus with them to the locals there.

The difference is that we've been in lockdown one week already, and it's super illegal to move by car unless it's to take someone to the doctor/hospital or go to work. People know it but they still tried.