• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
there's nothing new here,this has been known for a while.
there is nothing confidential.
It's also been known that most of these asymptomatic people don't tend to stay that way. They're mostly just early in their infection and the vast majority will develop some sort of symptoms (although these are often mild). All of this makes it crucial to test all contacts regardless of whether they have symptoms. If a territory isn't doing that then they have no real idea of how many infections are in the region and no effective way of containing the spread.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Shit. My dad woke up with a 101 degree fever this morning. My mom talked to his doctor's triage nurse and she says that we should assume he has the virus. They are both quarantined for a week min. There aren't enough tests (obviously) so unless he starts getting worse, I he won't get tested. Fuck.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Shit. My dad woke up with a 101 degree fever this morning. My mom talked to his doctor's triage nurse and she says that we should assume he has the virus. They are both quarantined for a week min. There aren't enough tests (obviously) so unless he starts getting worse, I he won't get tested. Fuck.
Sorry to hear this. Hope he gets better soon.

iyox

Oct 25, 2017
Fauci just said yesterday that asymptomatic people mustn't get tested.

He says this because the US has so few tests that only high priority persons can get one, but this is an entirely insufficient approach to the problem and he should point it out.

That's for a different reason. They need to test the sick to know how to treat and place them. They aren't testing the asymptomatic because they/we should all be following the social distancing rules. Anyone without symptoms is presumed infected.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I don't want to divert attention from the serious discussion in here but I had a general question and not sure where to ask it.

I had a trip to Portugal and Spain planned for the end of April. The airline has refunded me. My Spanish hotel has already cancelled and refunded me, which is fine. The Portuguese hotel does not want to. They are claiming I can have a credit or nothing at all. I will use the credit probably but since I feel like there is no way I could possibly go, I would like a refund. Does anyone know if there's any government decree that says tourism or hotels must be shut? Or maybe that will come in 15 days or so and I should just wait?
Not yet as far as I'm aware, or not explicitely at least. A lot of places have shut down voluntarily but not by any legal mandate.

Are you from Europe? If so this site might be able to help you find something that can help you in terms of a refund: https://cec.consumidor.pt/pagina.aspx?ur=1

Otherwise, not sure what to tell you. Maybe try contacting the Portuguese Embassy in your country of residence, maybe they can offer some legal advice or something. :S

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I'm guessing the people who are freaking out about going out for walks are the same people who have hoarded years worth of food and toilet paper.

Going out for walks is fine, social distancing is key. This isn't a nuclear holocaust or an active warzone where you risk your life leaving your house at all. Not everyone is going to be out on the streets at the same time either, but, in case the streets are crowded with pedestrians, use your head and your discretion.

Go tell that to italians. I'm French and we are under lockdown. We have to stay at home as much as possible. For now, we can go outside and go jogging or walk the dog, as long as we are alone and distance oursrlves from other people we could meet.
But as some are abusing this, doing multiple walks, going where other people walk, this could sadly change.

It's not a good moment, but for the common good, it's better if everyone stays at home.

And I'm no hoarder, please don't make dumb generalization...

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018

Make sure he drinks stupid amounts of water. And I mean STUPID. Drink until he's utterly sick of it and pissing every half hour, then drink some more. Have a vitamin pack or two a day with it as well if he can. It'll help.

tycoonheart

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta give props to my local Trader Joe's, they are doing things right. Limiting the number is people that can enter the store and providing hand sanitizer to anyone entering and leaving. None of the bigger grocery stores in my area are doing that. Think I will be sticking with Trader Joe's.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Guys, taking a walk or walking your dog is 100% fine. Just follow the social distancing measures and wash your hands afterward.

Washing your hands alone does not protect you from the dangers of going outside.

Until we can normalize and build a vast supply of straightforward masks, people should only go out for essential things.

In major cities it is a disaster with all the people who treat this as a vacation and go out to enjoy the weather. Most people can deal with staying inside, but they refuse to sacrifice their quality of life.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What if other people are doing the same thing?
It goes without saying that population density plays a role. If you're in Shinjuku or Mumbai then it's different than if you're in rural North Dakota. I've taken my dog for a few short walks with my daughter and haven't gotten within 20 feet of anyone.

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017
Portugal:

1600 infected cases.
+320 since yesterday.
14 deaths.
+2 since yesterday.

Right after the DGS announcement, it was announced in the Azores that the cases in the region have risen to 11.
7 of those cases were from the island of São Jorge where a group of people who had travelled arrived last week, didn't stay in quarantine as ordered and apparently even made a deal inside the group that they wouldn't tell anyone if they had any symptoms because people would thought they would have the virus and they would have to stay in.
This all only came to light because one of the women in the group started to have so much trouble breathing that she barely could talk with emergency line.

Kleefeld

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
Bet your ass I'm going for a walk here in my quiet neighbourhood. There's room for everybody to have enough distance. At least the German experts don't see anything wrong with it.

Current doubling rate in days:

Firefox-Screenshot-2020-03-22-T14-21-47-470-Z.png

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
I live in an apartment block in Spain that has a lot of elderly people living in it. I really avoid leaving the house as much as possible, I left 3 times in one week because every time you go out and walk in with your dirty shoes and touch on door handles, elevator buttons etc you really put your older neighbor at risk.

I don't say it should be this way everywhere but I'm happy that Spain is being drastic at least during this first quarantine. It's just a month, let's make an effort to pass the peak and then we can slowly go back to allowing people to walk, do sports, etc.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Right after the DGS announcement, it was announced in the Azores that the cases in the region have risen to 11.
7 of those cases were from the island of São Jorge where a group of people who had travelled arrived last week, didn't stay in quarantine as ordered and apparently even made a deal inside the group that they wouldn't tell anyone if they had any symptoms because people would thought they would have the virus and they would have to stay in.
This all only came to light because one of the women in the group started to have so much trouble breathing that she barely could talk with emergency line.
Holy fucking shit. Throw these fuckers in a jail and throw out the damn key.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Go tell that to italians. I'm French and we are under lockdown. We have to stay at home as much as possible. For now, we can go outside and go jogging or walk the dog, as long as we are alone and distance oursrlves from other people we could meet.
But as some are abusing this, doing multiple walks, going where other people walk, this could sadly change.

It's not a good moment, but for the common good, it's better if everyone stays at home.

And I'm no hoarder, please don't make dumb generalization...

The situation in Italy is not how it is because people decided to go out for walks. Don't be stupid.

As I said in my post, social distancing is key. If your neighbourhood looks like the Shibuya Crossing on a normal day, obviously avoid going out as social distancing will be difficult to do in that situation.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Washing your hands alone does not protect you from the dangers of going outside.

Until we can normalize and build a vast supply of straightforward masks, people should only go out for essential things.

In major cities it is a disaster with all the people who treat this as a vacation and go out to enjoy the weather. Most people can deal with staying inside, but they refuse to sacrifice their quality of life.
I mean I live in a subdivision of about 25 houses. ~10 Feet between each house, super wide streets. Even if I take my dog on a walk and see someone else I can go on the opposite side and be 12 feet away from them. Obviously those in densely populated areas have it differently but I see no danger in going for a walk in my neighborhood.

I will definitely be avoiding parks of course.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bet your ass I'm going for a walk here in my quiet neighbourhood. There's room for everybody to have enough distance. At least the German experts don't see anything wrong with it.

Current doubling rate in days:

Firefox-Screenshot-2020-03-22-T14-21-47-470-Z.png

I went on a run yesterday here in Minneapolis. People were out, but everyone just kept their distance, waived, and even paused to let someone cross with enough space. It can easily be done.

Dec 31, 2017
I think I've done 15 paintings in the past couple of weeks. Quarantine must suck for people who don't have a hobby.

Now is a good time to try out a new hobby though.

It's been an excellent time for me to further learn a language and read. Having ebooks available and/or Netflix makes it super easy.

Anyone who is bored and looking for things to do, if you ever had a desire to learn another language now is the time! There's tons of resources online.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I live in an apartment block in Spain that has a lot of elderly people living in it. I really avoid leaving the house as much as possible, I left 3 times in one week because every time you go out and walk in with your dirty shoes and touch on door handles, elevator buttons etc you really put your older neighbor at risk.

I don't say it should be this way everywhere but I'm happy that Spain is being drastic at least during this first quarantine. It's just a month, let's make an effort to pass the peak and then we can slowly go back to allowing people to walk, do sports, etc.

You are correct, in apartment buildings it is very risky to leave. We all have to make an effort.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Is anyone here actually washing / sanitizing all of the stuff they buy at a supermarket before putting them away?

It seems a bit extreme but I see some recommendations for it, and as the only time I've been going out is to do groceries (since I can work from home) it would be annoying if I ended up sick because the virus got into my apartment via a package of nuts or whatever 🤔

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Someone here said they don't test people that died of pneumonia for C-19. Not sure if this is true though.
They count deaths as corona deaths if you die directly by the virus or if you die by another condition while infected by the virus. Also they only do post mortem tests if they suspect the death is in connection to the virus.

Here is a fact check by state tv:

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean I live in a subdivision of about 25 houses. ~10 Feet between each house, super wide streets. Even if I take my dog on a walk and see someone else I can go on the opposite side and be 12 feet away from them. Obviously those in densely populated areas have it differently but I see no danger in going for a walk in my neighborhood.

I will definitely be avoiding parks of course.

Yes, my post mostly refers to people in cities.

Deleted member 9932

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is anyone here actually washing / sanitizing all of the stuff they buy at a supermarket before putting them away?

It seems a bit extreme but I see some recommendations for it, and as the only time I've been going out is to do groceries (since I can work from home) it would be annoying if I ended up sick because the virus got into my apartment via a package of nuts or whatever 🤔

I clean every veggie/fruit, and remove every package and keep the contents somewhere else (when I can). If it's something I can't open right away, I'll just put it away for a whole week before using it.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
I do wonder about the comparatively small number of deaths. Is Germany, compared to the number of affected in the country, the country with the least deaths?

I read in an article posted a couple pages back that Germany and South Korea are treating patients with Interferon Alfa 2B. I wonder if it really helps and could explain the lower death count.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I clean every veggie/fruit, and remove every package and keep the contents somewhere else (when I can). If it's something I can't open right away, I'll just put it away for a whole week before using it.
We do, yes. Just to be safe and, to be perfectly honest, to have something more to do lol.
Maybe I'll try it 😔 My sink is small though I'll just fill up a bucket with water and soap and wash it all in there lol.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
They count deaths as corona deaths if you die directly by the virus or if you die by another condition while infected by the virus. Also they only do post mortem tests if they suspect the death is in connection to the virus.

Here is a fact check by state tv:

Germany's handling of it is quite remarkable since their number of deaths isn't being downplayed as some had thought. They've got nearly 24k cases and only 93 deaths.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
About the discussion of walks or not, just two things.

- Here in Spain is strictly forbidden. Lots of fines already of people jogging or biking.
- This is not all about social distancing. The virus can stay some time on things, you or other people could be in touch with a surface or ANYTHING with the virus unknowingly. This is way is it also banned to be in communal spaces in buildings.

You think you can go for a walk and don't meet anyone? Sure. Do you know how is it even safer? Staying at home.

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I have been. It doesn't take that long and my wife is a nurse, so I try to reduce the exposure potential for her.

The few times I've gone out to a grocery store, I sterilize everything. This includes my phone, credit card, wallet, key, and wash my clothes. Overkill likely, but I have the time right now anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'll try it 😔 My sink is small though I'll just fill up a bucket with water and soap and wash it all in there lol.
I do it as well, hot water and some soap over whatever has a box that can be washed, just some very hot water over veggies and the such. Probably not gonna make a big difference in some cases but it makes me shudder thinking all the hands my groceries have seen before I buy them.

Deleted member 15311

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Walking the dog is essential.

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
About the discussion of walks or not, just two things.

- Here in Spain is strictly forbidden. Lots of fines already of people jogging or biking.
- This is not all about social distancing. The virus can stay some time on things, you or other people could be in touch with a surface or ANYTHING with the virus unknowingly. This is way is it also banned to be in communal spaces in buildings.

You think you can go for a walk and don't meet anyone? Sure. Do you know how is it even safer? Staying at home.
I'll absolutely respect that if it's asked of us. I live in a house, so I'm not touching anything that's not mine once I leave. I run right outside the bike lane in the road and didn't come within 15 feet of anyone. My house literally faces a lake and I just run around it a few times and then back in.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How are people handling regular medical things right now? I've got a painful lump next to my ear all of a sudden and normally I'd get that checked out but now I'm wondering if I should just leave it. Or do I get it checked out now before everything peaks?

Naru

May 11, 2019
I just read that they want to implement a "no more than two people" rule in Germany. Exceptions are made for family members. Wow!