• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone here actually washing / sanitizing all of the stuff they buy at a supermarket before putting them away?

It seems a bit extreme but I see some recommendations for it, and as the only time I've been going out is to do groceries (since I can work from home) it would be annoying if I ended up sick because the virus got into my apartment via a package of nuts or whatever 🤔

I'm really mindful of it as I've seen people cough on food shelves, not on purpose mind and you never know if the shop worker has contaminated hands or coughs or sneezes on to packaging.

I wear gloves to the shop and back home I wash some items and carefully open other things and wash my hands properly after. Sometimes leave things untouched for 3 days. You can use two pairs of scissors to open packaging.

At one shop I bought a bottle of water and washed it with soap and water at home.

Same with post through the door, I treat it as infected.

Oct 30, 2017
President Duterte is already asking for special powers. One of powers is to privatize businesses in response to private hospitals centralizing (good) covid patients to specific hospitals. Those hospitals turned out to be under equipped and under staffed public hospitals. Given his track record this won't be used responsibly.

A pathologist has clarified the types of testing in this twitter thread:

Seems like the rapid test is only for those with symptoms. The test for asymptomatic carriers takes more time since its basically genetic testing. There is currently a call for mass testing since our politicians are getting themselves tested before patients with symptoms. Patients have died before they knew they were positive for Covid. Its assumed that the politicians got in front of the line ahead of the patients that died. People are mad.

Don't let this happen to you guys.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
I think we forget that lots of parts of the USA are not densely populated at all. If you are not sick and don't live in a densly populated area it's probably safe to walk unless the trees are now spreading Corona.

Sure maybe not the case walking out of your apt. in Manhattan or deciding to go to the most popular park in town.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Washing your hands alone does not protect you from the dangers of going outside.

Until we can normalize and build a vast supply of straightforward masks, people should only go out for essential things.

In major cities it is a disaster with all the people who treat this as a vacation and go out to enjoy the weather. Most people can deal with staying inside, but they refuse to sacrifice their quality of life.
What is these dangers in places outside with no one?

Cyborg009

Oct 28, 2017
I hate that I still have to come to work. But I'll probably be laid off this week so that makes things a bit better.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
They count deaths as corona deaths if you die directly by the virus or if you die by another condition while infected by the virus. Also they only do post mortem tests if they suspect the death is in connection to the virus.

Here is a fact check by state tv:

Yup. Unless we are fucking magicians, which I doubt, it shows that the death rate is probably lower than expected and the count of people infected particularly in Italy and Spain is much higher than suspected. Which... should be good news because it could mean most countries peak earlier.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
German politician Karl Lauterbach, who is also a doctor just tweeted this:

He says he talked to US colleagues today who said the situation is completely out of control. Hospitals lack money, tests and personnel.

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
This thing has been a bitch to get over. Been 10 days since symptoms came on and I'm just getting over this. Still have the occasional chest pain but it's not consistent like it was. Still have a cough but it's not consistent. Been really tired throughout this too, which I saw Tom Hanks was experiencing as well.

Either I had corona or the worst cast of bronchitis ever. Shit sucks.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
President Duterte is already asking for special powers. One of powers is to privatize businesses in response to private hospitals centralizing (good) covid patients to specific hospitals. Those hospitals turned out to be under equipped and under staffed public hospitals. Given his track record this won't be used responsibly.

A pathologist has clarified the types of testing in this twitter thread:

Seems like the rapid test is only for those with symptoms. The test for asymptomatic carriers takes more time since its basically genetic testing. There is currently a call for mass testing since our politicians are getting themselves tested before patients with symptoms. Patients have died before they knew they were positive for Covid. Its assumed that the politicians got in front of the line ahead of the patients that died. People are mad.

Don't let this happen to you guys.

yup this testing for antibodies, can cause false negatives if it is too early in the incubation period

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
I was too poor to go on spring break when I was in college, I was barely surviving. So those spoiled rich kids can cry me a river, I bet they didn't even pay for their trips.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
according to some data released in italy yesterday, pre-existing health conditions seem to be the more determining factor with this virus, of course most old people will have some kind of health issues, but as of now less than 1% of people who died in italy by corona virus was completely healthy before, and around 10% were less than 60 years old.

although it's entirely possible that the data is unreliable since thousands of people are still in hospitals right now, and it might be that younger people just last longer before complications ensue

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
Wonder if the Netherlands are getting any stricter measures this week. Too many people still ignoring the 1,5m distance. Heard Merkel is going to announce that it'll be forbidden to gather in groups more then 2-3.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I cannot possibly believe schools are going to start opening again in 2 weeks.

If it hasn't already most states are prolly going to extend their closure. Oregon went pretty quick from reopening end of March to end of April. While we're not looking forward to having our 6yrold cooped up in the house for so long what can you do. Least we're spread out enough that walks and bike rides are a nonissue.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I'm guessing the people who are freaking out about going out for walks are the same people who have hoarded years worth of food and toilet paper.

Going out for walks is fine, social distancing is key. This isn't a nuclear holocaust or an active warzone where you risk your life leaving your house at all. Not everyone is going to be out on the streets at the same time either, but, in case the streets are crowded with pedestrians, use your head and your discretion.

Get the hell out with this Trumpian downplaying. The virus can stay active in the air for hours; social distancing helps but it's not a magic solution. Simply going for a walk and breathing the air that someone infected has breathed can get you infected as well.

What the hell is causing people not to understand how contagious this virus is?

Nov 13, 2017
Cuomo's daily briefings are giving me some semblance of hope from leadership. Good on NY for really going ham on testing – as much as they could afford to.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think we forget that lots of parts of the USA are not densely populated at all. If you are not sick and don't live in a densly populated area it's probably safe to walk unless the trees are now spreading Corona.

Sure maybe not the case walking out of your apt. in Manhattan or deciding to go to the most popular park in town.
Like The Happening?

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Get the hell out with this Trumpian downplaying. The virus can stay active in the air for hours; social distancing helps but it's not a magic solution. Simply going for a walk and breathing the air that someone infected has breathed can get you infected as well.

well science still doesn't know if the virus can be transmitted this way since we have no idea what the necessary dose to start the infectuion is.

Wolfapo

Dec 27, 2017

That was all done in a lab with stable conditions.
It also says that this is no proof that the virus has been transmitted that way in real life conditions.

According to experts, it's not dangerous to go out and take walk as long as the necessary distance is kept and crowded places avoided.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017

you should also take a moment to understand what you are posting, because it's a laboratory scenario and not real world.

You can get yourself all riled up, but if you are going to tell other people the dangers of leaving their house, start with something better

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone here actually washing / sanitizing all of the stuff they buy at a supermarket before putting them away?

It seems a bit extreme but I see some recommendations for it, and as the only time I've been going out is to do groceries (since I can work from home) it would be annoying if I ended up sick because the virus got into my apartment via a package of nuts or whatever 🤔

We are. Pain in the ass to do it, but I'm not risking it.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017

A way to win an argument is call everything you disagree with Trumpian.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
It's weird to think of the level at which young lives are being put on hold right now. Are we going to have a year with no graduates? Is everyone going to be held back a grade?
Here in Saskatchewan when the provincial government announced the indefinite closure of schools they announced that all students will pass to the next level immediately with their current grades as their final grades I have a daughter in grade 9. It's crazy there's been no formal plan for tele education or anything. Luckily all her grades were in the high 90s but I've been just giving her different work to work on in the evenings.
This whole situation is so unprecedented I can't even begin to imagine what the long-term fallout will be