• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any truth to what my friend just sent me or could this be dismissed?

nypost.com

Whistleblower doctors say coronavirus reinfection even deadlier

Chinese doctors sounding the alarm on the coronavirus say the illness could be even deadlier for patients who catch it again, according to a report. The whistleblowing physicians working to fight t…
Article is from February 19 and we would have much more reporting on reinfection now if this was true

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017

nypost.com

Chinese doctors sounding the alarm on the coronavirus say the illness could be even deadlier for patients who catch it again, according to a report. The whistleblowing physicians working to fight t…
Doubtful. The only people at any real risk of reinfection are those that are already have compromised immune systems, which would be the only reason why they wouldn't have the standard acquired immunity after recovering. That alone puts them in a high risk category.

All other indications is that it's a normal virus in that regard; that once you recover, you're immune, period.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Why are most cases in NY only? Is it because of its density or is it because it's the only state doing mass testing?

If it's the latter, I cant imagine the figures once all states commit to testing.

It's both but mostly the latter. NYS ramped up testing faster than every other state and faster than many countries.

The density and that NYC is a hub for travelers also makes a difference. But primarily density.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

nypost.com

Scaremongering article but we don't really know about reinfection.

There were some cases of reinfection in China but not enough to come up with data on it, like if they had a mild case early and then later got a severe case, or if an early test could have bee a false positive, etc.

One thing that generally seems to be true is that the disease is not "more severe in the west" or anything. Some early reports of cases in Europe and North American we're starting to go into that territory. By and large that hasn't born out with more data.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
What are the chances this is spread through second hand smoke?

Virtually zero unless by "second hand" someone is handing you a cigarette :)

Smoking and second hand smoke can make symptoms worse because it is a respiratory infection.

There's some batty articles that more poluted cities suffer higher infection rates but that seems to be coincidence not causation. A number of nature enthusiats shared articles about the virus spreading faster in cities with car pollution and tried to peg it to the soiled air suspending spit or something. But more likely polluted cities are also highly condensed cities population density where people are naturally closer together.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
lol, Denver mayor changed his mind about classifying liquor and marijuana stores as non-essential 2 hours after it was announced.

elty

Oct 31, 2017
Ontario just release a list of business that are essential. The list is so long I wonder if it is easier to list what is not essential.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
you realise there are young diabetic, with high blood pressure and other underlying issues that Corona takes advantage of right?

We already knew almost from the start that pre-existing conditions make catching the virus dangerous regardless of age. And even if you're young and healthy, a .05% chance of death is still a fucking chance. Young people can and do still die from the regular flu. Everyone's immune system is different.

Jan 31, 2018
All posts like this do is spread fear and anxiety. It is not healthy. Follow the guidelines and lay of the news.
Strongly disagree. Given what Trump and other republicans want to do, stories like this need to be broadcast everywhere, constantly, so that people realize what's going to happen if the government goes through with their idiotic plan.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
High incidence of asymptomatic SARS-CoV-2 infection, Chongqing, China

Some interesting discussion. It may be possible that we've been severely underestimating the true number of infections. If this is the case, then the fatality rate would also be greatly overstated.

Some people are speculating that perhaps China didn't really contain the virus after all, and that they instead achieved herd immunity... Seems far-fetched to me. In my opinion, the biggest thing that debunks this is the fact that the rate of infection dropped as soon China implemented the lockdown (as per this analysis).

Thoughts?

Deleted member 48991

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
That's ONE young person out of the THOUSANDS of dead and dying elderly patients...
But also a pretty high rate of hospitalization and even young people ending up in the ICU. Meanwhile there's a bunch of young people think they will mostly get a cold if they get COVID-19. It seems like many people actually get much worse than just a cold, despite being young and not having preexisting conditions.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
That's ONE young person out of the THOUSANDS of dead and dying elderly patients...
Even if you disregard the death rate among younger people, there's still a 20% hospitalization rate among all infected. Just because someone doesn't die doesn't mean that there aren't serious consequences.

Some interesting discussion. It may be possible that we've been severely underestimating the true number of infections. If this is the case, then the fatality rate would also be greatly overstated.

Some people are speculating that perhaps China didn't really contain the virus after all, and that they instead achieved herd immunity... Seems far-fetched to me. In my opinion, the biggest thing that debunks this is the fact that the rate of infection dropped as soon China implemented the lockdown (as per this analysis).

Thoughts?
It's a completely nonsensical idea. For herd immunity to exist, a minimum of 60% of the population would either have to have natural immunity or be vaccinated or be infected and recover. Of these, the first two do not exist for Covid-19 so China would have to have had some 800 million infections and just forgot to tell anyone.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
It literally sounds exactly like anxiety. These are really stressful times and stress causes tension in the chest. Maybe try some guided relaxation meditation?
Here's hoping lol. That's what I'm thinking it is, just needed some reassurance. I don't want to alarm my roommate so I was worried about running my concerns by him. I asked one of my friends to drop an inhaler off tomorrow which I think will relieve some of my anxiety since if something does happen where I have trouble breathing, I can help it with that. I haven't had an asthma attack in literally fifteen years but this has got me worrying. I thought I still had an inhaler but I just found it and it expired in 2011 :/

Darksol

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
Ontario just release a list of business that are essential. The list is so long I wonder if it is easier to list what is not essential.

where's the list?

Edit: found it

s3.amazonaws.com

List of Essential Workplaces

For the purposes of this order, businesses include any-for-profit, non-profit or other entity providing the goods and services described herein. This does not pr...

Last edited:

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017

Thoughts?
CFR in Hubei being overstated is a possibility.

"Herd immunity" is a completely absurd suggestion.

shacklesmcgee

Oct 25, 2017
where's the list?

Edit: found it

s3.amazonaws.com

List of Essential Workplaces

For the purposes of this order, businesses include any-for-profit, non-profit or other entity providing the goods and services described herein. This does not pr...

It's madness, I know we can't completely shut down society, but when I think of "essential businesses", I don't think of 74(!) different groupings of businesses

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
It's madness, I know we can't completely shut down society, but when I think of "essential businesses", I don't think of 74(!) different groupings of businesses
I know what you mean but: ''Beer, wine and liquor stores and alcohol producers, and stores that sell beer and wine through arrangements with authorized providers; cannabis stores and cannabis producers'' definitely sounds essential to me. Not a canadian, but I wouldn't be able to survive this shit if without getting fucked up a couple of times. I don't do weed but might as well start now.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
10:42 PM (CST):

JT99sFP.jpg

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
So when do you guys think the United States will have the most official cases in the world? Friday? Next Monday just in time for us to all go back to work?

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017

Thoughts?

I have no idea about the validity of your link.

But in the comments, someone says...

"Most symptoms would come from the inflammatory response so it's possible people with weaker immune systems would show fewer symptoms. "

is that how immune systems work? If you have a weak immune system, it's less likely to "attack" the virus, so you show fewer symptoms (at least initially)?

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So even if Trump wanted to call for an immediate return to work...governors can surely override him on the state-level, right?

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Really interesting study from Singapore that I haven't seen posted indicating that it's following the trajectory of other coronavirus like SARS and MERS, mutating to actually become less infectious in order to be less detectable in the human body.

In theory, the virus wants to infect a lot of people, but not kill them and be detected. It wants to be able to easily and freely duplicate without drawing much attention to itself.

Theodran

Oct 25, 2017
Japan

Thoughts?

The extensive skimming they did in Iceland actually showed the same. Roughly half of those infected were asymptomatic (source).

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018
I swear if Trump goes out there and says LOCK DOWN DONE, it is the absolute WORSE outcome that can happen.

And the absolute worst outcome is the theme of his term in office.

So it would just be yet another unsurprising new low. No outcome, no matter how bad it is, is too much for him. He's very fucking evil.