• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
So what does the federal government do? I don't believe they did nothing. Even Trump send 200 ventilators to New York.

most hospitals are themselves starved of materials. my girlfriends sister works in healthcare in a german hospital, they are constructing their shields and masks themselves because there is nothing left. basically it is "if you don´t have symptoms you can go ahead and work". tell that someone who had cancer a few years ago and is already immune system compromised..

it is baffling that western countries were not prepared for a situaton like this

louie

Oct 29, 2017
masks for what? Hospitals and health care workers desperately need those

stay home and don't hog precious supplies

This doesn't apply to everywhere. I get a lot of friends and family telling me this when I upload photos online, but where I'm at in Malaysia the government have ordered people to wear masks at all times outside.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Working retails right now shows you all the dumbasses that will kill all of us. I'm constantly having to dodge people all day cus they keep getting real close to me even though they didn't have to. I'm still seeing people openly coughing or touching their face. I'm still seeing people constantly talking to friends inches apart. I'm seeing huge families all going shopping even though only one person should be doing it.

It's so frustrating that stupidity will bring everything crumbling down.

Movies where there's one dumbass who gets everyone killed are very unrealistic, it should be everyone who is the dumbass aside from one or two people.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Working retails right now shows you all the dumbasses that will kill all of us. I'm constantly having to dodge people all day cus they keep getting real close to me even though they didn't have to. I'm still seeing people openly coughing or touching their face. I'm still seeing people constantly talking to friends inches apart. I'm seeing huge families all going shopping even though only one person should be doing it.

Movies where there's one dumbass who gets everyone killed are very unrealistic, it should be everyone who is the dumbass aside from one or two people.

We also get the people who just have to run out to the store for a 6 pack of beer.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
This doesn't apply to everywhere. I get a lot of friends and family telling me this when I upload photos online, but where I'm at in Malaysia the government have ordered people to wear masks at all times outside.

that is the difference, asia tells people "wear masks" and western countries say "nah, public don´t need no masks, reserve it for healthcare" (which makes little sense)

Deleted member 32679

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017

I'm just happy my retail job closed down for 2 weeks since I was worried of experiencing what your going through.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I've been staying at home in Canada for the past two weeks now only going out for groceries and luckily my whole family can work from home. It's insane to see so many in America in usually conservative states not caring and getting infected.

ostrichKing

Oct 25, 2017
news.gallup.com

Presidential Job Approval Center

Explore Gallup data on presidential job approval ratings from Truman to Biden.

Trump's job approval is now at a record high (49% approval, 45% disapproval), never been better. The coronavirus has been good for him politically.
It won't be...America tends to rally around their president at first during a crisis...as the death toll grows his numbers will go down...

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
Louisiana and Georgia are really bad.

And they're really behind on testing. It's only the tip of the iceberg for them.

It's going to be really, really bad. It always was going to be bad in the South and Appalachia, the yearly flu deaths are highest there per capita, but these states simply don't have the resources, advanced logistics and coordination to fight this.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
i mean i didn´t bought hundreds of masks. only enough so that we can go get some groceries in the coming weeks.

national clothing factories could/should have already switched from making other stuff to making masks. same as distilleries can switch to making disinfection solutions

true,why isn't the US doing it already

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
news.gallup.com

Trump's job approval is now at a record high (49% approval, 45% disapproval), never been better. The coronavirus has been good for him politically.
Bush approval rating spiked to 90% after 9/11. It's actually more telling that the crisis bump in solidarity is so small for Trump. That erodes very quickly as things get worse.

Kid Heart

Oct 25, 2017
news.gallup.com

For his, "rally around the flag," moment that is pretty terrible. I fully expect those numbers to tank once we're another week or two into this, and the country begins to see how woefully underprepared we are. I would not be shocked if we start hitting 35% approval again.

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
I think this is the more meaningful number than new cases atm, we're testing but there are a lot of tests that are taking forever to come back and get reported.
The hospitals, at least the Puget Sound, are doing OK still. PPE and testing gear still feels like the main bottleneck. I still strongly feel that the orderly shutdown of the area over the last three weeks vs. the crash dive seen everywhere else is making a big difference b/c that's how exponential functions work.

I just don't know how we get back to normalcy even if we do level things out w/o mass testing and some kind of surveillance state measures that people will balk at.
Seattle was helped by it being the first area with cases. They began shutting things down comparatively early to other cities. Seattle was also helped by the fact that so many people here are in the tech field and were able to quickly and efficiently switch to working from home. UW shut down quickly as well. It also helps that the city and state are being driven by science and medicine, not by reactionary ideology. I know that UW and Fred Hutch have had prominent roles in the decision making.

iyox

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be really, really bad. It always was going to be bad in the South and Appalachia, the yearly flu deaths are highest there per capita, but these states simply don't have the resources, advanced logistics and coordination to fight this.

I think in some communities the ER is staffed by one or two docs. I can see GA getting hit pretty hard because of the community flight from ATL and its suburbs. Many of the suburban population from ATL seems to own weekend homes in the areas surrounding the TVA lakes. I could see those communities having a pretty severe issue very soon.

iyox

Oct 25, 2017
Trump's remarks about WV and FL governors "doing a good job", in relation to small number or no cases in those places last week, is another strong indication that he fundamentally doesn't understand the current crisis.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
For his, "rally around the flag," moment that is pretty terrible. I fully expect those numbers to tank once we're another week or two into this, and the country begins to see how woefully underprepared we are. I would not be shocked if we start hitting 35% approval again.

I'm morbidly curious about what's going to happen if things get bad in the mid-west/fly-over states. Most of the time, the mindset there is that Americans in that part of the country are largely untouched by the greater tapestry of global and national events.

But if even their hospitals start getting overwhelmed, and they're standing there with their elderly parent being turned away because there's no more room, and everyone knows this is a death sentence.... I really do wonder how they'll react now that it's no longer an "urban elite" problem, but something happening right there, where they live.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

We're going to be seeing 9/11 levels of death every single day soon - as in the next 2-3 weeks. Statistically, it's inevitable. It's horrifying.

Before we could hear the train coming, and now we see the train coming, and some Americans are still perfectly okay just standing on the tracks.

If thousands of people are dying throughout the country every day and tests -still- aren't easily available to Trump's base and everyone else, then even some of Trump's staunchest supporters will turn on him because Trump's bullshit will actually be directly affecting them (just like the government shutdown of January 2019, which also dug into Trump's approval rating while it went on).

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
news.gallup.com

news.gallup.com

Bush Job Approval Highest in Gallup History

President George W. Bush's call to arms in a nationwide address last Thursday evening has elicited widespread public support for a war against terrorism, as well as the highest presidential job approval rating ever measured by Gallup since it began asking the public for its evaluation over six...

Kid Heart

Oct 25, 2017
I'm morbidly curious about what's going to happen if things get bad in the mid-west/fly-over states. Most of the time, the mindset there is that Americans in that part of the country are largely untouched by the greater tapestry of global and national events.

But if even their hospitals start getting overwhelmed, and they're standing there with their elderly parent being turned away because there's no more room, and everyone knows this is a death sentence.... I really do wonder how they'll react now that it's no longer an "urban elite" problem, but something happening right there, where they live.

A lot of the midwestern states have already initiated lockdowns, so I think they already realize how serious it is.

As for the central and southern states, well, if a lot of them don't act fast I think they are in for a really rude awakening.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of the midwestern states have already initiated lockdowns, so I think they already realize how serious it is.

As for the central and southern states, well, if a lot of them don't act fast I think they are in really rude awakening.

It looks like Louisiana is already in a bad place. The New Orleans numbers are not looking good.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
PBS put out a video about why soap is good at killing viruses and bacteria and why it's better than hand sanitizer (although it's the next best option if you don't have soap on hand)

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
So Tokyo going into a soft lockdown today. Cancelled all my plans and went shopping for any essentials I needed, should of done this a day ago since everywhere is packed.
Work will decide tomorrow whats going on. Prediction by my co-workers is a hard lockdown in a week or two since it seems no one is taking the soft lock seriously.

N7Commander01

Jan 2, 2020
Tokyo, Japan
So Tokyo going into a soft lockdown today. Cancelled all my plans and went shopping for any essentials I needed, should of done this a day ago since everywhere is packed.
Work will decide tomorrow whats going on. Prediction by my co-workers is a hard lockdown in a week or two since it seems no one is taking the soft lock seriously.

My work just told everyone to go into full hard lockdown and quarantine. All staff memebers

I think they are predicting a hard lock soon

Ulbrick

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Nottingham, England
Got drunk last night so I'm happy I woke up (Granted 4:21 AM) pretty sober.

My grandad who's been put in a psych-ward, and is now blind after a stroke (That was also after he fell down the stairs and broke his ribs, he had a stroke in hospital about 2 days afterwards)... Now has COVID-19.

He's my adoptive parent, as is my grandma, I'm pretty numb at the moment.

Annoyingly she also went to see him on Saturday - granted they only found out he had COVID-19 yesterday and hasn't shown any symptoms but he's 70, diabetic, already has infections and I'm assuming will probably die, my grandma possibly has it - and I saw her two days ago so it's possible (I guess a 25% chance?) that I have it - and I've been working in an office since then, I was sent home yesterday.

BLAH.

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
A huge increase of people at my company are now actually WFH. Some are still at the office, no idea why...I was the only one who was constantly WFH and now for the first time, my entire team is WFH. I hope people will take the request to not go out seriously.

May 31, 2018
Man I've been thinking...

Today and yesterday I felt great. The 4 days before that though my airways felt swollen almost. Last week I was over at my folks house before I felt anything and I can't remember if I put my fork I ate off of in the olive jar twice. I know this seems silly, but it's almost 1 a.m. and I'm not sure what do think.

KrigareN-

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Is the number of cases and deaths in California relative to other states fairly representative of the actual situation? Or is there anything that's keeping it artificially "low"?

I know it's under reported, but that's true for every state. So relatively speaking, is California managing this situation more effectively?

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Is the number of cases and deaths in California relative to other states fairly representative of the actual situation? Or is there anything that's keeping it artificially "low"?

I know it's under reported, but that's true for every state. So relatively speaking, is California managing this situation more effectively?

We're a HUGE state and much more spread out.

We did lock down sooner than most, and in the bay area tech companies had instituted work from home more than a week before the bay area lockdown.

Stuggernaut

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle, WA, USA
I think economic breakdown is scary, but dead people is scarier. WTF these people pushing so hard for everyone to get back to normal. You have multi-BILLION dollar corporations, and it sure as shit is not the super rich that are going to go back to work in public areas... nope. They are more concerned with the bottom line than with all the hard working people that line their pockets.

I know I am speaking very generally here, which I hate doing, and there are tons of great rich people/companies out there. But where does money get you when you alienate the public that spends THEIR money with you?

Same with insurance companies... it's ridiculous.

MoosetheMark

May 3, 2019
How are my NYC peeps holding up? I see all these quarantine videos of people in the suburbs and other states complaining from their huge backyards and giant houses, meanwhile my tiny apartment doesn't even have a balcony. It's genuinely scary leaving the house, obviously it's scary everywhere but here at the epicenter, you really are putting yourself at risk every time you step outside. I don't bother with the grocery stores, I make a bodega run every three days or so but even that is just... really intense. I'd feel a lot better if I had a mask, I wish I knew where everyone was getting them because they're apparently so plenty I see tons of them just discarded on the sidewalk.

KrigareN-

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
We're a HUGE state and much more spread out.

We did lock down sooner than most, and in the bay area tech companies had instituted work from home more than a week before the bay area lockdown.
Gotcha.

I've been very happy with how our state has handled it, and I just wanted to make sure it's been effective and not simply due to lack of testing or other factors.

greepoman

Oct 26, 2017
Gotcha.

I've been very happy with how our state has handled it, and I just wanted to make sure it's been effective and not simply due to lack of testing or other factors.
Say what you will about tech bro companies but everyone I know (from friends in both blue and red States) seemed to take it more seriously than the govt and proactively took measures early.