• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am curious to see how much this 8 degree Celsius research holds as being optimal for the Virus. MN is finally going to be pretty consistently in that range.

Zerokku

Oct 25, 2017
I am curious to see how much this 8 degree Celsius research holds as being optimal for the Virus. MN is finally going to be pretty consistently in that range.

This may be the first time I've ever actually looked forward to Arizona's 110-120 degree Fahrenheit summers. Hoping that does *something* for us (besides help keep people the fuck inside)

ExtinguirX

Nov 22, 2018
The Mayor of Bergamo (Italy), Giorgio Gori, gave some insight on how bad the situation really is

March 1 - 24:
446 have died
136 only were officially registered for Covid-19
98 is the average numbers of dead for the month in previous years

twitter.com

Giorgio Gori on Twitter

“A #Bergamo, dall’1 al 24 marzo, i decessi dei residenti sono stati 446: 348 più della media degli ultimi anni (98). I decessi ufficialmente dovuti a #Covid19 nel periodo sono 136. Ce ne sono 212 in più. Con una mortalità all’1,5-2%, i contagiati in città sarebbero tra 17 e 23mila”

Urishizu

Dead Drop Studios Founder
Verified
Nov 5, 2017

Apologies, just to clarify. Is 8 degrees celsius considered "optimal" as in it would slow down the virus, or that it would cause an expansion of the affected areas?

Mar 3, 2019

Scotch

Oct 28, 2017
The Mayor of Bergamo (Italy), Giorgio Gori, gave some insight on how bad the situation really is

March 1 - 24:
446 have died
136 only were officially registered for Covid-19
98 is the average numbers of dead for the month in previous years

twitter.com

Giorgio Gori on Twitter

“A #Bergamo, dall’1 al 24 marzo, i decessi dei residenti sono stati 446: 348 più della media degli ultimi anni (98). I decessi ufficialmente dovuti a #Covid19 nel periodo sono 136. Ce ne sono 212 in più. Con una mortalità all’1,5-2%, i contagiati in città sarebbero tra 17 e 23mila”
Wait. Is he saying an extra 310 people died of Covid-19 that aren't in the official statistics?

Edit: nevermind, I get it now. So 98 is the normal average, and with an extra 136 you'd expect the number to be around 230, but it's actually twice that. Wow.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Italy's update:
+6153 new positive cases (total 80539)
+662 new deaths (total 8165) Warning: in these numbers, 50 deaths of Piemonte are not counted today (I think they will be counted tomorrow).
+999 new recoveries (total 10361)

Sendero

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to ask again, but those anyone know where we can track the # of Testing done per day on Spain or Italy? Preferably if it also has confirmed cases.
People focuses in infected numbers, but I think that the correlation with Testing is worth reviewing.

Here, the testing has been kept to the minimum, so would like to compare results in the first 15-20 days.

Darksol

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
America taken over second spot from Italy, and China just around the corner
Edit: Italy has retaken it

Last edited:

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wow...

"Many of the young people who are getting sick don't smoke, they're healthy, they have no co-morbidities. They're just young, regular people between the ages of 30 and 50 who you would not expect to get this sick."

So much misinformation was spread about this virus - how it only affects the elderly. Where did that start?
Yes, mortality percentages are going to be vastly higher for older people, but the virus doesn't give a shit about your age.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only bright side to having your flip flops melt on the asphalt at 11 am.

Why would it get worse in warmer weather?

8 degrees C isn't exactly warm. Hardest hit cities thus far have been in that range.

www.scmp.com

Coronavirus ‘highly sensitive’ to high temperatures, Chinese study says

Pathogen appears to spread fastest at 8.72 degrees Celsius, so countries in colder climes should ‘adopt the strictest control measures’, according to researchers from Sun Yat-sen University in Guangdong province.

JayRB88

Dec 3, 2019
So much misinformation was spread about this virus - how it only affects the elderly. Where did that start?
Yes, mortality percentages are going to be vastly higher for older people, but the virus doesn't give a shit about your age.

The thing to keep in mind is that the number of young people getting sick enough to be hospitalized isn't nearly as high as the number of old people getting sick. This statement is basically saying of the young who do get sick many have no comorbidities not that many young people are getting sick overall. I think about 4 percent of people under 44 need to be hospitalized and less than 1 percent in ICU if the hospitalization data a few days/weeks ago was accurate. It basically said 20 percent of hospitalized patients were under 44 and 4 percent of patients in ICU were under 44.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018

I think it started in China. Their original reports vastly underestimated the effects COVID would have in younger patients. It wasn't until things started to take off in Italy and France that we started to hear more and more cases of young, healthy patients dying or falling critically ill overnight. It's now hitting the U.S. and the reports of young people falling ill keeps increasing.

Statistically it does so far.

That's true. I just hope the youngest don't underestimate this virus by skipping quarantines. We still have some careless people spreading the virus just because they think it won't affect them. The thing is, it might.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah there are young people affected but it is still unlikely you are getting hospitalized if you are younger.
The perspective from the video is from a person who deals with those young people, so it might appear more severe than it is.
Still: stay home if you can.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to ask again, but those anyone know where we can track the # of Testing done per day on Spain or Italy? Preferably if it also has confirmed cases.
People focuses in infected numbers, but I think that the correlation with Testing is worth reviewing.

Here, the testing has been kept to the minimum, so would like to compare results in the first 15-20 days.

In the first weeks we (Spain) did very few tests: 30k total on the 15 of this month. Now supposedly we are on 15k-20k tests each day, since we have adquired the fast detection tests.

Mar 3, 2019
8 degrees C isn't exactly warm. Hardest hit cities thus far have been in that range.

www.scmp.com

Coronavirus ‘highly sensitive’ to high temperatures, Chinese study says

Pathogen appears to spread fastest at 8.72 degrees Celsius, so countries in colder climes should ‘adopt the strictest control measures’, according to researchers from Sun Yat-sen University in Guangdong province.

Weird, I thought viruses in general did better in colder weather? Here in Minnesota we are going from like 30 to the 40/50s soon, so you would think that would make the virus less capable?

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018
Fontana isn't a fan of the current government, so any chances he has to spit on it is fine to him. No big surprises.

As a side note, all those buying the numbers from Germany (if German) should trying calling in and ask for a test to see what the actual answer given is.
I have many friends over there saying that they just tell you "it's probably a flu, stay home" and things like that.

The last OFFICIALLY recorded numbers of tests per million - 15 march - tell an entirely different story, as well as the cause of death in relation to posthomous test not being performed, which are performed both in Italy and Spain.

I hope, no: i PRAY all the gods old and new that they are just being amazingly efficient (they ARE german after all!)....but in my opinion there is some fuckery going around with the numbers.
Especially counting that i live next to an Agrotourism and they are always filled with germans (as well as other EU people) that come over for a month or two to get treated in northern Italy in some of our clinics due do (their words) "being better equipped than the ones we have".

I know: anecdotal, still...the WHO seems to agree in terms of healthcare rankings.

EDIT:
Also, i just checked to make sure, here are the world rankings for "healtiest population"
  • Spain
  • Italy
  • Iceland
  • Japan
  • Switzerland
  • Sweden
  • Australia
  • Singapore
  • Norway & Israel

Germany isn't in the top.

There is a huge difference between having the most cozy hospital beds with the best service and having the most ICU beds and being equipped for catastrophes.

Demanding a test isn't just possible right now. What do you want the test to do? If you have symptoms, self quarantine and isolate,if they get severe call a hospital or your doctor. If you have symptoms after being in contact with someone who was tested positive,you also get your test.

With 350k tests a week it takes over five years to test every citizen in germany.

The top list of healthiest people in the world is great for showing how covid 19 doesn't care about this list.

Oct 25, 2017
I think about 4 percent of people under 44 need to be hospitalized and less than 1 percent in ICU if the hospitalization data a few days/weeks ago was accurate. It basically said 20 percent of hospitalized patients were under 44 and 4 percent of patients in ICU were under 44.

Numbers I saw from CDC last week was something around 20% hospitalization rate and 4% ICU for 20-44

www.cdc.gov

Severe Outcomes Among Patients with Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19

COVID-19 can result in severe disease, including hospitalization, admission to an intensive care unit, and death, especially among older adults. Everyone can take actions, such as social distancing...

Last edited:

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
Italy numbers seem to be in "control", at least we avoided the exponential growth. We need this kind of "peak" (numbers that are still high, but distributed on a longer period of time) all over the world.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Prof. Christian Dorsten, basically the No.1 Virologist in germany, said that they estimate that germany is doing up to 500.000 tests per Week.

500.000!!!

He says it has to do with the fact, that coorperation is big in germany between laboratory personal and Medics.

Germany tested over 400k citizens starting from 9th march to 24th march. They want to make even more tests, but they are restricted to resources and reactants and the demand is rising.

Dr. Gassen told in the press conference right now.

So which is which? Because between 500k per week and 400k in 2 weeks is a very big difference. If I remember well that 160k in a day was also coming from Prof. Dorsten. Which again doesn't fit with 400k in 2 weeks.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SoDak Numbers

Yesterdays report v Todays

V6ZfHCM.png

Looks like we found a thousand or so test kits overnight.

Substantial Community spread continues in 2 counties.

Coronavirus updates and information

South Dakota's The South Dakota Department of Health (SD-DOH) continues to monitor the emergence of the novel coronavirus. We are working with the CDC and our healthcare partners across the state to prepare for and respond to a potential case.

but our Governor is asking us to take a break and go for a walk while thinking about all the good things...

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The thing to keep in mind is that the number of young people getting sick enough to be hospitalized isn't nearly as high as the number of old people getting sick. This statement is basically saying of the young who do get sick many have no comorbidities not that many young people are getting sick overall. I think about 4 percent of people under 44 need to be hospitalized and less than 1 percent in ICU if the hospitalization data a few days/weeks ago was accurate. It basically said 20 percent of hospitalized patients were under 44 and 4 percent of patients in ICU were under 44.
Apparently the hospitalization is real ouchy though.

Mar 3, 2019
Whats the level of safety for food delivery? Food transmission has been shown to be pretty low, but the failure point is people, aka the container the food is in, if the person at the store washed their hands while preparing it, if the delivery driver has been practicing hygiene, etc. Does anyone feel unsafe about ordering food deliverey that way?

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017

Its becoming clear that Age isn't the key factor

It must be unique to your genetics and subsequently your immune response

Which means every individual that catches it may or may not handle it well.... much like a bee sting and whether you go into shock, have an allergic reaction or whatever

but obviously much worse

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
SoDak Numbers

Yesterdays report v Todays

V6ZfHCM.png

Looks like we found a thousand or so test kits overnight.

Substantial Community spread continues in 2 counties.

Coronavirus updates and information

South Dakota's The South Dakota Department of Health (SD-DOH) continues to monitor the emergence of the novel coronavirus. We are working with the CDC and our healthcare partners across the state to prepare for and respond to a potential case.

but our Governor is asking us to take a break and go for a walk while thinking about all the good things...

Noem is a fucking idiot.

My fiancee is in Spearfish and was freaking out about it being detected in Mead County and I had to calm her down.

I've got a feeling this thing is about to explode in South Dakota.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Whats the level of safety for food delivery? Food transmission has been shown to be pretty low, but the failure point is people, aka the container the food is in, if the person at the store washed their hands while preparing it, if the delivery driver has been practicing hygiene, etc. Does anyone feel unsafe about ordering food deliverey that way?
Prep new food container.
Dump food in.
Ditch the containers it came in.
Wash your hands thoroughly.
And don't touch your face during this.

irradiance

Oct 30, 2017

For all I know and hopefully today's situation is different, but we've had SARS outbreaks before and (no critical info here so feel free to skip)
"In the early stages of the SARS epidemic, health officials estimated the mortality rate at less than 4%. More recently, officials have cited rates in the 6% to 7% range. Today's SARS figures from the WHO—6,903 cumulative cases and 495 deaths—point to a case-fatality ratio of 7.2%. But WHO officials note that this calculation underestimates the rate, since some currently ill patients will die of the disease."

(...)

"May 7, 2003 (CIDRAP News) – The World Health Organization (WHO) today estimated the overall fatality rate for SARS (severe acute respiratory syndrome) patients at 14% to 15%, significantly higher than previous estimates. The agency estimated the rate for people older than 64 years to be more than 50%."

Last edited:

Grip

Oct 26, 2017
Just recently got back from trying to get tested but was unfortunately turned away after waiting an hour and a half at a drive-up testing site. Guess my symptoms aren't severe enough (no fever or cough) and the nurse I spoke with said that the length of time I've had my symptoms isn't suggestive of Corona (I started feeling unwell almost 3 weeks ago). She pretty much said that after two weeks I'd either be getting better or I'd be in the hospital. Still would have liked to get tested for peace of mind, but I understand that testing is limited and they want people who are showing more typical symptoms to take priority.