• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Worry levels currently at 178 %, sounds about right

nbk8iKP.jpg
Yup. People are highly suggestible.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
How long does this test take, my uncle got tested last night who lives here we still haven't heard back and after telling my supervisor I'm still working. So I'm very on edge until results show up

I'm essential goverment and I have no symptoms, if he tests positive I'll still need to be quarantined
Coworker has been waiting for 10 days in the Midwest and they don't have an eta when they will get a response. So hopefully your area has a better testing situation

edit: I should add this is a non-hospitalized case which does affect the timeline

Last edited:

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just need to vent. My boomer mother called me, she lives in rural area of Michigan. Apparently she has a a cough for days (different from her normal smoker's COPD cough). Today she woke up with body aches a mild temp 101. Asked her the last place she left home for. It was the doctors office where they had no precautions set up. Then she went to 4 different stores to shop inside for food and prescriptions. Internally panicking right now.
If she is 50 or older, she needs to call a dr immediately. Do not have her go to a walk-in.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
edited because of Xando 's better source, thank you!

There are MANY other good reasons why the death rate is lower in Germany than in other countries:
- Way younger median age of infected
- Better ICU capacity (more than Italy, Spain and France combined)
- More testing (Spahn said today that currently there are 300.000 - 500.000 tests weekly, on a population of 80 Million!)
- We probably are one of the countries that are "closest" to the real number of infected people.

These has been said so often in this thread it is getting tiresome, I don't know why some of you seem to "want" a higher death rate in Germany. There are so many logical reasons it is not that high.
Promoting Germany's current CFR is flat out false and misleading and incredibly dangerous. It's giving people a false sense of security and it will in actuality it will rise significantly. Now due to Germany's better handling of the situation it should be significantly lower than like Italy but you cannot promote a low CFR when people haven't even recovered yet. It can take weeks for people to die. Honestly I'm not for sure why we keep asking about it in this thread. There is zero evidence that suggests the CFR could be anymore remotely near Germany's current number.

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Promoting Germany's current CFR is flat out false and misleading and incredibly dangerous. It's giving people a false sense of security and it will in actuality it will rise significantly. Now due to Germany's better handling of the situation it should be significantly lower than like Italy but you cannot promote a low CFR when people haven't even recovered yet. It can take weeks for people to die. Honestly I'm not for sure why we keep asking about it in this thread. There is zero evidence that suggests the CFR could be anymore remotely near Germany's current number.
Who here is "promoting" it? It's just reported numbers and explanations why they might be lower than those of other countries. It's not promoting a low CFR, it's explaining it.
And no country takes people who may still die because they're sick into their death toll.

edit: even the RKI says a lot of it is pure luck, as we have relatively few old people infected

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
My hospital lab said it is taking around 7 days sometimes longer for non hospitalized patients. Patients admitted have a turn around of 1-2 days.

Yup, the person whose staying with me who was both directly exposed to multiple people confirmed to have Covid-19 and had light symptoms, was tested last Monday and received results yesterday Afternoon. Took 9 days. Fortunately it came back negative. But it almost seems useless if it's going to take that long?

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
The USA in roughly one week (March 19th through March 26th) has gained ~ 67 078 confirmed cases (it was at ~13.7K cases on the 19th) and ~957‬ deaths (it was at ~206 on the 19th). And the day still isn't done, the numbers will increase further.

Absolutely INSANE growth and it feels like this is just the tip of the iceberg, really.
To be honest, a lot of that growth can be attributed to discovering already latent cases that were not taken seriously until this week, which also makes it scary to know just how much is the US in danger and how fast it can get worse as some of the preventive measurements arent being done due to political reasons.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely INSANE growth and it feels like this is just the tip of the iceberg, really.
because it is... a lot of the places that are gaining cases still aren't properly shut down.
Some of the gain is from extra tests, but places like Florida, Louisiana and Georgia haven't been taking it seriously even though their cases are rapidly going up.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The USA in roughly one week (March 19th through March 26th) has gained ~ 67 078 confirmed cases (it was at ~13.7K cases on the 19th) and ~957‬ deaths (it was at ~206 on the 19th). And the day still isn't done, the numbers will increase further.

Source: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
This time next month its gonna be like 100K+ a day just in the US isnt it

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
To be honest, a lot of that growth can be attributed to discovering already latent cases that were not taken seriously until this week, which also makes it scary to know just how much is the US in danger and how fast it can get worse as some of the preventive measurements arent being done due to political reasons.
Thing is, while I have been paying too much attention, it feels like US still hasn't entered a proper lockdown overall, has it? By this I mean, there are states which are working regularly (for the most part), correct? That's a recipe for disaster if it's indeed the case.

because it is... a lot of the places that are gaining cases still aren't properly shut down.
Some of the gain is from extra tests, but places like Florida, Louisiana and Georgia haven't been taking it seriously even though their cases are rapidly going up.

Precisely.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
Who here is "promoting" it? It's just reported numbers and explanations why they might be lower than those of other countries. It's not promoting a low CFR, it's explaining it.
And no country takes people who may still die because they're sick into their death toll.
Literally every day people are asking why the CFR is so low and the real answer is that it's an illusion and people haven't had time to die. While Germany is taking great measures which I'm sure will help in the long run it's pretty much irrelevant to talk about it at this point

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017

Source: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
Too early to say. We need another week of real testing to have any sort of grip on things.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Some stats on the people who are in the hospital in the Netherlands

Average age of people who are hospitalized is between 75 and 79
Most people who died were between 80 and 84
Nobody under 50 has died atm
3/4 of the patients are above 50
40% of the people are above 75
1 out of 10 is younger then 50
60% who are hospitalized or died is male
55% of the people already have 1 or more underlying sickness
28% hearth related, 16% lung related, 12% diabetic

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Literally every day people are asking why the CFR is so low and the real answer is that it's an illusion and people haven't had time to die. While Germany is taking great measures which I'm sure will help in the long run it's pretty much irrelevant to talk about it at this point

No, it is not an illusion. You can say the same thing about other countries. Those people are not dead yet.
That is in fact the current CFR. It is not the final CFR, since you can only have that after everyone is either cured or dead. But it is, by definition, the CFR. So it is not at all irrelevant.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Too early to say. We need another week of real testing to have any sort of grip on things.
If certain states aren't taking proper measures it can be weeks/months until things calm down. Europe has been on lockdown for a while now (well, some countries not all of course) and cases are still rising overall (as well as deaths). The actions we do today will have an impact two to three weeks from now.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Thing is, while I have been paying too much attention, it feels like US still hasn't entered a proper lockdown overall, has it? By this I mean, there are states which are working regularly (for the most part), correct? That's a recipe for disaster if it's indeed the case.
Some states are implementing measures to keep it contained, but not nearly as strict as is needed. Many other states are simply in denial and are doing pretty much nothing to contain it. Then there's the fact that freedom of movement is unencumbered, so interstate travel continues. There is simply no way to properly lock-down the US without going into a constitutional crisis, or at least having the public perception of it being a constitutional crisis.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
No, it is not an illusion. You can say the same thing about other countries. Those people are not dead yet.
That is in fact the current CFR. It is not the final CFR, since you can only have that after everyone is either cured or dead. But it is, by definition, the CFR. So it is not at all irrelevant.
You pretty much proved my point that pushing misleading information is in fact misleading.

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
You pretty much proved my point that pushing misleading information is in fact misleading.
Facts are not misleading information. I'm doing my PhD in immunology (mainly focussed on pDCs, key players in antiviral defense) and we work with these data points all the time. They are not irrelevant or misleading.
It's not like Germany had its first case one week ago.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
First it was 100deaths a day... then yesterday it was 200 in a day... now it's already at 161 already in the afternoon.

Also what's this about Florida not testing as much as they need to be?

Florida has all the old people, it could definitely be Italy by itself. 😕