• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
yup. Once May hits all that shit goes out the window. People aren't going to stay locked up in their houses especially areas coming out of winter once 70s hit consistently.

You can complain about people all you want, being holed up in your house for 6 weeks as spring hits is going to just push everyone to the places still open. Parks and outdoor spaces.
My sense is that the biggest issue is people who don't just go outside for a socially distanced walk, but rather those that congregate together for things like Easter or just hanging out with friends they haven't seen in a while. It boggles my mind how you could see what's happening in other countries or states and still decide to gather.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of traffic gets funneled into a street a couple of blocks from here. Two weeks ago it was completely dead out there but it's steadily increasing every day. It's currently as busy as ever. I've got the windows open and can hear normal traffic noise and I see quite a few cars. Commuting hours are nowhere near normal for a weekday, but it's steady and normal throughout the day at other times. People are terrible at staying home.

You can actually see which area has a stricter lockdown based on the traffic. This FT chart is interesting:

EUoNnoVWkAIQZOC

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
My sense is that the biggest issue is people who don't just go outside for a socially distanced walk, but rather those that congregate together for things like Easter or just hanging out with friends they haven't seen in a while. It boggles my mind how you could see what's happening in other countries or states and still decide to gather.

When everyone goes to the park on a warm spring day it's basically a block party.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
twitter.com

BNO Newsroom on Twitter

“New York City is now advising residents to cover their nose and mouth with a scarf, bandana, or a piece of clothing while out in public to limit the spread of coronavirus”

It's almost like it's a proven fact that masks work, and everyone should have been wearing them in public for weeks now. If only there were several countries that set the example and have been proving that masks work for months...

Well, better late than never.
The idiots that kept repeating mask dont work and says it like a proven fact annoyed me to no end for the past month.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The idiots that kept repeating mask dont work and says it like a proven fact annoyed me to no end for the past month.
I have seen far more people say that there are idiots claiming masks don't work than I have seen people actually making this claim.

What I have seen is people nuancing why masks help and how N95s aren't filtering if you don't seal them properly.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
twitter.com

BNO Newsroom on Twitter

“New York City is now advising residents to cover their nose and mouth with a scarf, bandana, or a piece of clothing while out in public to limit the spread of coronavirus”

It's almost like it's a proven fact that masks work, and everyone should have been wearing them in public for weeks now. If only there were several countries that set the example and have been proving that masks work for months...

Even on here you had people arguing against masks because they don't work 100% of the time.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I have seen far more people say that there are idiots claiming masks don't work than I have seen people actually making this claim.

What I have seen is people nuancing why masks help and how N95s aren't filtering if you don't seal them properly.
Where can one get an N95 mask these days? Seriously, hospitals are having a hard time finding any and I don't even know what stores specialize in them. I always assumed they were distribution goods that you bought in bulk than something off the shelf.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
Except they literally do exactly that. IMO what you're talking about only works if states are enacting severe travel restrictions like some countries are. If people can still cross borders it's only a matter of time until the virus breaks out again.

Even right now in places like Italy you still see stories of people travelling into and out of some of the worst affected areas. If your plan relies on people not being stupid and doing the right thing it's a bad one.

I'm way late in seeing this. But likewise, if you think people are going to just stay in their house alone for 8 months, your plan is worse than mine.

Italy is getting crushed and people are already freaking out being stuck inside, it's not a realistic plan to have people lock themselves away for a year. What's the middle ground? I don't know how to handle it properly besides trying to control it best you can once you get this initial outbreak under control. If that means having rolling quarantines, outside only gathering's even still limiting to x people, etc I have no idea, but you aren't going to keep the doors locked for a year.

ZW33

Oct 25, 2017
Where can one get an N95 mask these days? Seriously, hospitals are having a hard time finding any and I don't even know what stores specialize in them. I always assumed they were distribution goods that you bought in bulk than something off the shelf.

These days, you can't get one directly from anywhere. Normally you could buy them at any hardware or home improvement store, or numerous places online in bulk. But they've been sold out for months, and all new supply is being diverted to doctors and nurses.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017

honestly, the ones you used to be able to get at home improvement stores are only good if you can get a tight sealed fit. If you put one on and their are gaps around your chin and cheeks it's not much better than a normal surgical mask that gives you the fit.

The ones in hospitals are made for that fit, andi assume you can get those from a medical supply shop (before this happened).

I had half a box of n95 masks in my garage from when I was pulling down insulation that had mold on it. I gave them to my neighbor who is a nurse and was given nothing at work anymore

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I bought some from Home Depot and Ace Hardware back in Jan. when the news was first hitting. I didn't think it's be what it is today (I've since donated them to my wife, who is a medical professional).

I have a P100 mask because of all the metal and wood work I used to do. Before this all happens they weren't that hard to find.

Studge

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt you can anymore, Amazon just stopped selling them to the public and hardware stores are probably sold out.

I found an N95 mask in my garage that I used when I painted my house a few years ago. I'm not really looking forward to going shopping with it since it's the kind with a full nose/mouth seal and two big filters on the sides and will be very attention grabbing. I'd probably wear safety goggles too just to be safe which would draw even more attention. Last time I was out to the grocery store people were keeping their distance but no one was wearing any real PPE.

MrJames

Oct 25, 2017
The Florida AM numbers were pretty low. PM numbers are huge. Over 9,000 cases now.

Cases: 9,008 (+1,235)
Dead: 144 (+43)

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Before the current situation you would regulatory buy them in hardware stores, Auto part stores, hobby stores and just about anywhere where you could also buy stuff that recommended proper ventilation or protection on the label.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
twitter.com

BNO Newsroom on Twitter

I see you NYC, and raise you Laredo f'n Texas

abc13.com

$1,000 fine to residents caught without a mask in Laredo, Texas

Residents older than 5 years old are required to wear a mask in public to help stop the spread of COVID-19.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Seems silly that we're about to be told to wear masks in public in a culture where it's not something most people keep on hand and it's too late to get them now.

Grip

Oct 26, 2017
I had several N95's at work that I grabbed before our building finally closed down. Tried asking some of the guys I work with if they wanted a couple on our last day and they all kinda laughed and didn't even entertain the idea of taking one.

ZW33

Oct 25, 2017
I see you NYC, and raise you Laredo f'n Texas

abc13.com

$1,000 fine to residents caught without a mask in Laredo, Texas

Residents older than 5 years old are required to wear a mask in public to help stop the spread of COVID-19.

Good. They should be mandatory everywhere, as long as everyone is provided them, or is given the opportunity to purchase some sort of mask. Which wouldn't be an issue if our moron president would just use the defense production act to mandate companies to start producing them.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Washington 6000+ cases now and 271 deaths.

Also governor address at 5pm, that's prime time news hour. Last time he had a PC at 5pm, they announced the lock down.

My guess:

Schools done for the year
Lockdown till May.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I'm way late in seeing this. But likewise, if you think people are going to just stay in their house alone for 8 months, your plan is worse than mine.

Italy is getting crushed and people are already freaking out being stuck inside, it's not a realistic plan to have people lock themselves away for a year. What's the middle ground? I don't know how to handle it properly besides trying to control it best you can once you get this initial outbreak under control. If that means having rolling quarantines, outside only gathering's even still limiting to x people, etc I have no idea, but you aren't going to keep the doors locked for a year.

That's not what I was suggesting and I'm not sure how that's even relevant. I was talking about the difficulty of opening up certain states in the US and how that might be problematic unless you essentially shut down borders or heavily restrict domestic travel.

You're right that you can't keep people sitting indoors for 8 months but that's not the plan anywhere in the world.

Oct 27, 2017
As the counts get more accurate, daily counts are now including confirmed cases and deaths that may have happened prior to the day they are counted.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I doubt you can anymore, Amazon just stopped selling them to the public and hardware stores are probably sold out.

I found an N95 mask in my garage that I used when I painted my house a few years ago. I'm not really looking forward to going shopping with it since it's the kind with a full nose/mouth seal and two big filters on the sides and will be very attention grabbing. I'd probably wear safety goggles too just to be safe which would draw even more attention. Last time I was out to the grocery store people were keeping their distance but no one was wearing any real PPE.
Sounds like what I've been using. If so yours is probably P100.
2122230-7100156931-SF1.jpg

I had three of them already that I kept in the three spots where I normally use them most.
I haven't gotten a whole lot of attention, though one store employee wearing a mask did say "Now that's a fucking mask.".

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
The numbers in Illinois seem fairly promising. New cases has largely flatlined since last Thursday. Could be an aberration, but Illinois was at the same level as Michigan and Louisiana a week ago and now are thousands of cases behind.
Dumbasses keep taking inches, and Pritzker and Lightfoot respond by taking miles. I'm very happy with the leadership in IL during this time.

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
twitter.com

BNO Newsroom on Twitter

Damn near all the advice that some were calling fear mongering if not ridiculing a few weeks back is now being advocated. Stop going to the stores if you don't have to, stop traveling to other countries, buy food to last you a few weeks, wear a mask. Wearing a face mask made all the sense in the world, at least more sense than the advice to only wear a mask if you already have the virus. Most with it don't even show symptoms and or don't know they have it until weeks later meanwhile they were most likely spreading it. The narrative started to change that health workers needed it more and I got that, but early on it was just an outright dismissal if not ridicule of the thought a mask should be considered.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
That's not what I was suggesting and I'm not sure how that's even relevant. I was talking about the difficulty of opening up certain states in the US and how that might be problematic unless you essentially shut down borders or heavily restrict domestic travel.

You're right that you can't keep people sitting indoors for 8 months but that's not the plan anywhere in the world.

depends who posts in this thread :)

I agree that you can't prevent everyone, but you can't really patrol every road so besides watching hotels and tourist spots and loudly announcing that any out of state visitors must self quarantine (you won't catch everyone but you can patrol and make it known it's not an empty threat) you'll stop a decent chunk of it... besides that places that are close to each other are on the same track anyway. For example NJ and NY are pretty tied together, and most likely won't be opening at different times. It'll keep the quick drives over the border done.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well our home consists of 2 elderly (60s), an asthmatic (me) and someone who's immuno suppressed after having a kidney transplant when they were younger. At least we all quarantined ahead of the country recommendations (UK, we quarantined roughly 2-3 weeks ago depending on family member) but it's going to be a worrying time to get through.

Studge

Oct 25, 2017

I had three of them already that I kept in the three spots where I normally use them most.
I haven't gotten a whole lot of attention, though one store employee wearing a mask did say "Now that's a fucking mask.".
Yeah, that's what I have but the filters say N95 on them. This makes me feel better about going out with it if I have to, thanks.

Mercurial

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I had one of these and some spare cartridges from a paint project that we ultimately decided not to do. The commentary you get from people is a pleasure. I didn't start wearing mine into places until about a month ago; I got a lot of weird looks then. Not so much now though.

The first time I wore mine was to a doctor's office in a hospital. It legitimately took me about 15 minutes to build up the nerve to do it because of the sheer social awkwardness of having it on. Before the doctor even introduced himself, he leaned from side to side to observe the seal and then complimented me for wearing it correctly and gave me tips on how to store the cartridges to maximize their functional life.

Yeah, that's what I have but the filters say N95 on them. This makes me feel better about going out with it if I have to, thanks.

These types of masks fit a variety of cartridges since they're used for all sorts of applications. They're good to have.