• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Naru

May 11, 2019
yes, they have more infection from incoming travellers than local transmission now, but look at what they did, can other countries follow them?
Sure their drastic measures will have a different impact than what we did in the west but they just had 1 new case in Wuhan. I mean come on... I don't believe that for a second. The region has over 10 million people. Is everyone still in their homes there? Because their traffic is still almost zero.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man thank god I got my taxes done last week with my refund scheduled to hit this week. Sources of income are lookin really scarce for me right now. While I would have much rather have saved the refund (it's not a ton), it will get me through the next few weeks even if I can't find reliable income.

I mentioned a few days ago I'm concerned about potential crime upticks, and shit is really setting in now. I'm in Georgia which doesn't even have it the worst right now, and so much shit is already closing which is gonna leave so many people of out work. If the government doesn't get some sort of package out to people soon, and especially if this goes on potentially to late summer months, people are going to start getting into a real bad place especially in areas in the lower income range (which is where I'm at) and more desperate acts may occur.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
People are trying to pass before others in the queue for the supermarket, refusing to organise themselves and trying to get a pass because "I only need one thing"

French people are so desperately dumb

Sep 14, 2019
Is there a possibility that LAX may close anytime soon?

Probably the only thing that will get my sister to postpone her trip.

And, I worry that if she does take her trip, she won't be able to travel back home if they close the airport (or limit it to certain people).

French people are so desperately dumb

Us Americans aren't so great either 😅

Naru

May 11, 2019
Can anyone explain to me what's going on in Germany? Is the "soft lockdown" already in effect? Do they limit how many people can enter a supermarket?

Edit: just had someone tell me it's not implemented yet in most states here.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
Is there a possibility that LAX may close anytime soon?

Probably the only thing that will get my sister to postpone her trip.

And, I worry that if she does take her trip, she won't be able to travel back home if they close the airport (or limit it to certain people).
It's possible, but closing down air travel would be an extremely complicated endeavor. Just try to imagine how many people are not in their home state at any given point—likely tens of millions of people.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Italian's, well you don't want to shake hands with them.

Of course i don't think their(our? i lived in Italy most of my life) woes depend only on this.

4111.jpeg
Damn. Europe, I am disappointed.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Another question, and I may come off as dumb, but can coronavirus penetrate doors and slip under cracks. Go ahead. Call me stupid, but also dispense some helpful info if you can. Thanks.

It's not airborne and doesn't float around like crazy. When sneezed out, it will persists in small "droplets" in the air, but they will float down. Now you may ask: But what if there is a lot of wind?
As with nearly everything, concentrations play significant factors. On the outside and during windy days those infected droplets will certainly take longer before landing on something, but the virus "density" will immediately start to deteriorate and become irrelevant and not a problem.
One of the reasons why regularly ventilating homes is recommended currently and why going out isn't dangerous. Just keep clever, do not shake hands, keep your distance.

So no, it will not invade you through door cracks.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018

plow

Oct 28, 2017
interesting Info for anyone who fears touching things rn:

www.focus.de

Medizin-Professor über Hysterie: Potential sich über Oberflächen anzustecken, ist gering

Wie groß ist die Gefahr, sich über den Haltegriff in der U-Bahn, Türklinken, am Einkaufswagen oder über Geld mit dem neuartigen Coronavirus anzustecken? FOCUS Online fragte einen Experten, der zum Infektionsrisiko von Coronaviren forscht. Wovor er warnt und was übertrieben ist.

Very Interesting information by Christian Dorsten ( Highest german Virologist ) and another Medical professor:

When talking about viruses on surfaces, the interesting part is not how long they survive, but how many they are

By the Time the viruses get from a hand of an infected person, to a surface, and then to your hand, it is highly unlikely that you get infected. It's something else, when someone sneezes or coughs directly onto something, but even there it is dependant on your immun-system.

The best way to defend yourself is social distancing: No talking and no coughing. It's not the seat in the Metro that's dangerous, but the dude near you coughing.

Also interesting tidbit:

While cold temperature seem to bonus the Virus, High and dry temperatures are harmful for it

This could be an indication, that it could get better in the summer.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Our company (in Italy) is trying hard to stay open, but it's becoming virtually impossible as suppliers and clients are closing, borders are being closed and some shipments can't even be done in terms of transportation. Very possible we aren't finishing this week. And since I totally expect the April 3 date for the lockdown to be extended, it might be a lengthy stop for sure.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's not airborne and doesn't float around like crazy. When sneezed out, it will persists in small "droplets" in the air, but they will float down. Now you may ask: But what if there is a lot of wind?
As with nearly everything, concentrations play significant factors. On the outside and during windy days those infected droplets will certainly take longer before landing on something, but the virus "density" will immediately start to deteriorate and become irrelevant and not a problem.
One of the reasons why regularly ventilating homes is recommended currently and why going out isn't dangerous. Just keep clever, do not shake hands, keep your distance.

So no, it will not invade you through door cracks.

Thank you. I live in a studio apartment and my bed is literally 10 feet from the door leading to my hallway. Right now i CAN feel the breeze blowing on my feet. I'm actually entertaining the idea of sleeping in the bathroom, which is cramped. Would stuffing plastic under the cracks do any good. My god, I really sound like a jackass who believes that ducking under the desk is going to protect me from a nuclear blast.''

Also, there is my bedroom, and then my bathroom and that is it. I don't even have a bathtub but a shower. So everything, my bed, large tv, refridgerator and food are all in my studio. Oo I start taking all my food into the bathroom to wait this out? And now I sound like a fool again. Desperation at work, folks.

Again, call me stupid if you want, because I'm feeling really ignorant now to the point that I'm asking for life saving advice on a videogame forum.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
whats considered dry, the south where most of the cases are is alot dryer than the north and there has been alot of drought recently which is why there was such a big fire season

not talking rainfall, but humidity levels

for instance, in Phoenix, AZ our humidity level is around 25-35% in the summer, which is considerably lower than a place like Florida at .. up to 90%. Looks like Sydney is 66% right now.

Vault Boy

Nov 2, 2017
How is everyone feeling about getting food via drive-through at this point? I know it's a risk because of the food/containers being touched by others, and I have stocked a decent amount of food, but not enough for weeks on end. I was thinking about doing fast food for now until things get worse in a week or two (I'm in the U.S.).

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you. I live in a studio apartment and my bed is literally 10 feet from the door leading to my hallway. Right now i CAN feel the breeze blowing on my feet. I'm actually entertaining the idea of sleeping in the bathroom, which is cramped. Would stuffing plastic under the cracks do any good. My god, I really sound like a jackass who believes that ducking under the desk is going to protect me from a nuclear blast.''

Also, there is my bedroom, and then my bathroom and that is it. I don't even have a bathtub but a shower. So everything, my bed, large tv, refridgerator and food are all in my studio. Oo I start taking all my food into the bathroom to wait this out? And now I sound like a fool again. Desperation at work, folks.

Again, call me stupid if you want, because I'm feeling really ignorant now to the point that I'm asking for life saving advice on a videogame forum.

I'll repeat myself. The virus is not airborne. There is no need to stuff plastic under the crack, ventilation is even better than no ventilation. No need to keep the windows 24h/day open though. Good 10-15minutes a day is enough.
Please re-read my previous post.

It's not the air that is infectious, it's small droplets that will quickly float down. They can not come through your door crack.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
How is everyone feeling about getting food via drive-through at this point? I know it's a risk because of the food/containers being touched by others, and I have stocked a decent amount of food, but not enough for weeks on end. I was thinking about doing fast food for now until things get worse in a week or two (I'm in the U.S.).
I would trust Chic Fil A and Chipotle... would I trust Burger King and Popeyes? Hell no.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

drive through is relatively safe because it limits the point of interaction to just a couple people

the best thing to do though would be either freeze or refrigerate meals prepared meals (if you don't like to cook), and then reheat in a different container. reheating would kill any possible virus.

Gabe

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Italian's, well you don't want to shake hands with them.

Of course i don't think their(our? i lived in Italy most of my life) woes depend only on this.

4111.jpeg

Ehm...we have bidets. We don't wash our hands because a better question would be "who washes their dicks and asses after going to the toilet?" -_-

Cvie

Oct 25, 2017
yes i was asking what is considered dry as far as humidity is concerned, also from a quick look most of the eastern half of the US averages over 55% in july
not talking rainfall, but humidity levels

for instance, in Phoenix, AZ our humidity level is around 25-35% in the summer, which is considerably lower than a place like Florida at .. up to 90%. Looks like Sydney is 66% right now.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
yes, they have more infection from incoming travellers than local transmission now, but look at what they did, can other countries follow them?

Not completely~
But that isn't the only option, you also have Hong Kong and S.Korea for other strategy

S.Korea with it's mass number of testing and containment seems to be working, and other country can definetly do, if they allow mass testing and tracing and containing.

-Devious-

Oct 25, 2017
I was told to go home today after I explained that I was sick over the weekend. Today I feel much better but upon telling this to my supervisor I was taken to the boss and told to go home. I talked to my doctor in the morning and explained I didn't have a fever, just a cough, runny nose, and fatigue over the weekend, ( I had to walk in the rain ) she was cool about it. Wasnt told to not go to work or anything. I'm just going to take the L here and take the rest of the week off even though I feel much better/recovered. I wasn't going to say anything but I can't in good conscience stay silent and risk it.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Ehm...we have bidets we don't wash our hands because a better question would be "who washes their dicks and asses after going to the toilet?" -_-
That's fine, but bidets are used at home. People need to wash their damn hands in public spaces. Despite that 85% in Portugal I still see a lot of dudes just walking out of public bathrooms without doing it >.>

mieumieu

Oct 25, 2017
The Farplane
Sure their drastic measures will have a different impact than what we did in the west but they just had 1 new case in Wuhan. I mean come on... I don't believe that for a second. The region has over 10 million people. Is everyone still in their homes there? Because their traffic is still almost zero.
People are still in their homes in Wuhan, yes. The lockdown went way overboard initially and caused some collateral damage like people not getting dialysis or chemo. Fortunately that problem is being solved as well. All field hospitals for mild cases are shut down.

I don't believe the number 1 either but I do believe really getting there it's not far away.

Meanwhile in other provinces in China it's pretty much under control now. Restaurants are open again and public transportations too. But the damage to economy, especially to small businesses, is quite visible.

Oct 27, 2017

Not even gonna chance it myself. Ur still dealing with people who take cards and cash from other people all day long,delievry drivers ect. Great way for me to focus on my dieting. Been eating all homecooked meals for the last 2.5 weeks.

jolenar

Apr 2, 2019
High schools and Universities recommended to close and move to digital education starting tomorrow in Sweden.

Primary school will still be open as normal however the government is working on a law to enable child care for parents that works in health care e.g.
So most likely primary schools will close in the near future.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): Trolling in a sensitive thread over multiple posts
Should I sleep in my bathroom or in the closet? And what are the recovery rates so far? I'm reading Dailykos and Democraticunderground and I'm seriously contemplating suicide on my own terms if this winds up being Spanish Flu 2.0. I have a firearm for defense purposes only, but at least I can go quickly and painlessly once I've exhausted all other options. My great grandfather succumbed to Spanish Flu in 1918.

If hospitals are turning people away now, how can i EXPEct treatment if things go dire?

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I feel fine, just occasionally a dry cough. No fever or fatigue or anything
So an annoyance then. Great news. My spirits are buoyed somewhat. Thank you. And it must be annoying having dipshits like me asking you this every 5 minutes, so thank you very much.

I'm hoping that Tom Hanks or any other high profile personality can make a recovery, and soon. We definitely could use a morale booster right now, but if this ends up killing either him or his wife people are going to fall into a deep pit of despair.

-Devious-

Oct 25, 2017
Should I sleep in my bathroom or in the closet? And what are the recovery rates so far? I'm reading Dailykos and Democraticunderground and I'm seriously contemplating suicide on my own terms if this winds up being Spanish Flu 2.0. I have a firearm for defense purposes only, but at least I can go quickly and painlessly once I've exhausted all other options. My great grandfather succumbed to Spanish Flu in 1918.

If hospitals are turning people away now, how can i EXPEct treatment if things go dire?
Don't talk like that. You and I don't know what the future hold for us, all we can do is hope for the best.

May 24, 2019
So an annoyance then. Great news. My spirits are buoyed somewhat. Thank you. And it must be annoying having dipshits like me asking you this every 5 minutes, so thank you very much.

I'm hoping that Tom Hanks or any other high profile personality can make a recovery, and soon. We definitely could use a morale booster right now, but if this ends up killing either him or his wife people are going to fall into a deep pit of despair.

Thousands of people have recovered. You don't need to wait for a celebrity to do so.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I can imagine we will see a surge of "Do-Over" fiction (commercial and amateur) in the near future.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

I'm hoping that Tom Hanks or any other high profile personality can make a recovery, and soon.
I feel fine, just occasionally a dry cough. No fever or fatigue or anything

How old are you if you don't mind me asking? I'm 45. I have kind of a potbelly, but I'm a regular bicyclist. I also eat a very routine, repetitive diet that includes 2 bagel sandwiches with turkey breast and spinach. Pretzels or chips depending on the day of the week. 2 Fruits banana and apple over the day. 2 to 3 carrots for fibre. A cup of low fat yogurt. Wash, rinse, repeat. Day in day out. Except for on Sundays, where I order chinese. i'M Autistic. so routine is no issue for me, same with leaving my room. I could live here for a full year without leaving it no problem, as long as I have internet connection and electricity. I don't have diabetes or have smoked in my life. Ever. Never drank beer, but I do have an affinity for Tropicana Fruit Punch. That's always been my weakness, and I hope that it isn't to my detriment in the coming days and weeks.

Last edited: