• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Is the US even remotely close to suppression state like the Imperial College report suggests?
He'll no we aren't. People were packing the beaches in Florida just today acting like nothing is happening. The governor of Oklahoma sent a tweet out this weekend saying how packed the bars were. This is all contingent on states implementing their own plans right now. Though it does sound like the federal government is finally getting its ass in gear. Even some of the republican states are being very proactive at implementing distancing policies (Ohio probably is the best in the nation right now considering they have lower case loads).

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
So he is basically saying this is the end of America?
No. Basically it's saying that if we just go our com usual course we will develop herd immunity but at the expenses of 2-4 million people dead. That doesn't include the millions that also will die from other issues but have no ICU space.

Last edited:
May 21, 2018
The great depression and the two world wars were the great challenge of their generation.

It looks like the coronavirus (and the economic devastation that will cause) is going to be ours.

And climate change will probably be our children's or grandchildren's.

Mathmarauder

Nov 14, 2017
1 day after rolling it out, drive through testing has ended in Minnesota. It overtaxed the state health labs ability to do the tests and now the directive is only test patients with critical symptoms.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
The great depression and the two world wars were the great challenge of their generation.

It looks like the coronavirus is going to be ours.

And climate change will probably be our children's or grandchildren's.

Like others are saying, the one bright spot is that we have no choice but to change once this is over. I at least feel we will be more forward thinking about the next preventable disaster coming out of this.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 week): Ignoring staff post with regard to fearmongering
Like others are saying, the one bright spot is that we have no choice but to change once this is over. I at least feel we will be more forward thinking about the next preventable disaster coming out of this.
Can we make it through this? With the way society is....a new depression could be the end with all the crazies, everyone loading up on guns, etc.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure many of you have already seen it, but there's an Aussie team called The Juice Media who does satirical Government ads/announcements about various things. They've done one on the coronavirus pandemic, regularly referencing the American response, and it's fucking great.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
1 day after rolling it out, drive through testing has ended in Minnesota. It overtaxed the state health labs ability to do the tests and now the directive is only test patients with critical symptoms.

Did they just not set a limit for those coming to the drive through? I know the UW Medicine one in Seattle limits it to 50 a day, which is next to nothing but still probably in line with what they know they can handle.

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully the new directive that states can implement their own testing will help lessen the burden. I work for DOH in Washington and know that public health labs are very small compared to what people might think. I haven't done research as to what the current test is, but it looks like RT-PCR, so there is some turn around time and machine constraints. Can't imagine most labs have dozens of machines to do these tests at a higher throughput. Universities will probably have to Pick up the slack until a rapid diagnostic can be developed (that will take a bit more time).

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Is there anything indicating this? I live in a state where this is a thing in the summer. I didn't think climate mattered with this virus.
More recent studies are saying the virus survives well in moist, humid air, thus making it airborne (in a away) versus strict droplet transmission. So think of it hanging out in water vapor for upwards of 3 hours rather than being confined to just sneezes or secretions. Still too early to tell because the epidemiological data isn't even available.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Is there anything indicating this? I live in a state where this is a thing in the summer. I didn't think climate mattered with this virus.

www.focus.de

Medizin-Professor über Hysterie: Potential sich über Oberflächen anzustecken, ist gering

Wie groß ist die Gefahr, sich über den Haltegriff in der U-Bahn, Türklinken, am Einkaufswagen oder über Geld mit dem neuartigen Coronavirus anzustecken? FOCUS Online fragte einen Experten, der zum Infektionsrisiko von Coronaviren forscht. Wovor er warnt und was übertrieben ist.

Some translation here
www.resetera.com

Novel coronavirus (COVID-19) resources and discussion thread (Discussion guidelines in OP) COVID - OT

interesting Info for anyone who fears touching things rn: https://www.focus.de/gesundheit/ratgeber/erkaeltung/medizin-professor-ueber-hysterie-potential-sich-ueber-oberflaechen-anzustecken-ist-gering_id_11756282.html Very Interesting information by Christian Dorsten ( Highest german Virologist...

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Will be it worth it if it's the next depression? I'm like having waking nightmares at this point.
All countries can avoid a depression if we work together and support the most vulnerable.

Of course, as a species we often fail to do that. But we can do it.

We can't negotiate with microbes. We must save as many lives as we can, and work the rest out as we go along.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just found out that two of my idiot family members were so upset their cruise scheduled for this week got canceled that they took a weekend trip from Missouri to Puerto Rico this past weekend. :/

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Also some sort of UBI, and finding work for people will go a long way for mental health and the economy. We will need creative solutions and I reckon people will be willing to try to things to better everyone as a whole. It's not dangerous to work right now if we take precautions and find new solutions.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The great depression 2 could very well cost way more when you factor in the thousands of guns out there.
Like I said, it's really going to depend on how our government handles the economic situation (UBI is pretty much a requirement, I'm now convinced a single lump sum payment to US adults won't be close to enough). You're right it could get really, really bad.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
Also some sort of UBI, and finding work for people will go a long way for mental health and the economy. We will need creative solutions and I reckon people will be willing to try to things to better everyone as a whole. It's not dangerous to work right now if we take precautions and find new solutions.
I mean why do I have a sneaking suspicion amazon is going to get fast tracked approval on their drone delivery experiments.

MoosetheMark

May 3, 2019
My parents actually went to a funeral yesterday. They're not Trumpers in denial, they're just not that worried. I couldn't imagine a worse environment in this crisis, all those old people in a church, hugging and crying. I was livid when I found out.

I called and kind of chewed her out. Maybe it's because I live in NYC and they don't, so it's so much more of a presence in my life, but I stresses in no uncertain terms they could die if they don't take this seriously.

I was trying to scare them into the reality of this situation, but I'm worried I did the wrong thing and hurt my parents. I've talked to them about it before, but I was pretty blunt and raw today.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
My parents actually went to a funeral yesterday. They're not Trumpers in denial, they're just not that worried. I couldn't imagine a worse environment in this crisis, all those old people in a church, hugging and crying. I was livid when I found out.

I called and kind of chewed her out. Maybe it's because I live in NYC and they don't, so it's so much more of a presence in my life, but I stresses in no uncertain terms they could die if they don't take this seriously.

I was trying to scare them into the reality of this situation, but I'm worried I did the wrong thing and hurt my parents. I've talked to them about it before, but I was pretty blunt and raw today.
You hurt their feelings, no doubt, but that was a "cruel to be kind" kinda thing. They have to take it seriously. You understand it and they, for now, don't.

You did the right thing.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
If the estimate of 12-18 month time-frame of rolling lockdowns and tech control measures proves accurate (I think it underestimates their efficacy, but the rest of the world needs to get on the level of China, South Korea, and Vietnam), then there is no other way around it: we're going to go to war with this disease for years and governments will have little choice but to spend deeply and deliver food, medicine, and money directly into the hands of regular folks to make it happen. Gods willing, it'll shake a lot of people out of the stupors of capitalism and save millions of lives.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017

I'm assuming if they attended the funeral they likely knew the person and were likely already going through a hard time. Telling them off for that comes off as incredibly callous and distasteful.

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
No. Basically it's saying that if we just go our com usual course we will develop herd immunity but at the expenses of 2-4 million people infected. That doesn't include the millions that also will die from other issues but have no ICU space.

You mean 2-4 million dead rather than infected, correct?

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
This is going to be difficult to share with our loved ones. I think we're just slightly ahead of the curve when it comes to learning about the upcoming events with all the information gathered from every corner on the internet. Today we learned this won't takes weeks, but probably months. Potentially over a year, but then again, there's an on going race to find the best treatment before we get to a vaccine, so there's still hope, and maybe we will eventually get to the point where drugs will help to make the symptoms milder and less deadly, potentially saving hundreds of thousands of lives.

If the estimate of 12-18 month time-frame of rolling lockdowns and tech control measures proves accurate (I think it underestimates their efficacy, but the rest of the world needs to get on the level of China, South Korea, and Vietnam), then there is no other way around it: we're going to go to war with this disease for years and governments will have little choice but to spend deeply and deliver food, medicine, and money directly into the hands of regular folks to make it happen. Gods willing, it'll shake a lot of people out of the stupors of capitalism and save millions of lives.

Yes. The world is at war right now. France was the first country to openly use those words and I'm starting to realize how big this will actually be for everyone.

MoosetheMark

May 3, 2019
I'm assuming if they attended the funeral they likely knew the person and were likely already going through a hard time. Telling them off for that comes off as incredibly callous and distasteful.
Nah, they weren't close at all, it was a friend's father. Believe me if it was someone dear to us I would have been a lot more sympathetic. This was a case where they could have sent a card.

Frankly the funeral had no business going in in the first place. It's disastrously irresponsible.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Gun sales are on the rise in the US. The only constant every time basically any social "shakeup" happens there:
www.theguardian.com

US sales of guns and ammunition soar amid coronavirus panic buying

Long lines and ‘massive rush’ reported at gun stores across America: ‘People feel the need to protect themselves and their families’
This is fucking bad. If this literally goes on to late in this year at least, these wack jobs are going to riot out.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. The world is at war right now. France was the first country to openly use those words and I'm starting to realize how big this will actually be for everyone.
It could be our century epidemic. All notions of STONKS, short term gains, polls, and the market have to go out of the window. We fight to win. No holds barred.

Tlaloc

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looked like there was an ammo run at walmart earlier still some stock left tho. Not gonna lie I thought about buying some before checking out.