• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
That's fake news. It would leave a gap in the statistic and was already clarified that every covid death in Germany is counted towards covid if they were tested positively, even if they from other causes.

Say, you have 1000 cases
5 die purely because of covid (Pneumonia)
45 die because of underlying health problems
50 recover.
In the official report, you would have 900 active cases, 5 deaths, 50 recoveries and .... where did the 45 people go?

It's bullshit and already debunked.

Now do it again with 45 dying without ever being recorded as covid cases. They have other diseases after all. If you don't test you don't know.

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020
Pretty sure Italy locked down Lombardy a month ago. It doesn't seem to have much of an impact especially considering how many morons are breaking quarantine.

Not really. Lodi went on lockdown super fast, and their cases never took off the way Lombardi's did. The full lockdown in Lombardi was one day before the country-wide one.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
i am sick and tired of western media reporting those CCP success stories about no new infections and stuff...it is just ridiculous at this point.

also, people should inform themselves how China did their quarantine...they were literally welding doors of houses and did other things that are downright against any human rights.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Other Nordic countries are way behind Germany on the timeline of the spread though. If Germany doesn't test mortem you don't really know if the number is high or low. Old people could die without ever being in ICU or even in a hospital.

Again, it would be a relatively tiny number. We have free health care, the hospitals are not overloaded, anyone who can make an emergency call, would make it (unless they are just giving up)

Nov 6, 2017
User Warned: Fearmongering
We're absolutely fucked aren't we? Like, how do we recover? We're all going to either die from this or die from starvation.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We're absolutely fucked aren't we? Like, how do we recover? We're all going to either die from this or die from starvation.

Stop this. No. We're not.

People could just go out and live life as normal and society would still function to some degree even if we just let people get it and die before what you said happened. We're not going to collapse this degree.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Stop with the conspiracy bullshit. People are not being denied covid tests because they have underlying health issues.

I said nothing about denying tests. Is it true or not that Germany doesn't test port mortem? The rest, how big or small the number is his nothing but speculation and/or exceptionalism.

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017
I said nothing about denying tests. Is it true or not that Germany doesn't test port mortem? The rest, how big or small the number is his nothing but speculation and/or exceptionalism.
I read multiple german articles already where reported deaths were post mortem. Stop it. There are many reasons why the death rate is low, high testing numbers, 80% affected <60, huge number of ICU places compared to other countries etc.

Kikujiro

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if we are going to recover this time. The economy fallout will be huge especially considering the incompetence of the government.

Oh well stay safe fellow italians.

The economy fallout will be huge all around the world, it won't be just an "Italian thing". All eyes are on the EU, this crisis is going to break it for real if they don't do anything. I'm optimistic, the moment our healthcare will not be overwhelmed as of now and scientists will to discover better treatments, the course will change. I look at South Korea (yeah, we are not organized as them), but they are doing it, so it's possible. We just gonna hang in there for the time being.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
We need more tests in the US.
Stop this. No. We're not.

People could just go out and live life as normal and society would still function to some degree even if we just let people get it and die before what you said happened. We're not going to collapse this degree.
Have you seen the numbers in Italy and Spain?

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
We need to start moderating shit like this.
yeah the sensationalism has to stop. its simple as hell majority of us will be just fine whenever we get it the fear is that we cant all get it all at the same time or then we are left with hard choices of who lives and who dies. so instead of putting that much pressure on our health system we need just delay when each of us gets sick and make sure the most vulnerable of us can be cared for.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017

- If people die and were previously part of the covid statistic, they are counted 100% as covid deaths
- If people die, without being part of the statistic, I have no Idea, I didn't watch the news conference where this info came about. But only people who are unable (or unwilling) to make an emergency call would even fall into this category. Covid is not a stroke where minutes matter, if your health detoriates, you call an ambulance and get checked.

Kleefeld

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
I totally believe the German numbers. My best friend is an ICU nurse in a big hospital here in Hannover and they have just one Corona patient right now. Her ICU is not fuller than usual atm. They are preparing for bigger numbers though.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Jesus, up to 11,000 dead worldwide now. Fucking hell that's 1100 today and it's only 5:30PM GMT.
Trump compared this initially to an overreaction and pointed to the Ebola outbreak of of 2014 under Obama, with a death toll of 11,323 total.

He failed to mention that Obama responded to the outbreak almost immediately and their precautions meant that the US had only 1 death and 4 confirmed cases, 2 of which were from nurses treated the man who died.

It would have been a godsend now to have had a leader take steps to ensure only 4 cases of this in the entire nation... but Obama didn't call Ebola a "GOP hoax" and put his head in the sand for months.

So, yeah, we're going to SOAR past the Ebola casualty numbers soon.

Sorry, I just feel helpless.
Don't feel helpless. Just be safe, follow the right guidelines, and take care of yourself.
Remember, the risk is still low, and those most at-risk are the elderly.

This is not the end of civilization, just a massive interruption of normal life that can and will return back to normal eventually.

Don't go thinking we'll be in the world of Mad Max just yet.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
About Germany, I want to ask one thing to German people or to people who carefully follow the evolution of Covid-19 in that country.
Do Germany announce daily how many tests were performed, or weekly, with an official statement? This morning I saw someone posting tweets about maximum capacity of tests, but not how many of that capacity were performed. In Italy at 6PM numbers are announced official. As of today, 206886 tests were performed, more than 20k in a single day (yesterday's number was 182777).
Are there similar numbers for Germany, or just a "maximum test capacity of 160k weekly"?

hockeypuck

Oct 29, 2017
For American healthcare workers and household contacts:

There is now a new randomized clinical trial that is trying to test whether post-exposure prophylaxis with hydroxycholoroquine works in preventing Covid-19 infection. Participants are mailed either 1 week worth of hydroxychloroquine or placebo. Email the contact person if you want to be enrolled.

CTG Labs - NCBI

Gorgosh

Oct 26, 2017
About Germany, I want to ask one thing to German people or to people who carefully follow the evolution of Covid-19 in that country.
Do Germany announce daily how many tests were performed, or weekly, with an official statement? This morning I saw someone posting tweets about maximum capacity of tests, but not how many of that capacity were performed. In Italy at 6PM numbers are announced official. As of today, 206886 tests were performed, more than 20k in a single day (yesterday's number was 182777).
Are there similar numbers for Germany, or just a "maximum test capacity of 160k weekly"?
Not daily, but tagesschau.de reports numbers of weekly tests performed sometimes. 35k two weeks ago, 100k last week, capacity rising. These are numbers without hospital tests. We should be nearing 300k tests totally done end of week.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Even with these numbers very little % of population even there is infected..... you need to put things in relation
The infected numbers are not accurate at all because most countries aren't testing people that don't show symptoms. That means two things: the number of infected people is several times bigger than the reported (some say that between 10 to 20 times bigger), and that the mortality rate is much smaller than reported.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I couldn't help but say 'fuck!!' out loud when I saw Italy's numbers. Fuck.

Even with these numbers very little % of population even there is infected..... you need to put things in relation

What is this, three weeks ago? This sounds like dismissive commentary surrounding the seriousness of the disease. Think about how many lives will be affected even if we have 1% fatality. Or 0.5%.

And at this point it is just stupid to look at the number of tested cases and assume that represents anything but the people that were tested. There is no way we are testing enough, or that it is even possible to test enough at this point.

What are the estimates, how long until the peak? I read somewhere at least a week, possible two

A... week?

Frankfurter

Oct 27, 2017
The number of people who die from corona that did not get a corona test are minuscule at this point of time when the hospitals are not even overloaded. It will change, but right now the low German numbers are because of heavy testing (160k tests a week, when even Italy did "just" 180k overall). They are comparative to other nordic countries.

Mind providing a source for that 160k tests? The latest I got was 100k last week, not counting tests in hospitals.