• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
Yeah, I am afraid they won't even be going back in the fall.
Someone referred to all our social distancing efforts and the associated economic impacts as a temporary transfer of wealth and energy from the young and healthy to the old and infirm... and that there will come a time when the young and healthy will demand it be transferred back — because life needs to move on and livelihoods must be earned. I suspect that will happen by the time school starts in the fall.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Get the hell out with this Trumpian downplaying. The virus can stay active in the air for hours; social distancing helps but it's not a magic solution. Simply going for a walk and breathing the air that someone infected has breathed can get you infected as well.

What the hell is causing people not to understand how contagious this virus is?

I am about as panicked as anyone and even I start to draw the line here. The majority of transmission we know about so far has been from people who are in close quarters and inhale droplets from coughs/sneezes, or touch surfaces with droplets on them and later transfer it to their mouth/nose. The virus itself may be able to survive in air for a decent bit of time but a cough or sneeze outside is going to become extremely spread out and diffuse, very quickly because you are dividing that number of droplets by a massive volume of air. We don't yet have evidence to suggest that it's highly contagious in a free floating airborne form like you're suggesting.

dingobingo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
User banned (1 week): ignoring staff post, posting misinformation about origin of coronavirus
I love the babyboomers, they steal the wealth, destroy the environment, keep kicking us down. And now there final gift the Corona virus and us having to take care of them. I cannot wait till they truly fuck off

CrazyIvan1978

Oct 27, 2017
Wisconsin
It's weird to think of the level at which young lives are being put on hold right now. Are we going to have a year with no graduates? Is everyone going to be held back a grade?
From my anecdotal experience, no. I am attending a university, and all of my classes have been changed to a distance learning/online format. Technically, I will get credit for these classes as long as I do not fail them. Students at this university that were graduating this semester, will still graduate, just not with a ceremony.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
So merkel and state leaders discussed a curfew to get a response of all states.

Now 3 more state declare a curfew while 11 others don't.

What a joke

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
So merkel and state leaders discussed a curfew to get a response of all states.

Now 3 more state declare a curfew while 11 others don't.

What a joke
But what everyone else is doing is basically in line with what Austria and Italy (for now) are doing. You are allowed to go outside, just not in groups.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's weird to think of the level at which young lives are being put on hold right now. Are we going to have a year with no graduates? Is everyone going to be held back a grade?

My kids already *passed to the next grade according to my governor..
However, they will continue school this upcoming Wednesday via virtual learning. My kids will attend the sessions even though there will be no more testing. (Just to keep them occupy)

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
But what everyone else is doing is basically in line with what Austria and Italy (for now) are doing. You are allowed to go outside, just not in groups.
And now everyone will go out in pairs of two and you have 5 couples within 10 metres like yesterday in dusseldorf.

Country and states agreed to a nationwide contact ban so expect everyone to follow shortly (just like with the school closures).

Bund und Länder verständigen sich auf umfangreiches Kontaktverbot

This is what i'm talking about. People still go out and walk around the rhine shore like they did yesterday in dusseldorf.

It was packed even if it's technically only pairs of two.

Meanwhile sachsen, bawü and others will follow bavaria.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
in italy you can't go outside, even alone , if you don't have something urgent to do like go to the doctor or buy food.
there is currently a big argument since physical activity alone was not explicitly banned, but some regions are still enforcing it and many newspapers are keep telling people to just stay home.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Here in Saskatchewan when the provincial government announced the indefinite closure of schools they announced that all students will pass to the next level immediately with their current grades as their final grades I have a daughter in grade 9. It's crazy there's been no formal plan for tele education or anything. Luckily all her grades were in the high 90s but I've been just giving her different work to work on in the evenings.
This whole situation is so unprecedented I can't even begin to imagine what the long-term fallout will be
My ADHD ass was terrible at getting homework done, so I depended on nailing final exams to get my grades up. That's gonna be awful for kids like I was.

Oct 27, 2017
Cuomo just said in his briefing a few minutes ago that NY is NOT giving up on testing, and that he also wants to bring in the antibody tests so that medical staff can know it's okay to come back to work.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
From my anecdotal experience, no. I am attending a university, and all of my classes have been changed to a distance learning/online format. Technically, I will get credit for these classes as long as I do not fail them. Students at this university that were graduating this semester, will still graduate, just not with a ceremony.
I'm also going to assume after everything is said and done almost anyone is getting into college. Universities will need to make up lost revenue if this goes on for a few semesters. Like right now everything has switched to online classes but what about summer semester? What about Fall semester? Are they going to see people pulling out because schools remain closed?

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Cuomo just said in his briefing a few minutes ago that NY is NOT giving up on testing, and that he also wants to bring in the antibody tests so that medical staff can know it's okay to come back to work.

And he's 100% right.

Would also give us a better idea of how many people have already had it without symptoms.

OtisPepperoni

Dec 5, 2017
Live in NYC, and I'm incredibly proud to have Cuomo as Governor right now. He is LEADING and doing so without lying, without sugarcoating, yet still finding a way to stay somewhat positive. Wish the whole country would hear him everyday instead of Trump.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Minnesota is up 32 cases, now 169 positive out of 4680 tested.

1 death, and 5 hospitalized IIRC.

There's also a semi-official estimate that MN's true numbers are 10-100x what's confirmed.

The silver lining right now is the relatively low number of serious cases. It helps my mental health a little (in terms of the sense of danger I feel for myself and others who live here) when I remember that even the hardest hit countries have regions that are relatively unaffected and I'm hoping Minnesota can be one of them.

Last edited:

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I love the babyboomers, they steal the wealth, destroy the environment, keep kicking us down. And now there final gift the Corona virus and us having to take care of them. I cannot wait till they truly fuck off
Wtf is this post? They didn't engineer the virus and are more at risk of dying from it. Weird things to be upset at baby boomers for.

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
Live in NYC, and I'm incredibly proud to have Cuomo as Governor right now. He is LEADING and doing so without lying, without sugarcoating, yet still finding a way to stay somewhat positive. Wish the whole country would hear him everyday instead of Trump.
I will say the same thing about Phil Murphy in NJ. Taking a vigilant, yet realistic approach to the virus will pay dividends in the long run.

Invictus

Oct 25, 2017

My son is five. We had him going to school to improve his interactions with other kids since he never went to daycare. He was just now starting to learn to make close friends and connections and now suddenly that's all been pulled away for the foreseeable future. How do you teach kids to interact and make friends when they can't interact and make friends? I told my wife last week his generation may very well lose an entire year of their lives developmentally. She thought I was being dramatic. He is supposed to start kindergarten in September. I would be surprised if school starts even then they way things are going.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
New in Tennessee this morning: all restaurants ordered to serve takeout, drive-thru, or delivery only. Gatherings of more than 10 forbidden.

Here in Nashville the Mayor has issued what is basically a "shelter in place" for at least 14 days - all non-essential businesses are ordered closed, and residents should stay at home.

Deleted member 19844

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
Get the hell out with this Trumpian downplaying. The virus can stay active in the air for hours; social distancing helps but it's not a magic solution. Simply going for a walk and breathing the air that someone infected has breathed can get you infected as well.

Please understand that what you're referencing is in a laboratory setting under specific conditions. Is there non-zero chance that it could be spread how you're describing? Yes. Is that risk so low that every expert says going outside for a walk while generally staying away from people is okay? Also yes.

You also have to weigh that risk against the mental health risks introduced for many by hunkering down indoors.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You should be upset at your government rather than old people.
Outside the fact that it's laying blame where it actually belongs, being angry at your government can actually achieve things.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
I'm having a dilemma that I could use some help on.

I live with my girlfriend and also a roommate. My girlfriend and I are working from home, but our roommate works at Publix in FL.

The way things are going now, our roommate is likely to pick up the virus while we're trying to self-isolate. My girlfriend and I have the means to support her and shoulder her expenses until things pass, so she can call out and we can all ride this out together safely, but she's concerned about the ethical aspect, and if she won't be able to get another job later on because of this.

She's stressed about what to do, and I guess I'm reaching out for advice for her on the matter. Thanks, everyone.

H3llR8iser

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1bUCMGO.jpg

Got this from a friend who's Dad is also Doctor in NYC....

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
How are people handling regular medical things right now? I've got a painful lump next to my ear all of a sudden and normally I'd get that checked out but now I'm wondering if I should just leave it. Or do I get it checked out now before everything peaks?

I went to my local clinic (not my primary doctor) when my seasonal allergies drainage started to turn into bronchitis and an ear infection. I took note of all my symptoms, took my temp several times before going in. The doctor was very happy that I had been taking my temp and could link my symptoms to my seasonal allergies. There was a notable sigh of relief when I said I do not have a temp. Got a prescription for over the counter chest congestion and antibiotic for the bacterial ear infection.

Depending on where you are, I would call ahead and see what they suggest. Stick to smaller clinics if you are pretty sure it is something normal for you. If you are not sure, call your regual doctor office and see what they want you to do. Leave regular doctors and emergency rooms open for serious cases.

Nov 13, 2017
He also said a clinical trial beginning Tuesday of a treatment regimen of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin is happening. I am praying that it shows significant efficacy. I really hope it does.

Source: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/22/cor...-us-to-nationalize-medical-supply-buying.html

Deleted member 19844

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
I'm having a dilemma that I could use some help on.

I live with my girlfriend and also a roommate. My girlfriend and I are working from home, but our roommate works at Publix in FL.

The way things are going now, our roommate is likely to pick up the virus while we're trying to self-isolate. My girlfriend and I have the means to support her and shoulder her expenses until things pass, so she can call out and we can all ride this out together safely, but she's concerned about the ethical aspect, and if she won't be able to get another job later on because of this.

She's stressed about what to do, and I guess I'm reaching out for advice for her on the matter. Thanks, everyone.
If neither of you are immunocompromised, and you don't have strong underlying health issues, I'd say the only way to expect her to isolate is to be willing to cover not just expenses while staying home, but also down the line if she can't find work as a result.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
Got this from a friend who's Dad is also Doctor in NYC....

NYC is so unique in the US as it's most "European" like with an insanely high pop density and an actual public transit system. Combine that with being a worldwide business hub and it's the perfect Petri dish for rapid and uncontrollable spread.

I'm trying to think of any other US city that would even come close to it in regards to not just density but the amount of people who regularly use public transit jammed together. SF areas probably saved by the fact that they have non existent structure and everyone drives everywhere.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017

Just take a second and reflect on the irony of what you just posted, which is pretty much Trump levels of overreaction.

The virus in open air with natural variances is going to behave differently from how it behaves in a controlled lab setting. I'm gonna go ahead and take the advice of medical experts over overreacting Era members.

Mercurial

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You should be upset at your government rather than old people.
Outside the fact that it's laying blame where it actually belongs, being angry at your government can actually achieve things.

The government is largely populated by Baby Boomers, so...yeah. These are the people that have spent decades gutting the government, cutting taxes at the expense of all else, and who have refused to even consider halting the perpetual growth of military spending in favor of expanding services that more directly and immediately benefit the nation.

Their hands aren't clean in this. They may not have created the virus but their governance has led to the circumstances in our society that have exacerbated the problem immeasurably.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Love the format of Cuomo pressers, I feel like that's enough information to get me through a day without trolling the internet for the data and being exposed to the 24/7 news cycle.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Some famous streamers got banned for such dumb statements from Twitch (which says a lot). I wonder if we should ban such comments from Era as well.

Meanwhile sachsen, bawü and others will follow bavaria.
I'm in Bavaria and you can still go for a walk or go for a run anytime. But it seems like most people are reasonable and go for the the least crowded places. Maybe those public announcements from fire trucks that randomly drive around helps in this regard. They at least put some "emotional pressure" onto everyone.