• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Maybe a repost..but this seems like good news:

www.businessinsider.com

The coronavirus mutates more slowly than the flu — which means a vaccine will likely be effective long-term

The mutation rate of the new coronavirus suggests a one-time vaccine would be sufficient to confer long-term immunity, according to experts.

A glimmer of hope on the coronavirus front: Experts who have been tracking the virus' spread have concluded that it mutates at a slower rate than other respiratory viruses like the flu.

This slow mutation rate has two implications — both positive. It means the virus (whose official name is SARS-CoV-2) is stable in its current form, and therefore unlikely to get even more dangerous as it continues to spread. That also means that a vaccine could be effective in the long-run; it'd act more like a measles or chickenpox vaccine than a seasonal flu shot.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Is the number of cases and deaths in California relative to other states fairly representative of the actual situation? Or is there anything that's keeping it artificially "low"?

I know it's under reported, but that's true for every state. So relatively speaking, is California managing this situation more effectively?
California has a huge number of pending tests (speculation is there are almost 50K outstanding tests based on reported results and what the governor said today about the number of tests performed).

It's taking days to get results here (and we're already up to over 3K cases and 67 deaths). The shelter-in-place orders probably will help somewhat, but I think we're just seeing the delay in reporting unfold in real-time.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
America just broke 1,000 deaths. Jesus.

The thing is, they could easily do double or triple that number a day by the end of April if they continue with the current plan, and at that point they will need another 21-28 to try and slow that down.

Imagine 2,500+ people dying every day in one month, and someone thinking it was worth it cause "economy"

Maybe it will take 100,000 death for people to listen, as 1,000 is apparently not enough

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe a repost..but this seems like good news:

www.businessinsider.com

The coronavirus mutates more slowly than the flu — which means a vaccine will likely be effective long-term

The mutation rate of the new coronavirus suggests a one-time vaccine would be sufficient to confer long-term immunity, according to experts.

I dont like this article, as in a roundabout way it suggests the current form of the virus is not that bad, even though the numbers are terrible, and it continues to reference CoVID-19 next to the flu, which needs to stop

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I dont like this article, as in a roundabout way it suggests the current form of the virus is not that bad, even though the numbers are terrible, and it continues to reference CoVID-19 next to the flu, which needs to stop
All it's saying is that the virus technically more stable than flu, it's a helpful comparison in this case.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
Sorry if this has been posted but this is some stupid shit. The Governor of Mississippi is actively preventing cities from taking additional quarantine measures other than what the executive order contains.

City of Tupelo

surr

Oct 27, 2017
We're a HUGE state and much more spread out.

We did lock down sooner than most, and in the bay area tech companies had instituted work from home more than a week before the bay area lockdown.

Yup, I work in tech and my company instituted WFH a week before Bay Area lockdown, which is 2 weeks before California lock down. And I and others on my team were already WFH a week and a half before that. So for me it was 3.5 weeks before CA lockdown.

Glad I was able to stop my commute when I could cause I was even wearing a mask on BART already.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018

See, that kind of stuff is what makes me lose hope in humanity. I've seen more and more assholes thinking that way. Not surprisingly, they're psychopathic CEO's, so they couldn't care less about their employees. We just had one of those idiots saying some gnarly shit today here in Mexico.

At least there's a lot of good people fighting everyday to save as many lives as they can in many hospitals around the world right now.

Truly revealing times we're living right now.

Grip

Oct 26, 2017
So I've been in denial about my symptoms for the last week or so, but I'm starting to really believe I might have this. About two and half weeks ago I started getting abdominal pain and slight nausea in the morning. It wasn't too bad and would usually go away once I'd get to work so I didn't think much of it (this was right before things really blew up in the US), but I was also noticing that I was getting extremely tired in the evenings. This went on for pretty much the whole work week, but seemed to go away once the weekend started and I chalked it up to not getting enough sleep. Then Sunday evening I started getting some tightness in my chest and was having some slight difficulty breathing which was a little concerning even though I'd experienced this before when I had lyme disease in 2018-2019 (I still get occasional flare ups). I was really hoping this was just an awfully timed flare up and would go away after a few days, but everything persisted and has fluctuated for the last week and half. I've also had a ton of burning in my stomach and chest when I eat and sometimes drink, but this has actually started to feel a little better.

I don't know, I don't have the hallmark symptoms of fever and cough (though I do have some discomfort in my throat and clear it a lot), but the abdominal pain and chest tightness are concerning. I'm also not sure if my timeline from symptom onset to today adds up. As I mentioned, this has been going on for roughly 2 1/2 weeks which seems like a long time to have such mild symptoms (meaning the intensity isn't severe and there isn't much progression- some things like fatigue are more/less gone and the stomach issues seem to be improving as well). I also would have had to have been infected 3+ weeks ago which would have been weeks before we had any confirmed cases in the Pittsburgh Area (right now there are 88 confirmed cases in the county). Certainly possible, but it does seem a little unlikely considering I haven't traveled and don't know anyone who has been sick in the last few weeks.

Sorry if this comes off as rambling, but the stress of all this is really weighing on me (been having issues with hypertension which makes everything worse) and I just needed to get this off my chest. There's free testing in my area tomorrow and I'm going to try to get there early and hopefully get tested (they are turning people away who don't have noticeable symptoms). Guess I'll find out soon enough.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sister and I work fast food, told them today that we'll be taking two weeks off (starting... next Tuesday, as still feel should fulfill the schedule, which ends Monday). Won't lie, I feel... stupid, I guess.

And it's largely because I'm in Texas, which I recently read is the 49th most aggressive State in taking action for prevention. Which means we'll be the laughing stock for three more work days, as it's still a joke here, still just the flu, people are f**s for wimping out. And I let that stuff get to me too easily. Like a peer pressure guilt or something.

But my hope is that in this period of time, the vindication will come, with a stronger lockdown on... at least fast food in the same parking lot as two grocery stores. Judging by today's crazy business, though? I'm afraid it's not likely.

It's the right choice, for fact. But gosh I hate this feeling. Will come back to cowprkers saying stuff about us for months, and that I'd put money on.

I'm young, sister's young (I know we ain't invincible.) But it's bringing it home to parents (59, 54) with pre-existing issues, both that keeps me up freaking out..

What an absolutely confusing time.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018

JWr0Mwf.png

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How are my NYC peeps holding up? I see all these quarantine videos of people in the suburbs and other states complaining from their huge backyards and giant houses, meanwhile my tiny apartment doesn't even have a balcony. It's genuinely scary leaving the house, obviously it's scary everywhere but here at the epicenter, you really are putting yourself at risk every time you step outside. I don't bother with the grocery stores, I make a bodega run every three days or so but even that is just... really intense. I'd feel a lot better if I had a mask, I wish I knew where everyone was getting them because they're apparently so plenty I see tons of them just discarded on the sidewalk.
I live in Manhattan and I've been chilling, only going down to get supplies and beer every few days.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
You know what, I'm getting new respect towards our state and municipal governments. Long before the federal mexican government started the phase two actions or closing down places, Nuevo Leon and lots of the cities already did stuff to prevent big gatherings of people by closing one of our biggest tourism hotspots (Parque Fundidora, it's also the home of several big music festivals all year long), so they closed any incentives for people of going out.

Our mayor just revealed that eight of 17 families who were quarantined and isolated into their homes because of symptom detections, got a negative result on their tests, the other ones are still awaiting for their tests, they traced the contacts and all of them are doing self isolation. At this rate I feel really bad for my country, but my city and state have been doing an stellar job and didn't wait shit from AMLO.

It's like, they're corrupt and shady ass politicians like always, but they absolutely don't want people to die, and it shows.

Sep 3, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
The US is so fucking dumb!! I can't deal with this shit anymore it's so surreal! decided to take my mind off shit and watch a movie. Felt like I haven't sat down and watched a movie(Uncut gems) for so long, just been reading about this shit every day after work, learning and just trying to understand.

go back to local news(Arizona) the fact our shitty governor still hasn't issued a "shelter in place" is just beyond me! We have a petition with over 53,000 to lockdown. The fact we even need to have a petition for this fucking bullshit is just mind blowing.. I don't get what the fuck is going on in this world anymore.. looking at NY, and Cali, NJ, Florida. how bad it's getting daily. Fucking dead bodies too many for hospitals. We now have over 1,000 deaths! And no one is doing fucking shit!!! I don't get it! What the flying fuck are all the other state's waiting for to go in shelter in place and lock shit down!

For real GET me the fuck off this wild BS ride! They are so fucking worried about the economy when people are dying!! Fuck this country and trump!!

End rant I need a drink damnit lol

feline fury

Dec 8, 2017
California has a huge number of pending tests (speculation is there are almost 50K outstanding tests based on reported results and what the governor said today about the number of tests performed).

It's taking days to get results here (and we're already up to over 3K cases and 67 deaths). The shelter-in-place orders probably will help somewhat, but I think we're just seeing the delay in reporting unfold in real-time.
Even with the ramp up in testing, I can tell you that there are still a lot of people here who should be tested but aren't. Whether it's because the person is not at high risk or if they haven't showed symptoms yet (despite possible exposure). It might be better than some other states but I can assure you that the cases are certainly underreported.

Employers in general have a vested interest in avoiding the issue whenever possible. Quarantined employees or confirmed positive employees mean a reduction in the workforce and possible workers compensation claims.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That 475k also includes the 100k+ that have recovered, if that helps anyone...

Jan 31, 2018
It is one of the darkest and most dramatic moments in recent Spanish history. In the chilling table of daily dead from the coronavirus pandemic, Spain has taken top position from Italy - with 738 dying over 24 hours.

Spain is now the hotspot of the global pandemic, a ghoulish title that has been passed from country to country over four months – starting in Wuhan, China, and travelling via Iran and Italy. As it moves west, we do not know who will be next.

What went wrong? Spain had seen what happened in China and Iran. It also has Italy nearby, just 400 miles across the Mediterranean and an example of how the virus can spread rapidly and viciously inside Europe.

Yet Spaniards cannot blame that proximity. There are no land borders with Italy, while France, Switzerland, Austria and Slovenia – all countries that are doing much better – do have them.

This may, in fact, be one of the reasons for the country's late response. Spain thought it was far enough away. "Spain will only have a handful of cases," said Dr Fernando Simón, the head of medical emergencies in Madrid, on 9 February. Six weeks later he gives out daily figures of hundreds of deaths. The number of dead per capita is already three times that of Iran, and 40 times higher than China.
On 19 February, 2,500 Valencia soccer fans mixed with 40,000 Atalanta supporters for a Champions League game in Bergamo which Giorgio Gori, mayor of the Italian city, has described as "the bomb" which exploded the virus in Lombardy.

In Spain, Valencia players, fans and sports journalists were amongst the first to fall ill.

The main reason for the quick spread through Spain may be completely mundane. It has been an unusually mild, sunny Spring. In late February and early March, with temperatures above 20C (68F), Madrid's pavement cafes and bars were heaving with happy folk, doing what Madrileños like best – being sociable. That means hugging, kissing and animated chatter just a few inches from someone else's face.
www.theguardian.com

How did Spain get its coronavirus response so wrong?

Spain saw what happened in Iran and Italy – and yet it just overtook China’s death toll in one of the darkest moments in recent Spanish history

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
My heart surgery happened on Friday, I'm doing great and now just waiting to get discharged tomorrow. I have independent mobility so I can go for walks by myself and I happened to pass one room on my wing with DO NOT ENTER. NO VISITORS. DO NOT ENTER WITHOUT PROPER PPE. LIMIT NUMBERS OF STAFF INSIDE. There were also droplet precaution sheets and other general Covid19 notices on the door.

I quickly walked back to my room and I'm hiding in here until my wife comes to pick me up. I had been informed that Covid patients were being kept isolated, not along with cardiac patients and people who had heart/lung transplants. Fuck. Get me out of here.

DronePhysics

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not gonna lie, I'm getting kind of nervous to go back to work this weekend. I work at a Lowes distribution center and I fear that warehouses are ripe for an outbreak. Our break room has 50+ people in it every break and lunch plus all of the equipment and merchandise that goes through multiple associates...

Hopefully nothing of the sort happens.

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
Got drunk last night so I'm happy I woke up (Granted 4:21 AM) pretty sober.

My grandad who's been put in a psych-ward, and is now blind after a stroke (That was also after he fell down the stairs and broke his ribs, he had a stroke in hospital about 2 days afterwards)... Now has COVID-19.

He's my adoptive parent, as is my grandma, I'm pretty numb at the moment.

Annoyingly she also went to see him on Saturday - granted they only found out he had COVID-19 yesterday and hasn't shown any symptoms but he's 70, diabetic, already has infections and I'm assuming will probably die, my grandma possibly has it - and I saw her two days ago so it's possible (I guess a 25% chance?) that I have it - and I've been working in an office since then, I was sent home yesterday.

BLAH.

I'm sorry you're going through this. Wishing the best for you and your family.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
*sigh* So much "insider information" going around, but honestly, if there was any ounce of truth, they would announce it now than wait... because why wait, anyways?

Guddha

Sep 5, 2019
With deaths doubling every three days, we're only a week out before seeing 1000+ casualties daily.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not gonna lie, I'm getting kind of nervous to go back to work this weekend. I work at a Lowes distribution center and I fear that warehouses are ripe for an outbreak. Our break room has 50+ people in it every break and lunch plus all of the equipment and merchandise that goes through multiple associates...

Hopefully nothing of the sort happens.

Speaking as an Amazon warehouse employee. Its highly probable for warehouses to have cases. Just like today when around 8 warehouses have reported cases already. And more coming in rumored reports.

I haven't gone back to work in about a few weeks and honestly I don't want to considering I and my family are high risk people. It feels fucked but I'd rather be broke and alive than catch this at all.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I legit thought your post was destined to the Nintendo Direct thread lol
Sorry (for the off topic too)

Guess it was pretty vague. But yeah just this "insider info" stuff is so out of control and annoying... I personally fell into the "national lockdown" thing. But that was due because I had no idea it was even some chainmail thing going on for several days alreadt, and my friend that told me did have connections, which was why it sounded legit (to be fair, Bay Area did go to "shelter in place" a few hours later...So that might have been the actual memo.)

Would be nice if people just read more and came to better conclusions from what they are hearing. If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong, and that's fine. But I do want to share legit news/research with people reading/watching vague stuff and pulling half-truths out. It's tough times so I get crazy theories and rumors are everywhere, but it's annoying when people are believing almost everything they hear :/ When I hear things like how "everyone has their own 'strain' of the virus when it passes to each person", completely contradicts the research on how it doesn't mutate that easily.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
We're a HUGE state and much more spread out.

We did lock down sooner than most, and in the bay area tech companies had instituted work from home more than a week before the bay area lockdown.
That's what I've seen as well. I'm in the South Bay (San Jose) and my company has been home since March 6th. And a lot of people I know have been locked down since at least the 13th.

Jan 31, 2018
773x435_cmsv2_e7502905-bc5e-5029-985d-7a2f8b5b0f79-4590378.jpg

On Sunday, footage of Orthodox priests in the Romanian city of Cluj giving communion to a long line of the faithful using a shared spoon was published by a local news platform.

It wasn't the first such footage to appear, but coming a day after the country imposed tough new measures to try to halt the spread of coronavirus, it hit a nerve.
As millions across the country largely stayed inside to avoid the spread of the virus, the actions of the priests seemed to risk causing the opposite.
www.euronews.com

Priests give communion with shared spoon as Romania COVID-19 spreads

The controversy came a day after Romania imposed restrictions to stop the spread of coronavirus in the country.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
The US trajectory looks really really bad

Looks that way. If it's to roughly match a European country with 330 million then then 18,000-20,000 deaths is likely so far. What might help is the space between states and large land per home should a proper lockdown come. NY is the opposite of that.

Last edited:

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
Things ramping up in Tokyo.
Major has told people not to leave their homes this weekend. My office is closing again for the weekend - half expect it to stay closed.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
I'm starting to think I actually don't have a chance if I catch this. I've really struggled with regular chest infections before and been hospitalised over them. I have severe asthma. A 21 year old girl with no health problems just died in the UK. If I get this I think I have very little chance of fighting it. I know this is selfish and it's the case for many people but it's really starting to get to me.

I'm 29 and moved in with the love of my life a year ago. Fuck this.