• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jan 31, 2018
Thankfully, not everyone is as insane as Bolsonaro
SAO PAULO (AP) — Brazil's governors on Wednesday rebelled against President Jair Bolsonaro's call for life to return to pre-coronavirus normalcy, saying his proposal to reopen schools and businesses runs counter to recommendations from health experts and endangers Latin America's largest population.

State governors, many of whom have adopted strict measures to limit gatherings in their regions, defied the president's instructions in a nationwide address Tuesday evening that they lift the restrictions and limit isolation only to the elderly and those with longstanding health problems.

The governors weren't the only defiant ones. Virus plans challenged by Bolsonaro were upheld by the Supreme Court. The heads of both congressional houses criticized his televised speech. Companies donated supplies to state anti-virus efforts. And even some of his staunch supporters joined his detractors.

In a videoconference Wednesday between Bolsonaro and governors from Brazil's southeast region, Sao Paulo Gov. João Doria threatened to sue the federal government if it attempted to interfere with his efforts to combat the virus, according to video of their private meeting reviewed by The Associated Press.

apnews.com

Virus has Brazil's Bolsonaro facing governor ‘insurrection’

SAO PAULO (AP) — Brazil's governors on Wednesday rebelled against President Jair Bolsonaro’s call for life to return to pre-coronavirus normalcy, saying his proposal to reopen schools and businesses runs counter to recommendations from health experts and endangers Latin America’s largest population.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
So was the government fudging the numbers so the Olympics wouldn't be postponed?

There was a sudden spike in case numbers the day after the postponement so it definitely seems so. Also, the government are taking it much more seriously so there's a sense that they were too lax in order to ensure Olympics continued.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I know it's BILD but they report Bosch developed a quicktest that will offer infected or not results within 2.5hours (takes 24-48hours now).

m.bild.de

Corona-Test: Bosch entwickelt Virus-Schnelltest zum Einsatz Grenze und Flughafen

Das deutsche Unternehmen Bosch hat einen Corona-Schnelltest entwickelt: Ergebnis in 2,5 Stunden! Er soll ab April erhältlich sein.

Test is supposed to be available at the start of april (next week) in germany.

Edit: Also hitting other media now and Bosch confirmed it.
www.nzz.ch

Bosch-Chef Denner kündet Corona-Schnelltest an ¦ NZZ

Mobilitätswende und Digitalisierung stellen den Autozulieferer Bosch vor eine doppelte Herausforderung. Nun kommt die Corona-Krise hinzu. Konzernchef Volkmar Denner erklärt im Interview, wie er all das meistern will.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Starting to have a sore throat, maybe im already dead ? I went out like 3 time for 20 minutes in the past week. And im a germaphobe so i clean everything... hopefully it's just nothing

KrigareN-

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
So what happens if you test positive for COVID-19? Do they just tell you to self-quarantine unless your symptoms are severe and life-threatening?

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
Uusimaa region including Helsinki (our capital) will be quarantined from the rest of Finland this week, that's 30% of our population. The feeling is quite surreal that something like this would happen during my lifetime, but it's a necessary action for sure.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guy in the boarding area of my flight sprawled out across three seats, coughing like crazy, face bright red. People can't be allowed to get onto planes in this condition, come on.

Naru

May 11, 2019
Whelp... looking at Japan's numbers. Did they lift restrictions? Some people said this would pick up after the Olympics are postponed, meaning they didn't report the numbers?

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not gonna lie, I'm getting kind of nervous to go back to work this weekend. I work at a Lowes distribution center and I fear that warehouses are ripe for an outbreak. Our break room has 50+ people in it every break and lunch plus all of the equipment and merchandise that goes through multiple associates...

Hopefully nothing of the sort happens.

protect yourself with masks, do not touch anything and then touch your face, wash your hands always and I mean always maintain social distancing

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
fun (/s) little local story
www.channel3000.com

Man claims he has coronavirus, coughs, spits, flings vomit at officer following 8th suspended license arrest, police say

A man claimed he had the coronavirus and coughed and spit at an officer while in custody following a vehicle pursuit Saturday afternoon.

Once Abraham was taken into custody, he coughed and spit toward an officer, claiming he was infected with the coronavirus, police said.

During a medical examination, Abraham vomited on the floor of the exam room and proceeded to use his foot to launch the vomit at a police officer.

Abraham was cited for several traffic violations, including eighth-offense OWI.

Abraham is being referred to the Green County District Attorney's Office for resisting arrest and obstructing, disorderly conduct, fleeing an officer in a motor vehicle, recklessly endangering safety, discharging bodily fluids at a public safety worker and threatening to disseminate a biological agent, according to the release.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
fun (/s) little local story
www.channel3000.com

Man claims he has coronavirus, coughs, spits, flings vomit at officer following 8th suspended license arrest, police say

A man claimed he had the coronavirus and coughed and spit at an officer while in custody following a vehicle pursuit Saturday afternoon.
This happens more and more and it's absolutely disgusting. I've seen countries give jail time for this and even charge them with terrorists charges. Rightfully so, fuck these people.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
The US trajectory would be less awful were we actually doing anything serious, except we're kinda not. Huge swaths of the country are doing next to nothing on containment or mitigation, and even areas under "lockdown" are mostly the stay-at-home types and not the extremely strict measures used in China or even the level from areas of Italy. The only real federal guidance is the raw basics like handwashing, staying home if sick, etc.
This happens more and more and it's absolutely disgusting. I've seen countries give jail time for this and even charge them with terrorists charges. Rightfully so, fuck these people.
Saddest part? This is his eighth OWI. 8! And he's inexplicably not in jail indefinitely! Laws in a lot of the US are super lax on when it comes to alcohol-related offenses. There's an old joke about, if you really wanted to commit a murder here, just get drunk first and it'll get knocked down a few pegs.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
That's what happens in France.
If you feel some symptoms and call a doctor, they'll tell you to stay at home, avoid contacts and only call emergencies if you feel any severe breathing difficulties
Same in the UK. Unless you're approaching critically-ill status, they (rightly, to be honest) don't want to admit you to hospital.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I know it's BILD but they report Bosch developed a quicktest that will offer infected or not results within 2.5hours (takes 24-48hours now).

m.bild.de

Corona-Test: Bosch entwickelt Virus-Schnelltest zum Einsatz Grenze und Flughafen

Das deutsche Unternehmen Bosch hat einen Corona-Schnelltest entwickelt: Ergebnis in 2,5 Stunden! Er soll ab April erhältlich sein.

Test is supposed to be available at the start of april (next week) in germany.

Edit: Also hitting other media now and Bosch confirmed it.
www.nzz.ch

Bosch-Chef Denner kündet Corona-Schnelltest an ¦ NZZ

Mobilitätswende und Digitalisierung stellen den Autozulieferer Bosch vor eine doppelte Herausforderung. Nun kommt die Corona-Krise hinzu. Konzernchef Volkmar Denner erklärt im Interview, wie er all das meistern will.
Isn't there a Korean kit that tests for it in 10 minutes?

That's what happens in France.
If you feel some symptoms and call a doctor, they'll tell you to stay at home, avoid contacts and only call emergencies if you feel any severe breathing difficulties

Not long ago I remember seeing France, Germany and Spain with similar numbers of infections, you guys are really doing well comparatively (25k, 38k, 49k). Still bad but way more 'under control'.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I'm going with not reporting but that's probably considered a conspiracy. It seems rather obvious though.

Nha, i think we can see it also on that light : it's logical when your testing capabilities are low to not want to waste the few tests for mild cases able to go home, you use them at hospital to properly confine cases (a flu+coronavirus... that's some baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad combo you definitly don't want to get) :/
That's my point of view anyway.
And yeah, olympics... that also addsthe veil of "greater nation interest" ... but that is conspiracy grade :P so i'll remain on the health side.

Jan 31, 2018
Could covid-19 threat be the impetus for a unified world government? The process has to start somewhere after all.
Gordon Brown has urged world leaders to create a temporary form of global government to tackle the twin medical and economic crises caused by the Covid-19 pandemic.

The former Labour prime minister, who was at the centre of the international efforts to tackle the impact of the near-meltdown of the banks in 2008, said there was a need for a taskforce involving world leaders, health experts and the heads of the international organisations that would have executive powers to coordinate the response.

A virtual meeting of the G20 group of developed and developing countries, chaired by Saudi Arabia, will be held on Thursday, but Brown said it would have been preferable to have also included the UN security council.
www.theguardian.com

Gordon Brown calls for global government to tackle coronavirus

Ex-PM at centre of 2008 banks rescue suggests taskforce of leaders and health experts

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Guy in the boarding area of my flight sprawled out across three seats, coughing like crazy, face bright red. People can't be allowed to get onto planes in this condition, come on.
Why can't people just stay at home if they are this sick?
I get it, that he might have an important appointment or something coming up but he might infect loads of people if he has it. So #staythefuckathome

Mar 29, 2018
the US is a really huge country. much bigger than europe countries. everyday i look at US numbers and i am praying it won´t hit you guys as hard as some european countries because of the sheer number of people you have.

good question. i think it is a team handling this

www.worldometers.info

Worldometer - About us

Worldometer: who we are, sources and mechanism, future projects
The US is equivalent to the entirety of Europe in terms of population. It's basically a continent, not a country.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
here in germany there is a province called Heinsberg who got hit the hardest in the beginning, the mayor asked and asked the government for support. in the end he asked china yesterday if they could provide masks and gloves and stuff. china will happily help in these times of need.

For a totally "reasonable" profit that is. wholesale prices from china have risen by about 300% from what I can see.

Mar 29, 2018
Depends on how you want to define "Europe", but as you didn't say "EU", no, not really. The US doesn't even have half of Europe's population.
Christ, you're right.

I looked it up last year and what I searched for said Europe at ~370 million and the US at ~340 million. I vividly remember seeing these numbers on-screen.

Searching today, I get Europe at over 700 million (!) and EU at 400 million. USA at 330.

Guess that shows how you gotta look at multiple sources/results, folks.

Neural Network

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 25, 2020
Turkey cases seems to be approaching Italy levels.

Yesterday 5035 people were tested 503 was positive 16 more people are dead.

Total count is 2045 positive infected and 60 dead. It is pretty alarming. Not to forget goverment seems not gonna ban businesses and just say "stay at home". Duh , if people dont get any money help how are they expected to survive. Most businesses are force closed due no customers but there is no aid planned. It's gonna be a shitfest here , only thing helping is age population here is very young compared to any EU countries. But that doesn't make virus go away or anything

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Oops you're probably right then

Nhaaa it's alright :P maybe you had some insider info on the person ... (we do have our fair share of nutjobs, we export them as well -i will forever remember a day i was on the banks of river edo, and a few meters from me were french people loudly singing La Marseillaise and doing a barbecue... and it was not july 14th -).