• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
www.businessinsider.com

'Some may even die, I don't know': Former Wells Fargo CEO wants people to go back to work and 'see what happens'

Richard Kovacevich, the former head of Wells Fargo, said people should start going back to work in April even as COVID-19 deaths pile keep increasing.

This is what they think of us.

Do you want to take an economic risk or a health risk? You get to choose.

You know, I think I'll go with the one that won't kill me and my loved ones. It was a close call, but in the end, I think it's the right move for me.

MrCinos

Oct 26, 2017
Daily stats for Russia:

2020-03-24 - 495 cases + 57 daily (+13% increase)
2020-03-25 - 658 cases + 163 daily (+33% increase)
2020-03-26 - 840 cases + 182 daily (+28% increase)

Maybe 1 person out of 100 is wearing masks on the streets, no one keeps a distance too. Though my city has only 2 confirmed cases, but lack of testing and no restriction or health checks to people coming from Moscow that have vast majority of cases makes me doubt those statistics.

Putin turned next week into official holidays for non-essential business, but plenty of businesses don't care about it and continue working threatening employees with lay offs if they don't go to the work. Honestly feels like we're waiting for Italy/Spain/US scenario before comitting fully to measures that work.

Culex

Oct 29, 2017
Was thinking: we are basically in planting season for the heartland of the USA. When this finally reached peak there, I think we are going to see some food impacts

vectorj

Oct 30, 2017
So is the testing situation in NYC still "you will be tested only if you're showing recognizable symptoms"?

For any one in the know I live in the Bay Ridge area.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Lombardia's numbers again increased today, with respect to previous days.
+around 2500 new cases (yesterday +1643)

Fontana: "Oggi i numeri purtroppo non sono molto belli. Il numero dei contagiati è aumentato un po' troppo rispetto alla linea dei giorni scorsi. Ora dovremo capire se si è trattato di un fatto eccezionale o se il trend dell'aumento ricomincia. E sarebbe imbarazzante"
Fontana: "Today the numbers are unfortunately not very good. The number of infected people has increased a bit too much compared to the line of the past days. Now we will have to figure out if it was an exceptional event or if the trend of the increase starts again. And it would be embarrassing."

chronos4590

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think my uncle has it. He's been sick with a fever, chills etc for about a week straight. I told my cousin to last week to tell him where to get rapid tested and he apparently didn't want to be and that he'll be fine. It finally hit him yesterday and decided he's gonna get tested. Now he's apparently on his way to the hospital ( i guess to be officially tested and to monitor him).

Frustrates and worries me cause our grandmother also lives there who is a cancer survivor and had a quad bypass about 4-5 years ago. I know this is scary but there is also a sense of responsibility that either being scared or macho about it only will make things worse.

elty

Oct 31, 2017
Yup, but a large number of Americans seems to be happy with how Trump is handling it so what are you gonna do.

I just hope Canada keeps borders closed even if we manage to eliminate it here.

It looks like In America
~45% will support Trump regardless of what happen
~45% will never support Trump regardless of what happen

The remaining 10% already has very low expectation, so he immediate gain points by displaying common sense once a week.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
German Federal Minister of Health Jens Spahn announced that german testing capacity is at 350-500k tests/week earlier today. He also expects a huge influx of patients in the coming weeks (current situation is the "calm before the storm" according to him) but says german hospitals had more time to prepare than hospitals in other countries because testing has been ramped up early into the pandemic so they knew it was coming and had some additional time to prepare.

Last edited:

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Promised to give you guys an update here from Germany. I didn't get a Coronavirus test because I only showed mild-middle strong symptoms and not all matched Corona (a strong chest pain when breathing, headache, swallowing pain, feeling super weak). My doctor would have liked to test me but he couldn't due to limited capacities here. I was then treated with antibiotics to start from an absolute worst case of a bacterial infection of the chest, lungs and throat. I feel better now a six days after the first symptoms showed strongly. However, each morning I still wake up in pain and with the feeling that something is stomping on my chest, making it hard to breathe for a couple minutes. I had a similair pain spike throughout the day but those have largely stopped now. Some nights were ROUGH. It's very strange.

I hope I will continuously keep getting better. I have read that Corona does come back for a few final rough days, so I'll continue to be wary IF I have it.

The one thing I did not like about all of this is that I was not physically examined at all. I understand that giving sick leaves to patients is supposed to protect medical staff. However, if - as my doctor says - Corona is not likely, why wouldn't I be examined to find a proper treatment? I sure feel better now but I'll likely never know what caused the disease.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
Oh ok....

Well before SARS no one in Asia really use mask. After SARS though it become expected when you are at risk. To them a pandemic is so distant that they (including most government) simply can't see it coming.
pretty sure face masks in japan go way back. people for sure used them when I was there in 2002.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Yeah, I've lost all faith in / respect for this guy with how he's been kissing China and Trump's ass through this whole thing.

I'm sure it isn't a coincidence that both entities respond best to praise and ass kissing. Needs must right now. Berating them publicly will just make things worse for everyone.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
Is it ok to start demanding guillotines for the rich yet? They literally want us to die just to make them more money.

I know it turned into a meme in recent years, but demanding people return to work during a fucking pandemic is the next step in the class war that we should probably want to start fighting back at some point.

It's funny, advocating violence on any level was once bannable (saying Ivana should be harassed actually got people banned even). Then someone punched Richard Spencer and we all had a good laugh. Guillotine references were bannable maybe just a week or two ago but I wonder if things will loosen up now that we have such black and white evidence of what people mean to the rich.

Oct 27, 2017
Lombardia's numbers again increased today, with respect to previous days.
+around 2500 new cases (yesterday +1643)

There's something incredibly depressing about his choice of word being "embarrassing" there. For some reason that just seems to hit home how impossible and crushing this all must feel.

In reality embarassment shouldn't come into it. It is what it is and it's awful, and the world knows Italy is doing everything it can.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
There's something incredibly depressing about his choice of word being "embarrassing" there. For some reason that just seems to hit home how impossible and crushing this all must feel.

In reality embarassment shouldn't come into it. It is what it is and it's awful, and the world knows Italy is doing everything it can.
I can understand the disappointment in seeing the numbers increasing so much again, after three days of "plateau". In Lombardia everything started more than a month ago, and it seemed that an eternity passed in the meantime from that first case.

jinkx

Sep 11, 2019
So, Brazil's most famous clown Bolsonaro is against the quarentine and is fighting governors to re-open the country 'cause "economy"

This is giving me such a fucking anxiety, because his followers are now reproducing his speech and are demanding leaders to stop the quarentine, they don't give a shit if a "few millions" of people dies

Seriously, living here is getting harder and harder every single day... Brazilians (not everyone of course) are so fucking dumb and selfish

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
pretty sure face masks in japan go way back. people for sure used them when I was there in 2002.

Isn't that when SARS was going around? I was trying to think about that the other day. I was in 8th or 9th grade at the time so I was pretty young but I remember being at my Grandma's house and we were all watching the news remarking about the masks back then so I was wondering if that's what kickstarted the general pop using masks over there.

Gabe

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Italy

Fontana isn't a fan of the current government, so any chances he has to spit on it is fine to him. No big surprises.

As a side note, all those buying the numbers from Germany (if German) should trying calling in and ask for a test to see what the actual answer given is.
I have many friends over there saying that they just tell you "it's probably a flu, stay home" and things like that.

The last OFFICIALLY recorded numbers of tests per million - 15 march - tell an entirely different story, as well as the cause of death in relation to posthomous test not being performed, which are performed both in Italy and Spain.

I hope, no: i PRAY all the gods old and new that they are just being amazingly efficient (they ARE german after all!)....but in my opinion there is some fuckery going around with the numbers.
Especially counting that i live next to an Agrotourism and they are always filled with germans (as well as other EU people) that come over for a month or two to get treated in northern Italy in some of our clinics due do (their words) "being better equipped than the ones we have".

I know: anecdotal, still...the WHO seems to agree in terms of healthcare rankings.

EDIT:
Also, i just checked to make sure, here are the world rankings for "healtiest population"
  • Spain
  • Italy
  • Iceland
  • Japan
  • Switzerland
  • Sweden
  • Australia
  • Singapore
  • Norway & Israel

Germany isn't in the top.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't that when SARS was going around? I was trying to think about that the other day. I was in 8th or 9th grade at the time so I was pretty young but I remember being at my Grandma's house and we were all watching the news remarking about the masks back then so I was wondering if that's what kickstarted the general pop using masks over there.
Sars emerged in november 2002, but I went there in march. That said germ masks have been a thing in japan for almost a century.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
These drone videos of NYC are crazy. It's practically a ghost city.

GOOD! As much as people bicker and point other's out for not following the orders, video's like this really do show that the vast majority is listening.

We could always do better, but footage like this is good to see.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
WHO is very political now which is evident by first the kissing up to China now Trump.

Cuomo was suddenly saying the same thing yesterday. I think they're forced if they want co-operation.

People are noting that the N95 masks make a better seal/fit when beards are shaved off.

I believe these masks are simply not effective if you have facial hair.

Source: https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices...n95-respirators-and-surgical-masks-face-masks
N95 respirators are not designed for children or people with facial hair. Because a proper fit cannot be achieved on children and people with facial hair, the N95 respirator may not provide full protection.

iyox

Oct 25, 2017
Cuomo was suddenly saying the same thing yesterday. I think they're forced if they want co-operation.

Yeah, Cuomo was clearly trying to play nice with him to get the needed supplies to, you know, save lives. Can't believe Trump is playing political games with so many lives on the line. My hate for him has reached new heights.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Fontana isn't a fan of the current government, so any chances he has to spit on it is fine to him. No big surprises.

As a side note, all those buying the numbers from Germany (if German) should trying calling in and ask for a test to see what the actual answer given is.
I have many friends over there saying that they just tell you "it's probably a flu, stay home" and things like that.

The last OFFICIALLY recorded numbers of tests per million - 15 march - tell an entirely different story, as well as the cause of death in relation to posthomous test not being performed, which are performed both in Italy and Spain.

I hope, no: i PRAY all the gods old and new that they are just being amazingly efficient (they ARE german after all!)....but in my opinion there is some fuckery going around with the numbers.
Especially counting that i live next to an Agrotourism and they are always filled with germans (as well as other EU people) that come over for a month or two to get treated in northern Italy in some of our clinics due do (their words) "being better equipped than the ones we have".

I know: anecdotal, still...the WHO seems to agree in terms of healthcare rankings.

EDIT:
Also, i just checked to make sure, here are the world rankings for "healtiest population"
  • Spain
  • Italy
  • Iceland
  • Japan
  • Switzerland
  • Sweden
  • Australia
  • Singapore
  • Norway & Israel

Can we stop the conspiracy theories please?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Belgian company send special mattresses to hospitals in Belgium, Netherlands and Germany. For hospital workers to relax during their break. Usually used for physiotherapy, stress relieve etc.
They are not loaned btw. Hospitals can keep them and they are 3000 euro each. The send a couple of hundred of them.

Gabe

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Can we stop the conspiracy theories please?

I'm just reading the data, and if you check the last officially reported number of tests, and not an "estimate" with no data next to it, they seem to tell a different story.
I mean there is a reason why all the experts are trying to study the situation, it's a big anomaly.

Can i have an opinion based on their own numbers? -_-

plow

Oct 28, 2017

EDIT:
  • Spain
  • Italy
  • Iceland
  • Japan
  • Switzerland
  • Sweden
  • Australia
  • Singapore
  • Norway & Israel

Again with the shit that germany isn't testing posthomous? That's wrong and has been debunked a lot of times already. There was even a case in the News of a man who died in Hamburg who got checked posthomous.

Even if you do 500K Tests a week, you can't test everyone. Right now they have about a "Positive Rate" of 7%, which is really really low already. For instance, few days ago in Lombardia the "Positive Rate" was about 40%.

Also 15 March is a really bad Day to pick, since it is 11 Days ago and the Virus hadn't really picked up then, we had about 5K cases. Germany increased the Testing capicity basically every week starting last week with an increase to 160K per Week ( Note, these are only Tests done by officials. Tests that are done in private medical studios are not counted ).

So while the number seem unrealistic, considering everything Dorsten said in the PK, they are to believed.

To top that off, since yesterday ( at least in my City, a City of 600K people). Symptoms are enough to get tested.

Also if you want official Numbers: https://www.alm-ev.de/pressemitteil...sts-ueber-400000-tests-seit-anfang-maerz.html

400K Tests were done till the 24.03. Just in Week 12 260K Tests were done.

Last edited:

Gabe

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Again with the shit that germany isn't testing posthomous? That's wrong and has been debunked a lot of times already. There was even a case in the News of a man who died in Hamburg who got checked posthomous.

I have no idea why you guys are getting riled up, but the RKI -when asked- has said that it' not routine. I took it as not being something they "always do no matter what".

EDIT: Sorry, had to find it.

"The RKI says those who were not tested for Covid-19 in their lifetime but are suspected to have been infected with the virus "can" be tested after death, but in Germany's decentralised health system this is not yet a routine practice. "

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I'm just reading the data, and if you check the last officially reported number of tests, and not an "estimate" with no data next to it, they seem to tell a different story.
I mean there is a reason why all the experts are trying to study the situation, it's a big anomaly.

Can i have an opinion based on their own numbers? -_-
You're reading old data and make up some conspiracy that politicians, virologist, german cdc and hospital associations lie because of some anecdotal evidence of the limited number of people you know in germany.

You continue to use the conspiracy theory that german doesn't test post mortem when it has been debunked by myself and countless others aswell as official german sources multiple times and then you use some WHO rating which has absolutely nothing to do with pandemic readiness, ICU/ventilator ability or testing capabilities to prop up your conspiracy theory.

I'm not sure why mods don't intervene in this but these arguments made up by a friend of mine knew someone that said X shouldn't have a place in this thread.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
I have no idea why you guys are getting riled up, but the RKI -when asked- has said that it' not routine. I took it as not being something they "always do no matter what".

EDIT: Sorry, had to find it.

"The RKI says those who were not tested for Covid-19 in their lifetime but are suspected to have been infected with the virus "can" be tested after death, but in Germany's decentralised health system this is not yet a routine practice. "

I missunderstood your Sentence, sorry for that. Still, many experts say that the number of undetected cases is very low anyways. And it does not change the very high testing numbers.

BahamutPT

Oct 28, 2017
Portugal:

3544 confirmed cases.
+ 549 since yesterday.
60 deaths
+ 17 since yesterday.
43 recoveries
+ 21 since yesterday.

Still at 61 people in the ICU services.

Our tracking systems must be really messed up.

In perspective, yesterday's report had (vs previous day):
+5681 new suspected cases
+633 positive
+5240 negative
-192 awaiting results

Today's report has:
ONLY +1102 new suspected cases
+549 positive
+149 negative
+404 awaiting results

Edit: not to mention the report on their website has even more messed up numbers not matching with the one on Twitter, with -1 negative cases.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo mayor on tv now, confirming 47 new cases in Tokyo (highest growth so far).
Still no lockdown in place, just lots of 'please cooperate and stay home this weekend' pleas.

Gabe

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Italy
You're reading old data and make up some conspiracy that politicians, virologist, german cdc and hospital associations lie because of some anecdotal evidence of the limited number of people you know in germany.

You continue to use the conspiracy theory that german doesn't test post mortem when it has been debunked by myself and countless others aswell as official german sources multiple times and then you use some WHO rating which has absolutely nothing to do with pandemic readiness, ICU/ventilator ability or testing capabilities to prop up your conspiracy theory.

I'm not sure why mods don't intervene in this but these arguments made up by a friend of mine knew someone that said X shouldn't have a place in this thread.

I quoted the RKI in my very next post. But whatever, not gonna respond further.

I missunderstood your Sentence, sorry for that. Still, many experts say that the number of undetected cases is very low anyways. And it does not change the very high testing numbers.

No problem, and as i said i hope MY OPINION is shit. If they are indeed testing as much as the Virologist (and i'm not downplaying him, but for example one of our most know virologists said "it's nothing to be alarmed of" at the beginningof all the spread...hechanged histune pretty quickly) estimated, they are doing an amzing job.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
Tokyo mayor on tv now, confirming 47 new cases in Tokyo (highest growth so far).
Still no lockdown in place, just lots of 'please cooperate and stay home this weekend' pleas.

So it seems Japan is now starting to take action to control a possible outbreak. Good news. Hope it stays under control over there guys.