• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Curious if its getting better even when the numbers go up. They are saying for a while now they expect a peak of IC next week. Hopefully after that it goes down or flattens abit.
When did we go in isolation again? I forgot all time...
There's actually a flattening of the curve in terms of hospitalization, so we do see a result of the quarantine. Of course you're in the hospital for 1-3 weeks, so it does work cumulatively sadly, and would indeed mean a peak somewhere in April.

77QmzDE.jpg

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
There's actually a flattening of the curve in terms of hospitalization, so we do see a result of the quarantine. Of course you're in the hospital for 1-3 weeks, so it does work cumulatively sadly, and would indeed mean a peak somewhere in April.

77QmzDE.jpg
Thanks. Yeah offcourse people are gonna be there for a while.

Dinda

Oct 27, 2017
I quoted the RKI in my very next post. But whatever, not gonna respond further.
Germany's Number may be low, but they are not the only ones with such rates, Austria, Australia Norway etc all have similar rates, but maybe aren't that visible since they aren't high up the overall case rankings
If they are indeed testing as much as the Virologist (and i'm not downplaying him, but for example one of our most know virologists said "it's nothing to be alarmed of" at the beginningof all the spread...hechanged histune pretty quickly) estimated, they are doing an amzing job.
If the german virologist Drosten which the people are quoting here would be a hack, you may as well start to not believe any Numbers you are seeing reported, as he and his team are the ones who developed the test in January which is used by the WHO around the world for Corona testing.

demon326

Nov 3, 2017
Belgian company send special mattresses to hospitals in Belgium, Netherlands and Germany. For hospital workers to relax during their break. Usually used for physiotherapy, stress relieve etc.
They are not loaned btw. Hospitals can keep them and they are 3000 euro each. The send a couple of hundred of them.

My parrents have one of those.. there awesome and will help those people allot!

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Washington's volume of new cases/deaths has been pretty level for the last week or so...that is good right? and possibility that the distancing that has been in place for t he last 3 weeks or so, might be doing some good?

hEist

Oct 26, 2017

77QmzDE.jpg

to be honest, that could be just an outlier. I do hope, that every country will get to this point fast, but you need more datapoints.

Fractology

Oct 28, 2017
There were earlier reports in the thread about how pinkeye (follicular conjunctivitis) might be an early indicator of COVID-19 (in a similar way that loss of smell / taste seems to be as well). That was based on some early data, but it seems to be getting a little more scientifically sourced. American Academy of Ophthalmology guidance here with updates: https://www.aao.org/headline/alert-important-coronavirus-context

Updated What you need to know
  • Several reports suggest the virus can cause a mild follicular conjunctivitis otherwise indistinguishable from other viral causes, and possibly be transmitted by aerosol contact with conjunctiva.
  • Patients who present to ophthalmologists for conjunctivitis who also have fever and respiratory symptoms including cough and shortness of breath, and who have recently traveled internationally, particularly to areas with known outbreaks (China, Iran, Italy and South Korea, or to hotspots within the United States), or with family members recently back from one of these areas, could represent cases of COVID-19.
  • The Academy and federal officials recommend protection for the mouth, nose and eyes when caring for patients potentially infected with SARS-CoV-2.
  • The virus that causes COVID-19 is very likely susceptible to the same alcohol- and bleach-based disinfectants that ophthalmologists commonly use to disinfect ophthalmic instruments and office furniture. To prevent SARS-CoV-2 transmission, the same disinfection practices already used to prevent office-based spread of other viral pathogens are recommended before and after every patient encounter.

My layman interpretation of this is that whatever the virus comes in contact with gets messed up. COVID-19 in your eye...? Pinkeye. COVID-19 up your nose...? Loss of smell. I'm also guessing that it may take a threshold amount of the virus to do any of these. Obviously don't freak out the minute something doesn't smell right or your eye gets itchy. It's also allergy season so try and remain measured.

NHale

Oct 25, 2017
The numbers in Portugal are definitely fake. No trust in them whatsoever.

First it was the official reported death in Azores that never happened after all. Then it was the total numbers of deaths that had to be fixed a couple of hours later after people started counting them... Today another magical thing happened, there are 15 confirmed cases in Madeira, yesterday there were 16 confirmed cases. Poor DGS intern having to guess numbers every morning...

EDIT - Even worse the total of cases with a negative result actually decreased from yesterday to today (Incredible!) from 16569 to 16568. Absolute joke. And nobody in the press notices this things?

Thebox

Dec 26, 2019

Yeah,it sucks we can't test more people. I had a patient in their 90's with fever, cough, SOB and negative for influenza, pneumonia on chest x-ray but admitting Doc did not want to test. Said that it was most likely bacterial. Which it may be, but hell wouldn't hurt to know so the patient can at least be on isolation precautions until proven negative for the safety of everyone else.

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017

First it was the official reported death in Azores that never happened after all. Then it was the total numbers of deaths that had to be fixed a couple of hours later after people started counting them... Today another magical thing happened, there are 15 confirmed cases in Madeira, yesterday there were 16 confirmed cases. Poor DGS intern having to guess numbers every morning...
At least the regional department of health of the Azores has been doing good work, the daily reports have been very informative.
The regional government has now arranged for two hotels in the region (one in Terceira and another in São Miguel) to be used exclusively for quarantine.
Since the national government doesn't allow us to close our airways, everyone arriving from outside the Azores will be put on quarantine in one of the hotels for 14 days, doesn't matter if they are residents of the island or tourists.

elty

Oct 31, 2017
I think she was referring to "mild" infection statistics.
I guess when people see "mild", they usually think you will be sick for a few days, but still able to maintain some functioning and does not require too much assistance.

In reality, it looks like mild can range from everything between "no symptoms" to "you can't move but won't die immediately without a ventilator".

The most concerning is how the hospital just kicked him out and then he had to take a taxi. This is just a recipe for disasters.

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Thanks to the internet I just remembered that Trump said Walmart parking lots would be testing centers. That hasn't happened. Add it to the pile of lies.

kess

Oct 27, 2017
With the fog that seems to be setting in regarding results, I wouldn't at all be surprised if future researchers are forced to extrapolate the numbers of deaths off the usual rate.

Some dude at the Times is probably doing this right now.

BahamutPT

Oct 28, 2017

EDIT - Even worse the total of cases with a negative result actually decreased from yesterday to today (Incredible!) from 16569 to 16568. Absolute joke. And nobody in the press notices this things?

Yeah, the report on their website is very different from the one posted on Twitter (which should be the one closer to the actual numbers). But the fact that they still haven't bothered to fix the website says a lot.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago aldermen say on social media that city's Lakefront Trail, parks and beaches closed

The city's Lakefront Trail, parks and beaches are closed, Chicago aldermen said in messages to constituents and social media posts.
Lakefront Ald. Harry Osterman announced the move in an email to constituents.

"This includes parkland east of Marine Drive, as well as Berger Park," Osterman said. "This order has been put in place to ensure social distancing between individuals and to help reduce the spread of COVID-19."
North Side Ald. Andre Vasquez, 40th, also put out an advisory on Twitter saying the lakefront is closed starting at 8 a.m. Thursday "due to people disregarding social distancing measures."

It's unclear whether all city parks were closed or just the ones along the lakefront.

"Everyone regrets that we have to do this, but these next two weeks are critical to curb the spread of this disease," Smith said. "Unfortunately, one person's inadvertent contact, through no intentional fault of their own, is another person's case of coronavirus."

www.chicagotribune.com

As Illinois sees largest daily increase in coronavirus cases, Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot bans contact sports; closes popular city parks, beaches and trails

The city’s lakefront trail, parks and beaches are closed, Chicago aldermen said in messages to constituents and social media posts.

elty

Oct 31, 2017
Ontario Canada reported 170 new cases. 70% higher than yesterday and we are restricting testing to only a few types of people.

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago aldermen say on social media that city's Lakefront Trail, parks and beaches closed

www.chicagotribune.com

As Illinois sees largest daily increase in coronavirus cases, Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot bans contact sports; closes popular city parks, beaches and trails

The city’s lakefront trail, parks and beaches are closed, Chicago aldermen said in messages to constituents and social media posts.
Not surprised after this picture came out yesterday:

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
My doctor emailed me to setup a zoom video call today. Dunno what's that going to accomplish. My sister who was directly exposed to the virus keeps getting turned away from testing sites because she's not old enough. Both of us have been feeling worse. Good times.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina decided to go with a "let's reduce testing to even lower numbers" strategy.

Our largest counties aren't being forthcoming with any of the data either. I fear things are a lot worse here than we know.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Living in a hot bed of infection, it's been obviously scary, we've been holed up for almost two weeks now. The first weekend we were way more careless, we went out to dinner on that Friday night per usual, we went to my in-laws on Sunday for sunday dinner. But, started on that Monday was when everything really changed around here. School closures were in full effect, we took our daughter out of daycare -- which closed days later -- and we holed up in the house for what we knew would be at least 3 weeks, until at least first week of April when schools were poised to re-open. School delays have been pushed back to early May, now, but we'd all be shocked if kids went back before the end of the school year, ~June 20 or whenever. It's not happening.

Two weeks ago I didn't know how we'd do this for two weeks, but every day it's gotten easier to adjust, and able to take a step back and look at the history of this. This graph, in particular, is going to be one of those things that we're going to look at for all time:

8o2AQUw.png

FOr the next 100+ years anytime somebody looks back at unemployment rate numbers, there's going to be this spike for Q1/Q2/Q3 2020, and for all time graphs are going to point to it and say: "Coronvirus Outbreak, 2020" or something similar. Like, today we might look at unemployment graphs and have indicators that say something like "Black Monday, 1929, Great Depression" or something, or "Panic of 1837" for financial graphs or something. "World War 2," "9/11," etc. But this will dwarf them all, numbers wise. People are facing serious challenges, and I'm worried about the future, but for me it helps my mental health to take a step back and look at broad changes over time, it neutralizes the affect of the dire circumstances we're facing - for me.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

that doesn't souunds right...
www.kare11.com

KARE 11 Investigates: Rural hospitals facing COVID-19 ICU bed shortage

Small hospitals were already financially stretched. The outbreak will make that worse

Scrolling over the Map Hennepin has 311, Olmsted has 218...

Hmm. maybe many of those are already occupied? He said 243 available ICU beds at yesterdays presser

wjon.com

Walz: Minnesota Has a Total of 243 ICU Beds

For the first time, Minnesota Governor Tim Walz is giving us a clear picture of why it is important to slow the spread of COVID-19. He says, as of Tuesday, there have been 262 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Minnesota.

kttc.com

Mayo doctor weighs in on Gov. Walz's assessment of COVID-19 situation

The Minnesota Department of Health has tested nearly 6,000 people who've experienced COVID-19 symptoms.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting video

edition.cnn.com

Why the Covid-19 death rate in Germany is so low | CNN

While Germany has some of the highest confirmed Covid-19 cases in the world, the death rate remains fairly low. CNN's Fred Pleitgen reports on Germany's response to the outbreak.

Was just wondering why the german death rate/hospitilization rate was so low.
If it truly comes down to testing then its interesting to compare the death rate vs the confirmed cases.

Like for example if you took the death rate in germany and applied it the death rate in Italy you would get 13 million confirmed cases.
I know there are tons of other variables to that such as age of population, and quality of health care but I think when all is said and done the numbers should

I've long suspected that
a) This has been circulating longer than people think
b) For a lot of people symptoms are so minor that they may not even know they have it or would just right it off as a cold.

To me the best way to figure out how many people could actually be infected is to compare death rates because confirmed cases is a direct result of testing which varies drastically from country to country

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Miraculously my friend who has it in the hospital is doing well. The doctor had originally said his chances didn't look good-they had him on a ventilator and a medically induced coma-but now he is 95% oxygenated and is on heavy sedation. These past few days have been rough and I honestly thought he wasn't going to make it.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I guess when people see "mild", they usually think you will be sick for a few days, but still able to maintain some functioning and does not require too much assistance.

In reality, it looks like mild can range from everything between "no symptoms" to "you can't move but won't die immediately without a ventilator".

The most concerning is how the hospital just kicked him out and then he had to take a taxi. This is just a recipe for disasters.

Yep, this is what worries me too. I'm a "relatively healthy person who exercises regularly." My impression of "mild" or "not severe" symptoms was ... Y'know, a nagging flu that would keep me from work 1 or 2 days in the past, or an annoying weeze and cough for a few days, "ah damn i can't play basketball for 2 weeks or go for a run..." sort of thing, or maybe "Eh, still got this lingering chest cold 10 days later..."

The truth is, "mild symptoms" can be body aches that make you bed ridden, painful headaches, chest pressure and asthma conditions, a persistent unrelenting cough, fevers into the 103+ range, breathlessness making it hard to talk, go to the bathroom, walk up stairs, get out of bed. In circumstances before I was in my mid-30s, these would be things I'd worry about but not be overly concerned over... "I'll be very sick for a few days." But I have a toddler. My biggest worry now is what happens if I wake up in the middle of the night unable to breath, my wife is severely ill, and we have a 20mos old. We can't call for help, my 70+ year old parents can't be exposed. My 40+ year old immunocompromised sisters can't be exposed. My wife is like Chris Traeger from Parks & rec... Her body is a microchip, finely tuned, in perfect physical conditional, but colds per her on her ass for days. When my wife has gotten sick in the past, I've always just picked up dad-duty, she'll sleep off the sickness for 1 or 2 days, then be abck at it, and I'll be primary care giver for those ~48 hours and then it'll msotly be back to normal a day or two later. When I get sick I'm usually the kind of person to shrug it off or not have it really disrupt me, like I'll be sick and not feel good, I'll go to bed at 8PM and try to sleep the whole night but ... with this, if I have lung duress, as someone who struggles with Asthma for my whole life, then... I don't know what we'll do.

I don't know what we'll do, and that's my greatest anxiety. It's the thing hanging over me.

At first I was a little caloused like, "Eh, if I get it, I'll quarantine for 2 weeks and get it over with, at least then I should be immune... We'll spend a lot of time on the couch watching disney+ instead of walking the dog..." but then I started reading first hand what the virus can do, and my mindset completely shifted... Like, I still have to carry my daughter up and down stairs, still have to change her diaper, still have to carry her to her crib, feed her, prepare meals, give baths, I have to be present with her.

ANd, of course, god forbid she gets sick. It's a mental headspace I'm not really willing to go.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Miraculously my friend who has it in the hospital is doing well. The doctor had originally said his chances didn't look good-they had him on a ventilator and a medically induced coma-but now he is 95% oxygenated and is on heavy sedation. These past few days have been rough and I honestly thought he wasn't going to make it.

Care to share how old your friend is, and any other known health concerns?

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
I've long suspected that
a) This has been circulating longer than people think
b) For a lot of people symptoms are so minor that they may not even know they have it or would just right it off as a cold.
Seems likely, yeah. In an NPR article, an Italian doctor talked about seeing strange severe cases of pneumonia back in November and December -- and 20% of cases might show no symptoms whatsoever.

13 million cases doesn't sound quite right though, wouldn't it be about 1.5 million?

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone

That's really great to hear.

Chaos17

Oct 27, 2017
France
Promised to give you guys an update here from Germany. I didn't get a Coronavirus test because I only showed mild-middle strong symptoms and not all matched Corona (a strong chest pain when breathing, headache, swallowing pain, feeling super weak). My doctor would have liked to test me but he couldn't due to limited capacities here. I was then treated with antibiotics to start from an absolute worst case of a bacterial infection of the chest, lungs and throat. I feel better now a six days after the first symptoms showed strongly. However, each morning I still wake up in pain and with the feeling that something is stomping on my chest, making it hard to breathe for a couple minutes. I had a similair pain spike throughout the day but those have largely stopped now. Some nights were ROUGH. It's very strange.

I hope I will continuously keep getting better. I have read that Corona does come back for a few final rough days, so I'll continue to be wary IF I have it.

The one thing I did not like about all of this is that I was not physically examined at all. I understand that giving sick leaves to patients is supposed to protect medical staff. However, if - as my doctor says - Corona is not likely, why wouldn't I be examined to find a proper treatment? I sure feel better now but I'll likely never know what caused the disease.
I am sorry for you that you got turned away, specially when Germany seems to test a lot from the recent news :(

I am happy for your friend that he got better.
It must have been though for both of you.

Yatahaze

Jun 17, 2018
Yep, this is what worries me too. I'm a "relatively healthy person who exercises regularly." My impression of "mild" or "not severe" symptoms was ... Y'know, a nagging flu that would keep me from work 1 or 2 days in the past, or an annoying weeze and cough for a few days, "ah damn i can't play basketball for 2 weeks or go for a run..." sort of thing, or maybe "Eh, still got this lingering chest cold 10 days later..."

The truth is, "mild symptoms" can be body aches that make you bed ridden, painful headaches, chest pressure and asthma conditions, a persistent unrelenting cough, fevers into the 103+ range, breathlessness making it hard to talk, go to the bathroom, walk up stairs, get out of bed. In circumstances before I was in my mid-30s, these would be things I'd worry about but not be overly concerned over... "I'll be very sick for a few days." But I have a toddler. My biggest worry now is what happens if I wake up in the middle of the night unable to breath, my wife is severely ill, and we have a 20mos old. We can't call for help, my 70+ year old parents can't be exposed. My 40+ year old immunocompromised sisters can't be exposed. My wife is like Chris Traeger from Parks & rec... Her body is a microchip, finely tuned, in perfect physical conditional, but colds per her on her ass for days. When my wife has gotten sick in the past, I've always just picked up dad-duty, she'll sleep off the sickness for 1 or 2 days, then be abck at it, and I'll be primary care giver for those ~48 hours and then it'll msotly be back to normal a day or two later. When I get sick I'm usually the kind of person to shrug it off or not have it really disrupt me, like I'll be sick and not feel good, I'll go to bed at 8PM and try to sleep the whole night but ... with this, if I have lung duress, as someone who struggles with Asthma for my whole life, then... I don't know what we'll do.

I don't know what we'll do, and that's my greatest anxiety. It's the thing hanging over me.

At first I was a little caloused like, "Eh, if I get it, I'll quarantine for 2 weeks and get it over with, at least then I should be immune... We'll spend a lot of time on the couch watching disney+ instead of walking the dog..." but then I started reading first hand what the virus can do, and my mindset completely shifted... Like, I still have to carry my daughter up and down stairs, still have to change her diaper, still have to carry her to her crib, feed her, prepare meals, give baths, I have to be present with her.

ANd, of course, god forbid she gets sick. It's a mental headspace I'm not really willing to go.

I'm in the same headspace. I'm a stay at home with 16 month old twins, my wife is working from home but in meetings literally all day so I'm still on my own. If either of us get it, we will be screwed. The boys kick my ass when I'm feeling healthy if I have to care for them while sick I basically just wish for sweet death because it's awful.