• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
UK company has developed a relatively cheap swab-based test (no blood pricks) that can get results in 30 minutes without a laboratory required.

www.lancaster.ac.uk

UK scientists develop new rapid smart testing device for coronavirus - Lancaster University

Scientists have developed a new smart testing device for the coronavirus (CoVID-19).

For 100 pounds or approximately $122 US, you get a hardware kit that can process 6 tests at once, and each individual test only costs about $8 US.

I know there are test kits being touted that get results in like 10 minutes but those are blood-based (like a glucose reader) and aren't as accurate as a swab method I believe.

But all current swap methods I've seen require results to go back and process at a lab.

It would make a lot of sense to get these into communities and have people drop off tests weekly I think.

Hopefully it pans out, still has to be produced and tested properly in the field first. I would be happy to have a regular test if that's what it took to know for sure I don't have it and we can keep track of infections more effectively. Sadly it seems like this still has a way to go and we don't know for sure if it'll work (If I'm reading this properly that is).

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017

Another 2 weeks of waiting. Massive disaster incoming. Expecting a much worse situation than 2008 / 2011 shitshow.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I scrolled through the stations and they are all showing his speech. I'm just going to read with law and order in the background but I thought some networks just reported they won't show his news conferences anymore

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017

Another 2 weeks of waiting. Massive disaster incoming. Expecting a much worse situation than 2008 / 2011 shitshow.

Germany's unwillingness to commit to massive stimulus is baffling. They're basically pushing Europe into another recession. Even Trump, evil geriatric that he is, understands that governments need to pushing liquidity in the system right now.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Watching Trump presser now. I dont know why they're even showing it in the UK. Trump is irrelevant. Any help given by the US is despite him. He's a stuck record at this presser, throwing out the same few predictable adlibs, and then inevitably going off script and undoing everything he did just say by telling people it's nearly over.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully it pans out, still has to be produced and tested properly in the field first. I would be happy to have a regular test if that's what it took to know for sure I don't have it and we can keep track of infections more effectively. Sadly it seems like this still has a way to go and we don't know for sure if it'll work (If I'm reading this properly that is).

Yeah lets hope. Hopefully other companies could rapidly also come online creating the tech, it doesn't sound like the technology is anything all that fancy.

If it does work, maybe they could do a setup where a community buys 2-3 machines + a bunch of tests.

You go get tested every 1-2 days and receive a gov't validated card that lets you go out and access places like malls, restaurants, theaters, gyms, etc. And all people getting on/off planes should be a mandatory test.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure why I've found myself tuning into these every day...

I'm not even American...

Same here, it's at 10:30am here in New Zealand and we're in lockdown so there's not much to do.

I have it so lucky here, our government actually cares about people first, and is being genuine and informative about the challenges we're facing.

It's like watching an alternate universe when I watch this guy speak.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of progress is being made, yet deaths are increasing daily. We will totally have this beat by Easter.

Sep 14, 2019
This is the first time I've actually paid attention to what he's saying.

What the fuck is he talking about?

He seriously sounds like he's half asleep.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Germany blocking now the "Corona bonds" might be the biggest tactical mistake in a long time. There are times when you have to show some flexibility if you pretend to be on the same side with the others and now would be that time.

Engell

Oct 28, 2017
unfortunately I'm starting to see "stories" left and right from people who think the current restrictions are to much in Denmark.
not from normal people, but seems to come from people with alternative motives aka. money and politics.
fucking sad, unfortunately media seems to be giving them a voice...

everyone should stand together by keeping distance, and unfortunately it needs to for longer than most greedy people expect.
Also observed that the younger generations are already starting to forget the rules and are not keeping distances to people etc.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
Not sure if it's been discussed but how is it possible that Mexico has <500 cases? That's got to be a product of under-reporting and/or under-testing, right?

They are deliberately under-testing, and they're following their own narrative. They are so delusional they even set specific deadlines for when the country will move onto new phases of the epidemic. It's insane and mind boggling to experience it happening in real time. What's worse: Lots of people believe what the Health Secretary says every night, which is nothing but a bunch of gaslighting attempts at keeping them calm.

Mexico could turn into a nightmare, but fortunately, a lot of people were already practicing social distancing for quite some time.

Rebel1

Oct 25, 2017
This is the first time I've actually paid attention to what he's saying.

What the fuck is he talking about?

He seriously sounds like he's half asleep.
tenor.gif

Oct 25, 2017

StonerSage

Banned
Sep 22, 2019
They are about to try and steamroll this thing, deaths in the millions to put money in the pockets of all his friends.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany's unwillingness to commit to massive stimulus is baffling. They're basically pushing Europe into another recession. Even Trump, evil geriatric that he is, understands that governments need to pushing liquidity in the system right now.

Here's one of the reasons:

twitter.com

Christophe Barraud🛢 on Twitter

“🇦🇹 🇪🇺 #AUSTRIA'S KURZ SAYS HE REJECTS MUTUALIZATIONS OF EU DEBT - BBG *KURZ SAYS ESM AND EMERGENCY LOANS ARE SUFFICIENT INSTRUMENTS”

There're systems already in place and all of europe must stand behind the idea to do more than that. Austria seems to not want to do more right now.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
If he really randomly brought up Tom Brady, then his brain is mush for real. From earlier:

Gov. Inslee clashed with Trump during a call with governors, pleading with him to take more dramatic action to secure medical supplies. After Trump said he was ready to be the "backup" for states, Inslee said, "We don't need a backup. We need a Tom Brady."