• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Yields on 10y bonds on Italy are in the ~1% range, Spain ~0.5%. Eurobonds or the lack thereof are of ~zero damage to Spain and Italy.
The problem is not now, its once this is finished and the debt of Spain/Italy is so high that the yields skyrocket. Most rating agencies are already docking points to Spain... and that is before any of the heavy hitting debt stuff actually happens.
The solution as of now is entering the same mechanism that was created during the Euro crisis... which has the stigma of that rescue and comes with strings attached that basically forces the country to enter into austerity... Austerity that coincidentially ends up damaging the Social Safety nets such as healthcare, huh.

unlimited Eurobonds without a fiscal Union is suicide.

You may see Germany, Austria, Netherland, Finland, etc. blocking Eurobonds. But the other side of the coin is, that Spain, Italy, Greece, etc. are blocking fiscal responsibility and oversight mechanisms.
A country could double its debt with Eurobonds and the EU could do nothing.

The failure to make Eurobonds is not the problem. The failure to make a fiscal union is.
Spain, Italy and Greece are following the fiscal responsibility and oversight mechanisms that were set up since the Euro crisis. Heck a ton of them put them in their constitution.

2PiR

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
How come no reporter asks him about him downplaying numbers just few weeks ago. From 14 people infected to 0.

Frankfurter

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is not now, its once this is finished and the debt of Spain/Italy is so high that the yields skyrocket. Most rating agencies are already docking points to Spain... and that is before any of the heavy hitting debt stuff actually happens.
The solution as of now is entering the same mechanism that was created during the Euro crisis... which has the stigma of that rescue and comes with strings attached that basically forces the country to enter into austerity... Austerity that coincidentially ends up damaging the Social Safety nets such as healthcare, huh.

Yields won't skyrocket, because the ECB will - again - do 'whatever it takes'.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that these press conferences just abruptly turn into corporate ads so quickly is just
why does this seem so normal
because it's not

Jan 31, 2018
In the Middle East, 184 new Coronavirus cases have been reported today in Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Lebanon, Oman and Kuwait.

The Saudi health ministry announced 112 new cases on Thursday, pushing the total number of positive cases to 1,012 in the kingdom. A third death has also been reported.

In Lebanon, health officials said 35 more patients have been tested positive for Covid-19, brining the total number to 368.

The country will will begin an overnight shutdown from 7pm to 5am, with some exceptions to be announced later, as it steps up measures to combat coronavirus, the information minister, Manal Abdel Samad, said on Thursday, according to Al Arabia.

Bahrain announced 14 new Coronavirus cases, bringing the total number to 204.

Health officials in Oman said 10 new cases had been confirmed in the country, pushing the total to 109.

Five cases are linked with having close contact with people already confirmed to have Covid-19. Two cases are related to travel to Britain and three more are under investigation, the country's health ministry said in a statement.

"With our commitment to health isolation and social distancing, we will ourselves, our families and our community from the spread of coronavirus," Oman's health ministry said in a statement.

Kuwait announced 13 new Coronavirus cases in the last 24 hours, increasing the total number of infections to 208.

The new cases include two Kuwaiti nationals who traveled to Saudi Arabia, two who travelled to Egypt, and one who travelled to France, according to the Kuwaiti health ministry.
www.theguardian.com

Global cases pass 500,000 – as it happened

Spain death toll passes 4,000; IMF urges G20 to double emergency funding; US now has more cases than any other country. This blog is now closed

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Today he didn't take any question from Kaitlan Collins because she often asks him these kind of questions.
And that's how they get to mostly play the white house press corps, if they ask questions they don't like they don't get to ask anymore questions and maybe more importantly, they stop giving them quotes on deep background, which is how most of them file stories.

Astior

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 15, 2020

Spain, Italy and Greece are following the fiscal responsibility and oversight mechanisms that were set up since the Euro crisis. Heck a ton of them put them in their constitution.

I am quite sure that if states from northern eu keep this shit up Italy as a funding member will burn EU to the ground. Just think about the backtrack bce had to do after our President (which is not the prime minster but actually way more representative of the entire country) respond to the initial response of the bce. Germany for all its merits still rely heavily on export and would suffer a lot if it cause the southern state economies to crash and burn.

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone see this video? Sorry if already posted. I was like wtf

She had no insurance.

Her Treatment Cost $34,972.

ejoshua

Oct 27, 2017
For the past few days I've been wondering about Birx and the answers she's been giving. She used to be one of the two I would tune into that I trusted. I want her to be right so much, but there's something that makes me doubt the things she says now and it's frustrating because I relied on her.

Hopefully I'm just reading too much into it and she's just trying to reassure a panicked nation, but the thought hit me earlier in the week.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Did anyone see this video? Sorry if already posted. I was like wtf

She had no insurance.

Her Treatment Cost $34,972.

People are going to avoid treatment, people are going to get financially ruined. This need to be made free for everyone.
And short of that, because I have no expectation from congress really, hospitals must stop with that bullshit of charging people without insurance more.
This is indefensible garbage that I have no idea why it's even legal.

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
Dr. Fauci saying he's confident knowing how the virus works that they will find a treatment within the next month or so that provides at least half- or full- protection toward the progression of the virus is the good news I needed to hear. Here's to hoping that comes to fruition.

Pockets

Oct 27, 2017
How come no reporter asks him about him downplaying numbers just few weeks ago. From 14 people infected to 0.

Or the million tests by the end of the week. Or then the 4 million tests by the end of the following week. Or the drive through testing at Walmart. Or the 50 other lies he tells each and every day...

greepoman

Oct 26, 2017
Dr. Fauci saying he's confident knowing how the virus works that they will find a treatment within the next month or so that provides at least half- or full- protection toward the progression of the virus is the good news I needed to hear. Here's to hoping that comes to fruition.
That's one hell of a prediction...the only way I could see that being true is they have something that's already promising.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I'll believe it when I see it. The last thing I want is for our moron president to fat track some drug without proper testing that ends up not working (or even worse, killing people).

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
3-4 weeks if you have a direct deposit on your 2018 or 2019 tax returns, a bit longer than that if you need a check mailed out. Assuming the bill passes the house tomorrow and is signed by trump.

the bill hasn't passed yet and it will be at least several weeks after that -- more if you're getting a paper check

*sigh* Why do they act like this is THEIR money, I feel and they just don't want to give it up? Just pay the people...

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
That's one hell of a prediction...the only way I could see that being true is they have something that's already promising.
Isn't finding a treatment... and getting it through testing and mass production quite different?

Like I could totally see them finding something that does that within the next month, but it would be a few more months after that before anyone but the rich and famous would have access to it.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Wait what is this?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
*sigh* Why do they act like this is THEIR money, I feel and they just don't want to give it up? Just pay the people...
While they should have moved faster in general with passing a bill like this... realistically 3 weeks turn around between it being approved and people having money is a fairly good turn around.

we are talking a lot of people and a lot of money, and it will require a lot of verification of details and what not.

The bigger question will be how fast the extended unemployment takes effect as that could potentially reach people who need it much faster.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
oh fuck oh fuck

my uncle lives with my 90 year old grandma, he's her care taker. She is bedridden, she can't get up anymore for the past year, so he feeds her, bathes, her, gets her out of bed for exercise, etc. He touches her all over.

We think he might have the corona virus. He has all the symptoms right now, they've just started flaring up. My uncle works with homeless people at a shelter and has been helping since the virus started to really explode in the US, and thus has been around lots of people unprotected lately.

This is a nightmare scenario, if my grandma gets this, which if my uncle has it she certainly will because he touches her every day, she's going to die for sure. Oh my god I'm so fucking upset right now.

plow

Oct 28, 2017

Holy shit, isn't that huge news?

edit: Guess he meant before the extensive testing