• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Azraes

Oct 28, 2017
London
If you want to talk about the situation in China, they still haven't eliminated the risk of asymptomatic carriers in attempts to restart the economy.

www.theguardian.com

Chinese citizens fear catching coronavirus from 'silent' carriers

Asymptomatic people may be infecting others despite officials saying risk of this is low

As for resuming/restarting the economy:
There's an increase in orders to German Engineering firms coming from Chinese customers and while things are moving slowly based on polling info reuters expects that the PMI can rise to 45 this month.

Amir

Jun 7, 2018
Iran:
3186 new cases
117 new deaths
Total cases 41495
Total deaths 2757
3511 with critical condition

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
How Singapore fought against Coronavirus
www.dw.com

Lessons from Singapore – DW – 03/26/2020

Europe's citizens are paying for their leaders' late reaction to the coronavirus outbreak with their personal freedom. Their governments could have learned from Singapore, writes Christina zur Nedden.

Although Singapore is vulnerability as a densely populated global hub, it has only 404 active coronavirus cases and two deaths to date. Emerging just in time for Chinese Lunar Year, the novel coronavirus could have proved catastrophic to the tiny city-state. Yet, despite the risk of hurting economic relations with its third biggest trading partner, by February 1 Singapore had already imposed travel restrictions on passengers from China. This contravened the WHO's advisory that travel bans were not necessary at that point.

Still, by mid-February Singapore had recorded over 80 COVID-19 cases, the highest number outside China. Singapore acted quickly by isolating sick people and testing everyone with flu symptoms and pneumonia. Sick people's contacts were traced and then put into quarantine using a "contact tracing method" developed during the SARS epidemic in 2003. This involves meticulous recording of contact data when people enter buildings and interviewing those infected on recent movements.

To summarize, Singapore's success in managing the coronavirus outbreak comes down to three basic ingredients and one big one: closing borders early, rigorous contact tracing, a lot of testing — and SARS acting as a macabre dress rehearsal. These measures allowed public life to go on as normal. All restaurants, malls, schools and offices remain open to date. Hong Kong and Taiwan have similar success stories despite their proximity to China.

No lockdown, not shutdown required. Unfortunately nobody in the west learned.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Portugal:

6408 confirmed cases.
+446 since yesterday.
140 total deaths.
+21since yesterday.

(Considerable decrease in the number of daily cases)

164 people in the ICU.
+26 since yesterday.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Hmm. Interesting. In Portugal, despite obviously the scales being a lot different than in Spain or Italy, any post-mortem exam that is found to be positive for Covid-19 is added to the tally of the Virus. Doesn't matter if it was at home or the hospital.

But again, so far our Health System isn't crumbling. It's probably getting close to it considering the constant rise in ICU cases and low number of recoveries though.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been known for a while. You can see data for some places in Italy that the deaths are much higher than average when taking Just the official count of Covid-19 deaths. The actual toll in Italy is likely easily twice as high as what we see now.

yup, and we will probably experience the same thing here in the US

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
I wonder why Spain has such a high number of recoveries per day compared to Italy. The former is already hitting 2,000 a say while the later struggles to reach a thousand.

In other news, Buhari has ordered 3 of the hardest hit states in Nigeria to lockdown. Regardless of what you think of him, he's doing a decent job here.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
So i saw #FilmYourHospital trending and its what you think it is.. its cultists driving to hospitals and taking pictures outside "proving" that Covid-19 is a hoax. Maybe next theyll start to storm the hospitals like the Bastille but for right now they are only interested in the exteriors.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
So i saw #FilmYourHospital trending and its what you think it is.. its cultists driving to hospitals and taking pictures outside "proving" that Covid-19 is a hoax. Maybe next theyll start to storm the hospitals like the Bastille but for right now they are only interested in the exteriors.
Oh ffs. Why do these sort of numpties always show up.
I can't even grasp what anyone would gain with this "hoax".

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
The current situation in Austria (translated with Google from DerStandard):

"According to data from the Ministry of Health, just over a third of the ventilators are currently free for corona patients, and it is exactly half with the intensive care beds in the hospitals. However, the capacities vary widely from region to region.

A total of 2,584 ventilators are currently available in Austria. Only 908 or 35 percent are free for corona patients (values are from March 27th). The other devices are mainly used for patients with other diseases. It should be noted, however, that the capacities are distributed very differently regionally. In Lower Austria, for example, only 50 of a total of 550 devices (9 percent) are free. Free capacities are also comparatively low in Styria (16 percent) and Vienna (19 percent). The state of Tyrol, which was hit hardest by the crisis, still has 126 of 215 devices free (59 percent). The situation is most relaxed in Upper Austria (70 percent) and Salzburg (82 percent).

Of the intensive care beds in Austria's hospitals, exactly half (1,071 of a total of 2,159) are still available for Covid 19 patients. "

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
If you want to talk about the situation in China, they still haven't eliminated the risk of asymptomatic carriers in attempts to restart the economy.

www.theguardian.com

Chinese citizens fear catching coronavirus from 'silent' carriers

Asymptomatic people may be infecting others despite officials saying risk of this is low

As for resuming/restarting the economy:
There's an increase in orders to German Engineering firms coming from Chinese customers and while things are moving slowly based on polling info reuters expects that the PMI can rise to 45 this month.
China also reclosed all the movie theaters after reopening them suddenly, which is probably another reason the public is fearful over there. They 100% are not being upfront still.

dragonchild

Oct 26, 2017
Found out just now that a friend of mine has it. Statistics are often just statistics, until you know one. . . or become one.

I'm probably not the first y'all have heard from. I certainly won't be the last.

CJohn

Oct 30, 2017
Hmm. Interesting. In Portugal, despite obviously the scales being a lot different than in Spain or Italy, any post-mortem exam that is found to be positive for Covid-19 is added to the tally of the Virus. Doesn't matter if it was at home or the hospital.

But again, so far our Health System isn't crumbling. It's probably getting close to it considering the constant rise in ICU cases and low number of recoveries though.
We have only 43 recovered cases right? It is scary.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
What happens when too many healthcare workers get sick

Your call for students and retired personnel. :)
Generational solidarity full steam.
(btw there's no real need for requisitions, people come by themselves, it's the beauty of the health sector, a lot of people have the heart driven by a strong sense of duty and devotion to their fellow human wellbeing)

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
It makes sense that less developed countries would be more receptive to quarantine; the developing world contends with disease regularly enough for the populace to understand the weight of the situation. Those of us living in more privileged conditions oftentimes lack that perspective.

most of Asia got hit by SARS too, they learned from it

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
www.dw.com

Europe's citizens are paying for their leaders' late reaction to the coronavirus outbreak with their personal freedom. Their governments could have learned from Singapore, writes Christina zur Nedden.

Honestly, this was the outcome I was hoping for back in January. A competent government response resulting in the neurotic people on this forum looking silly. It could have been done. Everyone could be at work or school as usual. But of course not.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
www.dw.com

I've seen articles like this for both Singapore and Taiwan, but I don't think the situation in either place is applicable to the West. Outside of the cultural differences where people are more willing to adapt to social distancing measures, they are smaller countries with smaller borders and they have fewer ports of entry. They also have less air traffic than western countries. Changi, pretty much the only airport in Singapore, is one of the busiest airports in Asia but it doesn't even crack the top 15 busiest in the world, and Singapore's air passenger volume is far lower than most of the western countries getting hit hard(Singapore and Taiwan have much fewer tourists as well).

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, this was the outcome I was hoping for back in January. A competent government response resulting in the neurotic people on this forum looking silly. It could have been done. Everyone could be at work or school as usual. But of course not.
Just as update, it worked until it was 2 or 3 country to be screened, now that it's a world problem cases have tripled the last 2 weeks, most of them coming from uk or us.​
And measure are becoming stricter by the day.​

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
the best thing from all this for me is the home office, I don't want go back anymore. Everything I do @ the office I can do @ my home.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Cough is gone, fever is gone, chills and body aches are gone but sore throat remains, along with post-nasal drip and sinus pressure.

I guess that's that, then.

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
the best thing from all this for me is the home office, I don't want go back anymore. Everything I do @ the office I can do @ my home.
I really hope lots of us get to carry on working from home more when things return to "normal". It would be great for peoples well-being, as well as the planet potentially saving companies lots of money too.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I'm sure UK is the same. Daily stats qualified as covering those who died in hospital only.

In France they will try the exercise of adding nursing/care homes tonight... there should be between 10 to 50 more deaths a day (substantial since we are hovering at about 300 deaths a day in the last days (240,231,365,299,319,292)
The software was deployed last week and it has been tested this past weekend.

Ekid

Dec 21, 2017

tenor.gif