• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Disney just posted an update stating they will start doing lay offs for executive, salaried and non union on on April 19.

I just started working at Disney early December as a part timer applied to be a member of the union.

As for Universal Studios, I've been working there for almost 4 years. I don't know when they will start doing the lay offs.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the US and my partner and I went to do curbside pickup for groceries earlier. We were wearing masks and I didn't see a single other person wearing masks, either in cars or on foot. We have a few n95 masks leftover from a home improvement project and I'm so glad we do.

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
Speaking of n95s, I found a 3-pack in my garage from some DIY work a while back. Is there a standard way to disinfect them after using them to make them last? Or a certain amount of time that needs to pass before any viral accumulation on it is dead?

I only go out for groceries, so I figure I'll use a mask once every 1-2 weeks.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
The Stockholm region is activating the special crisis collective bargaining agreement

It increases standard full time working hours for hospital staff working in intensive care units to 48 hours per week (in contrast to 40 hours I think) and increases wages per hour to 220% of their normal level.

Good move imo

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Speaking of n95s, I found a 3-pack in my garage from some DIY work a while back. Is there a standard way to disinfect them after using them to make them last? Or a certain amount of time that needs to pass before any viral accumulation on it is dead?

Lol, yeah we had a package of painter N95 masks in the garage.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
The Stockholm region is activating the special crisis collective bargaining agreement

It increases standard full time working hours for people working in health-care to 48 hours (in contrast to 40 hours I think) and increases wages per hour to 220% of their normal level.

Good move imo

Yeah some local hospitals are giving hazard pay to their nursing staff that deal directly with corona patients. It's good.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT

I'm curious about this too, my step dad and brother in law gave me a bunch since they had some leftover from a project they were working on.

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018
Nurses and physicians with the necessary qualifications are scarce and this is the biggest issue.

But yeah, I love to complain about Germany's health care system and the way most hospitals are run - and us physicians have it a lot better than the nursing staff - still, this makes me really proud of our health care system and the way the hospitals and labs all over the country are connected to work together in an efficient way when it matters.

The number of people in need of intensive care treatment will go up. But so far it is going well considering the circumstances.

Yeah,there are problems in our healthcare system, but this pandemic has really shown how rock solid it actually is. Between ICU beds,ventilators but also the insane amount of testing per capita from the get go has been nothing short of amazing. While we are just at the beginning and will sure face problems it sort of was an eye opener about our healthcare capabilities.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People who have N95s. I'm begging you to donate them to healthcare workers. There are people sitting inches away from our loved ones faces, putting breathing tubes down their throats for 12 hours a day and they don't have enough masks. They are reusing the same one to the point of failure and beyond.

I have friends that are literally breaking down in tears before shifts because they don't have the right protective gear and are having to decide if they want to risk their lives and save people or refuse to work.

Please donate them and use a simpler mask for yourself. Masks do help, but the best ones should go to the people who are most at risk. Or keep one and reuse it and give the rest away. A normal mask will do almost as much for most of our lives and we owe it to them.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
People who have N95s. I'm begging you to donate them to healthcare workers. There are people sitting inches away from our loved ones faces, putting breathing tubes down their throats for 12 hours a day and they don't have enough masks. They are reusing the same one to the point of failure and beyond.

I have friends that are literally breaking down in tears before shifts because they don't have the right protective gear and are having to decide if they want to risk their lives and save people or refuse to work.

Please donate them and use a simpler mask for yourself. Masks do help, but the best ones should go to the people who are most at risk. Or keep one and reuse it and give the rest away. A normal mask will do almost as much for most of our lives and we owe it to them.
Good advice, and I agree health care workers need them way more than any of us do. That said I know the local health care system here in saskatchewan announced here that they will refuse any PPE donations that are not sealed. so check with your local hospital and if they will take before taking a trip to them.

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Good advice, and I agree health care workers need them way more than any of us do. That said I know the local health care system here in saskatchewan announced here that they will refuse any PPE donations that are not sealed. so check with your local hospital and if they will take before taking a trip to them.
If not, I know there are medical professionals here on Resetera that would likely take them personally if you mailed them to them.

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nope. I'll link the source in a second.

utrf.tennessee.edu

Information and FAQs - charged filtration material performance after various sterilization techniques. - University of Tennessee Research Foundation

Dr. Peter P. Tsai, inventor of the electrostatic charging technology that makes the filter media of medical face masks and N95 respirators, answers FAQs and provides information on performance and protection of masks against COVID-19.

As indicated in Figure 1, masks can be treated in hot air at 70°C for 30 minutes, and this process can be repeated multiple times without a noticeable loss in FE. But be sure to suspend the masks in the hot air without contacting or nearing a metal surface. The respirator can be hung in the oven using a wood or a plastic clip on the edge of a non-breathing zone or put on a wood grill at least 6" away from any metal surface. Hold the edge of non-breathing zone when doffing the mask, and do not touch the inside part of the mask because your hands might become contaminated at this time if the mask was. After donning the masks, wash your hands thoroughly using soap and water for at least 20 seconds according to CDC guidelines.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I would totally count that as a large gathering.

Yea neighbors behind our house seem to have people over consistently every night when the weather is warm.

Our local hospitals including my wife's will not take any masks donated

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Man, some Americans are truly special:

NwAThpc.jpg

#FakePandemic? How do people like this exist in a developed country?

Stuggernaut

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle, WA, USA
My work is paying us 1.4x our hourly rate for anyone still able to work (Essential). Coupled with 2 weeks of paid time off if you are not comfortable working, and 10 days unpaid on top of that should you need more time. I think it's a pretty nice setup and appreciate it a lot.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
My work is paying us 1.4x our hourly rate for anyone still able to work (Essential). Coupled with 2 weeks of paid time off if you are not comfortable working, and 10 days unpaid on top of that should you need more time. I think it's a pretty nice setup and appreciate it a lot.

I get $300 some time in May if I don't call out sick for 2 months.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Anyways things are looking under control here in Costa Rica... Some idiots are still thinking the government is overreacting, and going out...
It seems we met be close to the peak and things will get a little bit closer to normal by the end of April... I hope at least.

Now, Nicaragua is what I am worried about...

#FakePandemic? How do people like this exist in a developed country?
There is a saying in Latam.. the US is s third world country who won the lottery...

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
Figure this is as good a place to post as anything:

So I'm currently on day 4 of hospitalization for my mild-until-it-wasn't infection nearly killing me, and from everything I've been able to research and talk to nurses and doctors, what nearly did me in does not seem to be a well-understood symptom (and indeed, I had to put up repeated arguments until they checked my vitals). So, posting for everyone's benefit.

My blood oxygen saturation levels cratered this weekend, talking like sub 70%. By miraculous happenstance, we had a monitor at home (this isn't a typical device to have lying around), so I was able to get checked in as soon as I suspected I was having symptoms of hypoxemia (for me it was shit like my cat being the wrong color). The problem that's arising is that for me and other similarly-presenting cases, people aren't showing the expected symptoms that they are *way* in the danger zone. At sub-70% I shouldn't have been able to string two words together without gasping, or probably been even coherent at all, but everyone I spoke to was incredulous until they took readings. My understanding was that I may actually be the first presentation of this at the hospital.

So for whatever reason, COVID-19 can potentially mask the severity of symptoms for the acute respiratory failure it's causing. If you start showing signs of hypoxemia even as you don't have trouble catching your breath or pain in your chest, get yourself checked out ASAP.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
So a lot of us in work were sent home last saturday, to start a one month break starting on sunday. I just received news that a coworker of us, which was in the same mess hall with many people (me included, but seated apart) that day, had a positive diagnosis this thursday, after having several symptoms.

Just checked with some co-workers who were with her in the mess hall, given that we didn't have any kind of contact other than sitting in the same room. None of us has any symptoms and it's been six days now since that happened. You're supposed to show symptoms in the first three to five days or was it until 14 days? Either we got a god roll with statistics and are asymptomatic, or should I expect coughing and headaches in the next two weeks?

chubigans

Vertigo Gaming Inc.
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

So I'm currently on day 4 of hospitalization for my mild-until-it-wasn't infection nearly killing me, and from everything I've been able to research and talk to nurses and doctors, what nearly did me in does not seem to be a well-understood symptom (and indeed, I had to put up repeated arguments until they checked my vitals). So, posting for everyone's benefit.

My blood oxygen saturation levels cratered this weekend, talking like sub 70%. By miraculous happenstance, we had a monitor at home (this isn't a typical device to have lying around), so I was able to get checked in as soon as I suspected I was having symptoms of hypoxemia (for me it was shit like my cat being the wrong color). The problem that's arising is that for me and other similarly-presenting cases, people aren't showing the expected symptoms that they are *way* in the danger zone. At sub-70% I shouldn't have been able to string two words together without gasping, or probably been even coherent at all, but everyone I spoke to was incredulous until they took readings. My understanding was that I may actually be the first presentation of this at the hospital.

So for whatever reason, COVID-19 can potentially mask the severity of symptoms for the acute respiratory failure it's causing. If you start showing signs of hypoxemia even as you don't have trouble catching your breath or pain in your chest, get yourself checked out ASAP.
I'm glad you're ok, that sounds insane!

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if it's been already posted but today was revealed that the actual first death by the Coronavirus here in Brazil was in January.

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018

Holy shit that sounds terrifying. I'm glad you're doing better!

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Glad you're doing well (given the circumstances of course), Mike. Get better soon.