• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder why. Do they plan on selling it for $299 again for many months next year so don't want to decrease it's perceived value in the eyes of the consumer?

They have a very healthy install base and more heavy hitter exclusives coming next year. At this point they don't need to sell excessive amounts of hardware to deem their sales a success. They need steady sales and strong software. Plus who knows what their game plan for the successor system is. They can price drop once they announce the next system.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
They have a very healthy install base and more heavy hitter exclusives coming next year. At this point they don't need to sell excessive amounts of hardware to deem their sales a success. They need steady sales and strong software. Plus who knows what their game plan for the successor system is. They can price drop once they announce the next system.
So let's say they announce PS5 at the end of 2019. Are they better off keeping a big permanent $100 ps4 slim/Pro price drop until say next November?

julian

Oct 27, 2017
So let's say they announce PS5 at the end of 2019. Are they better off keeping a big permanent $100 ps4 slim/Pro price drop until say next November?

I think there's no point in doing a permanent drop until they announce the next system. The system continues to sell and there's no guarantee sales would be so much better they'd be worth the reduced profit.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I think there's no point in doing a permanent drop until they announce the next system. The system continues to sell and there's no guarantee sales would be so much better they'd be worth the reduced profit.
Good point. Wouldn't it be weird if the ps5 was announced and it turns out to be waaaaay more powerful then the ps4 Pro but they are the same price?! And only €100 more expensive then the slim. Now by the time the ps5 releases it would be more but it's a strange market we now live in.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Wait, shouldn't we have a prediction thread for December at some point ?

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
For me, after november, it would be pretty crazy if PS4 doesn't get outsold by 100% or more by the Switch and 50% or more by Xbox One.

Sony certainly doesn't seem to care by how much they get outsold this month.

This seem very large percentages to be outsold by. Considering all three sold over 1.3m in November, Sony dropping so much relative to the others would be pretty bad.

Did we get rough actuals for HW sales in November?

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
This seem very large percentages to be outsold by. Considering all three sold over 1.3m in November, Sony dropping so much relative to the others would be pretty bad.

Did we get rough actuals for HW sales in November?
Yeah Switch was distant 3rd inNov 2017 then came back at #1 by a wide margin in December as both MS and Sony simply shifted Dec sales to BF November with insane deals so adding both months up shows a much more even match.

For 2018 all 3 were over 1.3m in November and if Switch does 100%+ over PS4 in December it would be a blowout

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
It's gonna be sad if Switch sells "only" 1.9 M units and everyone is disappointed for some reason. Lol
I totally called this. It's a shame that the highest sales month of the generation is somehow seen as dissapointing, but I guess that's the Era hype cycle for ya.

Edit: Oops, I meant to post in the Dec sales thread. Lol