• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
Honestly, the biggest surprise to me is the performance of Xbox of November with only -3% drop compared to previous November when Xbox X was released.

Switch, had amazing increase of 75% yoy, but I was expecting it to be more around 1450k+ atleast.

PS4, definitely was under shipped by Sony at 199$, probably in favor of long term profit that they can make by selling it at 299$.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2.5M?!!? Wow!! That'd be crazy!

There's usually a factor of 2x for Nintendo HW (and especially Switch) going from November to December, but this year November was more inflated due to Cyber Monday not being tracked in December and the MK8DX bundle. So 1.5 -> 2.5 is a good estimate I'd say.

PS4: ~4526K
NSW: ~3861K
XB1: ~3425K

Switch should end up as the best selling platform for the year if it performs as expected, since Sony has no big deals for this month (unless...surprise).

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised that Xbox was able to move so many units with a worse deal on BF this year. Very good performance!

Switch up significantly was to be expected despite Nintendo official PR. Are the units close enough that Switch will be number 1 in revenue? I expected it would be close enough that it may be a PS4 unit and Switch revenue and it looks like it's definitely possible.

PS4 continues to exceed expectations this year despite shortages of the Spidey bundle. Clearly there is still plenty of demand for PS4, especially at $199.

It's becoming a bit cliche, but it really was a great month for everyone. Now, can't wait to see software :)

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
There's usually a factor of 2x for Nintendo HW (and especially Switch) going from November to December, but this year November was more inflated due to Cyber Monday not being tracked in December and the MK8DX bundle. So 1.5 -> 2.5 is a good estimate I'd say.
Wow, that'd be fantastic! Nintendo's handhelds probably have pulled similar or better numbers, but their price point was usually lower than even the most basic Switch sku (with no games).

Oct 25, 2017
What about shortages ? Deals were nice...but...sold out...

There were shortages yea. But the reason it's disappointing result is that they probably could have hit the same number if not higher if they did a less enticing deal but with more stock.

I mean... look at the XB1 result. It's a 100k within the PS4. I don't really get why you'd do such a great bundle, and limit stock so incredibly so.

Zetran

Oct 25, 2017
Why Sony keep limiting their stock?

Why people surprise at X1 if I'm not mistaken they got lots of different bundle to choose from

Oct 25, 2017
There were shortages yea. But the reason it's disappointing result is that they probably could have hit the same number if not higher if they did a less enticing deal but with more stock.

I mean... look at the XB1 result. It's a 100k within the PS4. I don't really get why you'd do such a great bundle, and limit stock so incredibly so.
You have to ask questions like how much money do you lose overall? What are the spending habits of the people buying deals like this?

Yeah, you could have sold more but at what cost? I'd assume Sony is only comfortable with losing what they did with this set amount of PS4 shipped for this deal.

Oct 25, 2017
They won't have the usual grow. Still, it may sell 2.5m but i think is a best case scenario.
Ya gotta have Faith, Arthur. Smash will lead us to +3 Million units.

YOU GOTTA HAVE FAITH, ARTHUR.

41146cdc63ea0cf1.jpg

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Good to see there is still a market for stationary consoles. December is about to be even more down though with Sony doing no deals and MS increase the price of the X1 unlike last year when they kept it the same all holiday.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Why are people disappointed with PS4? Sony could have sold significantly more if they wanted. There was plenty of demand at $199 but Sony was only interested in selling a specific amount at that price.

Considering their overall sales for this year have been up significantly over their projections, I don't think anyone should be disappointed.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Why Sony keep limiting their stock?

Why people surprise at X1 if I'm not mistaken they got lots of different bundle to choose from
Not so much limiting their stock as limiting their bundles sold at massively below cost. And it makes sense. The idea is to bring more people into the ecosystem and get them buying software to make up that profit, but there's a threshold in which selling too many consoles at such a reduced rate actually has a negative effect on that. Sony's been in the game long enough to have a ton of data informing them of where that sweet spot is for losing money on hardware vs gaining it on software.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017

Frankly I think that Spiderman bundle was too good. They would have sold the same amount with just PS4 at $200.

Feb 26, 2018
Sony did not fuck up.
They got the sales they want and now riding the profit train .
Loosing market share to MS and Nintendo is a f in my book. Sony have lots of money so why don't use them to have profits in the long run? Ps4 user this gen is more likely to buy a ps5 next gen. Locking people into the ecosystem should be a priority

Oct 25, 2017
Not so much limiting their stock as limiting their bundles sold at massively below cost. And it makes sense. The idea is to bring more people into the ecosystem and get them buying software to make up that profit, but there's a threshold in which selling too many consoles at such a reduced rate actually has a negative effect on that. Sony's been in the game long enough to have a ton of data informing them of where that sweet spot is for losing money on hardware vs gaining it on software.
And we can't assume all the people buying this deal will make it up in software either.

The PS4 has been on the market for a while now but these people are only just now buying it. As such, I think it is more likely these buyers will be inclined to play Spidey and, for the most part, be done with the PS4. I don't think we should assume all of them will buy Plus, buy a bunch of 1st party games, etc.... I'm sure that will be the case for a certain percentage of them but it may not be a big percentage.

So, it is just finding balance within all the cross between units sold and getting that money back through other means with this particular buyers.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Loosing market share to MS and Nintendo is a f in my book. Sony have lots of money so why don't use them to have profits in the long run? Ps4 user this gen is more likely to buy a ps5 next gen. Locking people into the ecosystem should be a priority

Because locking people into your ecosystem that buying a system cheap is not a given .
Some also most likely not high spending consumers and you don't want to devalued your product to much .
People act like people buying PS+ is a sure bet when over half the user base don't have it.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018

They are already the market leader by a huge margin of 2:1 ww over xbox.
They are a business company and profit is mostly what drives them the most, not losing 100$ profit per console when they in good position.
You could say the same thing for why didn't Switch didn't drop it's price by 100$ and gain more market share , things just doesn't work like that.

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
Welp, I gotta join in with the others who underestimated XB1, those are some crazy numbers.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Heh, I remember calming down people in the PS4 Black Friday deal announcement thread who were throwing out terms like "destroying" and "dominating" the competition. It was always coming down to stock and considering Sony would like to make some profit they were never going to ship a crazy amount* of the bundle.

*2+ million units

Psrock1

Oct 27, 2017
I keep saying this every day. Sony is not worried about console wars, they are concern about money. 1.4 M in Nov is good for them.

Oct 27, 2017
Why are people surprised about Xbox selling the way it has? Xbox before Switch was notorious for getting outsold by Sony all year only to beat Sony in the holidays prompting I believe Greenburg to use that silly "regular season and playoffs" analogy. A rising tide raises all ships. The holidays are just like that. At this point, Sony doesn't care about trying to outsell anyone. They just want the profits and I'm shocked they were able to pass the PS3's LTD in only 5 years and are now knocking on the door of PSX's LTD.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I think people forget that PS4 already has a large install base.

They're banking on software and services sales.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
Sony did not fuck up.
They got the sales they want and now riding the profit train .

Weeeell, they probably could have sold the very same amount of consoles without including Spidey (or selling the bundle at a higher price). OR they really just underestimated demand and did not ship enough of those bundles.

From that point of view PlayStation as a console did extremely well, but Sony could have done a better job.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Why are people surprised about Xbox selling the way it has? Xbox before Switch was notorious for getting outsold by Sony all year only to beat Sony in the holidays prompting I believe Greenburg to use that silly "regular season and playoffs" analogy. A rising tide raises all ships. The holidays are just like that. At this point, Sony doesn't care about trying to outsell anyone. They just want the profits and I'm shocked they were able to pass the PS3's LTD in only 5 years and are now knocking on the door of PSX's LTD.
Speaking of, which is the best selling Sonh console in the US so far? PS2? And how far is PS4 from those numbers?