• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
How about we not speculate Metroid Prime 4's ability to sell systems when we don't even know what it is or what type of feel they're going for. It might have a huge online multiplayer component for all we know. We just don't have enough info at the moment.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Every exclusive helps to sell your system directly or indirectly, but is it really worth it to talk about what a game that could sell 2-3 million at best would do?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
How about we not speculate Metroid Prime 4's ability to sell systems when we don't even know what it is or what type of feel they're going for. It might have a huge online multiplayer component for all we know. We just don't have enough info at the moment.

Or maybe it's Metroid Prime 4: Metroid Prime Pinball 2.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Metroid Prime gets treated like some red head child around here. All the other Nintendo series apparently can grow and expand their series sales, but no no no when it comes to Metroid we have to keep downplaying the success of the switch, downplay there's nothing like Metroid Prime on the Switch, downplay the current industry. We can't factor none of that into Metroid Prime 4 being successful.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every exclusive helps to sell your system directly or indirectly, but is it really worth it to talk about what a game that could sell 2-3 million at best would do?
Maybe some of us don't think it'll sell 2-3 million? Maybe some of us think it'll do what every other Nintendo series is doing on the Nintendo Switch and sell the best for its series and then some (for most of Nintendo's series so far)?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Metroid Prime gets treated like some red head child around here. All the other Nintendo series apparently can grow and expand their series sales, but no no no when it comes to Metroid we have to keep downplaying the success of the switch, downplay there's nothing like Metroid Prime on the Switch, downplay the current industry. We can't factor none of that into Metroid Prime 4 being successful.

To be fair we really know almost nothing about it, so it is kind of hard to discuss it beyond talking about the potential of the IP.

But yeah people tend to forget Prime 1 was a thing before FPS games really took off. So the ceiling for those games back then may be wildly different from what's possible in today's gaming landscape.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Maybe some of us don't think it'll sell 2-3 million? Maybe some of us think it'll do what every other Nintendo series is doing on the Nintendo Switch and sell the best for its series and then some (for most of Nintendo's series so far)?
Sure, what are some of the latest sales of the franchise? It was always a small franchise compared to Nintendo's other IPs which really push systems.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to be bold here and say Prime 4 will sell more than that.

Switch software is setting franchise records. Especially core oriented ones. Metroid is one of Nintendo's most core oriented series.

It WILL surpass Prime 1's 2.74 million

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
To be fair, I think we should be cautious about predicting growth for any franchise whose game we haven't seen yet.

Once we saw Zelda, Mario, and Smash, it seemed pretty clear that all of those were gonna show some unprecedented levels of growth for their franchises. The question was by how much, and (now) it's whether Nintendo can replicate that success with sequels. And it's also pretty obvious at this point that any Nintendo franchise is gonna do much better on Switch than it did on 3DS or Wii U.

We don't really have any basis for predicting how Prime 4 will do yet. It's one of the few franchises that did worse on Wii than on GameCube. It could turn out to be a step in the wrong direction, even while everything else sells gangbusters.

Ultra

Oct 30, 2017
Not sure how the title will do for pushing systems [good or bad] but I do think it's gonna be the best selling Metroid title.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Switch software is setting franchise records. Especially core oriented ones. Metroid is one of Nintendo's most core oriented series.

The point is the effect of these small exclusives on hardware sales are mostly not notable and will be hard to point out like the games that sell +10 million.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The user I quoted called Pokemon Let's Go + Smash = 'the calm before the storm', with pictures of Animal Crossing (a big franchise) and metroid...
Nah, the gifs were just for effect. I never implied those three games were all there was to 2019 for Nintendo.

Benji got what I was saying pretty effortlessly. Be more like Benji and less like you.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017

If it's presented well.

If it's firsf impression is bad and continues to not impress, it won't do that.

It's just really difficult to discuss potential when we know nothing.

Oct 26, 2017
Uhh, like, first of all, we have never seen Metroid Prime 4 and have no idea how good it will be or when it will release.

I would think Nintendo's expectations are probably at 5m or so for Prime 4 if they have invested a serious amount of resources into it. Less if the game is some lower budget thing.

NicknameMy

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
The thing is, Nintendo has like 5 times more relevant exclusives in 2019 than 2018 which cover a wide area of genres that can attract multiple different people. That is an advantage compared to 2018. Oh, and don't forget that sweet sweet movie industrie push with Marvel Avengers and Detective Pikachu.

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Wii was the last platform with a full Metroid title. You saw what happened with the Wii. Correlation = perfect causation.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
We don't really have any basis for predicting how Prime 4 will do yet. It's one of the few franchises that did worse on Wii than on GameCube. It could turn out to be a step in the wrong direction, even while everything else sells gangbusters.

I completely agree that we need to see it before judging but I would also point out that it selling less on the Wii than the Gamecube isn't exactly a bad sign for MP4 on Switch. The Wii audience was far more likely to buy something like NSMB and Mario Kart than Metroid Prime or the Conduit or something like that. The Switch audience seems to be more "core" oriented so more people would likely be interested in a game like Metroid Prime 4 on Switch than on Wii even if the install base will be lower when all is said and done (and I'm not sure if that will be the case).

Oct 26, 2017
The thing is, Nintendo has like 5 times more relevant exclusives in 2019 than 2018 which cover a wide area of genres that can attract multiple different people. That is an advantage compared to 2018. Oh, and don't forget that sweet sweet movie industrie push with Marvel Avengers and Detective Pikachu.

Team Ninja's Avengers game will surely be overshadowed by Crystal Dynamics' Avengers game that will surely be shown next year.

lol

(CD's game will almost surely be more impressive than the Team Ninja game, just joking about how far away the Crystal Dynamics game is).

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
The issue with this thinking is that Sony and Microsoft don't usually put out their big selling exclusives in November and December. Nintendo have done precisely that and a lot of people have waited until Pokemon and Smash have come out to get a Switch.

Last December the only notable exclusive release for the Switch was Xenoblade. This December has Smash + Pokemon from a couple weeks ago. Smash and Pokemon should more than make up for the lack of cyber Monday for this December's tracking. It wouldn't surprise me if the Switch sold over 1 million in Smash week.

1 million in one week for a console is such an extremely rare occurrence.
Afaik that never ever happend outside the 2 biggest sales weeks of the year (BF and the last weekend before Christmas)

If I remember correctly the Switch sold 1.5 million in December 2017, without a major release since SMO. I think with Let's Go and Smash the Switch should manage to sell at least 2.0 million this year.
Correct Switch sold 1.5 million in December 2017. At least 2 million would be up 35% YoY. 2.5 million would be up 67% YoY.
That is massive growth.

Nintendo consoles always get way bigger boosts in December because of the "family friendly" image making it an ideal Christmas gift for kids. Last year Switch sales doubled from November to December, even though like you said the other platforms are skewing more heavily towards November.

It's certainly possible that this November has taken away a substantial amount of December Switch sales but I really doubt it personally. It's not like their promotions in November were that good.

I guess we'll have to wait and see if confirms to the typical Nintendo November > December boost or not.
Yeah and what i described is a microeconomic trend Nintendo is also part of.
What I said was not unique to Nintendo back in the days. It was equally true for Playstation, Xbox or other platforms.

This recent shift also affects Nintendo, even tho they still skew more towards December for various reasons, of which you mentioned some.
If Switch sells above 2.5 million units in December I gladly cut off my pinky.
Yes, we'll see.

Or maybe some retail insider should tell if Switch is moving double the numbers of November this year.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
I completely agree that we need to see it before judging but I would also point out that it selling less on the Wii than the Gamecube isn't exactly a bad sign for MP4 on Switch. The Wii audience was far more likely to buy something like NSMB and Mario Kart than Metroid Prime or the Conduit or something like that. The Switch audience seems to be more "core" oriented so more people would likely be interested in a game like Metroid Prime 4 on Switch than on Wii even if the install base will be lower when all is said and done (and I'm not sure if that will be the case).
Nah, it's not like the comparison of Wii vs. GameCube was "casuals up, core down." Twilight Princess and Smash did really solid numbers on Wii that GameCube would never have been able to dream of.

The story for Wii was that all potential Nintendo audiences (demographics-wise) grew: non-gamer converts, lapsed gamers, and core gamers. That doesn't necessarily mean a lift for every franchise, because games will still sell based on how they're received by the market. And I think it's crystal clear that Prime 3 wasn't that warmly received in any sense of the word compared to Prime 1.

NicknameMy

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
Nah, it's not like the comparison of Wii vs. GameCube was solidly "casuals up, core down." Twilight Princess and Smash did really solid numbers on Wii that GameCube would never have been able to dream of.

The story for Wii was that all potential Nintendo audiences grew: non-gamer converts, lapsed gamers, and core games.

Well, the most grown number was the dust collector gamers.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah and what i described is a microeconomic trend Nintendo is also part of.
What I said was not unique to Nintendo back in the days. It was equally true for Playstation, Xbox or other platforms.

This recent shift also affects Nintendo, even tho they still skew more towards December for various reasons, of which you mentioned some.
If Switch sells above 2.5 million units in December I gladly cut off my pinky.
Yes, we'll see.

Or maybe some retail insider should tell if Switch is moving double the numbers of November this year.

Umm... what ever happened to good old avatar bets?

Anyway I think 2.5M is more or less the ceiling here but over 2M is very possible. I still don't think we've heard much from retail insiders besides general "it's doing great" so yeah we're working blind here but I'm still expecting a fairly good bump from November as usual.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
It's a battle Royale, 100 hunters are dropped on Zebes

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
With their mediocre deals? I don't think so, they are likely happy being almost flat YoY.

The Xbox deals were not as bad as I initially thought. They had BFV and NBA 2K19 bundles for 229 in addition to 199 Minecraft. 199 MC was definitely disappointing, but $150 is probably just a bridge too far. The other bundles are actually pretty great. To get a triple A game and a 1TB console for 229 is pretty great in the scheme of things. We're really in that late gen phase of fantastic value.

Well no Xbox is selling for $199 again, but with no marquee title for December, it won't do much in the bigger picture.

Marquee titles have little to no effect except for Nintendo. See, Sony's November 2018.

Honestly, the biggest surprise to me is the performance of Xbox of November with only -3% drop compared to previous November when Xbox X was released.

Switch, had amazing increase of 75% yoy, but I was expecting it to be more around 1450k+ atleast.

PS4, definitely was under shipped by Sony at 199$, probably in favor of long term profit that they can make by selling it at 299$.
Because nobody actually gives a fuck about how much they're "winning." Sony and its shareholders are significantly more interested in how much money they're making than how much they're totally owning the competition. If they really just wanted Nintendo and Microsoft to get rekt, they'd just drop the price down to $99 and include God of War and Spider-Man in the box.

Sony has a lot of money. They also have a lot of empirical data. They are using their money to increase profits in the long run. They just have the numbers in front of them telling them how much money they should lose now to make the most later. That's why the $200 Spider-Man bundle was limited availability.

Yeah, us message board goers are only interested in market share games. I like to ask this: If you could have PS4 be 149 this holiday OR get a $10,000 check (to you, random forum dweller, personally) and PS4 stays 199, what would you choose? Most everybody would choose 199. The point is clear, when it affects US monetarily, we would have different views.

Well, that's Sony/MS/Nintendo. Price reductions on hardware come directly out of their pockets.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
For an overall commentary, about as expected. The Era anecdotes looked like PS4 was winning 10-1, I wasn't buying though cus I know my history, that happens every year. You just have to pay attention to Benji's comments to usually get a good feel.

Disappointing a bit that Xbox was down YoY for me.

And the Xbox One X anecdotally I bet did extremely well. It was available for 399 generally, which is a big reduction.

NicknameMy

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
I'm just buying some Nintendo stock right now to hedge my bet. I'm fine.

Ehm, Nintendo stock actually doesn't represent at all how well Nintendo is doing, because some analysts like to talk it down. Even if somehow Nintendo reaches their goal, the stock will drop because the analysts find a way to spin it into a negative way.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I've been keeping track of 360 vs One this whole generation, gen over gen. Basically, Xbox One was still ahead by 45k units going into November, where I expected 360 to finally come out ahead.

I have 360 for 1374k in Nov 2010, vs Xbox O's 1340k this Nov, difference of 34k, One somehow maintains it's lead for another month, by a piddly 11k LOL.

One has no chance though, 360 had a ridiculous 2011/year 6, and in Dec 2010 (next months comp) was over 1.8m. Next month, December of year 5 2010/2018, finally 360 will overtake One gen over gen.

Although given the rough nature of NPD estimates the margin of error is pretty high, so exact numbers are a fruitless endeavour.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
It saw a 75% growth YoY in November, so a 35% growth in December would not be that crazy I think. But I agree that 2.5 million is a bit optimistic. I think 2.0 - 2.2 million.

Yeah, but it had that crazy system seller called Xenoblade Chronicles 2 come out in December. :p

Also, my previous Metroid comment was half-serious. I fully expect some multiplayer component. They pushed it hard in their last game, had it in their DS Metroid games, and had a great multiplayer mode in Nintendoland. It feels like something they want to get right.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
The point is the effect of these small exclusives on hardware sales are mostly not notable and will be hard to point out like the games that sell +10 million.
First, Let it be known that I'm assuming Prime 4 is going to be a similar game to the first three, just a bit more modernized.

Anyways, I'm just saying I think today's environment is a great one for Prime to succeed in, moreso than the Gamecube and Wii were.

I'm not going to even limit it to Nintendo. Single player exclusive games in general are doing very, very well now. Sony's got new IPs that are selling way over 2 million. Both Sony and Nintendo are reviving old IPs to record sales (Zelda, God of War, Fire Emblem). I don't know why people think Metroid in particular would just.... stagnate. On the most successful console for core games Nintendo has released in ages.

Not to mention, the Metroid fan base has been very vocal about the series' absence. I'm sure it's drawn a ton of eyes towards it. Hell, that's how I got into the series in 2014. It made a Prime 4 logo reveal one of the most hyped things at E3.

I mean feel free to bring this up if it underperforms, but I think Nintendo would REALLY have to fuck up for it to not set a record for the series honestly.

freeradical

Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA Aggregate Predictions - Nov-2018

1. PS4 - 1578K (stddev: 119K)
2. NSW - 1404K (stddev: 142K)
3. XB1 - 1094K (stddev: 133K)

------------------------

Thanks! Only real diff is with PS4, but even that's minor considering the totals. Going with 1480K, 1360K, and 1340K for PS4, NSW, and XB1, respectively, then. (^_^)

NPD Prediction Results - November 2018

Units

1. uptownsoul - 160,000
2. HighJump - 190,000
3. ArmGunar - 200,000
3. chobel - 200,000
5. Evangelista - 220,000
5. Mbolibombo - 220,000
5. Primethius - 220,000
8. Slarvax - 240,000
9. MasterChumly - 270,000
9. SinCItyAssassin - 270,000
11. Nocturnal - 278,000
12. PillFencer - 280,000
13. El Manco - 292,000
14. Alex840 - 300,000
14. Vlodril - 300,000
14. score01 - 300,000
17. gargles - 310,000
18. *Guaranß - 320,000
18. KennyX - 320,000
18. Kill3r7 - 320,000
18. Kyser73 - 320,000
18. Paronth - 320,000
18. Ryng Manuel Tolu - 320,000
24. Simba1 - 335,000
25. Andromeda - 339,000
26. Mercenary09 - 340,000
27. Expy - 345,000
27. Jbone115 - 345,000
29. Aleh - 350,000
29. DanR93 - 350,000
29. Heruderu - 350,000
29. Sander VF - 350,000
29. Toni - 350,000
34. RexNovis - 360,000
34. Sterok - 360,000
36. Darth Smurf X - 380,000
36. Pablo Mesa - 380,000
38. Myriotes - 388,000
39. Astrogamer - 400,000
40. cakely - 405,000
41. Menx64 - 410,000
42. jayu26 - 415,000
43. Charamiwa - 420,000
43. Lwill - 420,000
43. Martl - 420,000
43. allan-bh - 420,000
47. Quinton - 430,000
47. ScopehJ - 430,000
47. WillySJ3 - 430,000
47. useyourloaf - 430,000
51. CosmicBolt - 440,000
51. Grads - 440,000
53. Limabean01 - 447,000
54. Dougieflesh - 448,000
55. Rouk' - 450,000
55. Wandu - 450,000
57. KillerMan91 - 460,000
57. pitseleh - 460,000
57. z0m3le - 460,000
60. freeradical - 461,000
61. Elandyll - 470,000
61. LordKano - 470,000
61. Sir Tsunami - 470,000
61. Wander_ - 470,000
61. dean_rcg - 470,000
66. Hyaku Shiki - 475,000
66. Zedark - 475,000
68. iag - 480,000
69. MrTired - 485,000
70. Dwebble - 490,000
71. Bundy - 500,000
71. DeuceGamer - 500,000
71. Kaveri - 500,000
71. Peek-a-boo! - 500,000
71. Sangetsu-II - 500,000
71. TurnoftheCentury - 500,000
77. skittzo0413 - 509,000
78. Sheepshakey - 510,000
79. Gryflet - 520,000
79. Unkindled - 520,000
81. Jawbreaker - 550,000
81. donny2112 - 550,000
83. ConfusedGamer - 555,000
83. chroeser - 555,000
85. Welfare - 560,000
86. ThatRandomCliff - 564,000
87. Mr Swine - 565,000
88. Omnislayer - 600,000
88. UmbriaPauly - 600,000
88. jroc74 - 600,000
91. big_z - 603,000
92. Hammer24 - 607,000
93. Gamer17 - 620,000
93. H-I-M - 620,000
93. Pooroomoo - 620,000
93. byDoS - 620,000
97. Fdkn - 622,000
98. mrfusticle - 634,000
99. FaceHugger - 670,000
99. Harris Katz - 670,000
99. Jade1962 - 670,000
99. kowalski - 670,000
103. Ron Paul - 695,000
104. klanar - 700,000
105. DMVfan123 - 704,000
106. Rockstar - 720,000
107. Rion - 725,000
108. Bitch Pudding - 730,000
109. Majiebeast - 764,000
110. Alandring - 800,000
110. Cthulhu_Steev - 800,000
110. Ryugarr - 800,000
110. kjtc1979 - 800,000
110. slavesnyder - 800,000
115. Noobie - 820,000
116. Keikaku - 1,000,000
116. NicknameMy - 1,000,000
118. Timppis - 1,330,000
119. Pachter - 1,415,000

November 2018                   Overall 2018 Top (9/11)
01.  uptownsoul             123.15   Andromeda                937.80
02.  HighJump               118.44   Expy                     919.40
03.  chobel                 116.20   Welfare                  918.38
04.  ArmGunar               116.20   CosmicBolt               914.19
05.  Primethius             111.70   Ryng Manuel Tolu         910.15
06.  Mbolibombo             111.58   MrTired                  909.52
07.  Evangelista            111.58   Peek-a-boo!              905.97
08.  Slarvax                107.16   Elandyll                 902.34
09.  SinCItyAssassin        105.53   chroeser                 898.83
10.  MasterChumly           105.33   allan-bh                 895.29
11.  Nocturnal              103.23   jroc74                   891.28
12.  PillFencer             103.15   kowalski                 890.10
13.  Vlodril                103.01   useyourloaf              887.98
14.  Alex840                102.97   Kaveri                   886.34
15.  score01                102.83   pitseleh                 886.33
16.  El Manco               102.83   jayu26                   885.01
17.  gargles                102.67   Gryflet                  883.91
18.  Kill3r7                102.11   KillerMan91              883.72
19.  Ryng Manuel Tolu       102.11   Fdkn                     883.10
20.  *Guaranß               102.11   Nocturnal                877.04
21.  Andromeda              101.79   Bitch Pudding            874.52
22.  Mercenary09            101.74   Corporate Clown          874.34
23.  Simba1                 101.70   Primethius               872.27
24.  DanR93                 101.63   Grads                    870.98
25.  Toni                   101.61   Wandu                    869.90
26.  Sander VF              101.61   donny2112                865.25
27.  Expy                   101.61   score01                  865.01
28.  Jbone115               101.51   Hammer24                 859.86
29.  Heruderu               101.37   MasterChumly             859.17
30.  RexNovis               101.21   freeradical              858.05
31.  Sterok                 101.13   Zedark                   857.38
32.  Pablo Mesa             100.76   Martl                    854.64
33.  Darth Smurf X          100.63   cakely                   854.02
34.  Myriotes               100.58   slavesnyder              853.98
35.  Astrogamer             100.25   Kill3r7                  853.97
36.  cakely                  99.96   Astrogamer               853.96
37.  Martl                   99.86   Sangetsu-II              853.61
38.  jayu26                  99.77   Darth Smurf X            852.06
39.  Lwill                   99.70   James                    851.20
40.  WillySJ3                99.67   chobel                   850.13
41.  allan-bh                99.65   Majiebeast               848.84
42.  Charamiwa               99.62   Stanng243                847.23
43.  ScopehJ                 99.54   TurnoftheCentury         846.38
44.  useyourloaf             99.51   Kyser73                  841.73
45.  Grads                   99.51   ConfusedGamer            841.30
46.  Quinton                 99.37   HighJump                 839.90
47.  CosmicBolt              99.30   Slarvax                  831.85
48.  Limabean01              99.19   DanR93                   831.10
49.  Wandu                   99.15   Noobie                   815.23
50.  Dougieflesh             99.03   Sterok                   809.96

Congratulations, uptownsoul! :D
It appears the discussion has gotten caught up in the numbers and December predictions and forgotten..........................

Congrats to uptownsoul. As always, thanks to Donny2112 for his work and all the sales gurus for their appreciated insightful contributions.