• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I've never heard of Super Saturday. Is that like, last-minute-desperate-gift-buying Saturday?

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017

Sounds like a good December indeed.

Damn son, I guess the main Christmas shopping week is still the biggest week of the year for Nintendo then. Bigger than Black Friday week is nuts.

I've never heard of Super Saturday. Is that like, last-minute-desperate-gift-buying Saturday?

Yep, exactly that. Before BF blew up it was the biggest shopping day of the year, and it still is in most countries.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
With that information I'm wondering how big Dec will be. They definitely are looking to have a huge Q3.

The biggest week of Switch sales so far (I believe) was Black Friday week this year which sold somewhere around 800k Switches.

So that suggests this week will be more than that. Considering it's been selling extremely well all December that paints a pretty rosy picture.

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The two weeks around Christmas have been bigger than BF week for some years now, but everyone tends to focus on BF weekend. This year we have an extra Saturday. The calendar worked against the market last year, this year is a whole different story.

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
The biggest week of Switch sales so far (I believe) was Black Friday week this year which sold somewhere around 800k Switches.

So that suggests this week will be more than that. Considering it's been selling extremely well all December that paints a pretty rosy picture.
Switch in Japan just had W49 and W50 each at 281k and will probably have W51 at ~350k and W52 at ~190k, can the split by week in December be similar in the USA? If W51 is over 800k in the USA, and like Japan W51 is ~1/3 of total Dec. sales, then that would mean over 2,4m for December

julian

Oct 27, 2017
The two weeks around Christmas have been bigger than BF week for some years now, but everyone tends to focus on BF weekend. This year we have an extra Saturday. The calendar worked against the market last year, this year is a whole different story.

Does that mean the whole Cyber Monday being in November this year shouldn't really mean much?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Cyber Monday isn't yet big enough to offset an extra December Saturday like that? Given last year's December tracking period did include Cyber Monday?

Switch in Japan just had W49 and W50 each at 281k and will probably have W51 at ~350k and W52 at ~190k, can the split by week in December be similar in the USA? If W51 is over 800k in the USA, and like Japan W51 is ~1/3 of total Dec. sales, then that would mean over 2,5m for December

If it works like that then yeah, that'd be huge. But it's probably not that simple, what with different markets behaving differently and all.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MatPiscatella Benji question about Minecraft on the Switch, in Japan the game is nearing half a million physical sales, could end up passing a million sometime next year(evergreen inexpensive title). Is the US version also selling similarly well or have Minecraft sales slowed down in the US?

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
MatPiscatella Benji question about Minecraft on the Switch, in Japan the game is nearing half a million physical sales, could end up passing a million sometime next year(evergreen inexpensive title). Is the US version also selling similarly well or have Minecraft sales slowed down in the US?

Minecraft was the 20th highest $ selling game in September 2018.
It's the second best selling game lifetime behind GTAV and higher than GTAV including mobile copies.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be clear the PS4 is selling a lot

It's just, yeah having no deals available is certainly slowing its momentum this week compared to the other 2

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I've noticed a lot of stores are getting slammed today including Gamestop and Target (No PS4s or Switches in sight).
I guess most items on Amazon won't be able to ship and deliver by Christmas XD

Spiegel

Oct 26, 2017
To be clear the PS4 is selling a lot

It's just, yeah having no deals available is certainly slowing its momentum this week compared to the other 2

For me, after november, it would be pretty crazy if PS4 doesn't get outsold by 100% or more by the Switch and 50% or more by Xbox One.

Sony certainly doesn't seem to care by how much they get outsold this month.

OP
OP

donny2112

Oct 27, 2017
PlayStation's online store.
Xbox's online store.
Switch's online store.

The apostrophe is making the word a possessive. Switches would probably be the grammatically correct way to go.

------

On the Gift Card question, they tend to mostly get spent as soon as people have them in their hands. In Japan, that means the week after New Year's has a big increase. For the U.S., it'd be the days after Christmas. Psychologically, most people tend to have trouble holding onto cash/gift cards long-term to wait for a better deal.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
For me, after november, it would be pretty crazy if PS4 doesn't get outsold by 100% or more by the Switch and 50% or more by Xbox One.

Yep for Sony it seem they not playing the price game to move units any more at least for this year .
Seem like it's all about profit as Sony begin to move into next gen .

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018

I wonder why. Do they plan on selling it for $299 again for many months next year so don't want to decrease it's perceived value in the eyes of the consumer?