• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

allan-bh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks Pork for deliver again.

I'm really impressed with Xbox One being just -3% YoY, deals this year weren't so great and last year was the X debut.

PS4 and Switch sold in line with my expectations. A good month for the big 3.

allan-bh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe cyber monday was a big factor for the small YoY drop for Xbox One, since it wasn't included in november 17.

PS4 suffered with shortages, so probably cyber monday didn't help much.

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
What a surprise ;)

Benji was right on the money again!

Total HW numbers should be at or around 8.6-8.7 million, right? That also puts MK8D, BOTW and SMO at 4.5 million or more sold through in the US per Reggie's comments.

With Christmas still to come! Maybe another 500K tacked on their for SMO/BOTW (20% attach with 2.5M HW if it can push that).

I'm sure MK8D has blasted past the other two by this point though, especially with the bundle.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It was a very close month.

Switch: Voltorb
3DS: Rattata
PS4: Koffing
XBO: Kingler
Other: Vulpix

YoY:
Switch: +75%
3DS: -39%
PS4: -13%
XBO: -3%
Other: -6%

The top-selling titles (physical only) were RDR2, Black Ops 4 and Pokemon Let's go Pikachu/Eevee
Holy shit at Switch, that's an incredible jump.

XBO -3% on November 2017 isn't too bad at all given it was X's launch month, although I'm sure MS was still hoping for some growth.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Shoutouts to Benji who said that PS4 and Switch would be closer than expected, but PS4 still slightly ahead, but down YoY. All 100% true.

Moral of the story, trust Benji, not Nintendo official PR.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Shoutouts to Benji who said that PS4 and Switch would be closer than expected, but PS4 still slightly ahead, but down YoY. All 100% true.

Moral of the story, trust Benji, not Nintendo official PR.
Wait how does this conflict with Nintendo's PR? Was it that the numbers there suggested lower than real Switch performance if interpreted to represent the whole month?

Or did they actually oversell the performance in some way?

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
With their mediocre deals? I don't think so, they are likely happy being almost flat YoY.
The bundles were lackluster, but price wise they were where they needed to be to sell, with the X even being as low as $400 or less with a game afaik.
The real surprise to me is PS4 down, as basically Sony could choose to sell as many as they were wanting to make available with an incredibly popular Spidey bundle, and now having so very few deals (if any) on console hardware this December.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Wait how does this conflict with Nintendo's PR? Was it that the numbers there suggested lower than real Switch performance if interpreted to represent the whole month?

Or did they actually oversell the performance in some way?
Honestly it was really confusing so I don't even remember, but all I know was that it made Benji question himself when clearly there was no need to.

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
Nintendo's post Black Friday/Cyber Monday PR

Nintendo Switch

• Nintendo Switch hardware sales grew 115 percent compared to the same period in 2017.
  • Lifetime sales of Nintendo Switch, which is entering only its second holiday season, have reached more than 8.2 million units.
  • Sales of first-party games, including digital downloads, topped 1 million units Nov. 22-26, beating 2017's totals by 78 percent.
  • Nintendo Switch games Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee! have hit combined U.S. sales of more than 1.5 million units since their Nov. 16 launch.
  • Super Mario Party surpassed lifetime U.S. sales of 1 million units, becoming the fastest-selling game in the Mario Party series and the fifth million-selling first-party Nintendo Switch game in the U.S. alone, joining The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Super Mario Odyssey and Splatoon 2.

more than 8.2 million units

8.6-8.7M > 8.2M

Technically correct. The best kind of correct.

allan-bh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The bundles were lackluster, but price wise they were where they needed to be to sell, with the X even being as low as $400 or less with a game afaik.
The real surprise to me is PS4 down, as basically Sony could choose to sell as many as they were wanting to make available with an incredibly popular Spidey bundle, and now having so very few deals (if any) on console hardware this December.

X for $399 was great, but the S Minecraft bundle for $199 was a poor offer considering that PS4 Spider bundle was costing the same.

PS4 definitively is down due to shortages, demand apparent was amazing at the beginning of Black Friday week.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I think $399 was just a really appealing price point for the XBX. I considered just grabbing one while in the Best Buy checkout line and I have no need for one at all ATM.
Yup, it is. I almost got one a few times too.

Price is the bigger factor most of the time, IMO.

But, if it didn't take the top spot in revenue there's still those they will get the base console since it's still the cheapest. Price....

Can't wait till the official NPD results come out.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Good month for all 3 and once again Benji was right on the money .
This month switch should do really good .
MS should do okay also but i really not certain on PS4.

Oct 25, 2017
Technically correct. The best kind of correct.
giphy.gif

allan-bh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering that PS4 is back at $299 and Xbox One isn't being sold for $199, it seems that Switch will have a huge margin of victory in december.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
PS4: ~1478K
Switch: ~1356K
XB1: ~1342K

I'd probably just found those to the nearest 10K.

i am absolutely ducking astonished by the XB1. Thought for sure it was going to skirt with 1M.

Everyone was so close!

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda disappointed to see the PS4 down but Benji warned us. That said, being on top in units this month again is very well played by Sony with that inevitable 199$ deal. Outselling the PS3 LTD is also a big story. PS4 should be close to 28 million LTD right ?

Also, if my numbers are right, Switch must outsell PS4 by less than 600K in December to be the top selling machine of the year in units, is that right ?
With no deal in sight for PS4 this Christmas and Smash most likely doing history numbers, chances are very slim to see PS4 staying on top, but the real deal will be to see if it can at least remain flat for the year.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
As we can see with the final result, the PS4 was never getting anywhere near 2M. Even with Cyber Monday week.

But I pointed out how unlikely that is and why you should see YOY decline for both PS4 and XB1 :)

And the Switch got the boost needed not just from the Black Friday PR but also what they need to actually ship 20M units. December is going to be >2M.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That looks like a healthy hardware market to me. Sony sold what they put on shelves, Nintendo had a huge leap, and Microsoft held steady YOY with a hardware launch. Impressive figures for each.

Oct 25, 2017
Switch did great. XB1 did way better than expected.

Not that great of a result for PS4 given the deals. Limited stock and all that, but they probably could have hit those numbers with a less enticing deal which makes the number pretty mediocre in my eyes.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, we got some Sheep on top of Pork now? We're gonna have a farm of insiders at this rate!

The X1 performance really surprised me. Great month for it considering the competition. Also, all consoles over 1M for the first time in history and the PS4 surpasses the PS3 LTD. Excellent month.

Evangelista

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
Do we have LTD for Xbox one and PS4 ? I think the difference is above 4 million with November right?