• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Mat himself says Death Stranding sales are good and anyone saying they're not has a bad take so...
The horse has already be beaten to death but yes DS didn't bomb even if sales can be seen as disappointing by people that didn't adjust their expectations accordingly when we got to see more about the game.

Mat adjusted its expectations accordingly for example (he initially expected the game to #8 for the year but then didn't put it in his most recent top 10 prediction).

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
DS was never going to be a top seller, bruvs. Game is too wackadoo. Now COD and Star Wars? That's shit people can wrap their heads around.

Star Wars is great mayne, my fave single player game since Destiny came along.

Respawn is good, turns out. Though I personally did not enjoy the Titanfall games even.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Switch will definitely perform better in December relative to November, so maybe it can take that record?

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017

Question would had been better if it had specified this gen. Wii has the all time record (2.04 million in 2008).

Switch will definitely perform better in December relative to November, so maybe it can take that record?

Switch already has the current gen record for December (1.77 million last year) and it's not going to touch all time record (Wii again with 3.81 million in 2009)

Last edited:

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
what game should it have been above?
number 10 is Odyssey in November.

dunno if it's done well or bad or whatever, but it had no chance this month
No particular game. I was just thinking that maybe a whole month of sales could be enough to boost it sales. Thats why i didnt say too much about the performance in October because i wanted to wait and see. Its a big title after all, even if its a late port. But without knowing if its at #11 or #50 place this month, and e.g #11 might be higher sales than previous month's #8 position, its very hard to say either way. I guess that it wont reappear in the Switch top 10 either, unless it has a nationwide price cut, so we'll probably have to rely on some milestone sales data.

babycakin

Nov 2, 2019
I mean you know as well as I do that there is a chasm of a difference between what you expect from a Sony game now versus what you did in 2011.
That said, I already admitted that DS seems to have done well once Mat posted his clarification, earlier in the thread, so I don't know why you take issue with the extremely obvious and transparent shift in expectations surrounding the performance of this game being pointed out.

This is why I like you. Hot takes are the norm around these forums but you at least own up to yours and eat crow immediately. Can't say that for others lol.

Anyways, Death Stranding did fine, it's all about the legs at this point which personally I think won't have any.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
What was MGSV's opening month sales? All I know is that it also came in under Madden.

Oct 26, 2017
Death Stranding was never going to outsell COD, SW and Pokémon, but i was surprised about Madden being higher than Death Stranding, it is a July release and i think it was heavily discounted, did the game sold more than one million copies to top Death Stranding?

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Factoring Kojima and the type of game DS was I always thought it won't do better than MGSV, which seems to be true. Still not bad but not smashing success either.

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Death Stranding was never going to outsell COD, SW and Pokémon, but i was surprised about Madden being higher than Death Stranding, it is a July release and i think it was heavily discounted, did the game sold more than one million copies to top Death Stranding?
We estimated Death Stranding to be around 600k (+/- 100k)

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, do we know the $ difference between Madden and Death Stranding?

I guess COD, SW and Pokémon are in the range of 1-3 million copies sold.
No idea sorry :/

Something like : CoD : 3m+ ; Pokémon : 2.5m-3m ; Star Wars : 1.5m+ (vague estimates, don't have the data to pinpoint it better :/ )

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
We estimated Death Stranding to be around 600k (+/- 100k)

No idea sorry :/

Something like : CoD : 3m+ ; Pokémon : 2.5m-3m ; Star Wars : 1.5m+ (vague estimates, don't have the data to pinpoint it better :/ )

don't want to be that guy but those are not really estimates, more like "guess" (aka numbers from my ass... Which is ok but call it "estimate" is kinda pretentious)

The only "estimate" could be Pokemon because we have some official numbers from Nintendo and other data to work.

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
don't want to be that guy but those are not really estimates, more like "guess" (aka numbers from my ass... Which is ok but call it "estimate" is kinda pretentious)

The only "estimate" could be Pokemon because we have some official numbers from Nintendo and other data to work.
I estimated DS being at ~600k using Pokémon data (and Sw/Sh ratio from other territories). See here :

Some rough estimates using Pokemon at 2.75m and a Sword/Shield split of 60/40 (akin to the other markets).

3. Pokémon Sword : ~1.25m
4. Double pack : 400k
5. Pokémon Shield : ~ 700k

So Death Stranding probably in the 500k-650k range ? (it had some more expensive versions)

Pokémon in the US first 2 days (digital included) : 2m
Pokémon in the Americas at the end of November : 3m-3.5m (digital included)
Pokémon S/M opening month : 3.2m (estimate)

Other figures are infered by the fact that Sw/Sh did 2m in 2 days in the US and between 3m and 3.49m in the Americas at the end of November (digital included). Star Wars is below Pokemon combined but above Sword and Cod is above Pokemon combined.