• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
So you're telling me the usual suspects didn't consider context and were already throwing their hot takes? 😂 What a surprise. It reminds me of the hordes of people downplaying Let's Go sales back then and doing everything they could to ignore context. When you hate one thing, logic really goes out the window lol.
You should check out the pokemon thread about this.
Just a legion of angry dexiters yelling "dollar sales dont count".

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Pokemon did as i expected. Curious about it's legs but i bet they will be long if we do get an off year next year.
Given how positive actual word of mouth is, and how well we have seen it hold in other markets, I expect it to continue to do well.

Is it though? Love the game but I don't think it has a narrative conducive to long lasting legs. At least not at full price.
Most people who have actually played the game love it, that has to help.

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
So you're telling me the usual suspects didn't consider context and were already throwing their hot takes? 😂 What a surprise. It reminds me of the hordes of people downplaying Let's Go sales back then and doing everything they could to ignore context. When you hate one thing, logic really goes out the window lol.
The problem with the discussion here is that everyone seems to have a different expectation on what DS should have sold.

Should we compare it to other big PS4 exclusives or past Kojima games ? If so the game's performance seems disappointing.
Should we view it as a passion project with limited mainstream appeal but significant backing ? Then it would be more in line with expectations.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
Given how positive actual word of mouth is, and how well we have seen it hold in other markets, I expect it to continue to do well.

Most people who have actually played the game love it, that has to help.

But there are plenty of people who haven't who are absolutely willing to shit on it and that doesn't help. I'd bet the latter wins out.

You're setting yourself up for disappointment if you expect long legs. None of Kojima's games have really had them

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
The problem with the discussion here is that everyone seems to have a different expectation on what DS should have sold.

Should we compare it to other big PS4 exclusives or past Kojima games ? If so the game's performance seems disappointing.
Should we view it as a passion project with limited mainstream appeal but significant backing ? Then it would be more in line with expectations.
The initial expectation was the former, but I think the more realistic expectation would have been the latter.

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
So DS probably had 1-3million in sales if I had to guess. Which is fantastic for a new IP and it will end up selling a solid 5 million.

I can't believe the Pokémon double pack charted, and above shield.
US seems to be <1m so worldwide sales should be between 1.5m and 2m imo after the end of November.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
So... Is safe to say that LM3 is going to sell a lot better than DS?
Probably. I've always expected that.

People really don't seem to comprehend that Dark Moon did amazing on 3DS.

Combine that with the Switch boost and LM3 having fantastic reception, I think it could pass 10 million lifetime.

I don't think DS' results are disappointing like some here do, but LM3 was always going to outsell it.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
DS was made in some 3 years using an Engine provided by Sony so production costs should be low in comparison. It's not an easy game to describe to even core gamers so it making #7 is well done IMO.

And Sony internal studios got more experience on DECIMA so games coming out for PS5 will look all the better. That's a win for sure.

It'll be a personal GOTY year contender.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
But there are plenty of people who haven't who are absolutely willing to shit on it and that doesn't help. I'd bet the latter wins out.

You're setting yourself up for disappointment if you expect long legs. None of Kojima's games have really had them
I think normal people (I.e. ones who don't post on enthusiast forums with bubble communities) don't care to aggressively shit on a game they have no interest in, so the only narrative that remains is the actual positive word of mouth from those of us who have actually played it.
The IGN review might be more harmful than people shitting on the game, and even that won't be as harmful, given other countering reviews like GameSpot.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
DS was made in some 3 years using an Engine provided by Sony so production costs should be low in comparison. It's not an easy game to describe to even core gamers so it making #7 is well done IMO.

But marketing and costs for hiring actors would have easily offset the savings of using GG's engine, not to mention I believe Kojima had already developed a lot of DS using another engine beforehand.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
I think normal people (I.e. ones who don't post on enthusiast forums with bubble communities) don't care to aggressively shit on a game they have no interest in, so the only narrative that remains is the actual positive word of mouth from those of us who have actually played it.
The IGN review might be more harmful than people shitting on the game, and even that won't be as harmful, given other countering reviews like GameSpot.

But are these normal people gonna ever hear impressions from those who actually played it?

If anything the marketing may have put people off permanently. Seeing a baby pod is gonna be an automatic strike for plenty

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
You should check out the pokemon thread about this.
Just a legion of angry dexiters yelling "dollar sales dont count".
I'm actually one of those "Dexiters" who heavily criticized and will keep criticizing GF for the crap they pulled with SwSh, very disappointing games, but I fully understood what they were doing with Let's Go and didn't know back then they'd fuck up so badly with the new generation games, so I supported their efforts with Let's Go as they were very clear about what kind of product it was. In hindsight and taking into account SwSh, I don't really feel too proud about defending Let's Go.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

i think the expectation used to be the former but since release it has shifted to the latter.

Limabean01

Oct 29, 2017
WA, australia
Do we know if for the Pokémon combined sales, the double pack is counted as one or two sales? That could be the difference between first and second place for it vs cod.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017

Its not hard to answer this question.
What does DS looks like ? Like one of Sony tentpoles and MGS or like a passion project ?
I mean it's pretty obvious, to me at least, which one of those descriptions fits DS better.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You meant to type this, right? Like, that's exactly the problem people have with the game, if they have a problem with the game: It's on two legs much of the time.
giphy.gif

On the other hand, if a concept just isn't that interesting to normal folks, then WOM won't matter since they have better options available. And with how goddamned weird Death Stranding is on the surface, there's enough going on there to actively repel them to not even bother in the first place. Folks on the message boards might be able to get into baby pods, tar whales and zip-line adventures, but throw that in front of a person like that and they'll be scrambling to go right back to COD. It's great that Kojima got to make the game he wanted to make, but its mainstream prospects were always dubious once the true nature of its gameplay loop was revealed, Hollywood actors or not.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
easily. it's doing better in all markets, and will have much better legs.
that prediction thread is looking pretty silly in retrospective.
Quality massively drives sales these days. If DS had had the reception previous Kojima games had had then it would be extremely realistic for DS to outsell LM3. As it was it just reviewed 'well' and it's sales are just 'good' as a result.

Caiops

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I expected DS doing much better, less than Madden and that released three months ago.

It probably sold less than Days Gone

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Its not hard to answer this question.
What does DS looks like ? Like one of Sony tentpoles and MGS or like a passion project ?
Im it's pretty obvious, to me at least, which one of those descriptions fits DS better.
It was pushed as one of the big Sony games.

Even on this very forum, a majority of people expected Death Stranding to outsell Luigi's Mansion 3 (so basically selling 6m+ copies). We are far from that you will agree.

Personnally, I was cautious about the game because it was so different but expectations were pretty high around here.

MAK11

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Lol at the moving goalposts when it comes to Kojima (be it about reviews or sales in this case). DS is Bomba status no matter how you try to cut it. It was literally the most hyped up game of 2019.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Some of you are really, really underestimating Pokemon it seems lol

I think some are willfully being obtuse. I understood when Control didn't even chart the yikes and oofs and bomba.

Also a new IP.

DS? The yikes doesn't compute. I mean it does.....😒.....but still doesn't.

Lol at the moving goalposts when it comes to Kojima (be it about reviews or sales in this case). DS is Bomba status no matter how you try to cut it. It was literally the most hyped up game of 2019.
lol at context being thrown out the window.

Evil Lucario

Feb 16, 2019
I don't think I will ever play or watch Death Stranding but I hope it does well long-term. It'll probably not pull me in at all, even on PC, but I wish it the best of luck.

At the very least, it is very unique among AAA games, for better or worse.

Shitting on games you're (in a general sense) predisposed to out of spite seems pretty wasteful.