• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not that I think Death Stranding numbers are bad per se, but...

www.resetera.com

What will sell more, Death Stranding or Luigi’s Mansion 3?

Genuinely very curious as I think it will be close, and in many respects (outside of Pokemon), these are the two big AAA exclusives for this holiday. I really don’t know which will sell more, whether in the short term or long term, but I think it will be very, very close.

Why did people think the game was going to be an instant big seller?

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL

www.resetera.com

Genuinely very curious as I think it will be close, and in many respects (outside of Pokemon), these are the two big AAA exclusives for this holiday. I really don’t know which will sell more, whether in the short term or long term, but I think it will be very, very close.

AAA holiday game for a console with 100m+ install base. It better be...

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the "yikes" in this thread should be directed towards anyone who unironically expected Death Stranding to outsell Pokemon, COD or Star Wars in a holiday month.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019

www.resetera.com

Yeah, the narrative some are peddling in this thread is suspect. Look at the first page of that thread, and the sentiment around what kinds of sales were expected from DS. Suddenly people seem to have gone back on that, and DS was never going to be a big tentpole Sony game anyway.

Apr 21, 2018

www.resetera.com

Oh dear me is my old thread popping up?

Luigi's mansion 3 was simply underestimated.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield titles combined to achieve the highest launch month dollar sales of any Pokémon release in U.S. history, topping the previous launch month high set by Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon. Combined, it would rank at #2.

That's so nuts. The best selling Pokemon games ever, COMBINED can't outsell Call of Duty 2019.

Seahawk64

Oct 27, 2017

www.resetera.com

Never count out Luigi.

Krov87

Oct 31, 2017
How many other Sony titles released in November since the rise to $60 games?
dont think it matters, that tweet doesnt talk only about november sony games.
But marketing and costs for hiring actors would have easily offset the savings of using GG's engine, not to mention I believe Kojima had already developed a lot of DS using another engine beforehand.
Could you give a number about what you think they paid the actors?
I think you are vastly overstimating their salary.
And it doesnt make sense to develop a lot of DS on a engine you know you cant use.
At most they developed models and things like that.

IronTed

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2019
Great for Switch and Pokemon. Lol at the double pack outselling Shield though

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
I am really surprised that people surprised at Death Stranding's placement.

I predicated that Call of Duty, Star Wars, the two Pokemon games and one annual sports game would be above it.

Though I thought the sports game would be NBA 2k20.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
was hoping to see DS in the top 5 but I guess word of mouth didn't let it happen. Kinda sucks for the game as hyped as it was post launch conversation dried up real fast. Curious what Kojima's next game is gonna be

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

www.resetera.com

lol that thread is cringe worthy

Edit: I totally posted on it

Last edited:

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Reminder of Mat's predictions for 2019
After E3:
2019+Best+Selling+Video+Games.jpg

In September:

video-game-chart-3.jpg

It's not that bad for Death Stranding, but he did initially thought it could end up at #8 for the year, in front of the single Pokemon SKUs

Matt really didn't expect Pokemon to make the list?

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Woah, is this the lowest GTA V has been since it launched in freaking 2013???? Almost leaving the top 20!

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
easily. it's doing better in all markets, and will have much better legs.
that prediction thread is looking pretty silly in retrospect.

It is actually lagging behind in Japan compared to Dark Moon.

Edit: Realizing you meant compared to DS, not the series as a whole. My mistake.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
The only surprising thing about this month is that the double pack charted higher than Pokémon Shield.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Cod became the best selling title in the last 12 months in just 1 month on sale...
The most consistent yearly franchise I've seen as each of them is the best selling title every year.
Expected a bit better from DS.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like Ring Fit isn't really having the same level of impact in the US. I noticed on Amazon it was in stock during November, at least for the several times I did check.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope MARIO Maker 2 sales pick up in December with the new DLC. It's my GOTY and I am worried folks are missing out on a gem. Big N must be disappointed with the sales?

It is weird that Mario Odyssey is above Mario Maker 2 on the Switch chart.

I think NSMBU and MM2 might be causing a splintering for 2D Mario sales. Think maybe Nintendo made a mistake not releasing NSMBU port earlier in the Switch lifecycle so that it wasn't so close to MM2.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
It is weird that Mario Odyssey is above Mario Maker 2 on the Switch chart.

I think NSMBU and MM2 might be causing a splintering for 2D Mario sales. Think maybe Nintendo made a mistake not releasing NSMBU port earlier in the Switch lifecycle so that it wasn't so close to MM2.

NSMBU is a completely different game than MM2. One is a full-fledge 2D platformer, while one is a level maker first and foremost. Not sure why so many people here keep pushing this line of thinking like buyers can't tell the different.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NSMBU is a completely different game than MM2. One is a full-fledge 2D platformer, while one is a level maker first and foremost. Not sure why so many people here keep pushing this line of thinking like buyers can't tell the different.

I think people know they're different, the issue is if you've just bought NSMBU, odds are you're not really looking to spend another $50+ on another 2D Mario even if it's a different style of experience so soon. Or it's putting people in a position where they have to choose one or the other.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I think people know they're different, the issue is if you've just bought NSMBU, odds are you're not really looking to spend another $50+ on another 2D Mario even if it's a different style of experience so soon. Or it's putting people in a position where they have to choose one or the other.

But MM2 isn't 'another 2D Mario game with a different style', it's a level maker. And there were months different NSMBU and MM2.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wow DS.

Do we know if Benji's prediction of it selling faster than MGSV turned out to be true or not?

Oct 25, 2017
do benji's predictions ever turn out to be true? he was predicting really strong sales for control.
A majority of his predictions turn out to be true, yes. He overviews his slice of viewable market data and extrapolates on it. It's mostly accurate but because it's not the whole market, anomalies can lead to false conclusions.