• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
He pretty clearly does not support sending troops into Mexico from the video?

it's... really clear, he puts like 5 conditions that would never occur on sending troops to Mexico if the Mexico government desperately wanted it and there were no other alternatives.

How about zero conditions? How about we not do it at all period? The absolute best thing America can do for Mexico is to END THE DRUG WAR. It is entirely possible for them to do that with domestic policy, and to really hammer the point home, the U.S Government can lobby allied countries with a similar hostile attitude towards drugs to do the same.

Seriously this is not even up for debate. I don't care what circumstances Mayor Pete thinks he can put on it, armed intervention by the U.S army into Mexico is possibly the single worst foreign policy idea currently going around. You think the border is bad now?

Oct 26, 2017
How about zero conditions? How about we not do it at all period? The absolute best thing America can do for Mexico is to END THE DRUG WAR. It is entirely possible for them to do that with domestic policy, and to really hammer the point home, the U.S Government can lobby allied countries with a similar hostile attitude towards Drugs to do the same.

Seriously this is not even up for debate. I don't care what circumstances Mayor Pete thinks he can put on it, armed intervention by the U.S army into Mexico is possibly the single worst foreign policy idea currently going around. You think the border is bad now?

He literally talks about ending the drug war in the video?

Did you watch the video?

Deleted member 43514

User requested account closure
Banned
May 16, 2018

I went from being interested in his views to despising him. He is polling 0% with blacks and 2% with Latinos. His "Douglass plan" is a mockery and he can't keep his own house in order.

I really think Biden or Warren will get it in the end. Sanders at this point i support the most but I'm genuinely concerned he will auto-lose to Trump.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

GottaBelieve

May 11, 2019
so wait because of one tweet you're gonna ignore a whole chain or cited, sourced criticisms?

I read it.

a lot of it is, at its best, overstated,

I take this seriously, i want to make the best choice I can. But this specific twitter thread has a remarkably clear bias.

i try to ignore that and take the facts as they are, but in this case it's hard to ignore

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I went from being interested in his views to despising him. He is polling 0% with blacks and 2% with Latinos. His "Douglass plan" is a mockery and he can't keep his own house in order.

I really think Biden or Warren will get it in the end. Sanders at this point i support the most but I'm genuinely concerned he will auto-lose to Trump.

How auto-lose? If anything I'd say it's the other way around. I'm afraid he'll lose the primary to Biden or Warren, but if Bernie were to win the nominee, he'd be the best to take on Trump compared to Biden and Warren, many polls have shown this.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mayo Pete is trash. Is shocking no one went after him during this debate. These things are such a waste of everyone's time.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
The hell do people see in Pete? He's the male version of Klob. Boring. Uninspiring.

Agreed. he is probably the reason Beto went out early. He's white and comes across as fairly bland / harmless, and occupies the democratic middle ground that Obama did. I find him rather bland and interesting in political terms, but I suppose that appeals to people's inherent conservatism in various forms.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. he is probably the reason Beto went out early. He's white and comes across as fairly bland / harmless, and occupies the democratic middle ground that Obama did. I find him rather bland and interesting in political terms, but I suppose that appeals to people's inherent conservatism in various forms.
I think people like him very superficial non-substantive reasons. "He's smart! He reminds me of Obama! He speaks in complete sentences!"

Oct 25, 2017

(it seems I don't know how to embed tweets but I'm referring to the tweet I've linked)

this is the dumbest take I've seen in a long time, so I'm gonna go ahead and ignore this random tweeter.

l appreciate your perspective, though
I read it.

a lot of it is, at its best, overstated,

I take this seriously, i want to make the best choice I can. But this specific twitter thread has a remarkably clear bias.

i try to ignore that and take the facts as they are, but in this case it's hard to ignore
"dumbest take I've seen in a long time"
"remarkably clear bias"

Can you go on? There is a lot in that thread, much of it disqualifying (for a Democratic candidate for president), and it is generally well sourced. Seems like you want to discredit it completely without giving the least bit of evidence as to why.

eebster

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
"remarkably clear bias"

Can you go on? There is a lot in that thread, much of it disqualifying (for a Democratic candidate for president), and it is generally well sourced. Seems like you want to discredit it completely without giving the least bit of evidence as to why.

That twitter thread doesn't even mention the whole faking dozens of black endorsements stuff which he should've been grilled for in the debate but the media loves him so obviously he wasn't

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I think people like him very superficial non-substantive reasons. "He's smart! He reminds me of Obama! He speaks in complete sentences!"

Agreed. And oops, i meant 'uninteresting in political terms'. Also, he may come across as articulate, which may seem astonishing in an era of Trump. But really, it is not that big of a browny point. it is a super low bar.

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish someone would call Klobuchar out on being an abusive monster to her staff.

The kind of person with the gall to do this will likely suffer a real or fictitious attack from a former staffer of their own within hours.

This football got tossed around for a couple news cycles and it got little reaction. There's plenty of other much more important things going on that they don't have time to talk about, like climate change.

DiscoShark

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't watch all of it but came away satisfied with the way Pete performed, pending his performance in some key early states I think I've pretty much solidified my choice for him when the primaries roll around. Hopefully he can break into places that aren't just Iowa.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't watch all of it but came away satisfied with the way Pete performed, pending his performance in some key early states I think I've pretty much solidified my choice for him when the primaries roll around. Hopefully he can break into places that aren't just Iowa.
Out of curiosity, who's your second choice?

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Biden's "You have to keep punching at violence toward women" was the best thing of the night.

I can't believe his senile butt is in the lead.

DiscoShark

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Out of curiosity, who's your second choice?
My ranking would go something like ...

1. Pete
2. Sanders
3. Warren

Warren was my number 1 until her healthcare plan roll-out but I have concerns about Sander's age, especially after the heartattack scare. If the two combined into a single ticket they'd make for a more compelling package.

I'll vote for whoever gets the nomination v. Trump at the end of the day though.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I don't understand why the pro-Bernie media is making up these random attacks that make no sense and are largely fabricated.

Just attack him on experience and race... pretty simple and not made up.

"Pete is in the pocket of fossil fuels" and "Pete wants to send troops to Mexico" are largely just... total lies?

Huh? Is Latino rebels a Bernie supporting group? Because this was an attack Tulsi made. I'm not sure what Bernie or his supporters have to do with this.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
I am not watching another debate till its at least down to 5 people. It is kind of a joke to keep giving so many of the people spotlight that haven't so far, and wont in the future, be able to raise their %.

Oct 27, 2017

(it seems I don't know how to embed tweets but I'm referring to the tweet I've linked)

this is the dumbest take I've seen in a long time, so I'm gonna go ahead and ignore this random tweeter.

l appreciate your perspective, though

It's kind of a relatively well sourced thread tho. And if, for example, nothing here concerns you at all, then I don't think anything would really convince you otherwise.

GottaBelieve

May 11, 2019
"remarkably clear bias"

I was referring to the tweet I linked( which seems to have been deleted?)not the thread about Pete. The thread is indeed well sourced

Edit: I see what you meant. I'll get back to you on that as I am at work

Last edited:

Deleted member 58401

Banned
Jul 7, 2019
Agreed. And oops, i meant 'uninteresting in political terms'. Also, he may come across as articulate, which may seem astonishing in an era of Trump. But really, it is not that big of a browny point. it is a super low bar.
You would think, but half the candidates can barely speak. Biden, Kamala, Klob. But, generally, it's pretty condescending to say his allure is only because white how well he speaks.

It's basically minorities, Era, and Sanders fans who hate Pete. The real world doesn't read Jacobin or give a fuck about McKinsey. Most people don't know what that is.

He will remain in the thick of things until at least Super Tuesday. It would be more productive to shit on his policies than his use of a stock photo, if the goal is to sway people.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mayor Pete can suck a fuck, so let's get that out of the way.

I too was disappointed that no one crushed the flimsy narratives around Buttigieg last night. The debates are his strong suit for sure but the other front-runners didn't go at him directly. That's a mistake.

I do have to say, though, what's Pete's realistic path to victory? He has no black or brown support. None. The man's record on race as a mayor is fucking beyond abysmal and black America finds him unpalatable. Even if he can get some early wins in white states Buttigieg is not going to pull black voters from Biden, Sanders, and Warren.

Seattle6418

Oct 25, 2017
Brasília Brazil
Also how come no one could land a successful hit on Pete? Garbage tried but he actually clowned on her.

I sincerely don´t think he clowned on her because he brought up Assad. Of course her attack was kind of weak, but his response was in the vein of whataboutism, that´s never a good answer. I don´t think that the future president saying he won´t talk to dictators is a good policy idea, the world is full of them.

We should despise them, but it doesn´t mean we won´t engage in conversations.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
You would think, but half the candidates can barely speak. Biden, Kamala, Klob. But, generally, it's pretty condescending to say his allure is only because white how well he speaks.

It's basically minorities, Era, and Sanders fans who hate Pete. The real world doesn't read Jacobin or give a fuck about McKinsey. Most people don't know what that is.

He will remain in the thick of things until at least Super Tuesday. It would be more productive to shit on his policies than his use of a stock photo, if the goal is to sway people.

Well that is the point. His policies are a watered down Medicare proposal...nada substantive on progressive taxation, subsidies for solar and wind energy, some mumblings about more principled foreign policy, but nothing substantive in terms of dealing with Saudia Arabia, Palestine-Israel, etc. He isn't that interesting in policy terms, other than he seems to be positioning himself as a heir to Obama's cleancut presentation and aspirational rhetoric with only moderately progressive policy positions.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
imo it was bad for gabbard to meet with assad and come back spewing his talking points, especially when she was not in a position to do Diplomacy on the level of the president of the united states

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Just the fact that some random mayor from bumfuck Indiana has managed to get this far, makes me think he knows what he's doing and that his current support shouldn't hold much value compared to the support he'd gain if he wins Iowa.

The same thought basis we use for saying Warren would rise if she won Iowa, or that Biden would sink when he loses Iowa, should be applied to Pete IMO.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Iowa Democratic primary results since 1980:

1980 (January 21): Jimmy Carter (59%) and Ted Kennedy (31%)

1984 (February 20): Walter Mondale (49%), Gary Hart (17%), George McGovern (10%), Alan Cranston (7%), John Glenn (4%), Reubin Askew (3%), and Jesse Jackson (2%)

1988 (February 8): Dick Gephardt (31%), Paul Simon (27%), Michael Dukakis (22%), and Bruce Babbitt (6%)

1992 (February 10): Tom Harkin (76%), "Uncommitted" (12%), Paul Tsongas (4%), Bill Clinton (3%), Bob Kerrey (2%), and Jerry Brown (2%)

1996 (February 12): Bill Clinton (98%), "Uncommitted" (1%), and Ralph Nader (1%)
2000 (January 24): Al Gore (63%), and Bill Bradley (37%)

2004 (January 19): John Kerry (38%), John Edwards (32%), Howard Dean (18%), Dick Gephardt (11%), and Dennis Kucinich (1%)

2008 (January 3): Barack Obama (38%), John Edwards (30%), Hillary Clinton (29%), Bill Richardson (2%), and Joe Biden (1%)[34]

2012 (January 3): Barack Obama (98%), and "Uncommitted" (2%)[23]

2016 (February 1): Hillary Clinton (49.8%), Bernie Sanders (49.6%), and Martin O'Malley (0.5%) [35][36]

Since 1996 the winner goes on to be the nom
1992 is an interesting year

Seattle6418

Oct 25, 2017
Brasília Brazil
Just the fact that some random mayor from bumfuck Indiana has managed to get this far, makes me think he knows what he's doing and that his current support shouldn't hold much value compared to the support he'd gain if he wins Iowa.

The same thought basis we use for saying Warren would rise if she won Iowa, or that Biden would sink when he loses Iowa, should be applied to Pete IMO.

Let´s not forget that Pete is outspending the next highest candidate 10-1 in TV ads in Iowa.

He´s going all in, and he might be peaking way too early. In times of social media and Internet, being flavor of the month in November is not a good thing.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Iowa Democratic primary results since 1980:

1980 (January 21): Jimmy Carter (59%) and Ted Kennedy (31%)

1984 (February 20): Walter Mondale (49%), Gary Hart (17%), George McGovern (10%), Alan Cranston (7%), John Glenn (4%), Reubin Askew (3%), and Jesse Jackson (2%)

1988 (February 8): Dick Gephardt (31%), Paul Simon (27%), Michael Dukakis (22%), and Bruce Babbitt (6%)

1992 (February 10): Tom Harkin (76%), "Uncommitted" (12%), Paul Tsongas (4%), Bill Clinton (3%), Bob Kerrey (2%), and Jerry Brown (2%)

1996 (February 12): Bill Clinton (98%), "Uncommitted" (1%), and Ralph Nader (1%)
2000 (January 24): Al Gore (63%), and Bill Bradley (37%)

2004 (January 19): John Kerry (38%), John Edwards (32%), Howard Dean (18%), Dick Gephardt (11%), and Dennis Kucinich (1%)

2008 (January 3): Barack Obama (38%), John Edwards (30%), Hillary Clinton (29%), Bill Richardson (2%), and Joe Biden (1%)[34]

2012 (January 3): Barack Obama (98%), and "Uncommitted" (2%)[23]

2016 (February 1): Hillary Clinton (49.8%), Bernie Sanders (49.6%), and Martin O'Malley (0.5%) [35][36]

Since 1996 the winner goes on to be the nom
1992 is an interesting year

Looked into it and the guy who won Iowa in 1992 was a Senator for Iowa. Makes sense why he won.

Deleted member 58401

Banned
Jul 7, 2019
Well that is the point. His policies are a watered down Medicare proposal...nada substantive on progressive taxation, subsidies for solar and wind energy, some mumblings about more principled foreign policy, but nothing substantive in terms of dealing with Saudia Arabia, Palestine-Israel, etc. He isn't that interesting in policy terms, other than he seems to be positioning himself as a heir to Obama's cleancut presentation and aspirational rhetoric with only moderately progressive policy positions.
Yeah, this. That's more like it. I like his supreme court idea, his national service plan (not the military part - the teach for America and green new deal part), and obviously killing the electoral college, though it won't get done. Public option health care could maybe pass easier than M4A. Otherwise, not much going for him.

Note: I'd vote for him if I have to.