• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
cwvxzje510u11.jpg

Obviously I had other plans for the OT this month, but last week we were all floored by Roman Reigns when he announced his leukemia has returned and he must take time off to address it. So I decided to change direction and make this OT a celebration of his work to this point. The veracity of his push aside, Roman has delivered great matches on numerous occasions and I'm going to highlight what I think are some of his best. Feel free to add your own! Let's start with my favorite.

Roman Reigns vs. AJ Styles for the WWE Championship at Extreme Rules

FamousEntireGelding-size_restricted.gif

tenor.gif

After a great match the month prior at Payback, Roman and AJ put on another great showing at Extreme Rules. Both went all out and Roman's power really showed well against a smaller guy in AJ. I've always thought Roman was at his best working with guys he could throw around well. It also helped that he was able to show more of a meaner edge against another babyface that the crowd was behind. These two beat the hell out of each other and it still stands out to me as the best match of Roman's career so far.

Roman Reigns vs. Brock Lesnar for the WWE Championship at Wrestlemania 31

SWiF.gif

Reigns.gif

giphy.gif

These two guys just beat the absolute shit out of each other until Seth showed up and cashed-in. It was a fight. Brock being the madman he is busted himself hardway on that ring post spot. I feel this match in general goes under-appreciated because of the horrendous booking decisions surrounding it, but it's clear these two were determined to go out and put on a brutal match and I think they accomplished that and then some. I don't feel that any of their matches together since this one have been able to get back to this level.

Roman Reigns vs. Daniel Bryan at Fastlane

Bryan-sobre-reigns.gif

aC5_t6.gif

60kR.gif

Going back to what I said about Roman working best with smaller guys, Roman and Bryan had a very different kind of match than Roman and AJ did, but it worked similarly well. Roman's power meshed well with Bryan trying to technically tear him apart. Like the Brock match, I think this match isn't remembered well given the booking and the fact that Roman won, but these two had a type of chemistry that I don't think Roman has found with anyone else. I wouldn't say it's Roman's best match, but it's definitely unique in his catalog. And I think ultimately that's one of the best things I can say about Roman in the ring is that he's managed to have good to great matches with a wide variety of guys. He's done power stuff with Brock, he's matched up well with a technical guy in Bryan, and he looked great against a flyer in AJ.

So what are your favorite Roman matches? Do you think I made any bad choices? Let's collect some of the best ones so we can show our love to the Big Dog. And of course we all wish him the absolute best in his fight with leukemia and I have zero doubt that he's going to win that fight and return to our screens to keep punching and spearing our faves. Soon we'll be sick of him all over again, and I can't wait. :)

tenor.gif

ZeBatsy

Oct 27, 2017
Anything from the Roman vs Braun feud from 2017 is something to check out. Roman in that feud bumped his ass off for Braun and arguably helped make Braun as a wrestler. He put in every bit of effort to make Braun look incredible. Their matches were enjoyable, and the segments were very fun to watch with one of them doing anything to beat up the other.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Roman vs Miz on Raw for the IC Title was a legit fantastic match. Never would've thought those two had great chemistry.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Nice OP Serene, I'm glad you went with a genuine Ace after all. Roman's work with Braun was by far his best stuff, I'm not a huge fan of either but they were something way more than the sum of their parts when they were together in the ring.

wonzo

Oct 25, 2017
roman owns and the constant shit he gets from smarks because of bad booking sucks. if i ever watch wwe again it'll be when he returns

klonere

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I would trade the entirety of the Elite to WWE in exchange for Roman in NJPW

Hope he gets through this.

Oct 25, 2017
Always been a fan of Roman as a wrestler and as a person. Can't wait for him to come back.

Should I watch NXT or Ultima Lucha tonight?

The Best of Super Jr Tag League tournament kind of sucks. They shouldn't of made it round robin. There's been some good matches, but I don't theres enough to justify this format

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Anything from the Roman vs Braun feud from 2017 is something to check out. Roman in that feud bumped his ass off for Braun and arguably helped make Braun as a wrestler. He put in every bit of effort to make Braun look incredible. Their matches were enjoyable, and the segments were very fun to watch with one of them doing anything to beat up the other.

Roman actually bumps a lot... like a lot. Again, his problem was never himself, it was the awful booking. Hoping for the best.

Also, November is Takeover month!

e28365a8e82596fd6780f2f478fa7349.gif

foggy

Oct 25, 2017
Always been a fan of Roman as a wrestler and as a person. Can't wait for him to come back.

Should I watch NXT or Ultima Lucha tonight?

The Best of Super Jr Tag League tournament kind of sucks. They shouldn't of made it round robin. There's been some good matches, but I don't theres enough to justify this format

It's a tag tourney, just watch the Korakuen shows and finals

large_gourd

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 29, 2018
glad to see nattie taking a stand. too many kids out there grabbing all the stoop broccoli for themselves.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
It'd be fake as fuck of me to act like I was a fan of Roman before. Having said that, him vs. AJ Styles was good, and him vs Braun Strowman was good as well. Him vs. Brock was always garbage, but I'm gonna blame Brock for it.

Anyway, I'm putting whoever makes a Crown Jewel OT on ignore lol Please don't do it Serene, you're one of my favorite people here and this place would too depressing to read through without you

large_gourd

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 29, 2018
it seems like everyone agrees no crown jewel OT. seems like it goes without saying, but just in case.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
fuck Crown Jewel...

...but they get my $10 later this month fam, I need my Takeover :(

OP
OP
Serene

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It'd be fake as fuck of me to act like I was a fan of Roman before. Having said that, him vs. AJ Styles was good, and him vs Braun Strowman was good as well. Him vs. Brock was always garbage, but I'm gonna blame Brock for it.

Anyway, I'm putting whoever makes a Crown Jewel OT on ignore lol Please don't do it Serene, you're one of my favorite people here and this place would too depressing to read through without you

I would never.

DarkstarIV

Feb 21, 2018
Gonzalez From the previous OT, figured I would tell you that the pumpkins that Kairi and Io carved were the first ones they ever did, according to Mia Yim.

OP
OP
Serene

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
where else will you see pretty good wrestling online??

In the major US scene? Hmm.....

ROH? Nope.

PWG? Still no BOLA DVDs.

Impact? Living on fumes, but still pretty good lately.

MLW? Hit or miss.

EVOLVE? Dead, in essence.

The US scene is in a pretty bad spot in terms of high-end promotions tbh.

OP
OP
Serene

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
First names have been announced for the Giant Baba Memorial Show

Hiroshi Tanahashi [NJPW]

Kento Miyahara [AJPW]

Naomichi Marufuji [NOAH]

Jun Akiyama [AJPW]

Daisuke Sekimoto [BJW]

The Great Kojika [BJW]

Takao Omori [AJPW]

Taichi [NJPW]

Yoshinobu Kanemaru [NJPW]

Tomoaki Honma [NJPW]

Masanobu Fuchi [AJPW]

Kazushi Miyamoto [FREE]

Tomohiko Hashimoto [FREE]

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Thinking about going to the MLW show in Chicago on 11/8:

DqTpk3lWwAMIJ-B.jpg:small

OP
OP
Serene

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Joey Ryan and Hornswoggle

Fire that team into the sun

SeroTyler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd share that gif of the week they tried teaming Roman and Bray together, but it hurts too much.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about going to the MLW show in Chicago on 11/8:

DqTpk3lWwAMIJ-B.jpg:small
show is half garbage and half good. not expecting any of the good ones to be amazing but there's bleacher seats for $15 after fees.....really can't go wrong

Low Ki/Strickland could be amazing but I'm keeping expectations in check

SeroTyler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
On a purely selfish fan level, I'm bummed the diagnosis came one month before an apparent rematch with AJ. Those matches were the ones that pulled me off the Roman hate train.

This is one of the best modern WWE promos, absolutely genius stuff.

He's gonna beat this easy and come back to be the ace he was always meant to be.

Gonzalez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gonzalez From the previous OT, figured I would tell you that the pumpkins that Kairi and Io carved were the first ones they ever did, according to Mia Yim.
Jesus, Kairi's like when Clark Kent tried out for the track team for the first time, and smoked everybody, causing Pa Kent to tell Clark "Fuck son, maybe you should let them win".

Last edited:

Vylash

Oct 25, 2017
can't decide if the best 205 live storyline is cedric not getting his rematch because he's a fucking loser, or tjp collecting lucha masks

also lmao at the crowd totally falling for that cedric heel turn fakeout at the end

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
can't decide if the best 205 live storyline is cedric not getting his rematch because he's a fucking loser, or tjp collecting lucha masks

also lmao at the crowd totally falling for that cedric heel turn fakeout at the end
I didn't want to spoil that since I saw it live yesterday but it got me to pop. They knew what they were doing. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.