• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
so if Bray wraps his new belt around his face he can pull off this amazing trick like Sting?

source.gif

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NXT as a show is fantastic but as a concept and brand, it's been the worst thing to happen to pro wrestling in the 2010s.

Let's start the dialogue.

Aeon712

May 1, 2018
been watching the NXT TV shows before my sub expires, Riddle vs Cole from when AEW debuted was hor fire. Io vs Mia isnt bad... man, Mia isnt very good is she? But she tries so hard and bumps like a madwoman so it feels bad to badmouth her :(

edit: oh wow didnt know Bianca is married to Montez Ford
What did you think of Keith Lee vs Djokovic 2? Think that was the same ep as Riddle vs Cole.

Egg0

Oct 25, 2017
I watch one ted and maria vlog and now I get a bunch of suggestions for it.

But like... all these vlogs were uploaded within a couple days???

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Candice carried Shayna to a nice title match. Shayna's neverending title reign aside, I do like that she made what is basically a sleeper meaningful /shrug

Pete Dunne vs Danny Burch was good but too short

Last edited:

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NXT as a show is fantastic but as a concept and brand, it's been the worst thing to happen to pro wrestling in the 2010s.

It's a double-edged sword. NXT getting over and becoming big proved that style of wrestling could draw and be popular at the highest level in the US (selling out Brooklyn was a big moment for that).

That had the effect of causing WWE to want to sign up more indie guys (which is a negative) and actually push them and pay them (which is a positive). Guys like Ricochet or Lio Rush would have had limited chances to make real money in wrestling a decade ago. But I also think, to a degree, NXT whet the appetite of a certain subset of fans for an alternative and helped create the desire in the market that AEW has filled.

So I don't think it's fair at all to say it's the worst thing. Not even totally certain it's a net negative from a business perspective. It's got pros and cons.

Deleted member 8583

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

*I dropped WWE at the beginning of 2018, so my opinion reflects that.

I do not like WWE indy style. It feels too much like RoH finishers kick out spamming for their big matches (to the surprise of no one, as current WWE base is RoH centric). The movesets being limited does not help. Then a lot of their matches just feel like the indies greatest hits but in the new WWE style. When it comes to the weekly tv-shows, they felt mediocre (the 1 hour ones), plenty of filler and bad matches with the developing, WWE only, talent. I think as a developing brand it did help develop some interesting wrestlers: The Revival, American Alpha, Velveteen Dream, Sasha and repackage some indy / Japanese wrestler: Asuka, DIY, Strong, Almas, Kairi Sane, but eventually all that was meaningless once they are moved to the main shows.

The real damage it did it was taking the best talent the indies had to give for cheap. On the other hand, it made other companies start paying better for their talent (even if it meant paying a lot to wrestlers like Taven). The real losers are the UK and US indie scenes. Lucha and Puroresu talent are getting payed better than in years.

Adree

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They should call her Kris Stat-lander and give her a character where all she cares about are the rankings.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017

ah good. Did you watch the latest NXT show where Cole was going on about TUE being the "ironmen of nxt"? You reckon that leads to a ironman triple threat between Cole / Ciampa / Balor in February? That's never been done right? And its actually a better excuse to have multiple pinfalls than just 1 on 1 imo.

twinturbo2

Oct 27, 2017
Jupiter, FL
They did already. WWE was going to buy out Stardom originally. Bushiroad then bought out the company before WWE could.

Kidani also wants Kairi and Io back. Although Kairi might come back, unless Io is incredibly mistreated, she isn't coming back considering she basically put Stardom creative on blast in an interview a little while back.

And you have to imagine if Bushiroad gets Sareee, WWE is going to make sure that Kairi and Io have incentives to stick around.
Kairi and Asuka are booked into a handicap match against Charlotte on Raw next Monday. Vince just wants to embarrass his Japanese talent again. How is that an incentive?

Aeon712

May 1, 2018
ah good. Did you watch the latest NXT show where Cole was going on about TUE being the "ironmen of nxt"? You reckon that leads to a ironman triple threat between Cole / Ciampa / Balor in February? That's never been done right? And its actually a better excuse to have multiple pinfalls than just 1 on 1 imo.
Great now anything other then this will be a disappointment.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey~ I recently catch the wrestling bug by watching a lot of videos on Youtube, how can I get started if I know next to nothing about it?

Avoid WWE or watch it casually, who knows. But AEW is relatively new, it's on weekly every Wednesday on TNT, it's got a free youtube show that features matches not seen on television that also features some pretty great stuff. Less than 10 episodes in at this point? So now is as good a time as any, as most characters and storylines are taking off and finding their footing. Plus, there is a lot of new talent that are being seen on a wider stage for the first time, so seeing them grow is pretty neat.

They will typically recap and fill you in on commentary if you miss anything. You'll get hype packages and stuff before PPVs as well to inform you why these people hate one another.

foggy

Oct 25, 2017
Hey~ I recently catch the wrestling bug by watching a lot of videos on Youtube, how can I get started if I know next to nothing about it?

Don't worry about knowing next to nothing, just pick out what speaks to you and everything will fall into place. Most major promotions have free matches on Youtube. If you're interested in Japanese or Mexican wrestling, plenty of folks here can let you know what's up.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Bandido "signing with CMLL" may actually be "agreed to work some dates." This appears to be something close to the Fenix/Penta CMLL run. It is the dream of most luchadors to main Arena Mexico. Like the Lucha Brothers, Bandido gets to do it on his terms. Bandido's probably not going to be working Tuesday Arena Mexico shots, but selected Fridays and other big shows. It seemed strange to run this when they did ā€“ the legends show is already announced next week, Bandido's booked the following two weeks ā€“ but CMLL made a lineup change to get him on the card next week.

Bandido signing with CMLL after winning The Crash championship suggests he's not expecting to go to WWE to start 2020. Flamita signing with ROH and Bandido signing with a ROH affiliated promotion hint towards Bandido extended his relationship with ROH, though I don't think it's a done deal. AEW seems open to letting people work where ever else they want on off days. I do think a decision on Bandido's US future is probably going to have to be made soon, prior to Final Battle.

Oct 25, 2017
VIC, AUSTRALIA
My advice would be to take a taste of all the different promotions and styles, living in a golden age of access where you can easily jump into joshi/lucha/us/uk/euro wrestling through streaming/youtube/facebook for tons of promotions.

Another key thing IMO is following a bunch of wrestling focused accounts on Twitter. Even if you don't get time to watch the matches at least you get a taste of the wrestlers and the style.
TDE for WWE/NXT/AEW/Joshi gifs
Roy for Lucha gifs
Maffew for botch gifs

2 of the bigger US indies are GCW and Beyond, GCW are the main tastemaker feeding breaking out talent up to the bigger leagues with cheap, constant PPV's while Beyond are similar but run a weekly TV show on IWTV streaming. Beyond also put a ton of matches up on their Youtube channel which I'd recommend checking out.

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix

I think the quickest way to sustain and grow a love of wrestling is:

• Watch lucha. And start with Lucha Libre AAA. Most of their shows are available on Twitch live (including tonight's) and their Wednesday show, Lucha Capital is on Facebook Watch.
  • Watch DDT. Some great, high-energy wrestling and comedy for days. Subscribing to DDT Universe will also net you access to TJPW which is one of the best women's promotions going.

Oct 27, 2017
Avoid WWE or watch it casually, who knows. But AEW is relatively new, it's on weekly every Wednesday on TNT, it's got a free youtube show that features matches not seen on television that also features some pretty great stuff. Less than 10 episodes in at this point? So now is as good a time as any, as most characters and storylines are taking off and finding their footing. Plus, there is a lot of new talent that are being seen on a wider stage for the first time, so seeing them grow is pretty neat.

They will typically recap and fill you in on commentary if you miss anything. You'll get hype packages and stuff before PPVs as well to inform you why these people hate one another.
Watch AEW Dynamite on Wednesdays, ask us questions, enjoy and don't worry about missing something, you'll figure it out.
Don't worry about knowing next to nothing, just pick out what speaks to you and everything will fall into place. Most major promotions have free matches on Youtube. If you're interested in Japanese or Mexican wrestling, plenty of folks here can let you know what's up.
What kind of videos did you watch, and who stood out to you?
My advice would be to take a taste of all the different promotions and styles, living in a golden age of access where you can easily jump into joshi/lucha/us/uk/euro wrestling through streaming/youtube/facebook for tons of promotions.

Another key thing IMO is following a bunch of wrestling focused accounts on Twitter. Even if you don't get time to watch the matches at least you get a taste of the wrestlers and the style.
TDE for WWE/NXT/AEW/Joshi gifs
Roy for Lucha gifs
Maffew for botch gifs

2 of the bigger US indies are GCW and Beyond, GCW are the main tastemaker feeding breaking out talent up to the bigger leagues with cheap, constant PPV's while Beyond are similar but run a weekly TV show on IWTV streaming. Beyond also put a ton of matches up on their Youtube channel which I'd recommend checking out.
I think the quickest way to sustain and grow a love of wrestling is:

• Watch lucha. And start with Lucha Libre AAA. Most of their shows are available on Twitch live (including tonight's) and their Wednesday show, Lucha Capital is on Facebook Watch.
  • Watch DDT. Some great, high-energy wrestling and comedy for days. Subscribing to DDT Universe will also net you access to TJPW which is one of the best women's promotions going.
thank you very much for your recommendations! Will certainly look at Twitch tonight.

What kind of videos did you watch, and who stood out to you?

I looked at WWE stuff since I only recognize John Cena and The Rock. Also watched some videogame footage of an old Saturn game because one of the guys (Goldust I think) reminds me of that Jim Sterling character he has.

Friend OhSatan , good Hechicero match alert:

The Dark Deities have blessed us with good technical wrestling today.

That figurefour pin into an elevated inverse figurefour :chefkiss and lol at the middle turnbuckle snapping.

Also the food at the end is daaaaaaaaaamn.

Watch some lucha is mostly free.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
thank you very much for your recommendations! Will certainly look at Twitch tonight.
Hey man, a few years back I was where you're at now. Interested and wanting to see more. Everyone has you going in the right directions as it is now. I'd also recommend Mr. Lariato's list here if you get inrested in NJPW. There's some great stuff here and a lot of the current big WWE stars and AEW guys came from NJPW. This tweet can help you get caught up on the must see stuff from that.

If you ultimately decide you want to check out NJPW the subscription is Ā„999 which is about +/-$10 depending on the strength of the dollar. Just use paypal. It'll handle the conversion for you.