• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did you like their IC match from Sapporo 2018? I feel like a lot of people hated it but i found it to be a great showcase of wrestling and in-ring work.

Yeah, I enjoyed it a lot - the extended figure four spot was a great callback to their previous matches, and Tanahashi's selling was amazing that night. I went from rooting for him to win, to wishing he'd just tap so Suzuki would stop mutilating his leg.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I enjoyed it a lot - the extended figure four spot was a great callback to their previous matches, and Tanahashi's selling was amazing that night. I went from rooting for him to win, to wishing he'd just tap so Suzuki would stop mutilating his leg.

Kind of where I was too. I hadn't felt invested in someone working a limb in a long time and then that match just totally flipped my brain around.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Wish I could have seen Tanahashi in his prime.

I mostly know him as that guy that jobbed to Jay White a million times.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017

I'm probably late on this, but any word on where Tom might be heading?

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017

YarouZ is a sub-brand of DDT that runs infrequently (like once a year, maybe), and it can get uhhhhhhh...problematic.

Like they just straight up did blackface one year. English Update doesn't even bother translating the YarouZ shows, if that tells you anything.

EDIT: Okay just checked, and they've definitely stopped doing the blackface, so that's good.

Last edited:

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Dude he's winning.

This whole story is his.

No, this story is Ibushi's. this would again be an example of NJPW pulling the trigger too late. The time for Naito to become champ at WK was two years ago when he faced Okada after winning the G1. This is Ibushi's year, and giving it to Naito now would just be making up for a mistake they never should've made and making a new one.

Oct 25, 2017
YarouZ is a sub-brand of DDT that runs infrequently (like once a year, maybe), and it can get uhhhhhhh...problematic.

Like they just straight up did blackface one year. English Update doesn't even bother translating the YarouZ shows, if that tells you anything.

EDIT: Okay just checked, and they've definitely stopped doing the blackface, so that's good.

Jesus, that's, uh, bad

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
No, this story is Ibushi's. this would again be an example of NJPW pulling the trigger too late. The time for Naito to become champ at WK was two years ago when he faced Okada after winning the G1. This is Ibushi's year, and giving it to Naito now would just be making up for a mistake they never should've made and making a new one.

If it was Ibushi he wouldn't have beat Okada in the G1...

And you're wrong because at that time there was still massive unfinished business between Okada and Omega, which was the feud that defined that title run, and records left to break.

They've been drawing everything from Naito's past here down to the fan vote shit. Naito was the first to declare he wanted to be double champion. The story for Naito has always been he can't beat Okada at the Dome, you need more than one for that. Okada vs Naito is the only match that hasn't been done recently.You can say Naito is going in on a losing streak but if the goal is Naito finally gets the title win at the Dome over Okada, you have to do it on Night 2 not night 1 because there's no following up on that,so he had to lose the G1, and to get him and Jay White in you basically had to do the White win because if Naito just beats White there's no reason for a rematch and you had to do the title match because White beat Naitoin the G1, which had to happen to give White something going into the finals.

Look at the options: They aren't doing White/Ibushi as a Dome main event. Naito/Ibushi has been done repreatedly this year, they aren't likely closing it with that eithe, nor are they closing with White/Okada, It's Naito/Okada

Plus ultimately it tells the story of Naito truly earning it all.

I don;t think there's some huge Ibushi story here, whereas there is like 5 years of Naito shit here.

Naito is still the most popular guy, still the one people love there.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Kris Statlander showing up in AEW is pretty neat

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
That's aesthetic, it's just one part of the overall presentation and the most likely to change with the times - there's a bunch of other ways that wrestling shows could be trying to do something different, but for the most part they don't. TV wrestling largely has the same setting, the same feel, the same format as it's had or over 20 years at this point.

Essentially, yes. I miss Lucha Underground's attempts to break the mould, but the show itself went off the rails waaaay too quickly.

I think NJPW's presentation camera wise is pretty ideal for wrestling, combined with some stuff from 80s wrestling like roadie runs

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
y4PpQ9R.png

Huge fan of this gimmick.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes!

LU was a good evolution at a stale US wrestling presentation. Instead of embracing the bullshit "sport like presentation" it went all in on the supernatural, mysterious and just crazy aspect of lucha.

Considering how Season 4 went I don't know if I'd actually want to see Lucha Underground return but I'm glad it was around when it was. Felt like a television show about wrestling rather than a wrestling show, and I loved it for that.

Also had the best debuts. I mainly watched WWE and some NJPW when it debuted, so it introduced me to a ton of new folks

Aeon712

May 1, 2018

Is that really Rush wife? And if so is that how they got him back by including his wife into a story?

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think speculating over someones mental health over twitter posts ia pretty distasteful even for this industry.

Yet when people talk about battling their mental illness or open up how it was the crux of whatever their drama was, then peoole say they're just making excuses. It needs to be talked about, period.

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yet when people talk about battling their mental illness or open up how it was the crux of whatever their drama was, then peoole say they're just making excuses. It needs to be talked about, period.
I agree we should be more open about these things but it is up to the person going through it to disclose what they are going through. Wrestling fans on twitter openly speculating/gossiping about someone is not right.