• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hijukal

Oct 25, 2017
Japan is suggested all the time, I'm sure it'd be great (I've probably suggested it more than once too!) and all but there are probably already enough games set in that era.

I'd like to see the Khmer empire in the 1100s at the height of its power. Or possibly somewhere in South America - I'm sure they could shoehorn Nazca Lines in there somewhere. Or if you wanted more recent history, Hong Kong and the Kowloon Walled City, but I'm not sure it'd be a good fit.

bigbaldwolf86

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan as a million people have already suggested. It's probably the only setting that could pull me back into the series

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017
Japan would offer beautiful vistas, but we have already seen so many games/anime/movies covering the different eras they would take that I'd rather get something else.

China during Mongol invasion or Three Kingdoms would be nice.

Oct 27, 2017
Some ninja action in a Japan setting would be amazing, I would buy that game.
China and the Viking era would interest me too.

piratecap

Oct 27, 2017
Some ninja action in a Japan setting would be amazing, I would buy that game.
China and the Viking era would interest me too.
Yes, Japan is obviously where it needs to go. Imagine sneaking around and stealth killing with shurikens and katanas ninja style. Maybe they could do a hybrid ninja/assassins creed outfit .. I'm very bad at history, did samurais and ninjas exist in the same time period?

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ancient Greece, but I don't think it would be very interesting unless they took some major artistic liberties.

I'm basically imagining the big city from Disney's Hercules. That shit was magnificent.

Slayerx

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really not sure as I was excited for origin because of the setting and at the moment the game isn't really clicking with me.

They need to make sure if they pick say Japan they really delve into the history and build the lore around it.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
There is China, there is ancient Rome, there is ancient Greece and there is the future where they can get creative.

A more modern setup with South Africa and Apartheit could be a good fit too. Russia is another possibility (Tsar).

Last edited:

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no....why would you ever want that...?

文化大革命 (Cultural Revolution, aka Communist Revolution) is the darkest period of Chinese history, millions of people died and suffered during that time, students torture their teachers, murder their parents, all in the name of Mao, it was literally hell.
I mean, we got a game during the French Revolution so...

I think i thought about it because it was a time of massive changes for China and we also know that Assassins and Templars had their hand all over that conflict. (Hinted in the puzzles of Subject 16 and in one of the new comics.)

quesalupa

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
US
I'd like to see Japan but then again I kind of have the whole game and story for that setting planned out so hit me up Ubi if you want a creative director.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Came in to say Japan but a viking one as outlined by OP would be pretty fantastic and I'm an absolute sucker for winter settings.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
China/Japan

We need an oriental setting for AC next, for some variety. After that we could go back to the Roman Empire vs Vikings setting.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
With how well origins was done.....they can tackle japan or China with this current setup and engine.

It's unbelievable how big of a turn around origins is......it's fantastic

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like (feudal) Japan to be done by a Japanese developer, so I'd say Ancient Rome, or South America for something we haven't ever seen yet.

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Would be a political nightmare and it might be too close to the present day, but maybe something involving the Japanese occupation of Korea and the Russo-Japanese war.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely not Japan and samurai, such a generic and boring setting.

-Amsterdam during the golden age
-St Petersburg during the revolution

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Time to stop beating around the bush and give the people what we want and that is China or Japan.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Future.... just want something totally different from the series at this point.
Didn't think of this...that actually sounds really cool.

And for those, like me, saying Japan, I think AC needs to get a bit more fluid to really capture that ninja feel. Ninjas move fast, and are more agile than what we've been able to do so far in AC. They also gotta be less bulky. You can't scale buildings with a hundred weapons on your back. It looks weird.

Varixio

Oct 27, 2017
My vote is for China or Japan, that would be VERY interesting. On the other hand as some posters have said, South America would be a great choice as well.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah at this point nothing much left to cover except the asian culture, and honestly it's a lot more interesting for me than middle eastern. (I live in the middle east)

Oct 27, 2017
People are saying Japan, but that location has been mined enough already I feel. It wouldn't feel fresh.

Aztec, Mayan, Viking eras are good choices. I would also be down with Zulu-era South Africa.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Feudal Japan would be great, but not so soon after Origins. They should keep that in their back-pocket for the next mid-series refresh.

I like the sound of India though, even if Chronicles ventured there.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I feel like we get one of these threads everytime a new AC is released, but, hey, It's really nice to speculate and dream about a next AC setting tho, there's so much potential!

Here's mine:

A Vikings setting, starring a female viking lead, I wouldn't mind if they just ripped off Lagertha from Vikings:

Katheryn-Winnick-stars-as-Lagertha-in-seaosn-4-of-History-Channels-Vikings-670x447.jpg

Also, double down on the RPG elements, put seasons on the game, and make winter very unforgiving, with some survival-lite elements, scavenging and etc and a optional survival/hardcore mode as well.

What about you, guys?
I would love to play your AC game, the emphasis on survival during a relentless winter season sounds awesome!

For me personally I just want a setting in feudal Japan, you could be a member of a ninja clan and I'd love RPG elements as well as an amazing combat system based around ninjutsu. You strategize assassination missions before executing, and you and maybe 4-5 other clan members carry out the mission. Customizable armor and weapons, a large map that encourages exploration with secrets and valuable armor and weapons to be found. Oh ya, let me climb anything!

Moon Parade

Oct 25, 2017
Japan. Forever and always.

Mainly because it's so removed from what they've done already, and the series has already been over-saturated with Western-centric settings. Though, I think they're well aware, and a huge part of 'Origins' appeal lies in the variety an Egyptian setting provides.

I would also suggest some of the other settings that they've already visited in the spin-offs (China, Russia, etc).

Last edited:

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Oh no....why would you ever want that...?

文化大革命 (Cultural Revolution, aka Communist Revolution) is the darkest period of Chinese history, millions of people died and suffered during that time, students torture their teachers, murder their parents, all in the name of Mao, it was literally hell.
It's actually been represented in the series before in the comics. Assassin's Creed Templars, to be exact. It's an interesting setting.
Even though it wouldn't be possible for lore reasons (only being able to go backwards *sigh*) i would love a futuristic setting.

Otherwise, Ancient Greece or Japan.
I mean if you want futuristic all they have to do is go so back in time they go to the first civilization/isu era. Probably playing as Eve finally.
I mean, does anyone care about the modern day / animus stuff?

They should just stay in historical settings. Would have been much better
Lot's of people like modern day stuff. It's part of the series' identity and never going away.
the fact that this series still hasn't touched japan baffles me..you would think it would be the perfect setting..way more than industrial era London at least
I mean they've touched feudal Japan a bit in Assassin's Creed Memories, with Hanzo pursuing Nobunaga and stuff.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
My best guess is that whatever Ubisoft studio will make the next planned AC will work closely with the For Honor team as there are a shitload of assets they can use for a Japan or Viking setting.

I myself would like either a Viking setting, or something along the lines of South America, either way some location that is not too heavily covered with games already. The big draw in AC IMO was always the exotic locations, like Renaissance Italy, Constantinople, the carribbean etc.