• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which one is better?

• OG Battlefront 2

Votes: 174 75.3%
  • EA Battlefront 2

Votes: 56 24.2%

• Total voters

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
This generation's Battlefront games have been controversial, to say the least. Even if I personally love both of the new ones, a ton of people still prefer the original versions from the 6th gen.

However, back at launch Battlefront 2 was a very different game in a very different context. The whole internet was incredibly angry with EA for how microtransactions were implemented (not without reason, the game was very P2W), the beta didn't give players the best impression, and in general the game simply wasn't living up to the hype. Thankfully, DICE stuck with it and kept adding gamemodes, maps, heroes and more into the game (content that apparently isn't stopping anytime soon, thankfully) and while my experience with the game is fairly limited (got it a few weeks ago), it's definitely better than its 2005 counterpart.

Oct 25, 2017
Not even in the ball park.

Hype up a new mode for like 1.5 years then if finally launches broken with a single map.
terrible

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
It was always better than OG Battlefront in almost every way. The only issue I have with the game is how unseamless the ground/air combat is. I hate how DICE has transitioned to vehicles not being freely available on the maps. I hate how I can only be in a vehicle if I die and spawn in it.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bought it this week, played it three times and I'm having trouble enjoying it.

It pairs up new players with ones that have all of the highest level cards or whatever equipped. Which is annoying in itself.

Aside from that, having to grind each class to be able to unlock more cards for that one class is bullshit instead of just having a single overall level for everything.

I just find it super terrible system.

Oct 25, 2017
It was always better than OG Battlefront in almost every way. The only issue I have with the game is how unseamless the ground/air combat is. I hate how DICE has transitioned to vehicles not being freely available on the maps. I hate how I can only be in a vehicle if I die and spawn in it.

The vehicle thing disqualifies it automatically from being near the original,
might as well not even be Battlefront/Battlefield its Call of Duty Star Wars with Star Wars themed score streaks.

I'll say it right now, I absolutely will not buy another Battlefield or Battlefront game unless DICE gets their shit together on the vehicle system from everything after BF4.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
It was a game with a lot of potential but they haven't really done much with it, which unfortunately seems to be dice's new strategy in BFV as well. Galactic assault is dull af after a few matches, until these ea battlefronts have a regular conquest mode (y'know....like a battlefront game) it's not even comparable in my eyes. I had fun with it though, but every match plays out exactly the same, there's no variance. Each map is a linear meatgrinder, hell some maps are so badly designed I've never seen it progress past the 2nd stage (looking at you Jakku).

Me and my friends still bust out old consoles to play galactic conquest from time to time and have a blast.

Last edited:

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Even if the production values were lacking, I still found the 501st capaign to be way better than what we got in the Dice games.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I can't even get into an online match on PC, unless it's an all hero mode. I beleive I only paid $12, but since the campaign is so bad, it stil feels like I got ripped off.

It actually bums me out, as I enjoyed Battlefront 1. I would rather not double-dip, just to have a chance at there being at least some online matches available.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
It's a beautiful game, but the card system is awful, the vehicle system is awful, the map design is not great, and the hero modes are dumb fun for a couple rounds, but are mostly terrible.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Hot take:

Battlefront 2015 was already better than OG Battlefront 2
Yea. It's just like some nostalgia bull-shit to peddle to think OG BF2 is the pinnacle of Star Wars gaming.

I guarantee people that state this aren't playing it every day. It was fantastic when I was younger, but it's not even close.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
I played them both back to back last week - not even close. And I think the new BF2 has turned things around quite a bit.

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
Does anyone know if the Xbox One version still has populated servers?

I play GA, HvV, and Supremacy almost exclusively, and practically never have problems finding games.

My take on topic - In terms of content, no. OG BF2 still cleans house, but in terms of actual gameplay and how it feels to, you know, actually shoot, move, and otherwise engage in combat, EA BF2 is far superior.

I wish it weren't hampered with the ridiculous card system that makes it difficult for newbies to stand out. The good news is that a bit of grinding will level things out pretty well. But it isn't fair from the start, and that IS a problem.

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
I bought nuBattlefront 2 day one and liked it. The updates have been great. It still doesn't hold a candle to the original.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The new battlefronts just don't fulfill that desire for instant action doing what as a Star Wars fan you want to do as the original. It's behind too much of the progression, balance and matchmaking found in multiplayer elements for me to enjoy as much. I just want to play some conquest, instantly jump into the battles I want to, play as what I want, getting in whatever vehicle I want etc. I think I would have been more likely to engage with all that multiplayer stuff provided I had those old single player modes.

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
It's much better. A lot of the hate will come from people upset with the controversy/EA/ or people who have never played the game.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
I think the originals are still a little stronger because of the map design but they both fall in the 6-7.5 game is good but not great score range for me. I played tons and tons of hours of OG battlefront 1/2 but they're not anywhere near classics of the ps2/Xbox/gc era.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OG BF1 was better than OG BF2. OG BF2 is like bottom of the list not including the portable games.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
Even though I grow playing it, I have to say with my rose-tinted glasses off that OG Battlefront 2 is a mediocre shooter in (poorly made) star wars skin.
New Battlefront games are way better.

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer the OG. It had better modes. It might not hold up for some modern sensibilities, but even EA BF2 feels a bit sparse compared to recent games.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
The gameplay in DICE's BF2 feels much tighter and more fun to me than the classic BF2. I like the new one more than the old one personally.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
The only reason that EAs isn't as good, is the lack of conquest mode and any objective mode offline. Basically really it's just the offline content

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Tough to say. 2 has the content but I feel like 1 with the season pass was a better MP game (oh yeah no bullshit MTX or power cards).
1 felt like COD (More Arcadey)
2 felt like Battlefield (More objective based)
Since I'm a solo player in online games, BF1 felt more welcoming and rewarding. In BF2, I feel like if you have a bad team, you already screwed no matter how good you do in a match. On the other hand, I'm a sucker for objective base gameplay and BF2 had lots of it.

I guess I would side a bit on BF2 mainly due to the content. Offline you can at least play the single player and the arcade mode.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
So I've been giving this game a fair shake since the sale. Had a great time with the campaign, expected a bog standard Star Wars themed FPS and that's what I got, some interesting characters and set pieces carried it. Now I'm getting into the online and after enjoying most of the smaller game modes, I'm having a real tough time finding any real enjoyment from the large scale modes. They all just come down to who can survive the longest as a hero, having them flying about the battlefield killing everything in one hit. It's even worse being on the receiving end, seeing a hero character charging at you with zero possibility of survival. These problems with balance are worsened by terrible map design and spawn point placements, often you'll find yourself spawning right next to objectives with no options other than running into the meat grinder and dying. It's like DICE designed all these maps with the intention of recreating the experience of Operation Metro from BF3.

Overall it's a good time waster, but I can't see myself sticking with it when the balance is so poor. I'd love to see an option to play Galactic Assault and Capital Supremacy without the hero characters.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
No, I cannot ever get behind the decision to put the vehicles behind tokens.
I just want to jump in a X-wing and fly the damn thing. The battleship game mode is also lacking, I want to fly my ship inside the enemy ship, not watch a cutscene.

Starfighter mode was great though.

Locust Star

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 21, 2019
I missed the character customization of the first one. It's weird that they actually removed that feature in the sequel.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
OG is better. The new one looks great and is interesting at first but it's not that fun imo.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I got the new one when it was on sale a couple weeks ago and it isn't bad, but it just doesn't hold a candle to the original. I've been playing the original regularly since it released 14 years ago, I'll be amazed if I'm still playing the new one in 14 weeks.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
OG2 is still the better game, and it isn't even close.

card system on EA2 sucks, and there is still no offline conquest vs AI. What in the fuck. That new limited mode is an embarrassment.

So no. Push off with that nostalgia bullshit, OG2 didn't have a shitty vehicle system, and I could play it for years even when the player base dried up.

shem

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not willing to say the gameplay isn't better in the new version, but everything surrounding the new game is worse than OG bf2.

If they had literally copied the overall structure and flow of matches, campaign, and how vehicles worked it would have been incredible.

Add in space to ground battles for something truly amazing