• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hmmm, this now makes me think the 3rd party keystore blackout is truly Ubisoft and in their attempts to control MTX money as much as possible. I do not like this trend at all.

SirFritz

Jan 22, 2018
Steam got greedy and it's going to cost them their foothold in the AAA gaming space. So many of those games are MTX-driven now and there's absolutely no way any of those publishers are going to be willing to give up a slice of their DLC revenue when precedent has shown that Steam's direct competitors will happily allocate the whole enchilada.
The reason valve does it is because otherise you will have free to play games on steam that bypass steam for MTX and valve would end up making $0 from that game.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
That's good! I had to re-buy R6 Siege again just to bypass Steam. I have Uplay auto-start with Windows and it's annoying that I had to do the same for Steam as well even though I don't actually use Stream.

Overture

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
As others said, this is probably because of their limited client. I can't see Epic going forward with this in the future, they already take a small cut, this is obviously not sustainable. The importance of having a big game in their store made them so just go with it.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
That's good! I had to re-buy R6 Siege again just to bypass Steam. I have Uplay auto-start with Windows and it's annoying that I had to do the same for Steam as well even though I don't actually use Stream.
Having Steam in autostart doesnt take many resources, come on now.

On topic: Why not launching it on Steam also? Does Epic forbid that? They could make even more money this way.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm so they cash in 100% on all MTX, even when made through EGS? That's a bit of a strange Business decision on epics site, wonder if this is a special treatment and not standard at all.

Also Ubi is testing out the waters for a Uplay only future and a big, upfront Epic Paycheck helped as well.

Dec 14, 2017
I agree OP, but I think ubi is hedging it's bets on a long term plan with EGS. When Division 3 or whatever next GaaS from them launches, they'll be able to leverage against EGS to keep this same favorable mtx system, EGS will lose in the long run, they will remain a hollow launcher for ubisoft and this is setting the precedent.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Because I play Fortnite. Why would I have Steam auto-start? It has nothing that I play frequently. Uplay for Rainbow Six and Epic for Fortnite.

FancyPants

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Uhm, this is a very obvious thing. Of course it was a money thing, that's EGS' one and only draw for publishers and devs. Their lower cut.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Uhm, this is a very obvious thing. Of course it was a money thing, that's EGS' one and only draw for publishers and devs. Their lower cut.
It's not the lower cut (certainly not in isolation) but the big bag of money they are paying upfront.

They are not offering Ubisoft a lower cut than uPlay (which they do not have to share anything cut of sales with any other parties).

OP
OP
Nooblet

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I agree OP, but I think ubi is hedging it's bets on a long term plan with EGS. When Division 3 or whatever next GaaS from them launches, they'll be able to leverage against EGS to keep this same favorable mtx system, EGS will lose in the long run, they will remain a hollow launcher for ubisoft and this is setting the precedent.
This is what I think. Ubi being a huge publisher with games that sell like hot cakes might lead to Ubi negotiating a special deal where they always get this in return for providing Epic with third party exclusivity for their GaaS titles.

Even if Epic changes their policy in the future the precedent for Ubi games specifically is already set now and they can and most likely will want the same and tell Epic "Just be happy being the only third party store". In turn this also leads to increased uplay sales. So overall a lot more money for their GaaS titles to keep supporting them.

I keep saying GaaS titles because Ubi has said only "select few titles" will have this exclusivity and the remaining seem to launch on steam...like Farcry New Dawn. Basically titles that do not rely as much on mtx and provide support for years. Ubi has also been pretty top notch with their post launch support and doing free/relatively low priced DLCs and I want then to keep doing this.