• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
41e12784fbe401ae7837627c6c12cc99b27cf6c7.jpg

I sincerely feel like Metal Gear Survive got a huge amount of undeserved hate on it's release. I'm not going to sit here and tell you it's the best Metal Gear game (far from it of course)and I'm not even going to tell you it's the best survival game either. However, I do want to say that if you can get past the Metal Gear name being tied to it, it's a genuinely enjoyable survival horror title with some unique elements, enjoyable progression, and a pretty wild story. Now that the game is on Game Pass, most people have the ability to freely access this game for the cost of nothing, making this the perfect time to check out this strange game.

I understand that the early game can give off a very poor impression. Not only are you getting a hackneyed story of "wormhole randomly appears in the Metal Gear world for no reason other than making it so this game can exist", but the early game is filled with a lot of tedious elements (which arguably most survival games are). People really hammered down on the idea of poking zombies through a fence with a stick, which is a fair judgement of the early game because that is what you'll be doing combat wise for awhile until you get more of an armament to use against the hordes. (Though I'd also argue, the "stick poking" actually feels really good when you get consecutive headshots and get to see the bodies piling up).

However, the game has a really nice feeling of progression. You can slowly amass more weaponry, upgrade your character with skills, get more time out in The Dust with better equipment, make a really solid home base that generates enough food and water to not have you worrying about it anymore, and find vehicles that let you venture further and further out into the unknown. Once you get to a point in the game that lets you have different gun and melee types, lay down unique traps, and have some decent traversal options without worry of resources, the game really comes into it's own and is genuinely fun since it's just built right off the Metal Gear 5 engine making it feel great to play.

VigorousDistantAnt-size_restricted.gif

Metal Gear Survive also has a really cool mix of the anime-military style Metal Gear is known for and some cosmic horror sensibilities of something like the film "The Mist". The Lord of Dust is an awesome behemoth of an encounter that is terrifying to run into, or even just hear in the distance every time you venture out into The Dust.

hhn80uu4rah01.gif

MelodicScornfulBlackbird-size_restricted.gif

The creature designer for Silent Hill was on the project, and it shows, you have these fleshy monster versions of Metal Gears, eerie floating drone-like Jellyfish monsters. Outside the "boring" human zombie-like enemies that many people complained about there are a decent number of really creepy creatures that really get your anxiety going when you run into them.

DistantPointedAnnelid-size_restricted.gif

The story is also something wild. If you can get past the disbelief of something as "out there" as alternate universes existing in the Metal Gear universe (which lets be real, it's always been a universe that really stretches the idea of any remotely credible logic), then there is a pretty unique and interesting "what if" story behind the scenes that manages to actually tie itself back into the actual Metal Gear canon in a clever and meaningful way without changing anything immensely about what you already have come to know about Metal Gear. It's one of the strongest side stories the franchise has, and I even enjoyed it more than Peace Walker, which is a canonical mainline story title.

I'm sure many people have made up their minds on this game, it came out at a time where everyone was sour at Konami for ruining everyone's favorite franchises (and still are, rightfully so), Kojima praise was at an all time high, and saturation of survival games was hitting it's peak. But after a decent amount of time to let all of that simmer down, and the game having an easily accessible way of playing it with Game Pass, I implore anyone who is even remotely interested to at least try it out and see how they feel.

Last edited:

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Not going to lie. I remember getting this for really cheap on PC. Maybe it's time to actually install it and give it a shot.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I played and enjoyed it. If anyone had any sort of fun from Fortnite's PvE mode, then Survive is that, but significantly better. More granular building, better combat mechanics, and somehow more straightforward.

The post-game stuff is where it rapidly veered off a cliff for me. Too much grind, not much content, but it's still a few dozen hours of fun until then.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I've wanted to play this game for a while, even purchased it on sale.
I was just worried it might contain spoilers for the Metal Gear series (which have been on my list for ages).
I've read that it doesn't, and yet it does, so I have no idea lol.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I was just worried it might contain spoilers for the Metal Gear series (which have been on my list for ages).
Nah. The intro takes place after Ground Zeroes, but it doesn't really have anything I'd call spoilery for the series. It's very much its own thing, with its own characters.

OP
OP
Zutrax

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
It has major spoilers for Ground Zeroes, and some slight spoilers for The Phantom Pain. But if you're talking Metal Gear 1, 2, 3, and 4, then you'll be okay.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Yeah, it's a rather solid game for what it is. What it asks definitely won't gel with a lot of MGS fans. But if you're a fan of survival titles you'd probably like this.

The biggest issue was it was late to its own trend. Why someone at Konami didn't think "hey, let's add a last minute mode that gets rid of health/hunger" is beyond me.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Nah. The intro takes place after Ground Zeroes, but it doesn't really have anything I'd call spoilery for the series. It's very much its own thing, with its own characters.
It has major spoilers for Ground Zeroes, and some slight spoilers for The Phantom Pain. But if you're talking Metal Gear 1, 2, 3, and 4, then you'll be okay.
This is good to hear. I heard from some people that
it has time travel elements, so I was worried it might spoil some stuff for the future metal gear games.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Metal Gear Survive was to me the perfect example of a survival game that has absolutely no idea how survival mechanics work and is still what I reference when I talk about how horribly misunderstood the Survival genre is, it was incredibly boring for the 2-3 or so hours me and a few friends put into it and felt like an absolute chore. Meters for the sake of having meters so it can call itself a survival game, hence the extremely uninspired title.

Jan 15, 2018
I did really dig the creature designs, but really wish the game they were in wasn't so annoying to play.

I didn't like the gameplay loop at all.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
Got it for really cheap and actually quite enjoyed my time with it. I think too many were too focused on Konami making poor decisions overall and decided it wasn't worth their time. I doubt most of those people who went on the Jim Sterling hate train even tried the game themselves.

OP
OP
Zutrax

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Metal Gear Survive was to me the perfect example of a survival game that has absolutely no idea how survival mechanics work and is still what I reference when I talk about how horribly misunderstood the Survival genre is, it was incredibly boring for the 2-3 or so hours me and a few friends put into it and felt like an absolute chore. Meters for the sake of having meters so it can call itself a survival game, hence the extremely uninspired title.
Odd, I felt like the meters were in service to help you feel that sense of progression. The meters were quite annoying early on, but it was extremely satisfying to be able to satiate them as my game went on. It made upgrades feel significant which in turn is it's own positive. I guess you could see it both ways.

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The problem is it's a game that shouldn't have the Metal gear name in the first place, nothing about it screams "yes this is Metal gear!"

It's like if Kirby had a new game where he was sucked into a dimension where you need to craft to survive each day and all the aesthetics and creatures were something from Hollow Knight

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Survive was a pretty okay title. Personal highlight for me was the writing, since the gameplay at first was awful and only got somewhat good later into the game, but I really enjoyed the story and felt like the pacing and craziness was definitely more in line with the MGS series' overall style than even The Phantom Pain was.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed this much more than I thought it would. But like mgsv it's just grindy towards the end. I did like the twist at the end, better than anything in mgsv.

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was alright but I didn't spend much time with it. The fox engine was the biggest factor to my enjoyment tho as I'm not big on survival stuff.
But if I play it on gamepass Konami gets my money

.. I just can't do that
Xbox pays upfront so Konami has already made their money whether you play it or not.

May 17, 2018
Yes! Game is honestly better than MGS V, IMO.

A full, coherent story, combined with the gameplay of Phantom Pain. I went in super skeptical, but, came out a huge fan, and, I absolutely hate how the press and audiences received it. They went in expecting to hate it and never gave it a real chance.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Played the demo, hated it.

Just a pure grind fest.

I'm glad it bombed so Konami won't do to Metal Gear what it did to Silent Hill.

Also that UI looks like a clusterfuck.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's probably way more fun than Death Stranding. I enjoyed my time with it.

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
i defended the Zelda CD-i games and yet i consider this thread a desperate act and a suicide missiion.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Odd, I felt like the meters were in service to help you feel that sense of progression. The meters were quite annoying early on, but it was extremely satisfying to be able to satiate them as my game went on. It made upgrades feel significant which in turn is it's own positive. I guess you could see it both ways.
Meters only feel good when they're encouraged by the main gameplay loop and aren't blinking at you to satiate them, it should happen organically. They didn't feel organic and just felt like a resource to manage for the sake of needing something to keep you from the action. Good survival systems are decently easy to stay on top of, but become difficult once you run into a situation that causes you to mismanage them (whether it be your mistake or a random event, butterfly/ domino effect, etc) and struggle to get back in good shape, which is what causes the fun emergent events where you're taking risks because you need to satiate yourself before you get even worse. Maybe it does get better later but the early game was so agonizing and grindy that me and my friends who I tried it out with never wanted to touch it again.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are some decent ideas in it, but as a whole the game itself is an absolutely tedious grind with some really garbage MTs.

OP
OP
Zutrax

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
There are some decent ideas in it, but as a whole the game itself is an absolutely tedious grind with some really garbage MTs.
While I don't doubt for a second that they are garbage, I was able to play the game normally, all the way through, with zero issues and not purchase any MT's. But I think I did hear some shit about multiple save files and post game content.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
So I just watched someone finish that game on stream.

If the first 5 hours of that game weren't such a piss poor slog and the missions were way tighter, man that game could have been something, because it GOES PLACES.

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
This is pretty much where I fall on the game.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was alright but I didn't spend much time with it. The fox engine was the biggest factor to my enjoyment tho as I'm not big on survival stuff.
Xbox pays upfront so Konami has already made their money whether you play it or not.

I believe not that long ago we had a dev say that they are paid per install, but also monthly percentages based on play time

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While I don't doubt for a second that they are garbage, I was able to play the game normally, all the way through, with zero issues and not purchase any MT's. But I think I did hear some shit about multiple save files and post game content.

The one that annoyed me the most was the resource gathering teams you could send out. First team is free, any others required the premium currency to unlock (Unless they changed that at some point after I stopped playing).

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
So I just watched someone finish that game on stream.

If the first 5 hours of that game weren't such a piss poor slog and the missions were way tighter, man that game could have been something, because it GOES PLACES.
Not gonna lie, this sounds like some of the impressions of Death Stranding.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I also want to add on that the gameplay itself was genuinely fun when the game wasn't constantly keeping me from actually engaging with it. Maybe I'll pick it up on PC in a steam sale and see if it does get better if I speed through the early progression. I'd love to be proven wrong and find a way to enjoy it.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
I actually pick this game up after watching a friend of mine stream it following the negativity with Death Straining and going to the Metal Gear game with survival stuff. And he ended up loving it and had a blast playing it. I ended up buying this for 5 dollars for the PS4 at Gamestop so it not Konami really got any money.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I remember playing the whole game waiting for it to get good like people were saying and for its crazy story twists and it never really did and the twists were not that crazy and predictable. The game never surpassed the promise of seeing The Lord of Dust for the first time. If it had more of that I could agree with you better.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
You can have a much better time with other games of the survive genre or action genre. This is on the bottom of games i'd recommend.

Xalbur

Mar 30, 2019
I have to admit that Survive was probably the last thing a lot of people wanted from the series and because of that it got a lot of negative impressions from people that might not really like any game in it's genre.
The game is never going to be judged on it's own merits, and that's a bummer because it's probably one of the more polished and less frustrating zombie survival games lol.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'd give it a whirl if it ever game to PC Game Pass, but I'm hesitant to actually buy it if it doesn't get good until well past the refund period.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
planned on picking it up but forgot about it. always thought it looked like a fun time waster

if i wasn't so bogged down with games i'd check it out but i guess i'll have to let it slip through the cracks. maybe next time (if there's a sequel)

Khoryos

Nov 5, 2019
I really enjoyed most of the gameplay, but I hate wave defense missions and there were so many on the critical path that I just couldn't deal.
Is it on gamepass for the PC? If so, I might give it another shot.