• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AfterZero

Oct 27, 2017
I was 100% sure this game would be horrendous, but after I tried it out, I couldn't put it down.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
The problem is it's a game that shouldn't have the Metal gear name in the first place, nothing about it screams "yes this is Metal gear!"

It's like if Kirby had a new game where he was sucked into a dimension where you need to craft to survive each day and all the aesthetics and creatures were something from Hollow Knight
Tbh, it ties in really closely with the MGSV titles and the main plot points of this game are enjoyable and serve the universe well, imo. The game certainly plays a little differently from most MG titles (though the second act of this game really demands effective use of stealth) but it is very Metal Gear-y in ways other than that.

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh, it ties in really closely with the MGSV titles and the main plot points of this game are enjoyable and serve the universe well, imo. The game certainly plays a little differently from most MG titles (though the second act of this game really demands effective use of stealth) but it is very Metal Gear-y in ways other than that.

I pretty much agree. I loved Survive, the story is easily as absurd and Metal Gear feeling as any previous entry in the series. Its a different kind of stealth and core gameplay loop than the other metal gear game's but it's still there in spirit.

I legitimately reinstalled this yesterday.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
IMO even if it's free, you can still find much better things to do with that time. A free MG Survive against a good $60 game is a no-brainer

Also, this is coming from someone who would put Don't Starve, No Man's Sky, and The Forest in the top 10-20 games this gen

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed it enough to finish the story, but not enough to stick around afterwards. The survival aspects got to be too much for me from what I remember, especially in the post-game. And I was really disappointed that co-op is so limited until you've played the game solo for quite a while, because the co-op missions were what I was really interested in. But again, by the time I finished the story and was able to do a lot of stuff in co-op, I'd more or less already had my fill of the game.

That said, I do think it's worth playing, especially for a cheap price. It is fun, but you really have to be okay with the survival genre.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I picked it up at the last Steam sale and finished the campaign yesterday. It was fine. It filled a hole. Managed to avoid most of the pitfalls of online survival games. No grinding. There is actually no reason why it needs to be always online.

If you ever wanted a game set in Stranger Thing's Upside Down then this is pretty much it. Demogorgons and Mindflayers to boot.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Bounced off this game really hard. I love Kojima though I see no reason a good Metal Gear game couldn't be made without him but this ain't it y'all.

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm intrigued and might give it a go when it's on sale, but the bad press was beyond it being a Kojima-less Metal Gear game.

Are they still charging for extra save files?

Damien1928

Oct 27, 2017
Metal gear is my favourite game, I never plan on playing survive

Also, congrats to the few guys in here claiming it's better than death stranding (before its even released)

Disappointing

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to chime in and say that I finished the main campaign today. I absolutely loved this game. And I don't feel like I want to be done with it yet so I'll probably stick around and do some of the post-game stuff. It is a bit lame that most of the higher level gear can only be obtained in co-op, which is essentially dead, but I'll see how much of it I can do solo and hopefully get some decent gear. Aside from that I think my only real complaint is that they could have done so much more with the single player campaign. By the time you finish the game, you'll have uncovered less than half of both maps. I know it was only a $40 game at launch, so a ~30 hour campaign is actually pretty good, but it feels like it could have been a lot more than it is. Still loved it despite that, though.

But yeah, this game's great IMO, and I wish I'd have picked it up much sooner.