• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When/how should Sony release The Last of Us Part II?

• Keep sitting on the game until a simultanious digital and physical release is possible

Votes: 721 47.0%
  • Digital-only release on May 29th

Votes: 587 38.3%
  • Keep sitting on the game for a while, but do a digital-only release if the pandemic takes too long

Votes: 226 14.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
UPDATE: The Last of Us Part II is releasing June 19th! https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-last-of-us-part-ii-launches-on-june-19-2020.192939

Thought this be an interesting discussion worth having. Now that there's new The Last of Us Part II leaks, apparently including huge story spoilers, what does Sony do with the game's release? Will they really sit on a finished game, possibly for multiple months, as leaks continue coming out? Or will they reconsider a May 29th digital-only release, if not even earlier if that's even a possibility?

Also a personal request to anyone commenting, please don't share any spoilers here and keep that in this thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/th...ot-detail-leaked.178988/page-12#post-32324220

Last edited:

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Sony should pull a Fez 2 because of the leaker.

It would become the ultimate legend.

SpookyTango

Mar 1, 2020
The leaks will have zero bearing on when they release the game. The delay is a business decision, the leaks will have a negligible impact on that.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Most likely a playtester is leaking it. They're probably letting them test it at home.

They'll go according to their original plans. The leak won't affect the sales of the game or anything.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they'll cancel it and leave the original as a standalone, as it always should have.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
When they think they can produce, ship and even sell like 5 million copies within a week or two. Which won't be anytime soon.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
I think if they could ship the game May 29th with enough physical copies (unlike FF7R) with lockdown being stopped in several major European countries in May, they will re-announce the game for May 29th

They are already probably still assessing the situation in major markets like US though before locking a date

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope they find the leaker. Shouldn't be too difficult to know who has a copy at this stage. I'm pretty angry this has happened to be honest; now we have to dodge spoilers for lord knows how long.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh jesus, I was in that thread when the small videos were leaking but I'm staying well away from plot spoilers. Depending on how major they are this is uncomfortable for players like myself, but I don't foresee it being 'unbearable' for Sony to the point where they alter course from a simultaneous release. However, admittedly, I don't know the severity of what has leaked.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Oh jesus, I was in that thread when the small videos were leaking but I'm staying well away from plot spoilers. Depending on how major they are this is uncomfortable for players like myself, but I don't foresee it being 'unbearable' for Sony to the point where they alter course from a simultaneous release. However, admittedly, I don't know the severity of what has leaked.

Extremely severe. Major plot points.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Thank God we can ignore threads now so I don't accidentally click into one of these spoiler threads.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I can't see them doing a reactionary decision based on these leaks. The majority of people that buy the game will never see these leaks.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why would Sony care about the spoilers. It sucks but at the end of the day only the sales matters. So y'all gonna have to wait until a simultaneous release.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Since it leaked they should cancel the whole thing just to spite everyone.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
This will have no affect on when Sony is releasing it... that would be my guess.

May 30, 2018
TLOU sold over 20m copies on PS3/4, it makes sense Sony would do whatever they can to maximize sales. It's their biggest IP, they want to have as smooth a launch as possible

These leaks won't change schedule imo

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Yeah nothing will change. I imagine these decisions are made by higher-up money people, not Neil Druckmann.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
They shouldn't have delayed it in the first place. Of course it will leak.

Gaming is so behind other industries sometimes.

Matush

Oct 25, 2017
Slovakia
Damn, major plot points getting leaked probably months before actual release? Damn, that's bad, it's going to be landmine in comments for weeks and months to come.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
They should wait until we have an idea of when physical stores will be able to reopen, and decide based on that.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
These leaks are only the beginning. It wont be much longer until a bug big chunk of the game is leaked way before the initial release date.

Hell even just recently something really big just got leaked. I hope they find a release date soon. This game lives on this story and characters. It would suck if it would leak to a lot of people who care about this IP.

Status
Not open for further replies.