• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kelanflyter

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
France
For a 71-month run, it was definitely helped by the year head-start on the PS3 and Wii and then cutting prices and revisions. Cynically, the RROD before the mass warranty replacements could also be a factor. I'd still like to know the numbers, if possible, of 360s bought after a RROD, warranty or not. I was a victim of the "just after that third year" failure, and I took good care of mine. I personally knew a lot of people who bought a second (or even third or fourth!) system because of the RROD.
I m not in the us, but i bought 3 xbox360

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
For how much shit the Xbox One sales get, it outsells every Nintendo console with only one exception. That's pretty crazy.

Is it though? US is it by far Xboxs strongest market and can compete with anyone it's even quite close with the PS4 which has sold more than double Worldwide and the Nintendo consoles in this comparison did pretty bad all things considered. In the timeframe 95-> about it competes with: N64 -> GC -> Wii -> Wii U and it handily beat all three it should beat.

Worldwide the Xbox One wont beat the NES, Switch, Wii and perhaps the SNES.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
The thing is, PS3 did pretty well in that period considering its disastrous launch and lacking line up for a couple years. A different brand (Nintendo, Sega, Xbox) would have suffered much more, just look at things like Saturn, Wii U, Cube, Xbox One... They all suffered much more without half the mess the first couple years of PS3 were

I wouldn't call a loss of several billion dollars "pretty well". I agree with the rest you said though.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
I remember the life of the Wii in it's last year. Contrasting from 2010, which was and still is one of my favorite years for any system, Wii had a sharp drop off. 2011 and 2012, for that matter, were *desolate*. Even from a first-party perspective, support completely dried up outside of the Project Rainfall games.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony dominates Europe.

Xbox One is far behind the Xbox 360 in sales.
Yes, that is part of my point. I was highlighting the drop off from the previous Gen consoles {360, PS3, Wii} to the Current Gen (71 month old consoles) {PS4, Xbox One} and essentially wondering where the console purchasing consumers ran off to.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, that is part of my point. I was highlighting the drop off from the previous Gen consoles {360, PS3, Wii} to the Current Gen (71 month old consoles) {PS4, Xbox One} and essentially wondering where the console purchasing consumers ran off to.
The Xbox 360 buyers went partially to the PlayStation 4, as that one has surpassed its predecessor already. Wii audience is not measured as the Switch isn't 71 months old.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017

1) People ignore this part of the equation or
2) Agree that the Wii reached a demographic of consumers that current consoles cannot access.

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm... Either console sales are becoming somewhat less important, or Sony (and Microsoft especially) needs a way to sell more consoles.
More exclusives; price drops?
1) People ignore this part of the equation or
2) Agree that the Wii reached a demographic of consumers that current consoles cannot access.

I agree. Switch is in the mix, but not sure how much it overlaps with the Wii demographic.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is US only. It was never gonna be downright horrible like in the rest of the world.
US only? It's the largest and most important market strategically. X1 is doing ok in UK too, not horrible, which i believe is the largest console market in EU.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Xbox 360 buyers went partially to the PlayStation 4, as that one has surpassed its predecessor already. Wii audience is not measured as the Switch isn't 71 months old.

Yeah ... thats not really how it works.

From the looks of it there's a multiple of the tens of millions of lost consumers this generation. Some of that is just the expanded Wii demographic that wasn't retained by any of the current entries. But even when ignoring that loss the placements between the 360 & PS4 and the PS3 & Xbox One shows lost consumers as well.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
360 was a beast, it even managed to get a foot in the japanese market. Sadly it lost more gas the longer the generation went on and xboxone completely dropped the ball.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017

From the looks of it there's a multiple of the tens of millions of lost consumers this generation. Some of that is just the expanded Wii demographic that wasn't retained by any of the current entries. But even when ignoring that loss the placements of between the 360 & PS4 and the PS3 & Xbox One shows lost consumers as well.
Without exact numbers for the US it is a bit more difficult, but globally PlayStation 4 and Xbox One is at 150 million while the previous is at 170 million. That means only 20 million more PS4s and Xbox Ones before the end of the generation.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Without exact numbers for the US it is a bit more difficult, but globally PlayStation 4 and Xbox One is at 150 million while the previous is at 170 million. That means only 20 million more PS4s and Xbox Ones before the end of the generation.

Now there is also the 100+ million Wii users. The bulk of those have not been recaptured.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Are you trying to imply that people left the US and are now part of the OUS sales?

There's obviously gaps from the Wii sales (probably due to poor retention), but there's also gaps when just using previous PS & XB brands to the current PS & XB brands.

So where the hell did they go?

xch1n

Oct 27, 2017
Public info. These numbers have been out for years.

Ok but...the source here works at THE tracking company for US sales, so if he's wrong, I'd love to see a source for the numbers you quoted. I searched the internet and couldn't find them. The best I found was "Americas" for broken down by time period, but that's also not "The US." Not just being lazy here, I tried before I quoted you.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Now there is also the 100+ million Wii users. The bulk of those have not been recaptured.
It is the Wii indeed that expanded the public and that expansion went away. If you look at the PlayStation 2 generation, you have a total of about 200 million consoles. That should be surpassed this generation. Honestly, the real loss is in the handheld space where you go from 220 million handhelds to about 80 million.

Are you trying to imply that people left the US andare now part of the OUS sales?
No, I'm saying that globally the reach of these two consoles will remain unchanged, and that there are no US numbers to do the real comparison.

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

From the looks of it there's a multiple of the tens of millions of lost consumers this generation. Some of that is just the expanded Wii demographic that wasn't retained by any of the current entries. But even when ignoring that loss the placements between the 360 & PS4 and the PS3 & Xbox One shows lost consumers as well.

Exactly. The Don Mattrick (TV) episode made 'core' gamers move over to PS4 within weeks (dat mindshare), but other people seem to have left console gaming at least.
Probably nearly impossible to tell if the unique player count in the PC market has increased. Otherwise, they could have moved to mobile.

But assuming that they didn't move to the PC or mobile markets, there's untapped potential there again...

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Ok but...the source here works at THE tracking company for US sales, so if he's wrong, I'd love to see a source for the numbers you quoted. I searched the internet and couldn't find them. The best I found was "Americas" for broken down by time period, but that's also not "The US." Not just being lazy here, I tried before I quoted you.
GAF has all the threads for NPD sales for that period of time.

This looks more like a simple LTD chart, or it is a mistake.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Not sure if mentioned but it looks like the original tweet is phrased extremely poorly.

Whilst the original tweet implies it's comparing all consoles in their first 71 months. It's actually comparing 71 months of PS4/XB1 sales to total lifetime sales for all the other consoles.

Wii was significantly higher than 360 after 71 months, but 360 surpassed Wii at the end.
The PS4 surpassed PS1's total after 71 months already, but is still behind PS1's lifetime sales total.

Maybe this post can be added to the OP to clear everything up.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if mentioned but it looks like the original tweet is phrased extremely poorly.

Whilst the original tweet implies it's comparing all consoles in their first 71 months. It's actually comparing 71 months of PS4/XB1 sales to total lifetime sales for all the other consoles.

Wii was significantly higher than 360 after 71 months, but 360 surpassed Wii at the end.
The PS4 surpassed PS1's total after 71 months already, but is still behind PS1's lifetime sales total.

ahh, well that changes all sorts of things. So it's just a NPD LTD comparison (with the current Gen products LTD being 71 Months of sales)

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I read somewhere on this site they are only behind PlayStation (in the US) by 4 million.

it was the Shawn Layden thread, someone was mad PS only had a 4 million lead here.

I read in the Sony Q reports that XBOX's sales for this year was 1.2 million.

In fact let me quote it for context.

Man if they had 40 million end of 2018 and there sales are low this year so it is impossible this numbers.

Xbox one install base around 41-42 million it is impossible to be more than that .

Just look to their sales this year in US. 1.2 million so far...

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018

Clears up a lot of confusion. Thanks Z.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, it from Jan 1995 to Sept 2019. That information should be in the IP. Mat is being disingenuous with the title of that tweet.

It's a completely bizarre tweet from almost every perspective.

It's flat out wrong if you're actually trying to compare 71-month figures, because we know from previously public NPD information the Wii was significantly ahead of the 360 when you compare them each at 71 months.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
360 sold like hotcakes in the US.
As an older, not so cocky and overzealous Sony fanboy I saw it as #2 forgetting that I bought one myself before I purchased a PS3. So, yeah...

The $600 PS3 pricetag shockwave really opened up some doors for MS in that gen

Also, it from Jan 1995 to Sept 2019. That information should be in the IP. Mat is being disingenuous with the title of that tweet.
Wait, WHAT

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States

Thanks! I was confused reading these posts and going back to vgsaleswiki and seeing differently than what most people are posting and what Mat published.

There's like 4 different dissections of the data going on here

Oct 28, 2019
When you look at these numbers you start to understand why Microsoft made some of the (dumb) decisions at the start of this Gen. They dominated most of last Gen being popular mostly in just western countries. 360 proves where the west goes most other markets will follow.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
PS3 deserved better in the US.
Does it? I'm not even fanboying when I say the PS3 was a terrible system from Sony in nearly every regard.

terrible OS with constant updates that took forever.
Game installs and patches took forever.
Worse 3rd party games
Worse online platform for most of that gen
It was only redeemed by some of Sony's 1st party efforts.

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
PS3 deserved better in the US.
It really didn't. Ports were pretty terrible.

Does it? I'm not even fanboying when I say the PS3 was a terrible system from Sony in nearly every regard.

terrible OS with constant updates that took forever.
Game installs and patches took forever.
Worse 3rd party games
Worse online platform for most of that gen
It was only redeemed by some of Sony's 1st party efforts.

Yea, this.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017

Now I'm interested in the actually rankings if they did use the 71st month totals for a list

RezVr2

Oct 27, 2017
4 PlayStations in the Top 7 is nutty.

Nobody is shaking Sony from dominance again in the console market next-gen.

That console market lockdown and hold is stronger than ever.
When you look at a small fraction of the overall picture sure. But when look at the entirety of everything, not really.

Jun 23, 2019

We've been bamboozled!