• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Okay.

So 71 months in is this gens performance better than that of the PS & XB consoles of Last Gen or not? Is there any existing NPD data on the Wii/PS3/360 and/or PS2 so we could define some brackets on comparative performance?

Is there a significant gap between 71 months of PS3& Xbox 360 sales compared to PS4 & Xbox One sales?

Last edited:

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
well, you can buy an xbox in germany for around 150€ while the ps4 is still sitting for around 200-299€ depending on the packages.

the xbox games are mostly cheaper too but it is the same as with the 360: people are playstation fans, almost no one buys an xbox. i have 5 people who have an xbone(3 of them have upgraded to the X) and on the opposite i know at least 20 people with a ps4.

iam a huge xbox fan, but microsoft shitted so hard on the fans in the first few years, and still does not do much. i miss j-rpgs or massive hits. i am still disappointed by cancellation of scalebound...

would love to see NES/SNES/handhelds...

i thought NES/SNES would had fared better, but it seems it didnt or NPD does not have that kind of data.
150€ to 200€ is pocket change, the Xbox One launched at R$2.200 here in Brazil, and the PS4 launched at R$4.000, back in 2013 that was nearly a 1.000 DOLLARS difference, the PS4 used to be 1.000 dollars more expensive than an Xbox One, more than two times its full price in the US. At that price you would be either not buying a new console or going for a Xbox One, in a market where the Xbox 360 already dominated.

Since then the prices have gone down significantly, and they're around the same price nowadays, with the Xbox being very slightly cheaper.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, that is part of my point. I was highlighting the drop off from the previous Gen consoles {360, PS3, Wii} to the Current Gen (71 month old consoles) {PS4, Xbox One} and essentially wondering where the console purchasing consumers ran off to.

I know more than a few people who were gaming last gen, with multiple systems even, but haven't bought a current gen system yet, except a 3/2DS for some. Some still using their old Wiis. And some of them have dropped off from gaming completely.

Neat

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
The NPD Group's report for U.S. game sales in October included an interesting nugget about the PlayStation 4's success. The system has had the third-best first six years for any U.S. console, trailing only the PlayStation 2 and Wii.

The PS4 launched on November 15, 2013. It became a fast hit, and strong first-party exclusives like Uncharted 4: A Thief's End and God of War have kept the machine popular. Around the world, Sony has sold over 102.8 million PlayStation 4 consoles so far.

For its first six years in the U.S., the PS4 is only behind the PS2 and Wii. The PS2 is the best-selling system of all time, moving over 155 million machines. The PS4 has sold more consoles around the world than the Wii already did in its lifetime (Nintendo sold about 101.63 million Wiis).

More at the link: https://venturebeat.com/2019/11/14/...better-than-every-console-except-ps2-and-wii/

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
it wont beat the 360 when all is said and done though. 360 had absurd sales late in life.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I think we can permanently add "except PS2" to every single sales record thread title henceforth.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
impressive considering the late assist for 360 with Kinect. everybody and their dog had a 360 by 2010 or so

Last edited:

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe sales, definitely not quality though.
j1BUiw1.gif

xem

Oct 31, 2017
congrats to sony, well done. onward to PS5. I do not think PS5 will be able to replicate this in the same time frame because i believe it will start at 499.

NerevaRising

Oct 5, 2018
Even more impressive when you take the price into account, the ps2 and Wii were heavily discounted by this point

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
If it weren't for that no DRM ethering at E3 in what was it 2013 this never would have happened. That was the rocket fuel.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
PS2 is one of those once in a lifetime success stories we probably won't see again in the console space.

Yea ... I do feel like PS4,5..etc will eventually outsell it because the Market is so much bigger.

But nobody is going to allow a company to have such a high Market Share like PS2 did back in the day. It requires a specific scenario where everyone else fucks up and you do the right things at the right time as well.