• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats to Sony - will be interesting to see how it will perform lost PS5 and what Sony's long-term plans are.
Even more impressive when you take the price into account, the ps2 and Wii were heavily discounted by this point
Wii really wasnt that much cheaper than it's initial price at the end of lifecycle. You'll get a PS4 with 3 games for 200 bucks this Black Friday.

The PS4 also had the Pro system midlife that helped extend the sales performance. Who knows what Wii might have done if Pachter turned out to be right with the WiiHD lol.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Yea ... I do feel like PS4,5..etc will eventually outsell it because the Market is so much bigger.

But nobody is going to allow a company to have such a high Market Share like PS2 did back in the day. It requires a specific scenario where everyone else fucks up and you do the right things at the right time as well.

The other companies didn't really fuck up though. Sony was just right place, right time with all of the support behind them. The Gamecube and Xbox were both very tidy machines compared to the PS2, and cheaper to boot. There's really nothing they could do to combat Sony that gen.

Anyway, great sales here but damn it really doesn't feel like 6 years already...

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
F2037B8705BD0651E8557823AAED820B4923BAE5
The Gate of Babylon one is funnier though.

It's funny because it doesn't match supposedly Unlimited Bait Works, lol.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Impressive performance after mediocre sales for PS3 in the US. i think Switch platform will pass it in the US though, especially after the release of Lite.

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
How can they say that when the Wii wasn't even sold for 6 years. The Wii launched in 2006 and 6 years later would have been 2012 and it was pretty dead by then.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats to Sony - will be interesting to see how it will perform lost PS5 and what Sony's long-term plans are.

Wii really wasnt that much cheaper than it's initial price at the end of lifecycle. You'll get a PS4 with 3 games for 200 bucks this Black Friday.

The PS4 also had the Pro system midlife that helped extend the sales performance. Who knows what Wii might have done if Pachter turned out to be right with the WiiHD lol.

?. Official price for original Wii got as low as $149 in mid 2011 with Mario kart bundled (so in under 5 years). Then later on we also had Wii mini with price tag of $99 (and again Mario kart bundled).

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved, and imo this success was crucial given the whispers we heard during the start of the gen.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
?. Official price for original Wii got as low as $149 in mid 2011 with Mario kart bundled (so in under 5 years). Then later on we also had Wii mini with price tag of $99 (and again Mario kart bundled).
100 USD price drop over a whole generation isn't what I would call "heavily discounted".

Considering where it started the system held it's price and value quite well over the years. The price was never really a issue with the system either so I doubt it made a big difference.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I knew it sounded familiar. This tweet is clearer tho, and more specific.

Do those sales include the Pro? Either way, that's damn good. Sony was firing on all cylinders this gen.
Did the Slim models count last gen? Does the Slim models count this gen?

Just because the revisions included updated internal specs shouldn't change anything.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I knew it sounded familiar. This tweet is clearer tho, and more specific.

Did the Slim models count last gen? Does the Slim models count this gen?

Just because the revisions included updated internal specs shouldn't change anything.

Revised hardware always counts. The ps2 hardware includes the og and slim models, the ds hardware sales includes the og ds till the last dsi xl, etc...

Nov 18, 2017
Maybe sales, definitely not quality though.
y'all booing this man but im inclined to agree with him. Different strokes for different folks, i bought my PS4 2014 and i didnt actually get a game that i thoroughly enjoyed as an exclusive until 2016 with Ratchet & Clank.

Uncharted, Horizon, Days Gone, The Order all felt very generic to me, im sure Bloodbornes great but im not much of a souls fan.

For me i still think the best PS4 exclusive this gen has been Yakuza 0, but hell even thats on PC now.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
y'all booing this man but im inclined to agree with him. Different strokes for different folks, i bought my PS4 2014 and i didnt actually get a game that i thoroughly enjoyed as an exclusive until 2016 with Ratchet & Clank.

Uncharted, Horizon, Days Gone, The Order all felt very generic to me, im sure Bloodbornes great but im not much of a souls fan.

For me i still think the best PS4 exclusive this gen has been Yakuza 0, but hell even thats on PC now.

I kind of like Uncharted but yeah the exclusives are pretty boring for me otherwise.