• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
Did we ever figure out what the change in narrative was? Kinda seems the same except people are praising GOW even more than before report came out.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Instead of dollar numbers I wish NPD would base everything off of value. The farther we go into time the more inflation we'll get. Is the DS4 in 90s dollars be higher than any other controller of the time?

Oct 27, 2017
Note that it's at the item level and the measure quoted. So the Black DS4 is the best-selling gamepad of all time in terms of dollar sales. Other gamepads could have very well sold more lifetime than the black DS4 but were discontinued in favor of revised models or whatever. And other gamepad skus have sold more units lifetime. But I thought the gamepad item rankings a fun new record to mention in the release.

That' some useful clarification here, thanks Mat.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I'm sure this has been asked before, but did we get numbers for the Xbox?

I saw that the PS4 and Switch's leaked, but didn't see any Xbox numbers. This is assuming the former two's numbers are correct, of course.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Longevity, really.

Note that it's at the item level and the measure quoted. So the Black DS4 is the best-selling gamepad of all time in terms of dollar sales. Other gamepads could have very well sold more lifetime than the black DS4 but were discontinued in favor of revised models or whatever. And other gamepad skus have sold more units lifetime. But I thought the gamepad item rankings a fun new record to mention in the release.

DS4 has been on the market 5 years though (I assume that's not too long?).

Would be interesting to see how long those other controllers were available for sale.

Harris Katz

Apr 9, 2018
Those are multi games, they won't move units as God of War did.

We know Smash is coming this year ; and all the indcations seems to point out to a release of Pokemon this year as well.

Of course it will push hardware sales... it won't be confined to one platform, but people WILL buy a console for RDR2. The fact that PS4 has the marketing exclusive means it will likely sell more on that console, but it will move plenty of console sales on the XB platform,

remanutd

Oct 29, 2017
New York
Until The Last of Us Part II comes out.
o7DgMpC.gif
Whats his name?

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
TLOU2
Pokemon
RDR
Spider-Man
Call of Duty
Battlefield
Smash Brothers

Man, this year just getting started and already nutty in quality. I'm ready...

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
So adjusting all sales for inflation, and using that? Sounds good.
Sort of a tangent, but:

One thing I've always been curious about is the lifetime dollar sales for past platforms, both HW and SW, both contemporary dollars and adjusted dollars. Just feels like that's a really cool benchmark for how things turned out in the end that we never really get to see.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty incredible how GoW PS4 has turned out for SSM/Sony. Huge critical and commercial success. Not my cup of tea (at least based on trying GoW 1/2 back on what.. the PS2 ?), but it's nice to see good work rewarded.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty incredible how GoW PS4 has turned out for SSM/Sony. Huge critical and commercial success. Not my cup of tea (at least based on trying GoW 1/2 back on what.. the PS2 ?), but it's nice to see good work rewarded.
Not comparable to the previous games at all. New camera, combat completely reinvented and actually godlike now, narrative totally different, level design totally different and more open like the Soulsborne games, etc.

Is it still pretty gory? I'm a bit squeamish so that stuff puts me off.
It's still gory but nowhere near as gory as it used to be, sadly. That actually annoys me though since the gore has always been part of the experience and brought great reactions from friends when we were playing together, but if bloody games are not for you, then this game won't be either. It does have blood, and one or two monster executions are on the same level as the previous games.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Not comparable to the previous games at all. New camera, combat completely reinvented and actually godlike now, narrative totally different, level design totally different and more open like the Soulsborne games, etc.

It's still gory but nowhere near as gory as it used to be, sadly. That actually annoys me though since the gore has always been part of the experience and brought great reactions from friends when we were playing together, but if bloody games are not for you, then this game won't be either. It does have blood, and one or two monster executions are on the same level as the previous games.
Thanks for the info. I think I'll check it out more. I don't mind some random gore, but the head-tearing-off execution of I dunno which game was a bit much for me. Otherwise everything about it sounds pretty amazing.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
K
Thanks for the info. I think I'll check it out more. I don't mind some random gore, but the head-tearing-off execution of I dunno which game was a bit much for me. Otherwise everything about it sounds pretty amazing.
nah no longer ripping heads off anymore. But the camera is close so it can feel just as visceral at times. I don't think it would make anyone squeamish.

Dark_EMT

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Sony and Nintendo keep topping the charts. I wish Microsoft would put more effort in trying to compete with Sony. But I guess their sales are not bad either.