• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Xone goes full Win 10 with it and starts going with a Surface type strategy and there is no next gen for Xbox in the traditional sense. Just gets called Xbox and specs get refreshed every year or so but all the games work going forward. But who knows.

Stanng243

Oct 25, 2017
are people not going too far ahead?

GOW3 opened with over 1.1 million but its second month was not even 200k if i remember.
So 1.8-1.9 million first month is mighty impressive but i will not bet on its legs.
It will be impressive if second month is above 500k.

To hit 10+ million i think you need legs like Crash or TLOU. and although GOW is a fresh start but it is still a new entry in the series and existing series launch do not behave like a new IP in legs department. I think MatPiscatella or Benji can shed more light on the legs of a new entry in an existing series vs new IP.
It was over 5 million in a month globally. I think it will do okay.

iclash

Oct 27, 2017
lesser Salt Lake area
I was referring to this:
Y'all. C'mon now.

Switch is still on pace to be the second best-selling console OF ALL TIME (it's fallen behind Wii recently because the launch month timing has given Wii two holidays over the same number of months Switch has had one).

For some reason this made me think the Wii was the best selling console of all time and I was seeking clarification

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
Thank you for such a detailed response. Interesting to look at things from the bigger picture. So is Xbone in line to surpass 360 sales then? It looks like it won't quite make it to half 360 lifetime sales.

Lol yeah that was the PR push from Microsoft for a couple of solid years. "We're tracking above 360!", which was somewhat misleading because 360 was a bit of a slow burn on its was to an eventual ~80m. It will be a bit more than half in the end, but actually somewhat similar numbers in the US, while falling more dramatically overseas.

A great historic article from our very own Zhuge explains it with more context than the PR ever did :

http://gearnuke.com/september-2015-npd-sales-analysis-nba2k16-best-launch-sports-game-8th-gen/

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was referring to this:

For some reason this made me think the Wii was the best selling console of all time and I was seeking clarification
I was referring to this:

I got the same impression too. Thought 360 ended ahead of Wii in US eventully but maybe Wii won out in the end.

Golvellius

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
This is more of what I meant comparing it to WiiU. Not so much sales numbers, but rather shortening this gen to launch a new better hardware to start next gen regardless of when they launched X. I could see it.

And if that happens, the EoL sales will be much lower than predicted for Xbone.

Next Xbox won't be another gen, so sales of the next Xbox should be added to XB1 sales. Could see them pass 100M eventually.

Noobie

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It was over 5 million in a month globally. I think it will do okay.
Have we got a new press release from Sony?
Keep in mind I'm referring to the type of game it is. Its legging as well as it could for a single player only narrative driven game.

Not like a CoD, GTAV, etc.
Thanks
As a non service game I expect God of War sales to be more frontloaded than historical comps, fwiw.
Thanks

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I think Xone goes full Win 10 with it and starts going with a Surface type strategy and there is no next gen for Xbox in the traditional sense. Just gets called Xbox and specs get refreshed every year or so but all the games work going forward. But who knows.
Would probably make me buy an Xbox, right now though, the libraries are just too similar. It's super hard to care about Xbox library when you have a PS4\Switch

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
OK now we're console warring about consoles that haven't even been announced.

Woof.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
It was going to fall behind Wii this year regardless of the launch dates. Just in 2008 April Wii sold more than 700k units.
I wouldn't be so sure. By March 2008 (two holiday seasons) the Wii had sold 24.5 million units. The Switch is already at nearly 20, so it'll easily pass that number by the end of this year. If Nintendo's forecasts are correct, the Switch will be at nearly 38 million units by March 2019. After that, who knows.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be so sure. By March 2008 (two holiday seasons) the Wii had sold 24.5 million units. The Switch is already at nearly 20, so it'll easily pass that number by the end of this year. If Nintendo's forecasts are correct, the Switch will be at nearly 38 million units by March 2019. After that, who knows.

Well I was talking about US but even globally end of March 2008 for Wii is the same as end of June 2018 for Switch so 6 quarters from launch. Switch was at 17.79 million at the end of march and will ship less than 3 million this quarter (probably even less than 2.5 million). It will be millions behind that 24.5 million figure at end of June. it's not going to gain on Wii after that either. Even if they hit their target of 20 million this FY Wii shipped 25.95 million during FY2008 (by end of March 2009).

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
XBox One will still probably end up somewhere in the range of 50 million sold ... Nintendo or Sega would likely tap dance down the street naked if the Wii U, GCN, Saturn, or Dreamcast could've hit that number.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
They could call that mode "The Last of Us"

Thats-Gold-Jerry-Gold-Kenny-Bania-Quote-Gif-On-Seinfeld.gif

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
if you own both you have two consoles you buy games for. if two people each have one it's technically the same.
Technically the WiiU should also be included in those numbers.

So WiiU was best and fastest selling console of all time, adding Wii and DS numbers.

Holy sht! WiiU was the beast we all wanted it to be!

Kaveri

Oct 28, 2017
Do we have any indications on how State of Decay 2, Detroit or Dark Souls Remastered performed? It is obviously still early but I'm really hoping all three did well.

Mar 17, 2018
Hope youre not a Madden fan.

No, and one day hope I can be though. The games get better, but sometimes with the sports genre it just seems things go backward and forward in the most awkward ways throughout the years.

I have faith The Show can polish things up for next year. I know one day I will be impressed with the game again. It goes for all the sports games in some ways. And we know Baseball with its outdoor lighting is going to be tougher than some games especially since you have so many custom animations to deal with, but I still feel the game is not quite where it should be this deep into the PS4 cycle. It's just my one opinion. I just want something that is gonna push the PS4 Pro next year.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Well the Order went on to sell like six bazillion copies and is considered a treasure by many so that makes sense. It also has a 63 on Metacritic, but as you know all games that start with the word The and then the first letter of the next word is O get 30 points added to the Metascore (it is in the French constitution).

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
comparing wii to switch sales numbers is senseless and a little unfair.
switch is a hybrid, so we should compare it to wii and ds sales numbers combined.
This never gets old - goalpost keeps getting moved instead of just accepting that the Switch is a success.

But nah...we have to compare it to 250 million systems sold between DS/Wii lol.