• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Interesting tidbit from Shinobi:

The Order 1886 was profitable.

Happy for Ready at Dawn.

Launching at the start of a generation has pros and cons. The install base is really low, but people are starving for games.

Also it makes marketing stick more, making the game to be rememberd all along the gen, so people ends up buying those games on a sale later on.

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
Well the Order went on to sell like six bazillion copies and is considered a treasure by many so that makes sense. It also has a 63 on Metacritic, but as you know all games that start with the word The and then the first letter of the next word is O get 30 points added to the Metascore (it is in the French constitution).
And The Order 1886 sold really well in the UK.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting tidbit from Shinobi:

The Order 1886 was profitable.

ZLSWV6C.gif

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Where is the sequel then? The IP definitely had potential.
People get confused about this a lot, but they're thinking about it the wrong way.

You don't greenlight a sequel based on whether the first game was profitable. You greenlight it based on whether you think the sequel will be profitable.

You also don't aim for breaking even or mild profits. If you're putting up tens or even hundreds of millions in an investment where you could lose it all, you want a major return to make the risk worthwhile. Otherwise, you just loan out the money or put it in the stock market and get a much larger and safer return.

Games continually cost more as time goes on, and The Order had a very poor reception, so unless Sony thought Ready At Dawn would deliver a vastly better game that could sell notably more, they wouldn't have greenlit a sequel.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I know it's anecdotal but I know 3 people who bought 1886 and don't frequent gaming forums, all bought the game week or day of release and have very negative impressions on 1886. It may have been a small profit because people bought it on the strength of first party but that will not be the case for the sequel I believe.

slavesnyder

Oct 26, 2017
SlaveSnyder Media Corp.
People get confused about this a lot, but they're thinking about it the wrong way.

You don't greenlight a sequel based on whether the first game was profitable. You greenlight it based on whether you think the sequel will be profitable.

You also don't aim for breaking even or mild profits. If you're putting up tens or even hundreds of millions in an investment where you could lose it all, you want a major return to make the risk worthwhile. Otherwise, you just loan out the money or put it in the stock market and get a much larger and safer return.

Games continually cost more as time goes on, and The Order had a very poor reception, so unless Sony thought Ready At Dawn would deliver a vastly better game that could sell notably more, they wouldn't have greenlit a sequel.
not very romantic but true.
good reminder.

5Twist

Oct 27, 2017
Best bet for Ready At Dawn is to keep the setting of The Order, but go with a different title and set of characters. They don't have to focus so much on optimizing their engine, so all that time can be put towards a more fleshed out story and deeper gameplay.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017

Pretty much this - no publisher wants to have +100 people work on a project for 3-4 years only to break even or be somewhat profitable a couple years in.
AAA gaming is a risk they are only willing to take if the result is a potential breakout hit or something that could help them sell more console/services or whatever is being pushed in that period.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
I shared years ago plans for both order and drive club were iced after poor launches and brand perception.

Though that was so long ago, no idea any more if anything has changed again. Those things happen. I just haven't heard anything on either brand in ages

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
PlayStation..

"Games so fucking good, there's no need to talk about em anymore. Instead, let's talk about the bad ones"- ResetEra

Lol, but for real.. I just want to be able to skip the cutscenes in The Order. If I could skip that long ass beginning, I'd play it again.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I shared years ago plans for both order and drive club were iced after poor launches and brand perception.

Though that was so long ago, no idea any more if anything has changed again. Those things happen. I just haven't heard anything on either brand in ages

Shame, but understable. Driveclub is an excellent game but had severe launch issues, and The Order had a lot of potential, but was letdown by poor design choices and reception.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I may be asking for a flaming, but: Knack is overrated swill. It's got a 54 metacritic. Maybe the sales lit the world on fire, maybe they didn't It still got a sequel.

The order isn't much better, but still better, and sales were fine, then I will keep hope.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Do you folks think Detroit marks the end of the partnership with QD? The game hasn't been as well received as people thought, may also effect sales.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I may be asking for a flaming, but: Knack is overrated swill. It's got a 54 metacritic. Maybe the sales lit the world on fire, maybe they didn't It still got a sequel.

The order isn't much better, but still better, and sales were fine, then I will keep hope.

I have to think the budgets of the two games are far different. Plus Knack is a family game, The Order was a single player cinematic narrative based game. Sony has plenty of the latter and not many of the former.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Do you folks think Detroit marks the end of the partnership with QD? The game hasn't been as well received as people thought, may also effect sales.

I think the relationship will continue, Their games add value to Sony's portfolio even if they don't make a lot of money. For example, their games appeal strongly to female gamers as well as male gamers. Having a diverse community is part of what makes PlayStation the biggest gaming brand worldwide. I can't imagine that Detroit won't break even. It'll probably make a tidy profit.

They are also fantastic at leveraging Sony's technology.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
We have no sales data whatsoever. The faintest hint we have is some amazon rankings for May:
#1 https://www.amazon.fr/gp/bestsellers/2018-05/videogames/
#6 https://www.amazon.de/gp/bestsellers/2018-05/videogames/
#2 https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/2018-05/videogames/

I think QD will at least get to make a new prototype for Sony.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada

If Beyond: Two Souls didn't end their partnership, Detroit won't. I've seen much more positive general/critical impressions then with Beyond.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
80 of detorit will end their relation and 69 of beyond didn't ? What ? How does that make sense ?

What is it with any game scoring below 90 means it's bad ? It's in top 20% of ps4 games review wise .

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Until Ready at dawn prove they can make a good new ip sony should look elsewhere, maybe fromsoftware or platinum games.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina

Knack is underrated.

It is a fun game that is nowhere bad like people here try to pass... of course it was flaws but it was a good experience.

Now in The Order case I was like why should somebody should pay to play this Demo with serious flaws.

Knack >>>> The Order.

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

Quantic Dream is not a studio that one can judge based on opinions found in this or similar forums. Their titles continually sell well and have a fan base that likes them. People can rave all they want about how shit David Cage is but he has an audience. That audience is not found on forums like this.

Deleted member 43446

User requested account closure
Banned
May 15, 2018

The only thing I regret from the Driveclub fiasco is that Evolution Studios didn't survive long enough to make a new Motorstorm for this gen.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Sales Era historians, I have a question for you as a curious new Xbox one owner who's been through the exclusives this past month:

Just how bad did sunset over drive and quantum break do? I remember things being pretty dark at the time.