• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Good to know people don't view the Metacritic as a negative, a 79 is indeed a great score. Just looking back at the great partnership Sony had with RAD and how it immediately ended after 1886 I figured they may view Detroit 's reception as a way to cut the rope with QD, I mean most seem to be viewing 79 as a bad score from the review thread.

Last edited:

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit seems to be selling very well from what I've seen locally.

The vocal minority is making it seem like the game is doing poor.

They were saying that with God Of War too. Go back to that pal thread and you'll see lots of comments about how the opening week was extremely low.

And then the game sold more than 5 million units in a month. So now we're back here again.

I live in the UK and bought the game digitally. I'm certain it moved more than 50K when you include digital which always seems higher for exclusives. When you add the rest of Europe, I'm willing to bet there's a party going on right now over at QD.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Good to know people don't view the Metacritic as a negative, a 79 is indeed a great score. Just looking back at the great partnership Sony had with RAD and how it immediately ended after 1886 I figured they may view Detroit 's reception as a way to cut the rope with QD, I mean most seem to be viewing 79 as a bad score from the review thread.

Not going to happen. Sony loves to have a very diversified portfolio as it helps push console sales. Pretty much a something for everyone approach and it has been like this since PS2 days. QD games with this narrative perfectly.

slavesnyder

Oct 26, 2017
SlaveSnyder Media Corp.
This never gets old - goalpost keeps getting moved instead of just accepting that the Switch is a success.

But nah...we have to compare it to 250 million systems sold between DS/Wii lol.
the switch is a great console and doing very well. if we compare it saleswise to wii, ds or Loopin Louie isn't so important.
i i only wanted to say that if nintendo is making a hybrid instead of two separate consoles, this chimera has to carry all the weight of the company.
you can keep my goalposts.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
the switch is a great console and doing very well. if we compare it saleswise to wii, ds or Loopin Louie isn't so important.
i i only wanted to say that if nintendo is making a hybrid instead of two separate consoles, this chimera has to carry all the weight of the company.
you can keep my goalposts.
Nah - Classic consoles, 3DS, mobile and their other ventures are still a thing. Nintendo 2018 is a different company than 2006. There would be no need to bother with a new system if can only be a success if it outperforms Wii+DS numbers.

Hell all three consoles together this gen likely won't sell what Wii/DS sold.

slavesnyder

Oct 26, 2017
SlaveSnyder Media Corp.
Nah - Classic consoles, 3DS, mobile and their other ventures are still a thing. Nintendo 2018 is a different company than 2006. There would be no need to bother with a new system if can only be a success if it outperforms Wii+DS numbers.

Hell all three consoles together this gen likely won't sell what Wii/DS sold.
i accept mobile as an argument, a very good one even. 3ds is becoming irrelevant and classic consoles is fan service, but no pillar of the company.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So with the rumor about Fortnite coming to Switch you guys think it will have an effect on the hardware?

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting tidbit from Shinobi:

The Order 1886 was profitable.

I am glad it was. The characters were memorable to me, and the attention to detail was fantastic. I still believe till this day, a sequel would improve with the feedback they were given.

They should rebrand it. The Reorder.

Oh you, lol.

detroit treats objects like women.

Nice, lol.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
No.

No one is holding out on a switch just to play fortnite. It's available virtually everywhere already.

Will be fun to dabble with it on my Switch though.

You dont think that Fortnite will have a positive effect on Switch hardware ?

That would be surprising looking at how much it pushed HW sales of both the X1 and the PS4.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Would Fortnite on switch have local play? I dont know much about the game

Deleted member 2785

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In a world where GTAV hasn't left the top 10 since the last Ice Age, saying that a massively successful game won't move hardware is a strange one.

Oct 25, 2017
Switch doesn't have a cellular connection so is everyone just going to use their cell phone as a hot spot?

Switch is gonna get a boost because it's Fortnite. Doubt it gets an added boost due to the portable nature of the Switch.

Not sure why kids would buy a $300 device to play it portably by hotspotting via a phone when they can just play it on their phone.

Last edited:

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol how big of a push do you guys think the switch will get with Fortnite? Switch gamers don't seem like the type of people who play competitive games.

Not to mention you can already play it on other platforms which you can buy for much cheaper.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I think that Fortnite would definitely do really well on the Switch and push some hardware, but I can't think of a time when a third party game ever pushed Nintendo hardware sales significantly?

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fortnite on Switch will have a positive impact on Switch hardware I would think

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Switch is gonna get a boost because it's Fortnite. Doubt it gets an added boost due to the portabile nature of the Switch.

Not sure why kids would buy a $300 device to play it portably by hotspotting via a phone when they can just play it on their phone.
It will def get a boost but people in this thread are expecting too much. Don't think it will be anything substantial, especially agree on your last point.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Detroit seems to be selling very well from what I've seen locally.

The vocal minority is making it seem like the game is doing poor.

MC user score is at 8.7, 4.5/5 stars on Amazon so it's getting good WoM in user reviews.

The UK sales kerfuffle is typical idiocy from people who should know better than to extrapolate WW sales from a single territory's physical-only numbers.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Do you folks think Detroit marks the end of the partnership with QD? The game hasn't been as well received as people thought, may also effect sales.

I heard Sony is ending Playstation altogether and of course QD will go out of business since Detroit is a massive failure and didn't break QD record at all.

Deleted member 2785

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think we are going to see Q4 sales at records or at levels we haven't seen since the late 2000s.

Double digit % growth across both physical and digital SW, record sales levels of ACC and GC, HW at levels not seen in over 5 years. Going to be wild.

Of course, Q4 2019 won't be able to replicate so doooooooom will be back then. But that's next year's problem.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I think we are going to see Q4 sales at records or at levels we haven't seen since the late 2000s.

Double digit % growth across both physical and digital SW, record sales levels of ACC and GC, HW at levels not seen in over 5 years. Going to be wild.

Of course, Q4 2019 won't be able to replicate so doooooooom will be back then. But that's next year's problem.
Yeah, every system has a massive lineup for this holiday:
- Sony has Spiderman;
- Nintendo has Smash and Pokémon, as well as getting Fortnite most likely;
- XB1 will gain from the mass of third party games coming out (Fallout 76, RDR2, COD, FIFA, Battlefield, etc.) and maybe they'll go very competitive price-wise.

Every system will sell massively as a result, it'll be fun to see!

Someone will still be doomed one way or another, though

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
I think it won't be doom talk (probably because I underestimate the need for drama in gaming communities) but more of a push to go to next gen as fast as possible. The end of last gen was weird with some of the commentariat declaring stuff like the Ouya a player and mobile's supposed usurpation of all different gaming markets.

Deleted member 2785

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So people that buy into all the rumors from YouTubers... they know that anyone with a computer can make a video right? If there's anything about the younger generation I just don't get it's the willingness to listen to anything said by someone in a video and assume it's all true.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017

Q4 growth will depend on if there will be any new HW debuts methinks. I agree though I think new HW won't debut until Holiday 2020 personally do 2019 would likely be a steep decline without that helping to boost HW, ACC and SW sales.

I'll be curious to see if you're thinking on Spider-Man changes at all post E3 and in the lead up to release. I'm still awfully bullish on it due to a more mass market appeal and the popularity of marvel across multiple different forms of media right now.

Any thoughts on how the market will react to Black Ops 4 not having any single player campaign? Do you think it will hinder sales in any meaningful way? Or perhaps you think it might even result in higher sales due to the excitement around something new and different.

I think Pokemon Lets Go is going to be HUGE but I do think it will sour a lot of the folks who buy it expecting something more in line with a traditional experience. Especially with how differently it handles raising and leveling up your pokemon as I feel like thats a very core element of the franchise for those who are traditionally fans of the series. As such I could see it being much more frontloaded sales wise than we are used to seeing for the series. That said I do expect to push bucket loads of SW and HW on release and have no doubt it will prove extremely successful for GameFreak and Nintendo. What are your thoughts on the pokeball peripheral? Do you think that will gain a lot of traction despite being optional?

I think MS will see revenue growth this holiday too but largely on the backs of a discounted XB1X. I think S sales will be down YoY once all is said and done but revenue overall will be up substantially thanks to the higher pricing of the XB1X. It will be interesting to see what sort of HW some of the big third party releases during Q4 will push for MS. Especially Red Dead and Black Ops 4. I could see a lot of folks with Xb1 and XB1S being pushed to upgrade to an X for these games if they do indeed drop the price of entry a bit as I expect them to.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
So people that buy into all the rumors from YouTubers... they know that anyone with a computer can make a video right? If there's anything about the younger generation I just don't get it's the willingness to listen to anything said by someone in a video and assume it's all true.

I mean its the same principal as to why partisan news has been such a profitable endeavor. Folks like to listen to people telling them what they want to hear regardless of the realities. Look at how insular a lot of these youtube fan circles are and its an easy parallel to make. At least IMO

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They were saying that with God Of War too. Go back to that pal thread and you'll see lots of comments about how the opening week was extremely low.

And then the game sold more than 5 million units in a month. So now we're back here again.

I live in the UK and bought the game digitally. I'm certain it moved more than 50K when you include digital which always seems higher for exclusives. When you add the rest of Europe, I'm willing to bet there's a party going on right now over at QD.

And we've recently had articles mentioning that digital is exceptionally strong in the UK in particular so....

UK video game sales now almost 50% digital

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/metro.c...game-sales-now-almost-50-digital-7051339/amp/

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These figures always have the caveat of including mobile gaming.

This is specifically talking about AAA games with physical copies.

"Confidential digital data, shown to GamesIndustry.biz, reveals that the digital-to-physical split on some AAA console games now exceed 45% in the UK.

Last year, the split was estimated at between 15% and 25%, depending on the game.

GfK data, which only counts physical sales, showed that some recent games have sold below their predecessors - titles such as Destiny 2, FIFA 18, Wolfenstein II, The Evil Within 2, Forza Motorsport 7 and Assassin's Creed Origins. However, according to the data shown to us, some of these games were actually up over their previous titles due to the significant increase in downloading.

"UK retailers have been selling new games closer to their RRP, so although digital titles are still quite expensive, they're now closer to their physical counterparts in terms of price," a senior source said. "Some consumers have clearly found that the convenience of digital offsets the now slight premium - whereas before they were paying upwards of £15 more for the privilege, that's not the case this year."

Another publishing boss said: "The challenge retailers face is how they react to this. To protect their revenue, the temptation may be to keep prices high, but this might only cause the digital acceleration to speed up further."

"EA's financials this week showed that 36% of their PS4 and Xbox One sales are digital on a global basis, and that includes territories with lower broadband penetration. Last year that number was 30%. The firm says that 25% of FIFA 18's sales have been digital after three weeks, whereas FIFA 17's number was just 16%. Madden's download share is also up 9% to 34% of total sales."