• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
With the release schedule starting to become clearer, the next month where the Switch could be topped will probably be in early 2020 imo. Around TLOU2 and FF7R launch.

I think it'll be untouchable this year (given the current momentum, the release schedule and revisions in sight).

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
With the release schedule starting to become clearer, the next month where the Switch could be topped will probably be in early 2020 imo. Around TLOU2 and FF7R launch.

I think it'll be untouchable this year (given the current momentum, the release schedule and revisions in sight).
PS4 will still be down YOY in 2020, Switch isn't being topped until 2021.

I just checked back to how the 360 and PS3 performed YOY starting in holiday 2011, the 7th gen equivalent to holiday 2018. Starting in December 2011, the 360 and PS3 were down YOY every month until January 2013 thanks to that being a 5 week month and even then they were up by only 4/3%. Besides that January and the PS3 in September 2013 with the GTAV bundle which only increased sales 7% YOY, 7th gen were down YOY every month after 2011.

PS4 can maybe have a YOY increase of at most 10% whenever LOU2 or FF7R launches, but that's a max. Switch won't fall to sub 300K whenever that happens.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017

I think the Switch is always susceptible during BF where doorbuster deals ($150 HD Twins) trump Switch bundles but outside that it is smooth sailing.

Oct 26, 2017

I'd say the Switch will probably win most, if not all months, till like the end of 2021. Systems never hit their peak early on and we haven't gotten price drops or revisions for the Switch yet

I think the Switch is always susceptible during BF where doorbuster deals ($150 HD Twins) trump Switch bundles but outside that it is smooth sailing.
Well I'd imagine we're finally gonna see some good deals this Black Friday for the Switch. Pair it with some bundles, price drop, and a revision and the other consoles declining, I think it has a more than fair shot of taking it

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 will still be down YOY in 2020, Switch isn't being topped until 2021.

I just checked back to how the 360 and PS3 performed YOY starting in holiday 2011, the 7th gen equivalent to holiday 2018. Starting in December 2011, the 360 and PS3 were down YOY every month until January 2013 thanks to that being a 5 week month and even then they were up by only 4/3%. Besides that January and the PS3 in September 2013 with the GTAV bundle which only increased sales 7% YOY, 7th gen were down YOY every month after 2011.

PS4 can maybe have a YOY increase of at most 10% whenever LOU2 or FF7R launches, but that's a max. Switch won't fall to sub 300K whenever that happens.
Yeah you might be right but I still think you underestimate the pull of a game like FF7R. With a price point around 200$ for the PS4, it could attract a lapsed audience.

Dark_EMT

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I'm a huge Mortal Kombat fan and want to play the new one so bad. I wish I could buy it to show my support but I can't.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah you might be right but I still think you underestimate the pull of a game like FF7R. With a price point around 200$ for the PS4, it could attract a lapsed audience.
At this point, with the generation winding down, the PS4 reaching 100 million, and the PS4's sales slowing down at this point, I'm not sure there'd be many people holding out for FF7R on the PS4 specifically, especially after a ton of JRPGs at this point. I'd imagine those games would do a lot more for the PS5 than the PS4

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not actually sure a FF7R Part 1 will do as much as people would expect from the whole FF7R everyone thought it would be. That's not even considering that the PS4 has had FFXV and KH3 already, two JRPG's that would have a combined massive pull for that potential FF7R crowd. And with the consistent downward trend of sales, I don't see PS4 over taking Switch. Software in the final year doesn't really push hardware unless you are GTA.

Also I highly doubt PS4 will be $199 MSRP next year. Lowest it's going is $249.